Ixcel
    Nov 2018

Looking for a fatty Kona VS Growler.

Hello all, I am new to MTBR. I have been reading the forums about fat bikes to see what people say about Konas models. In my readings I learned about growler bikes. After looking about there website it looks like they put together quite the package! And there complete wheelsets seem like a super deal when thrown in with a full build.

I was looking into the Wo or Wozo I think I would like there geometry a lot. The Growler Mr big stuff has very similar geometry to the Wo with higher end components. A suspension fork, tubeless tires set up, 1x12 drivetrain, carbon bar and seatpost, all name brand equipment. Starting price of 1900. Sub 30lbs with a Bluto fork.

Has anyone been on a growler and a Kona?

Is there a reason people are not talking about them on the forums?

People talk about treks and mukluks and many others. I saw one older thread about growlers and very few recent mentions.

They sound pretty sweet. Anybody have experience with them?
    Thanks.

Your bike sucks
    Can't speak to the Growler but the Kona Wo is not in the same league as the Wozo. Wozo is a great bike imho - there's a huge thread here. Check it out and see if it sounds like something you'd want.

Oh - and welcome to the forum!

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    I saw that forum. It does seem like a really nice frame.

With the growler you can get the 26" rims with 4.8 and a set of 27.5 with 3.0 for the same price as a complete wozo.
    I could totally see starting with the growler and if I want to upgrade to the wozo frame just swapping them over.

It is the frame that makes the Wozo fun correct?

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    I would love to ride a wo or wozo. Growler bikes has a fat bike ride come up Saturday December 1st
    Anybody near Rochester NY with a wo or wozo? I am near Cleveland OH. My LBS said no dealers around have Kona fats in stock.

https://growlerbikes.com/pages/events

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I'm biased, have 2 Growlers in my garage. My son's is a MBS in a B+ configuration and mine is fat, I have 2 sets of wheels for mine.

Will be there on Saturday, just look for the Saints themed bike or the black with red accents.

In Rochester Tryon Bikes sell Kona bikes and have a fleet of demo units, give them a call.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixcel View Post
    It is the frame that makes the Wozo fun correct?
    IMHO - yes. Long, low geometry. If you look at the (effective) top tube and chain stay length on the Wo & Growler -> you'll find they (growler) don't have nearly the reach as the Wozo and they have chain stays that are like 2'' longer. For me, those are deal breakers because I feel the Wozo geo is what makes it fun to ride. Not everyone is the same and may even prefer longer stays. Part of the reason I encourage you to look at the Wozo thread is you can see they type of riding most ppl are doing and see if that's your bag or not; there are plenty of ppl having a ton of fun just plodding around in the snow on whatever so it may not make that big of a deal unless you know what ride qualities are important to you.

aka bOb
    Just by looking at he geo chart for the Growlers if you are someone who just rides a bike I'm sure they are more than fine. Now if you are someone who really rides a bike I would recommend the Wozo, friggen things rip!! The Wozo only takes up to about a 4.6" tire so if you are wanting bigger take that into consideration as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ride a 2016 Wo,bought while on vacation in Michigan because you couldn't really even test ride one at the time where I live, It's the only bike I want to ride anymore because it just plain goes through whatever. Looks like the geometry of the Growler is really close to the 2016 Wo,except I feel the adjustable sliders for the rear a great asset to me.I can slide them forward to shorten the wheelbase for snappier handling,even with the 4.8 Jumbo Jims it has good clearance and if in inclement conditions they can be slide reward to increase clearance for mud and ice. unfortunately the current Wo has moved downward in price(makes sense with the Wozo above it) and no longer has the adjusters or the Mulefut fims but has a longer toptube and more reach so if you like to do upgrades it could be a good choice (Nice color this year) Kona has a larger dealer network if that is a issue to you. Every year I hope for a sedate color choice on the Wozo as I would like to have one but every year Kona disappoints me on that matter so I hold out again(And would prefer to buy frame only) Nice that Growler gives a crazy color choice menu,but don't even look at their frame only price)

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    So would you recommend buying a complete Kona or finding the frame and doing a custom build?

How often does a wozo frame come around? Or complete used bikes for that matter?

I like the idea of building it over time to spread out the cost. I also like the price on the growlers with the extra wheelsets.

Would the parts switch over from a growler to a wozo?

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    Sweet, I will keep an eye out for you two on Saturday. It will be my first time on a fat bike.

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    So you ride a no suspension Wo year round? What kind of trails do you ride? How do you like the gearing?

I did not know they used to have adjustable rear sliders on the Wo.

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    unfortunately I do not yet know what ride qualities are important to me which is why I want to get on some bikes to feel them out.

Sweet, I will keep an eye out for you two on Saturday. It will be my first time on a fat bike.
    You'll have a blast regardless of what bike you ride, hope the snow sticks around long enough for us to have fun.

mtbr member
    I find shorter chainstays fine until I come to a steep climb, especially in snow. The front end becomes too light and to weight it can cause a spin out. Despite having adjustable stays on both the Muk and Otso I found I like them better slammed back. Then again, no one has ever accused me of "really riding".

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Loud Performance in Bemus Point, NY.. just about 2.5 hours from Cleveland, has Growlers and carry Kona I believe. Long Point State Park is just a mile down the road, perhaps you can get some time on each one.... I'm a Growler fan myself.. but if sliding dropouts are a necessity, then you have your answer right there.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Then again, no one has ever accused me of "really riding".
    You should try it out sometime it's fun. Sorry about my previous comment, I was just poking the bees hive some

There are just different types of riding neither better or worse just different. I can go out on all day rides and have a blast on pretty much any bike. Then I can hit the jump lines and high speed chunk and not "just" anything will do.

p.s. I am also one that prefers just a little bit longer cs in the snow, just a tad tho.

A little Wozo fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a fatty Kona VS Growler.-screenshot_20181101-211007.jpg  

Last edited by bdundee; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So you ride a no suspension Wo year round? What kind of trails do you ride? How do you like the gearing?

I did not know they used to have adjustable rear sliders on the Wo.
    Rode it 2 years rigid,no problems but had to go slow on descents to maintain control if rocky/rooty(I am closing in on 60 years old,so being careful) put on Bluto at 100mm travel,feels good,better control downhill,did not harm steering. Bluto is likely too flexible for 120mm travel but I haven't tried that as you have to buy different air shaft for different travel. Very happy with bike right now. Maybe I will build it some nice wheels with good hubs,no issues with stockers though,just curious about quick engaging hubs.
    https://konabikes.com/shop/bike-shop...rame-fork.html Wo Frames/Fork 600 bucks,If they were 500 I would buy one as a backup/maybe 29+ configuration bike. small and medium only,they also have small Wozo frame only for about the same price. I would not go for the slightly cheaper 2015 due to the small steering head tube limiting the forks to straight 1 1/8" only unless I was 100% sure I never wanted a suspension fork.

Put on a 42 tooth cassette and went to 1 by up front 28 tooth chain ring

Any trail is ok,ride alot of motorcycle trail,or any trail at Brown County state park in Indiana. I am a Motorcycle Trials rider for main entertainment,just a midrange one though.

I just noticed that the Growler and the Motobecane Sturgis have almost identical geometry,to the hundredth of a inch on some specs,so you might check Bikes Direct for possible choices.
    Last edited by htrdoug; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    I just noticed that the Growler and the Motobecane Sturgis have almost identical geometry,to the hundredth of a inch on some specs,so you might check Bikes Direct for possible choices.
    I did a lot of test riding locally at the bike shops and test rode the Wo three times. The bike shop wouldn't move on price (at all) despite my being a regular and buying lots from them in the past (including one FS mountain bike). I was disappointed and kept looking.

Then someone mentioned the same thing about the geometry so I checked them out. For almost the same price I picked up a Night Train Bullet Titanium, which had a much better build, lifetime frame, and Bluto & Mulefuts. That was 3 years ago and I still love it.

I met the Growler crew at NEMBAFEST and was very impressed with them and their bikes. If I had to do it over I'd look into them more than BD, mainly because there is little to no support with BD and they were awesome people.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    They're the same frame or very similar but the Growler has a few different little things that makes it different. The first gen had no rack mounts and no chain guide, those were added to the second gen (which I have) and for the third gen the guide is out and believe it has internal routing for a dropper post.

Asked about those changes when we picked my sons bike and was told by them that they have a good relationship with the frame builder and that allows for subtle changes to the frame.

So if you're looking to save some coin maybe BD is a thing to consider if you don't care about color schemes, custom build specs and supporting a company that's involved in the local mtb scene.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You should try it out sometime it's fun. Sorry about my previous comment, I was just poking the bees hive some

There are just different types of riding neither better or worse just different. I can go out on all day rides and have a blast on pretty much any bike. Then I can hit the jump lines and high speed chunk and not "just" anything will do.

p.s. I am also one that prefers just a little bit longer cs in the snow, just a tad tho.

A little Wozo fun.
    You are so Enduro...

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    Haha very subtle.
    I am all about the local companies. Part of the reason I am going on about the growlers is because I emailed them with some questions and the owner called me an hour later and we talked for a half hour. That was awesome.

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    I wish I had local shops that carried any fat bikes for that matter. I am stoked about riding with the Growler community tomorrow. Anybody ride around Cleveland OH? I am looking for people to ride with.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    You are so Enduro...
    Not so much right now anyways

Got to the Growler gathdring a bit late and missed the group ride start, rode with a smaller group and then hung out at the lodge.

Also missed meeting Ixcel, hope he got a good ride in one of the demos.

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    I was there! It was awesome! I talked to a bunch of people at the lodge somehow we did not meet?

I was there! It was awesome! I talked to a bunch of people at the lodge somehow we did not meet?
    yeap, that unfortunately happened.

my son was checking the wheels on your subaru

Ixcel
    Nov 2018
    Haha! I was looking at bikes to find the ones you described. Another time! I hope to buy my own and will come to local rides.