A little fat bike stoke from Socal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A little fat bike stoke from Socal

True, not much snow to be had around these parts... but there are miles and miles of sandy washes out in the desert that are positively perfect for a Pugsley. In the past I've got off and pushed through many a bottomless sandpit on rides out here, but not this time! Here's a few from a place called Fish Creek Wash in Anza Borrego State Park from last week:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000615.jpg  

A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000622.jpg  

A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000644a.jpg  

A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000809.jpg  

A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000820.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice pictures. Just got a fat myself. We have miles and miles of wash systems and get snow in the winter. NE Arizona (High Desert/Navajoland).

mtbr member
    Nice shots! That looks like a killer place to ride. Thanks for sharing the stoke.

mtbr member

I Remember that Spot!

Great photos. Your post reminded me of the days I used to explore that area in my Jeep. I was driving past Glamis this weekend and figured the sand was too soft for riding there (and waaay too many offroaders), but hadn't quite made the connection to the places I used to go offroading. A well placed stoke that gets me one step closer to pulling the trigger on one of these bikes.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Great pics...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Beautiful man!!

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    Wonderful. Would you tell us what camera setup that you used.

mtbr member
    Great photos! They Should be posters for Surly

Rednose/Greenback
    Great lighting and compositions. And then there's the scenery...wow.
    Well done
    38 54' -77 15

Just Ride!
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Awesome.

Geordie biker
    Woah, stunning and yeah these are good enough to hang on any wall
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oh yeah, well we may not have beautiful, breathtaking scenery like that here in Illinois, but at least we have terrible, bitter cold wind and in a few weeks, we'll have some crappy, icey snow!

Damn. That doesn't sound nearly as good as I thought it might.:skip:

mtbr member
    I love desert fatbiking. The first time I brought my Pugs to Baja the light switch went on in my brain - it was obvious how rad a fatbike was for sandy/rocky desert riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I love desert fatbiking. The first time I brought my Pugs to Baja the light switch went on in my brain - it was obvious how rad a fatbike was for sandy/rocky desert riding.
    Vik, we gotta get you down here to Central/Eastern Wa.! I'll PM you some "Propaganda"...

mtbr member
    thanks for the kind words on the photos. Here's a few remarks/answers to some of the comments you all have made:

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5.

As for riding in Fish Creek (or any other area near the popular OHV places in Cali) it can be done! Get started REAL early. Only way I was able to beat the crowd was to start before dawn. On the ride back there was toooo much exhaust for my taste but up in the boonies I had the area all to myself. In a few weeks I plan on doing a traverse from Palm Springs to Noble Canyon. Should be fun.

Yes, fat bikes rock! I find myself in all sorts of cool places with my Pugs, here's a few from an overnighter last month up near Bishop. A more natural setting perhaps, but still sorta Socal and definitely more fat bike stoke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000420a2.jpg  

A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000449a2.jpg  

A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000508a2.jpg  

A little fat bike stoke from Socal-p1000460a2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anybody free next weekend (dec10-11) I've been dieing to get out on the fatbike and my hand is finally healed. looks like we have more than a few Socal fatbikers on here now Area45, Doughboy2, Dirtdad??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    that look fantastic riding, nothing like that here in the UK, and great snaps as well ;-)

mtbr member
    Great pictures! Makes me miss Socal...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great photographs! I live in San Diego as well and have gotten the fat tire bug. I see the desert as my prime location for riding the bike. Question, is the Pug able to float over the soft sand in Anza Borrego. Are you having any issues with flat tires? If you were to buy a bike today which one of the following would you purchase for the desert, Pug, Necromancer, or Moonlander? Why?

Thanks

Justin

Dr Gadget is IN
    Not San Diego, but southern NM - with similar arroyos. My 100mm rims with Larrys float well unless it's river bottom deep sugar sand, and even then it's "doable".

Flats? Not from the arroyos themselves, but in the desert yes - so put sealant in your tubes. Homebrew latex based sealant is working well for me after an early ride that earned me 6 punctures w/o sealant. 100 pumps on a Lezyne every 15-20 minutes got me back. Punctures haven't been an issue since sealant.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the locust View Post
    Anybody free next weekend (dec10-11) I've been dieing to get out on the fatbike and my hand is finally healed. looks like we have more than a few Socal fatbikers on here now Area45, Doughboy2, Dirtdad??

I can't go that weekend, but I could probably make time the weekend after, or after xmas. I'd like to get up to Bishop, or maybe even just Big Bear. An overnighter would be ideal.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepgear View Post
    If you were to buy a bike today which one of the following would you purchase for the desert, Pug, Necromancer, or Moonlander? Why?

Thanks

Justin
    If you're going to ride soft conditions, widest is bestest. At this point in time, of the three you mention - that's the Moonlander. A Fatback, or a 907 could be built up with the same/similar 100mm rims and Big Fat Larrys to get the same float, and offer the option of a symmetrical rear hub/frame.

So far, the only drawback to fat/fatty/fattest is a bit more weight. Which you only notice grinding up steep singletrack. But only if it's hardpack - if it's a loose climb the traction makes you forget the weight anyways.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Free parking, ride a bike
    Dec 2011

... and if we just ... Pugsley

Just purchased my Pug on Clist. Happy to see the fatties are alive and well in SoCal. Can't wait to take mine to Borrego, thanks for posting the pics.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice Pics , Wish i had a Fat bike instead of just me being fat . cheers have a great week end guys and gals

mtbr member
    SoCal guys make sure you check in on this thread as well so we can get a sense of where everyone is at. Might be another fatbiker in your 'hood!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I did that same ride 13 years ago fully loaded on my early Stumpjumper. My bro and I did it together and definitely bit off more than we wanted to chew. it was one of the few times I wasn't sure I would be able to finish. I would love to do it again on my Pugs. Would be much easier/better.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by Area45 View Post
    I can't go that weekend, but I could probably make time the weekend after, or after xmas. I'd like to get up to Bishop, or maybe even just Big Bear. An overnighter would be ideal.
    Next weekend is bad for me, too, but the following weekend (17/18) or the weekend after xmas (dec 31/jan1) could work. If there is snow on SART (Santa Ana River Trail) above Angelus Oaks, I would like to try that.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Free parking, ride a bike
    Dec 2011
    Definitely interested in hooking up for a dez ride, I'm in north San Diego.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Awesome photos! I want a fat bike more and more each day.

mtbr member
    i really love your photos... and it looks like a relly interessting and beautyfull trail...