Lightest chain lube for fatbikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Lightest chain lube for fatbikes?

They are FAT bikes. Stop being so damn concerned about every little gram and go ride your bike. Do whatever you want to it without worrying about weight so much.

It seems like so many threads on here always mention weight and it's like I'm on roadbikereview!

Rant over. I use Gnarlube on my Pugsley. It smells like coconuts and works well.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

nvphatty
    me likey coconut

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I know. It's horrible. It ruins individuals, families, and tears apart the very fabric of society. It's the silent killer.

I've spent hundreds of dollars to get my fatbike under 30 lbs., but when I look at it in the mirror, I still see a FAT bike.

Help me, JAG! How do I stop the madness?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    How do I stop the madness?
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use lard - I can't imagine there being any alternative. Environmentally* friendly, too.

* Vegans may argue otherwise.

nvphatty
    Is bacon grease a viable option??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    They are FAT bikes. Stop being so damn concerned about every little gram...
    You don't have many big fences to lift yours over, eh?

I find the lightest chainlube is refined Whale Oil, and the best stuff is from baby Mincke whales, but at a push boiled porpoise oil cut with methylated spirit prevents the performance hit from the excessive weight of ordinary eco-oil.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    You don't have many big fences to lift yours over, eh?
    No, not at all. I was taught that trespassing is illegal
    Jason

mtbr member
    No, not at all. I was taught that trespassing is illegal
    No trespass laws in Scotland. We can (and do) go where we like.

Obviously good manners come into it - you don't ride through someone's garden or crops etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Is bacon grease a viable option??
    Should work for Fatbacks.
    Latitude 61

is buachail foighneach me
    They are FAT bikes. Stop being so damn concerned about what other riders are doing and go ride your bike. Do whatever you want to it without worrying about what others do to their's so much.

fify

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hmm. Don't have any of that. But I'll trade ya a can of STFU.

Perpetual n00b
    No trespass laws in Scotland. We can (and do) go where we like.

Obviously good manners come into it - you don't ride through someone's garden or crops etc.
    This is why I hate you

When I was a kid I thought this is what a free country meant but I was wrong. Learned that lesson when I was in 3rd grade. My buddies and I would shortcut to and from school through some woods that turned out to be someone's private property. We got caught and the owner told us to keep out. I never thought I was breaking the law. Always figured it was nature's woods and we were just passing through!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    ...When I was a kid I thought this is what a free country meant but I was wrong...
    The question is when did someone decide that you didn't have the freedom? It was there from time immemorial, but at some stage that right was taken away. Did the population vote for this restriction? Unlikely, so the right was stolen from your ancestors. Maybe it's time to demand it back.

Most of the Scandanavian countries have similar freedom of access as Scotland.

We're not completely OT here, just it's now what's the best lubricant to get politicians to do what the people want instead of the big money...

Fat & Single
    The question is when did someone decide that you didn't have the freedom?
    They didnt have William Wallace to sort it out for them
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    We tresspassed all the way to Derby in Englandshire back in 1745, but got in a lot of trouble for it...

No tartan seats or rim tape was allowed on bicycles
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    When you start with heavy fat tires that there isn't any way around if you want a fat bike but want to keep the overall weight as low as you can I think saving where you can becomes even more important. Who wants an unnecessarily heavy bike? Well... besides you.

If it's strong enough to hold up and you can afford the upscale light is better than heavy.

I haven't noticed a obsession with weight in fat bikes any more than any bikes except for rim cutting, but if you like lugging around a boat anchor that's your personal choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My Pugsley is fairly light and has nice parts on it. The reason I started this rant thread is because of the cool stuff people are doing to customize their bikes, and the comment is usually "oh how much does that weigh" or something similar. Just saying that not every modification or build on a bike has weight in mind. Pardon the pun, but "lighten up" Yes, myself included.
    Jason

mtbr member
    ...The reason I started this rant thread is because of the cool stuff people are doing to customize their bikes, and the comment is usually "oh how much does that weigh" or something similar....
    I can see your point and agree with it on the whole. For general riding the extra weight just disappears.

The only problem is a fatbike encourages you to go places where there's no tracks and sometimes you have to carry, drag, push, or even throw it.

That's when you realise you'd like it lighter.

