Lightweight / Drilled rims for AZ Desert?- Mtbr.com
    Rhino

Lightweight / Drilled rims for AZ Desert?

Does anyone have any experience with lightweight or drilled rims for (Arizona) desert and singletrack riding. I never ride snow, and ride mainly rocky desert and singletrack...hard. I abuse my bike like I really hate it. I am using bomb proof Large Marges with no problems. I would rather not invest in a lighter wheelset, only to dent them up pretty bad.

Any advice?

I totally realize I am using the wrong tool for the job here. Save it. My wife rarely uses a screwdriver for it's intended purpose, but I don't yell at her.

I'm a Target Too.
    If you're under 2 bills, drill 'em. If you're over, drill 'em anyway.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with lightweight or drilled rims for (Arizona) desert and singletrack riding. I never ride snow, and ride mainly rocky desert and singletrack...hard. I abuse my bike like I really hate it. I am using bomb proof Large Marges with no problems. I would rather not invest in a lighter wheelset, only to dent them up pretty bad.

Any advice?

I totally realize I am using the wrong tool for the job here. Save it. My wife rarely uses a screwdriver for it's intended purpose, but I don't yell at her.
    Are your Marges scratched? Do they actually take hits? You most certainly do not want a wider rim, if you aren't riding soft surfaces - but there are strong, light trials rims that might suit you.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Drilled double wall is a neat idea. Someone should do that for an 80mm rim.

mtbr member
    Great place to collect rocks.
    The LPG

Rhino
    @wadester...I am scratching the Marges up a little bit. They take some dings from plowing through the rocks, but no dents. You are correct that I don't want wider rims, but I do ride lots of sandy washes in the desert, so I don't want a narrow rim either. The Marges seem fine, just little heavy after a long day and several thousand feet of climbing. I dent up my XC wheels pretty bad, which makes me a little cautious. I'm not a rockcrusher, weight in a 168, just stubborn and the bikes take a beating.

mtbr member
    Possibly consider a single wall non-drilled rim in similar width to the Marge. They should lighter and a little more durable. If you want to try the drilled route I have set of used drilled Speedway UMA II's 70mm rims in great shape that I could part with for a fair price.
    The LPG

This place needs an enema

Any advice?

You've already got the best tool for the job. Nothing else will hold up as well to what you're doing than the LM's you've already got.

mtbr member
    those echo sl rear rims really aren't that light. The Atomz trials rim is lighter but only 48mm wide.I would suggest waiting it out and get a Marge Lite when they come out and maybe some folding bead tires
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Why not just drill you Marge's?

2011_0212holeymarge0004 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

All fat, all the time.
    Yah, I vote for drilling out your current rims.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You've already got the best tool for the job. Nothing else will hold up as well to what you're doing than the LM's you've already got.
    thanks. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and hit the gym. I guess when you stop worrying about the weight, it doesn't seem so heavy. Shut up and ride is what I'll do.

Frt Range, CO
    How many grams saved by drilling?

Losing Ground
    Hey Rhino, maybe your XC wheels wouldn't take so much abuse if you added some suspension. -JK

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Guipago View Post
    Hey Rhino, maybe your XC wheels wouldn't take so much abuse if you added some suspension. -JK
    True, but I look so silly riding suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I saved around 250gms per rim,25mm holes on unbranded 80mm double walls.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by sfbp View Post
    I saved around 250gms per rim,25mm holes on unbranded 80mm double walls.
    Does the amount sand, rocks, mud, and dirt that you collect inside the double wall negate any weight savings?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

thanks. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and hit the gym. I guess when you stop worrying about the weight, it doesn't seem so heavy. Shut up and ride is what I'll do.
    I just did my first ride on the fat bike with Large Marge DH rims, Nates, and the Surly inner tubes, on a wet root filled trail with STEEP ups and downs. The only time I thought about the weight was while loading the bike in the van.

I would never drill a double wall rim for general trail use. Would just fill with muck.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Agreed! I tried un-holey Darryls in western Colorado desert/arroyos and they were way more "fragile" than the LM's ( I do weigh 225#'s).

Drilled Marges, I think, would fill with small rocks and drive me crazy with noise.

If you have the Marge DH's, maybe try the Marge XC's...the inner wall is drilled out to save some wieght.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does the amount sand, rocks, mud, and dirt that you collect inside the double wall negate any weight savings?
    Tape over the holes.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I'd say that I'd collect only a few grams of debris,although if its wet,a fair bit of water,no where near the 250gms of removed ally though !

mtbr member
    that's why singlewall > doublewall
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats