Light-Bicycle vs Nextie single wall rims- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23

    Light-Bicycle vs Nextie single wall rims

    What do you think about those rims? Im going to build a wheelset for my FAT CAAD 1. I ride on snow and singletracks using Jumbo Jims 4.8.

    https://www.lightbicycle.com/85mm-wi...ompatible.html

    https://www.nextie.net/fatbike-single-wall-NXT26XS85
    Last edited by Emil N; 03-11-2019 at 01:18 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6
    I got a pair. Only a few hundred kilometers under them but so far so good. Ordered them fully built from LB with Onyx hubs. Preferably would have built them myself but it was so much cheaper to buy complete wheels. Sets up tubeless without a tape. Tight and confidence inspiring fit with Jumbo Jims and Bud sealed up nicely also. Unfortunately I can't compare them to other 26" rims cause these are my first fat wheels.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConsul View Post
    I got a pair. Only a few hundred kilometers under them but so far so good. Ordered them fully built from LB with Onyx hubs. Preferably would have built them myself but it was so much cheaper to buy complete wheels. Sets up tubeless without a tape. Tight and confidence inspiring fit with Jumbo Jims and Bud sealed up nicely also. Unfortunately I can't compare them to other 26" rims cause these are my first fat wheels.
    Have you tested to run on really low pressure like 1-4 psi?

  4. #4
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,475
    Got a pair when they got out , rode them in all conditions , very satisfied.

    Laced to Rohloff rear and Hope front hub.

    Using Bud & Lou and JJ in summer , super tubeless friendly.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,563
    Get the full wheels, its so much cheaper than specing hubs and such here.

    Only issue is nextie didnt lace mine properly and i had to get my LBS to redo them, had 16 spokes too long and one asymmetrical rim was backwards.

    Nextie refunded me everything my lbs charged me no problems.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil N View Post
    Have you tested to run on really low pressure like 1-4 psi?
    Yup, 2 psi with Bud and JJ. Bud did leak some sealant after that, but that's more tire related than rim.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConsul View Post
    Yup, 2 psi with Bud and JJ. Bud did leak some sealant after that, but that's more tire related than rim.
    Great. That was my biggest concern about that rim. My Sun Ringle mulet fut has a very good bedlock and its possible to run almost without air and the tire still sits in its place. But the Sun Ringle is so heavy. I want something lighter but don't won't any trouble when running tubeless and low pressure.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Get the full wheels, its so much cheaper than specing hubs and such here.

    Only issue is nextie didnt lace mine properly and i had to get my LBS to redo them, had 16 spokes too long and one asymmetrical rim was backwards.

    Nextie refunded me everything my lbs charged me no problems.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lacing upp the wheels by myself is just an enjoy and a guarantee for knowing that the job is done in the right way. I think it will be cheaper to buy the hubs and spokes here in Sweden.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil N View Post
    Lacing upp the wheels by myself is just an enjoy and a guarantee for knowing that the job is done in the right way. I think it will be cheaper to buy the hubs and spokes here in Sweden.
    For you probably haha. On canada we get hosed!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,245
    Call me dum, but how do tires stay on without a groove for the bead?

    Light-Bicycle vs Nextie single wall rims-carbonrim.jpg
    --------------

    [WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,035
    Consider the Dirt Components Thumper wheels (or rims) as well. A great setup!

  12. #12
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Call me dum, but how do tires stay on without a groove for the bead?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarbonRim.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	1241678
    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/a...he-hook-40749/

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,245
    Thanks for the link. Interesting.

    So does the bead sit in the corner? And then do you have to be careful with any rubber "flash" on the inner diameter of the bead so it sits properly?

    I also wonder about dirt getting in the interface and rubbing / sand-papering the carbon away, but I suppose folks have enough miles on such systems, so it's okay?
    --------------

    [WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Call me dum, but how do tires stay on without a groove for the bead?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarbonRim.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	1241678
    Here is what LB says about the bead.
    "Tubeless Compatible: By using a slope design on the bead, the Drift Pro fat bike rim allows for easier tubeless tire installation and provides a better seal between the rim and tire. The shape of the bead seat reduces the chance of a tire burping at low pressure."

  15. #15
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,347
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Thanks for the link. Interesting.

    So does the bead sit in the corner? And then do you have to be careful with any rubber "flash" on the inner diameter of the bead so it sits properly?

    I also wonder about dirt getting in the interface and rubbing / sand-papering the carbon away, but I suppose folks have enough miles on such systems, so it's okay?
    The bead seat of the hookless rim types seems to be a bit tighter fit than your classic hooked rim. I have older Nextie double wall rims and they hold even old and stretched tires quite solidly. Have run mine down to 0psi in the cold (bumps up to a measurable 2psi or so at room temp) for deep snow riding and no slippage or burping problems. It's a tight enough fit that no dirt is getting in there, either.

    Mine were early ones with spoke hole drilling consistency issues (that have supposedly been resolved), which results in a less than desirable build. I had nipple breakage problems a little while ago, but otherwise they've been strong and reliable rims. I have had a ton of rock impacts that have done nothing more than chipped the paint.

    I'm building an alu wheelset for a 29er with DT XM481 rims, and even a traditional rim mfr like DT Swiss is producing rims with smaller bead "hooks" than they used to. It's not so much a hook anymore. It's more like a ridge.

Similar Threads

  1. Rims Vuelta Zero-Lite Aluminum Double Wall 26' Rims
    By bklynjames in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM
  2. Double or single wall rim?
    By vemeno in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 10:08 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 07:55 PM
  4. Rims, rims rims rims...
    By snaky69 in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 05:10 AM

Members who have read this thread: 148

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.