Lightening a Clownshoe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lightening a Clownshoe

Maybe this is absurd but I would like to know if any one has lightened a Clownshoe beyond the factory cut outs.

Is it possible?
    Is it safe?
    Can the rim retain stiffness and strength?

Gcappy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As a machinist I can tell you enlarging holes is a crapshoot, there is only one efficient way to do it, and NOT recommended for this rim. Greenlee punches meant for sheet metal electrical boxes are specifically made to make a large hole larger, but only round holes.

I would stick to DT Revolution or Aerolite spokes and the lightest hub you can afford, which for me was the Bonz single speed trials hub at 215g incl bolts for non-offset setups. For offset wheels bikehubstore still carries Rotaz at 252g.

If you want lighter, then Clownshoe not the best option. They do what they do well, allow massive tires, which weigh alot too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    As a machinist I can tell you enlarging holes is a crapshoot, there is only one efficient way to do it, and NOT recommended for this rim. Greenlee punches meant for sheet metal electrical boxes are specifically made to make a large hole larger, but only round holes.

I would stick to DT Revolution or Aerolite spokes and the lightest hub you can afford, which for me was the Bonz single speed trials hub at 215g incl bolts for non-offset setups. For offset wheels bikehubstore still carries Rotaz at 252g.

If you want lighter, then Clownshoe not the best option. They do what they do well, allow massive tires, which weigh alot too.
    Understand, the existing holes in the rim should not be touched. Having said that are there any other areas of the rim that could go under the knife, I mean drill? Smaller holes between or around?

Gcappy

mtbr member
    I haven't seen any bonus drilling that significantly changes the weight, or removes more then 50g from the stock weight(that looked like i would ride it with peace of mind).

Lighter tubes/tubeless and high TPI casings should be your first choice, and maybe Rolling Darryls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Lighter tubes/tubeless and high TPI casings should be your first choice, and maybe Rolling Darryls.
    +1 ...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Geordie biker
    I wouldn't touch a single wall rim that's already been drilled.....stick to the tire, tube, spoke and hubs option as mentioned if your really keen and want to throw cash away.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Members who have read this thread: 0