carfree
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Awesome color combination! That thing looks great
    +1

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...05.deS044ajpLw

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Going to ride it for a bit on the trails around the island and then machine (that's right!) a frame out of 7 series aluminum. Then the bike will just be key lime and aluminum.... And should drop about 3 more lbs. full suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsmitty View Post
    Going to ride it for a bit on the trails around the island and then machine (that's right!) a frame out of 7 series aluminum...
    Looking forward to seeing that.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Going to ride it for a bit on the trails around the island and then machine (that's right!) a frame out of 7 series aluminum. Then the bike will just be key lime and aluminum.... And should drop about 3 more lbs. full suspension.
    Ferris Buehler you're my hero.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    How the rear brake mounted up.

Couldn't have been easier

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    8pm this evening I see this in the window of a bike shop in Kalamazoo, Mich.

If they would have had something like this in Hawaii, I would have bought one instead of going through all this...

Anchorage, AK

Re: Less 'Beast'ly Fat Bike

If they would have had something like this in Hawaii, I would have bought one instead of going through all this...
    Internet.

--Lars
    --Peace

mtbr member

Possibly, but you would then have proceeded to have kept us entertained with your modifications to it.

Nothing to stop you doing that, by the way.

A curious audience awaits....

Tires
    I love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They seem to be everywhere. Going to test ride a few today.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=chopsmitty;10827258]They seem to be everywhere. Going to test ride a few today.

Surly must be quaking in their boots...

mtbr member
    Awe, there you go. You travel and check out bike shops. That's what I do...........Enjoy bro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Loved the build thread! Read through the chopper thread too. Beautiful work! I'm currently doing a build combining a Yamaha CT1 with a KLR 650 and making it a Scrambler. It won't be anywhere near as beautiful as what you did, but I know a bit about how fun it is to watch something like that come to life.
    I think something that so many people forget is that doing something like this isn't about saving money but about making your own creation. The time spent on it is time spent having fun, not "work."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ^^ you got it brah! I'm not trying to build something better - just trying to get my knees in the breeze and have fun doing it. It's always been important to me to have something unique.

Here's the pics of my trip to Northern Michigan:

The wife and I rented a couple Pugs at Latitude 45 in Petosky and headed out for a ride. It was cold. Yes we were unprepared.

Trails were a blast!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    After spending about 10 miles on the Pugs (the black one was on it's first ride!), I can now testify that I have about 80% of a new Pugsley for a total investment of less than $600.
    The 20% I'm lacking is in the shifting (better components) and in the overall stiffness of the frame and fork. The bottom bracket is also noticeably better (right?!).
    The beast has more trail in the steering geometry and thus has a slight tendency to flop when leaning into a turn. It is ever so slightly noticeable in the Pugs.
    For now, I'm going to enjoy fat biking on the big island with the Less Beastly and make a decision about possibly machining a frame after some other projects get caught up...

Thanks for following!

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What is the final weight of your Beast?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Weight as shown in latest pics posted is 36.2lbs.

mtbr member
    This thread blew me away, I now feel more useless than ever before. So cool!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    This thread blew me away, I now feel more useless than ever before. So cool!!!
    Haha. X3, I have to work with this guy. Don't worry, he's a freak of nature. Super nice guy too.

mtbr member
    So crazy. But inspiring

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm a machinist, it's what I do. So that part is no big deal to me. This project wouldn't have been possible without gmats patience in answering my questions and his generous 'donations' in the form of old parts. I needed expertise in part selection and knowledge in what was available and what might work the best/easiest. Gmats is a monster on the trails and in his knowledge!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

I have been beating this bike to death!!
    Only problem I'm having is the rear axle is moving around in the horizontal dropouts... New frame design will fix that.

mtbr member
    I have been beating this bike to death!!
    Good!

I apologize if I missed it, but what is your total amount of time and money in your bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Got an hour in both wheels cutting the triangular holes, an hour turning both axles, a coupe hours widening both hubs, the parts an labor to lace and true both rims was bartered for a baby crib, the brakes, cassette and race face crank was graciously donated by gmats. The steering stem, carbon bars and new rotors were a $75 Craigslist purchase. The tubes, rim strips, seat post and brake pads and pedals were a $175 deal at the LBS (Mountain Road Cycles). The hubs were donated by MRC. The tires were purchased from On One for $180. The derailleur and shifter cost $30 off ebay. The bike was $200 shipped. In my opinion, it was a huge success.

mtbr member
    In my opinion, it was a huge success.
    I agree Great work!

mtbr member
    Not a bad way to get into the fat bike world at all. And if you break the frame, wally world will send you a new one.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great job with the bike Chopsmity, and that's great you got it so light for being a Beast. I would agree that your Beast transformation was a success, especially cnc'ing the rims. I'm in the process of modding mine. The Beast has a couple HUGE frame geometry design flaws that I plan on fixing on mine. First, the BB is way too low and too far forward. The second is the fork, it's too short, head tube angle is too steep, and the fork needs more rake and trail to improve handling and minimize wheel flop.