The question is when did someone decide that you didn't have the freedom? It was there from time immemorial, but at some stage that right was taken away. Did the population vote for this restriction? Unlikely, so the right was stolen from your ancestors. Maybe it's time to demand it back.

I'm pretty sure most people in the US would vote in favor of keeping private property private. On most huge tracts of land, the owner isn't going to mind someone passing through, as long as they clean up after themselves and stay out of view of the house. But sometimes they do. There are numerous possible reasons. The land could be used for hunting, or even target practice. There could be transportable property of value on the land that the owner doesn't want growing legs. The owner could fear getting sued by someone who hurt themselves while walking across their land. It has happened before.

I grew up on 1.5 acres in New Jersey, which is a highly populated state. There was a trail running through mine and my neighbors' properties, near the back edge. It wasn't a deeded right of way or anything, just a commonly used trail that happened to pass through the parcels instead of outside of them. It's still there. Nobody cares that people are using it, but I think most like the fact that they have the option to decide that noone can use it anymore if they so choose.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=JAGI410;9182646Pardon the pun, but "lighten up" Yes, myself included.[/QUOTE]

I guess I have heard the comment about not paying attention to weight with fat bikes or DH bikes or AM bikes a few too many times to never say anything.

I know what you are talking about with custom stuff. I built a FS long travel fat bike and am in process of building a DH 29er. So I also know about added weight. Up to about 34 lbs it's not the end of the ride, but when you start to go over that you really, or I really, feel it. As long as it's reasonably flat or down hill it's not such a big deal. If you look at the newest high end DH bikes they are even getting the weight down to the low 30s.

I know your thread was somewhat tongue in cheek but it was still making a statement so sorry yours was the straw the broke the camels back, by adding extra weight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    I'm pretty sure most people in the US would vote in favor of keeping private property private...
    The thing is that the right to roam does work, and generally without problems with major landowners.

If you don't have it, it's a stolen right.

The thing is that the right to roam does work, and generally without problems with major landowners.

If you don't have it, it's a stolen right.

Maybe, but a Scotsman or Scandinavian saying that right to roam works is like an American or Liberian saying customary units work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Liberian? What have books got to do with all this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We gotta get this thread back on topic. I only oil every third link, big weight savings that way......
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For beach and mud rides:
    Grease with water, when the chain starts to make noice reaply!
    Salt water works even better!

No added weight and after a while you will notice that the chain gets a nice brown collor inbetween rides. This brown collor might slightly disapear during the next beachride but it 'll return.

Now the nice thing, after a few rides the chain is longer and actually weights less than new!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing's impossible View Post

Now the nice thing, after a few rides the chain is longer and actually weights less than new!!!!!!
    Your wallet will be lighter as well, because your drivetrain will wear much faster...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Machianera View Post
    Your wallet will be lighter as well, because your drivetrain will wear much faster...
    I am afraid you are missing the point, For people infected with drilliumitis money doesn't matter!

A tip for the real weight weenies: a hollow pin chain will loose weight even faster as the roller will rust on both sides

And there is no lube buildup in the pins so no need to go with the toothpick in each chainhole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing's impossible View Post
    ...after a few rides the chain is longer and actually weights less than new!!!!!!
    Genius idea.

This principle can also be applied to frames. Plug up all the holes and pour in a solution of concentrated brine. The beauty is no-one will realise your cunning ploy to lighten the bike from within. A new super material joins Unobtanium and Drillium - Corrodium!

I expect CK is way ahead of the curve here
    Last edited by Velobike; 04-10-2012 at 04:28 AM.

All fat, all the time.
    I pee on my chain, super light and you lose body weight at the same time lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I don't want to see the post from whoever is going to raise the ante on that idea

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So you would actually consider drinking something heavy like water before a trip, or worse, taking like half a liter of water on a biketrip in order to be able to pee just to overcome a few grams of chainlube???
    It not only the bike that counts you know

To make matters worse, you are aware that this not only means a bottle and the water but also a bottlecage and 2 bolts

All fat, all the time.
    LOL....
    that's it, I'm riding naked! Get ready for the pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    LOL....
    that's it, I'm riding naked! Get ready for the pics.
    If (and only if) you are an attractive 18 year old scandinavian girl you have my blessing!

Members who have read this thread: 0