On-line Surly Full Bike Dealers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

On-line Surly Full Bike Dealers?

Hey all - I'm ready to pull the trigger on my first fat bike. Looking for a Surly Wednesday (maybe or an ICT). Understandably, all my local dealers are out of stock. Surly says they aren't building any more of the current model and will release a new color sometime in the fall. I'm impatient! lol Anyone know of an online place for me to look? Just curious... tia

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I was recently looking for a specific longboard-skateboard (that industry is in the same situation) and couldn't find it on any of the usual suspect sites.

Interestingly enough, google shopping found it for me at a little skate shop in Florida, who shipped it to me. I had never tried that before, but it worked, may be worth a shot.
    Surly Krampus

Surly Karate Monkey

Surly Cross Check

Masi CX Uno Steel

Radically Redundant.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Being in weird and strange times, it is about the worst time to be looking for something.
    Everything has been effected by the Covid 19.
    I should know because I am in the middle of building up a brand new bike myself......
    Bad timing on my part but for the record I started this all Sept 2019.

I looked at Universal but they have next to nothing for inventory.
    Unless you can find a bike store with inventory or a smaller online dealer.
    Sorry........
    Good Luck!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

This place needs an enema
    IIRC Surly's can't be sold online.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I believe they are allowing it now...

good call on google shopping - could only find an xs tho...

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Try tricitybicycles.com - they are a Surly dealer and may have stock. Located in NH. (they update their FB page more than their site: https://www.facebook.com/pg/CthulhuB...=page_internal)

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    IIRC Surly's can't be sold online.
    I read somewhere that Surly and Salsa were forgoing the internet restriction due to the scamdemic...
    Still going to be a challenge to find much stock available with the current state of bike sales tho'.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Scamdemic... Lol!
    Hadn't heard that before.
    Last edited by Bikemusher; 1 Week Ago at 10:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    scamdemic...
    LOL.... Once you get it, you realise it's certainly not a scam, longest period of illness I have ever had, and I never even got the Pneumonia bit!

Good luck with your search Pasta4lnch!!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    LOL.... Once you get it, you realise it's certainly not a scam, longest period of illness I have ever had, and I never even got the Pneumonia bit!
    Unfortunately, the pathogen is not a scam, but what is going on as a result is in so many ways.

OP, let us know what you discover in your quest.
    Doctor recommended...

This place needs an enema
    Unfortunately, the pathogen is not a scam, but what is going on as a result is in so many ways.

Which part? The 40,000 new cases yesterday, or the 37,000 new cases the day before?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Which part? The 40,000 new cases yesterday, or the 37,000 new cases the day before?
    The rubber stamping of death certs for one. So the rioters are coming to the forefront as well. People that cannot stop and use common sense are highly susceptible to contracting COOTIES-19, 20 right up to 89... All is not well in utopia.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    OP, let us know what you discover in your quest.
    tri-city has an ICT which is also fine, but its a large and I think I will need a medium. Specs don't look that much different - and I've NEVER been a medium for anything. EVER! lol. debating if I want to drive all the way or ship. Still looking for alternatives.

I'm pretty set on either a Wednesday or ICT but there is this nagging feeling that I never have actually ridden one - or any fat bike for that matter. I'm sure I'll dig it, but still...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The virus is so bad we have to close down the United States...but rioting and pot stores are good to go....and all the big box stores where large groups of people gather can also stay open....but not churches, they're a no go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was in a similar position two years ago. I was pretty sure I wanted a fat bike to replace my then-current trail bike. I wanted an ICT, but there were none to be had so I "settled" on a Wednesday sight-unseen and have no regrets at all. I am 5'11" with a cycling inseam of 32 or 33 inches I would guess. Its a medium and while I feel like a large would be fine too I have no issues at all on this size.

If the shop with it in stock is not terribly far away I would say sitting on the saddle and getting a feel for the size of the frame is worth the gas and road-sandwhich. Just be prepared to buy the bike if it fits

mtbr member
    May 2020
    The shop is really far away so I want to make sure. My current ride, a Redline Monocog, seems to be the medium spec. My concern is how far the handle bars are away from the seat. I put a riser on the monocog's stem which helped greatly, but I still wish they were back another inch or two.

Been debating this also - riser bars seem to be a better way than stem riser. Though the ones I'm looking at have a different grip. I'm not really explaining this right - I like the rise of the surly sunrise bar but the grips are bent inwards. I cant see how that will do anything but take control away. Most riser bars where the grips are straight dont go up all that high...clearly there is a lot I need to learn...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Surlys = spacers. I have like 4 or 5 under my stem to get it where I wanted it. Same for my CrossCheck as I wanted to be slightly more upright on the drops. You have options outside of rises and bars to get the stack where you want it.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Pasta, where on the island are you? I am just north of NYC, you are welcome to come pedal my wednesday around. 😀

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If anyone is looking for a Prickly Pear ICT frame, I have a brand new in-the-box size medium that I am going to sell! I took it out of the box once to check the color. I was going to sell my gen 1 ICT but decided to keep it!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Pasta, where on the island are you? I am just north of NYC, you are welcome to come pedal my wednesday around. 😀
    Never on a Friday, Rodney!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Pasta, where on the island are you? I am just north of NYC, you are welcome to come pedal my wednesday around. 
    Cool!! Thanks for the offer!! I just may hit you up next time I go up that way...

Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    If anyone is looking for a Prickly Pear ICT frame, I have a brand new in-the-box size medium that I am going to sell! I took it out of the box once to check the color. I was going to sell my gen 1 ICT but decided to keep it!
    DM'd

Quote Originally Posted by fly4130 View Post
    Surlys = spacers. I have like 4 or 5 under my stem to get it where I wanted it. Same for my CrossCheck as I wanted to be slightly more upright on the drops. You have options outside of rises and bars to get the stack where you want it.
    Pardon the newb question - I have seen this, what are the specifics? Its not just adding a spacer? What do I have to change out to bring it up a little.

The deity high-rise 80mm brings me up around where my current bike is. Id like to experiment gong up just a smidge more from there...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Can we get back on topic please? Something something its a scam but also super duper deadly? I'm learning so much here, like crystal clear mud water.
    Surly Krampus

Surly Karate Monkey

Surly Cross Check

Masi CX Uno Steel

Radically Redundant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasta4lnch View Post
    Pardon the newb question - I have seen this, what are the specifics? Its not just adding a spacer? What do I have to change out to bring it up a little.
    If you have length in your steerer tube available you can simply put more spacers on it to raise up the stem. I have 50mm of spacers on my Wednseday. If your steerer has already been cut then your options are limited to riser stems or bars. If you are getting a brand new fork or one that has not been cut down too much you have more options. If not you are stuck with what you got and need to work around it.

It seems to me that Surly designs their frames around a bit of a lower head tube to allow for room to customize the bar position via spacers.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Oh cool! I think this coupled w a riser bar should do the trick for me. I know its not the norm, but my Redline was killing my neck when I rode it. After the stem riser its was way better. When I get the new bike I want to set it up similar height or a smidge higher...

Quote Originally Posted by fly4130 View Post
    If you have length in your steerer tube available you can simply put more spacers on it to raise up the stem. I have 50mm of spacers on my Wednseday. If your steerer has already been cut then your options are limited to riser stems or bars. If you are getting a brand new fork or one that has not been cut down too much you have more options. If not you are stuck with what you got and need to work around it.

It seems to me that Surly designs their frames around a bit of a lower head tube to allow for room to customize the bar position via spacers.

Rippin da fAt
    The shop is really far away so I want to make sure. My current ride, a Redline Monocog, seems to be the medium spec. My concern is how far the handle bars are away from the seat. I put a riser on the monocog's stem which helped greatly, but I still wish they were back another inch or two.

Been debating this also - riser bars seem to be a better way than stem riser. Though the ones I'm looking at have a different grip. I'm not really explaining this right - I like the rise of the surly sunrise bar but the grips are bent inwards. I cant see how that will do anything but take control away. Most riser bars where the grips are straight dont go up all that high...clearly there is a lot I need to learn...
    With an uncut fork, you can stack up spacers between the stem and headset to raise the stem height and cut to fit at that point. As for the backsweep of bars, that can make for comfort or discomfort. I run with 40mm spacers on a few bikes to get positioned where I like to be. Riser bars can be had in 3" rise. A good place to peruse bar options is universal cycles.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks! I can't imagine any significant back sweep being comfortable. Some of the higher risers (like the surly sunrise) have so much. I get the cruiser thing, and not that I'm riding any technical trails or anything, I am mostly concerned about the height. Even the placement of where the grips are, not the angle. I wish mine were an inch closer. I think I can achieve this w a shorter stem - probably stronger for my large frame too...I think I may go for the Deity Highrise 80mm which is I think is very similar to the sunrise but w less back sweep.

I like the idea of spacers - I'd like to try higher, but ultimately I may not like it. Seems like an easy adjustment.

With an uncut fork, you can stack up spacers between the stem and headset to raise the stem height and cut to fit at that point. As for the backsweep of bars, that can make for comfort or discomfort. I run with 40mm spacers on a few bikes to get positioned where I like to be. Riser bars can be had in 3" rise. A good place to peruse bar options is universal cycles.

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks! I can't imagine any significant back sweep being comfortable. Some of the higher risers (like the surly sunrise) have so much. I get the cruiser thing, and not that I'm riding any technical trails or anything, I am mostly concerned about the height. Even the placement of where the grips are, not the angle. I wish mine were an inch closer. I think I can achieve this w a shorter stem - probably stronger for my large frame too...I think I may go for the Deity Highrise 80mm which is I think is very similar to the sunrise but w less back sweep.

I like the idea of spacers - I'd like to try higher, but ultimately I may not like it. Seems like an easy adjustment.
    The use of 10mm spacers stacked will afford the opportunity to raise/lower stem position in 10mm increments. No cutting until you no longer feel the need to experiment with bar/stem height. It is not only inexpensive, it is easy and kinda fun to mess around with the setup and get to try different options.

Surly Sunrise is 14 backsweep so not really extreme as say, a Jones bar. Those are kinda homely anyway... I know some folks love em tho', just not my cup o rosie. I do like the appearance of the Sunrise since it reminds me of times been and gone in the klunker world.

Also, spend a little time trying different adjustments by rolling the bars forward a few or back a few.
    Doctor recommended...