Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lightest chain lube for fatbikes?

2K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Nothing's impossible 
#1 ·
They are FAT bikes. Stop being so damn concerned about every little gram and go ride your bike. Do whatever you want to it without worrying about weight so much.

It seems like so many threads on here always mention weight and it's like I'm on roadbikereview!

Rant over. I use Gnarlube on my Pugsley. It smells like coconuts and works well.

#3 ·
I know. It's horrible. It ruins individuals, families, and tears apart the very fabric of society. It's the silent killer.

I've spent hundreds of dollars to get my fatbike under 30 lbs., but when I look at it in the mirror, I still see a FAT bike.

Help me, JAG! How do I stop the madness?

#7 ·
They are FAT bikes. Stop being so damn concerned about every little gram...
You don't have many big fences to lift yours over, eh? :)

I find the lightest chainlube is refined Whale Oil, and the best stuff is from baby Mincke whales, but at a push boiled porpoise oil cut with methylated spirit prevents the performance hit from the excessive weight of ordinary eco-oil. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
When you start with heavy fat tires that there isn't any way around if you want a fat bike but want to keep the overall weight as low as you can I think saving where you can becomes even more important. Who wants an unnecessarily heavy bike? Well... besides you. :rolleyes:

If it's strong enough to hold up and you can afford the upscale light is better than heavy.

I haven't noticed a obsession with weight in fat bikes any more than any bikes except for rim cutting, but if you like lugging around a boat anchor that's your personal choice.

#18 ·
My Pugsley is fairly light and has nice parts on it. The reason I started this rant thread is because of the cool stuff people are doing to customize their bikes, and the comment is usually "oh how much does that weigh" or something similar. Just saying that not every modification or build on a bike has weight in mind. Pardon the pun, but "lighten up" ;) Yes, myself included.

#19 ·
...The reason I started this rant thread is because of the cool stuff people are doing to customize their bikes, and the comment is usually "oh how much does that weigh" or something similar....
I can see your point and agree with it on the whole. For general riding the extra weight just disappears.

The only problem is a fatbike encourages you to go places where there's no tracks and sometimes you have to carry, drag, push, or even throw it.

That's when you realise you'd like it lighter.

#21 ·
JAGI410;9182646Pardon the pun said:
I guess I have heard the comment about not paying attention to weight with fat bikes or DH bikes or AM bikes a few too many times to never say anything.

I know what you are talking about with custom stuff. I built a FS long travel fat bike and am in process of building a DH 29er. So I also know about added weight. Up to about 34 lbs it's not the end of the ride, but when you start to go over that you really, or I really, feel it. As long as it's reasonably flat or down hill it's not such a big deal. If you look at the newest high end DH bikes they are even getting the weight down to the low 30s.

I know your thread was somewhat tongue in cheek but it was still making a statement so sorry yours was the straw the broke the camels back, by adding extra weight ;)

#26 ·
For beach and mud rides:
Grease with water, when the chain starts to make noice reaply!
Salt water works even better!

No added weight and after a while you will notice that the chain gets a nice brown collor inbetween rides. This brown collor might slightly disapear during the next beachride but it 'll return.

Now the nice thing, after a few rides the chain is longer and actually weights less than new!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.