light bikes 27.5 fat or nextie 27.5 fat rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

light bikes 27.5 fat or nextie 27.5 fat rims

I am building a les fat up and trying to decide on wheels. I am thinking about 3.8 tires on 65mm wheels. Won't be ridding snow. I have the big wide nox 29 wheels and like them alot. Just thought the light bike RSNOW05-75mm wide, 30mm deep 27.5 or the Nextie Black Eagle II 65mm Width Carbon Fat Bike 27.5 might do it. Any of you have experience with these or have other recommendations?

Rocking on a Rocky
    For dirt only think about 50 mm rims. FYI I'm on my 4th year with 65 mm BE Nexties no problem.

https://www.nextie.net/plus-crocodile-50mm-NXT27CD50
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Both Nextie and LB sell good rims....I have several of both.
    As said above...and depending on how big you are and where/how you ride, a 50mm rim may be better.
    Hodags on 50s are great all arounders for me

Elitest thrill junkie
    I like the LB rims better for their spoke profile, as in they aren't all in-line, but spaced out a little over an inch. As a wheelbuilder this just makes more sense to me. LB doesn't recommend x-rays with some of their wheels due to the spoke arrangement, although there's no benefit to using those spokes anyway except vanity. Hard to go wrong with either. I have nextie skinny-bike rims and LB fat-bike rims.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Jayem what are your thoughts on 26 fat & 27.5 fat? I am building up a pivot les fat? Want to build up 2 wheel sets. 1 for really fat and 1 for summer single track. I have a single speed 29er hard eddie with 2.6 size tires. Would like wheel and tire sets to be different than the single speed. Do you like your 4.5 in 26 or 27.5?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
    Jayem what are your thoughts on 26 fat & 27.5 fat? I am building up a pivot les fat? Want to build up 2 wheel sets. 1 for really fat and 1 for summer single track. I have a single speed 29er hard eddie with 2.6 size tires. Would like wheel and tire sets to be different than the single speed. Do you like your 4.5 in 26 or 27.5?
    Both of mine are 26, I have no want for 27.5, I generally only ride the fat bike in the winter on snow.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    2nd set of LB rims for me. Rode 26" LB carbon fats on my Pugs for the last 7 years with no problems. Upgraded to a Farley and had them build up a set of their 27.5" with 350 DT Swiss hubs. Really digging the 27.5" right now. light bikes 27.5 fat or nextie 27.5 fat rims-trek-123.jpg