Compared to other fatbikes the Beast rides and steers like crap IMO, not to mention the toe overlap/toe strike from the front tire. To fix the BB, I'm just going to use a donor BB, widen it and weld and gusset it on top of the chainstays about 2" behind the seatpost. I'll leave the stock Beast BB in place cause i don't want to cut the frame and it's easier to just add another one. The front fork I will be cutting and lengthening around 3" to get the HT angle to around 70 deg. All in all, pretty easy stuff to do for someone who can weld.

mtbr member
    Is there a longer production fork that could work for this?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is there a longer production fork that could work for this?
    Yep you can just throw a moonlander fork on there for a little over $100. I'm not sure if the Moonlander fork is long enough to get the HT to 70 but it is longer than the stock Beast fork and will help. I'm only into my Beast $320 total with a similar functioning setup as Chopsmitty, but with not as nice parts and I haven't drilled out the rims yet.
    As far as cool factor and looks, Chopsmitty's takes the cake! I don't want to put anymore money into my bike and i'll I get better geometry results modding the Beast fork IMO.

For your average, non-fabricator/machinist rider I don't think it's worth getting and modding the Beast to make it into a usable fatbike because next spring Gravity brand fatbikes will be available from bikesdirect.com for less than $500 that will be better bikes than a modded Beast for less money and no time fabbing. I chose to go the Beast route because I want to ride this winter for cheap and it was also a fun project.

mtbr member
    Makes sense, just curious. I work at a shop, so I hoping to get similar investment. Obviously I can pick up parts I don't have at wholesale.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you work at a shop, have time on your hands to fab/weld, and like tinkering, I'd say go for it. It'll be a fun project and you can ride this winter for cheap. Otherwise, I'd say just wait til next spring and get one of the sub $500 Gravity brand fatbikes coming out from bikes direct. I'm not trying to promote bikes for them, rather just steer people to the cheapest and easiest way to get into a usable fatbike.
    Last edited by N8R; 01-06-2014 at 01:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Gravity fatbike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    ....First, the BB is way too low and too far forward. The second is the fork, it's too short, head tube angle is too steep, and the fork needs more rake and trail to improve handling and minimize wheel flop.
    I agree with the position of the BB, however, we are on opposite ends of the field on the rake/trail issue. Flop is caused by too much rake/trail. Yank the fork out and stick it in a press and take out some of that bend, if not all, and check the results. Of course the toe strike problem on the front tire will get worse...

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I agree with the position of the BB, however, we are on opposite ends of the field on the rake/trail issue. Flop is caused by too much rake/trail. Yank the fork out and stick it in a press and take out some of that bend, if not all, and check the results. Of course the toe strike problem on the front tire will get worse...
    From my understanding of fork rake and trail, they are the inverse of each other and wheel flop is caused by too much trail and too little rake. If you increase fork rake you decrease trail and vice versa. So theoretically, to lessen wheel flop you increase the rake which will decrease trail. I'll report back after I modify the fork by lengthening as well as increase rake/decrease trail and see if that's actually the case or not. For anyone interested in the theory of fork rake and trail here's a link:

Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - Trail, fork rake, and a little bit of*history

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Gravity fatbike?
    Gravity is a brand of bikes carried by bikesdirect.com. Their fatbikes are not on the website for sale yet, but they announced on their facebook page that they will be available in the spring. If you scroll down on their FB page to the Nov 19-20 posts you'll see the bikes and projected prices.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikesdirect/122199864367

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    From my understanding of fork rake and trail..
    Totally agree... I've given this bike VERY little thought. I'm used to dealing with 'head tube' angles in the 45 to 50 degree range and raked triple trees to account... blah, blah. Anyway, you got the idea - less trail is what we are all after!

I just purchased the front end for my beast. Going to pick it up tonight. Should be crazy when it's all done. I will keep everyone updated...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Teaser pic

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Teaser pic
    Ya got me!

mtbr member
    if you want to use this fork with the 100s Rims and some 4.0" Tires... without HEAVIEST Mods its impossible... last week i made a test with some 47mm rims and a 3.0" Point Leopard (Arrow, Duro Wildlife etc.) and its pretty filled up... even if you spacer the fork blades outward it won't fit in the tire hight

Less 'Beast'ly Fat Bike-66029500758911e3bf5812315a8677d6_8.jpg

Less 'Beast'ly Fat Bike-62c5f440758911e3b003124d21716300_8.jpg

mtbr member
    That looks cool! Looks vintage

mtbr member
    but i still wait for a bigger frame iam 192cm tall so a 53cm Frame is way to smal for me... ... someday a 1x1 will come around the corner ... with the 3.0"s on the 47mm Rims i have only maybe 10mm room under the lowest lever point of the fork... and V-Brakes wont fit... its a Cantilever brakes only fork (maybe a HS33 may fit...i'll try soon)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Who says I'm going to use the stock fork blades/legs?

mtbr member
    ...so i didn't say a word ... make it happen... 3

WIGGLER
    ST Louie Trail?
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

MR. 36er TROLL

I'm sorry what part of "BIGLY" didn't you understand?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What?

