mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Looking for fatbike guru's to help design/part list a fatbike for my needs!

Hi Fatbikers! I've been reading the heck out of this fatbike forum for awhile now to try and learn the lingo and options for what will be the first mountain bike i've bought in a long long time. I do have a very specific mission for this bike and not sure an off the shelf will do, i'm thinking more now that i've read just enough to be dangerous that a frame set and build it up is in order and curious what info or help I can get in a build for this. I want to hunt off this thing, in the mountains, gravel roads sure, horse trails too, and off trail altogether when needed. I want to bikepack off of it and i'll need to sling some meat on it for the ride/roll out once in awhile. I will need it up to the end of October in Alberta's rockies. I'm 40 yrs old, 6' 170-175 lbs and stay in shape, I hike lots of the spots I want to now ride and simply want to expand my options now that i've drug my old mountain bike into a couple places and really enjoyed it and especially enjoyed that I could actually get back into my truck end of a long day and even better I could get back out of my truck when I got home as it seems with long hike days etc. my knees really hate me when its over...the bike thing saved me being able to roll down instead of hammer down...plus I just loved it. I grew up riding horses into these places with my dad back in the day but the horse thing never took, even back when I thought i'd rather be pedaling and now finally after a couple rides and googling hunting from mountain bikes i'm all over this fatbike thing as it looks to be the closest thing to a horse that I don't have to feed all year that I can get so i'm pumped. Not sure why I can't make paragraphs so I apologize...is it me or the forum? I hit enter but nothing happens. Anyhow, I like the sounds of these new specialized and trek bikes coming down the pike but reality is the pugsley might be the hot ticket for my needs, I am really interested in using that alfine 8 hub set up and fitting a big frame bag in would appeal to me also even at the penalty of a heavier bike than these new aluma wonders. I'm ok with a 20mph top speed as long as low is low enough to hump me and 30-50 lbs of gear into some real back country. I want a simple tough reliable steed I don't have to pay much attention to over the years. What would you build for me if you could? Sincerely AlbertaHunter, p.s. up to say $3k budget would make most sense for me, I like good stuff but want to keep it real for the intended purpose, this will be a long ways from racing end of spectrum...I need a good horse not a race horse

mtbr member
    Pugsley or Moonlander depending on how fat you want your wheels.

Handbuilt set of wheels for strength from a person who knows what's needed on fatbike expeditions - that would be mikesee on here.

You'll get lower ratios with a derailleur setup, but an Alfine 8 is pretty well trouble free (the Alfine 11 just gives 3 higher gears, not lower).

Everything else is just normal mtb stuff.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post

Handbuilt set of wheels for strength from a person who knows what's needed on fatbike expeditions - that would be mikesee on here.

You'll get lower ratios with a derailleur setup, but an Alfine 8 is pretty well trouble free (the Alfine 11 just gives 3 higher gears, not lower).

Everything else is just normal mtb stuff.
    Any chance there are good builders for this in Calgary area? Pretty green and have only researched bike stuff so far and not much on who/where, there is a ton of mountain bike action in this part of world so maybe some locals or builders on forum too? I've sat on the moonlander/pugs at bowcycle Calgary here and I do believe the pugs would be better suited to my mission. Would be happy to have my wheels built up by a guy that knows his stuff like mikesee too. Lets get a parts list hammered out somewhat. Thinking comfortable geometry and position etc. I can't seem to get comfortable on current bike especially in the hands/wrists area, the rest of me does ok, feet go a bit numb at times while exercising in flexible running runners around town on my 15.8 k loop with 205m elevation gain I'm doing...seems a bit aggressive a position. Its old Trek 9000 or something in 18" frame and I did upgrade saddle and bars last year and like the saddle but still unhappy with bars, like I can't sit up enough to relax when needed or not enough hand positions maybe?

mtbr member
    As above, sounds the ideal bike, what the dudes built it for
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    go with stock bike?, or maybe do a frame build with 2x10 or 1x10 or alfine 8 and mikesee built wheels and choose more versatile handlebar etc.?

Hey, my return key works on these quick replies...i'll stick to that! I tried searching say 1x10 vs alfine 8 but didn't come up with much and I've been trying to understand gearing more and can't seem to find the percentage ratio of say 1x10 or 2x10 vs the 300 n some percentage of the alfine 8. So still uncertain or the best drivetrain for this single purpose bike? Any help understanding or opinions from more users on what they would go with for said bike build be greatly appreciated. I'm usually not a fan of bone stock anything lol, I do like better or more purpose built gear in general. edit, ok return key not working on edit...my current trek has three cogs up front and 9 out back its a trek 6500 zx before disc brake era and on my town loop I can do it all in the middle cog up front even pulling the kid trailer with the dog in it as I do like to stand and pedal on half the hills but I know I would want some of the granny ratios in the mountains so hope that helps...I did pedal the current rig to about as fast as I could on one of my downhill stretches to 60 km/h but have zero desire to ever go that fast on a pedal bike but it does seem like there is a ton of redundancy with all the gears i'm currently used too, I rarely skip one gear at a time, its usually 2-3

turtles make me hot
    190mm 9Zero7 frame with Clownshoes, 1x10 drivetrain. X9 Crankset with a Wolftooth 30 tooth chainring.

After you've ridden this for a while, get a second set of hubs and build up a pair of Surly Rabbit Holes with Knards. They'll fit. Two bikes in one.

This is exactly what I'm doin'.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    +1 - just buy a complete bike and upgrade as you wear out parts.

I'd go with a Moonlander for max floatation and ease of exploring based on your intended use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There is a fatbike store in Edmonton, I forget the name now but he was one of the only guys to have Husker Du in stock when I needed it.

Go Moonlander for sure if you are buying it for winter riding,
    Alfine 8 will be an upgrade if you have wet icy snow, but your results in dry powder may be better than us out east.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    moonlander in large ordered today, thanks! should have by x-mas time i'm told, the color even works for my needs, I test rode last gen large and they did have the latest one in medium...had to have the large so gotta wait...stoked

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a 2014 Bigfoot that I had for a year. I have coming this week a Rocky Mountain Blizzard and changed the gearing to have a 42 tooth on rear cassette and changed the front to 2 sprockets that are 22tooth and 32 tooth so I have really low gearing and some higher ones for faster running. My Bigfoot has the same up front but only a 36 tooth on the back. the 42tooth will be super low for heavy loads and SLOW going. these Rocky Mountain bikes are made in Vancouver BC