WIGGLER

Oops

What?
    I was asking if that pic was ST Louis trail on Oahu? Nice beast!

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nope, Big Island. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok, should be able to find some time in the next week or so to machine out some fork legs...

Here is 700 lbs force applied to the stock Girvin fork legs... Very near failure.

Here is my design with 1200 lbs. Room to spare and only 70 grams heavier despite being just over 3 inches longer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ....(the stock Girvin fork legs are right at 300g)

mtbr member
    Sweet!!! Look forward to seeing it in real life soon.

mtbr member
    Ok, should be able to find some time in the next week or so to machine out some fork legs...

...Here is my design with 1200 lbs. Room to spare and only 70 grams heavier despite being just over 3 inches longer.
    Looking forward to seeing this

mtbr member
    Are you using 6061? 1x2 and then milled out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    6061 .5x3 milled out

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    OK, because of the poor quality of the bottom bracket I've been forced to design a new setup. It will feature double sealed ball bearings held in by 304 Stainless cups and a 4140 steel spindle heat treated to R60 and black oxide coated. It will also have an aluminum insert to prevent over tightening of the bearings. I will offer both Beast (175mm) and Dolomite (189mm) sizes as exact replacements for the stock parts.

I'll offer these complete assemblies to all those who want one for $125 shipped. I need to take 'pre-orders' or just commitments to help with the manufacturing on my machines thus making the parts less expensive... I've got this priced based on me making 20 complete assemblies. I have outsourced heat treating and black oxide coating... Email me at chopsmitty@yahoo.com if you want a BB!
    Less 'Beast'ly Fat Bike-10547828_10202747582993769_7322684758197588314_o_zps9edc3e22.jpg

Less 'Beast'ly Fat Bike-10658696_10202747583873791_3020100887805497316_o_zps8de00dc5.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Impressive work!

With your skills it would be pretty easy to build your own frame, some high end steel or aluminum would drop a ton of weight.

djrez4
    How'd the fork turn out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    How'd the fork turn out?
    What he said! ^^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've gotten 'pre-occupied' with the build of my 1932 Ford roadster... So, no progress on that. I'm strongly considering a bucksaw or something similar next year...

mtbr member
    I know the feeling. Ive barely worked on bikes lately. Spending most of my time working on my 61 Chevy Panel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    New direction with the budget fork project.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Here's my killer Bottom Bracket. Sold several with more shipping each week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    One of my favourite threads.

mtbr member
    Nice work on the fork. Are you widening a 29er fork? Is it relatively light weight? There are fat forks for about $120 on aliexpress.com.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yes it's quite light. I would have preferred larger tubes than the 32mm, but we'll see. Air adjustable, oil dampened with rebound adjustment and lockout with 80mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'll have about $150 in this when done.

mtbr member
    Very cool. I got one of the aliexpress forks. It's a hefty 6.8 lbs. 120mm travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Solidworks model

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bandsaw....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Less 'Beast'ly Fat Bike-20150322_215600_zpsrnkajkgb.jpg  

Less 'Beast'ly Fat Bike-20150322_215354_zpsy3mpnfds.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Live Free & Ride
    The Franken Beast has awaken! Beautiful cnc work on all of it...keep it coming!
    NEMBA
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just ordered a 5.125"x3.75"x10.375" chunk of Fortal HP. Similar to 7075, just a little harder. Next I'll work on freeing the stanchions and the steer tube and designing the crown. Fun!

mtbr member
    Cool! I have a Bluto and a Chinese fat shock here if you need any measurements off of either.

WIGGLER
    B1tchen and when you get started you dont mess arround......watchen once again.

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    That's a fancy lookin' horseshoe. Seems like the crown will be much harder. I'm looking forward to seeing it. There's two other threads buried in here with the same type of modification executed quite differently. One had a titanium crown...gorgeous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My crown will be quite special. Probably a full day of cnc time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Working on the design of the crown...

Material came in...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Less 'Beast'ly Fat Bike-fb_img_1427338222743_zpsrdahtgkr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Will there be similar cutouts on the bottom?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No. Bottom is smooth

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Man thats cool! I wish I had your tools, I would never leave the garage!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Lookin' good. Can't wait to see it up and running.

mtbr member
    Looks so good!

How many hours do you have in the crown and brace? Including milling time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    A bunch. Don't even want to think about it...

mtbr member
    It's good fun to watch what you're doing. Thanks for posting this as you progress.

Tim

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

WIGGLER
    Fricken awesome!!!

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Another masterpiece from chopsmitty.

mtbr member
    Nice job! Weight isnt bad either. About 2 lbs heavier than a bluto, and $500 cheaper! And it will fit the bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

This bike is now - awesome. Thanks to my good friend Grant for all his technical assistance and the gracious donation of parts to keep the project rolling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast