Lefty for Fat Bikes- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lefty for Fat Bikes

Instead of piggybacking on MendonCycleSmith's two year old thread, or some of the other ones that touched on the idea, I figured I'd start a new one dedicated to the possibility of this combo. So MCS (and anyone else that might have insight on the matter), what's the latest? In a more recent post you seemed less than sold on the idea. The advantages are pretty clear, what are the drawbacks/challenges of running a Lefty on a fat bike?
    Last edited by miles e; 01-15-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: corrected second link
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

How much does it weigh?
    If a Lefty was not so expensive... I would want one for my bike.

shut up and RIDE!
    I have been riding a Prophet with a Lefty Max for the last four years, and I am in the process of building my Pugs over the next couple days.... Never thought about putting the lefty on my Pugs... hmmmmm.....
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Funny you bring it up....

I'm finishing up a frame right now, and was thinking about revisiting this idea.

Have the hub, just need a rim. The 100 was functional, but barely. I'll use a Marge this time. Not quite as much footprint, but it should sit in a lot better than the hundie did.

Beyond that, I have no new input, but I do love to tinker.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    just put a carbon lefty on my giant and trying 2 up load a pic but cant seem 2 ! ? please help !

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

giant xtc lefty

Quote Originally Posted by giantleftycarbon
    just put a carbon lefty on my giant and trying 2 up load a pic but cant seem 2 ! ? please help !
    look
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-leftyp050111_12.04.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Funny you bring it up....

I'm finishing up a frame right now, and was thinking about revisiting this idea.
    Thanks for chiming in MCS (GLC, not so much ). Glad to hear the concept is still in play for you- that recent post of yours I referenced (link now corrected) seemed to raise some red flags:

As for a Lefty, the 100 worked in the soft, but wasn't so hot on road, or hard pack. With a Marge, I think I could have gotten it dished well enough so as to be a totally functional set up.
    So a few more specific questions if I may:

-What is the deal with the dish, and the 321 adapter for that matter? In your initial post you said it "allows the clamp set to be swung outward, allowing proper wheel/frame alignment". Can you elaborate for those of us not familiar with the Lefty/321 adapter.

-What was the issue on road or hard pack?

-I'm guessing this relates to the dish, but why was the 100mm rim barely functional? Think an 80mm would be better?

Thanks!
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    I lookEd into it also, but it is so expensive for the really light ones. I might as well upgrade to the Duc and have cash left over.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

This place needs an enema
    Seems to me that MCS (and others whom have their ear) oughta convince P321 to do a small batch of increased offset Lefty clamps. The problem right now is that you gotta (to run a 100mm rim) dish the wheel off center to the DS of the bike. Plenty of tire/fork clearance then, but your wheel is then offset relative to the centerline of the bike.

I have and love my current DUC on my Snoots, but no way no how could I run that fat of a rim. The Lefty is the most promising sus fork in this respect, but it needs some not-yet-produced clamps to bring it all together.

MC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Seems to me that MCS (and others whom have their ear) oughta convince P321 to do a small batch of increased offset Lefty clamps. The problem right now is that you gotta (to run a 100mm rim) dish the wheel off center to the DS of the bike. Plenty of tire/fork clearance then, but your wheel is then offset relative to the centerline of the bike.
    I see. The same idea of custom clamps had occurred to me, but I couldn't tell if MCS had done something along these lines alread or not; I guess not. I can definitely see where a front wheel that doesn't line up with the centerline of the frame could have caused some weirdness off the snow.

So the question remains, just how wide of a tire (and in turn rim) can a stock Lefty accomodate without needing the wheel dished off center?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee

I have and love my current DUC on my Snoots, but no way no how could I run that fat of a rim. The Lefty is the most promising sus fork in this respect, but it needs some not-yet-produced clamps to bring it all together.

MC
    MCS and I discussed this over PMs and fine 18yo single malt speyside (at least I did). Tis all about the clampage. You *can* rotate them further outboard at the expense of geometry in various planes but as you pointed out that is sub-optimal. I'm *hoping* that P321 does stuff in small enough lots so as to thinker this one out.
    Professional Amateur

Yeah, Jake needs to get on this.

The really cool thing is that I'm going to spend a few days with him this week at Cannondale. I'll be sure to work on him, but we had discussed it before and he didn't seem to interested at that time, lots of time and energy for not a lot of sales. Perhaps with the fatties taking off, he might be more amenable than a year or two ago....

Any time you start playing around outside the box, there is no immediate correct, at least in my experience, at least not without getting dirty and seeing if it works. I have an offset Marge XC built up around a hub that just died, I'll have to get busy this week and see if that produces a ridable result without the *swing-out* I had to do with the 100.

The reason this is a concern, and kinda separate from the P321 units, is that Cannondale no longer makes moveable camp forks, they are all bonded. The Max and ti DLRs are nice forks, (bighit, this addresses your concern) since they're old, used forks can be had cheap, and hey, you need a proprietary hub for the Mavericks as well. But if you happen to want a new fork for your new toy, not gonna happen, at least with a super fat rim, without an old fork, and Jakes help...

soupboy, no scotch on this end, but a few big ales after a night of snowshoeing and I'm good

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    I can definitely see where a front wheel that doesn't line up with the centerline of the frame could have caused some weirdness off the snow.
    Not a reason to do it again, but as I think about the effect I had, a chunk can be attributed to the Larry not being around. With the wider rims and an Endo up front, I would get the front end dragged all over the place if I was in any sort of a U shaped trail surface, not so with rounder profiled Larry. So the effect was exacerbated by the tire available at the time....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Not a reason to do it again, but as I think about the effect I had, a chunk can be attributed to the Larry not being around. With the wider rims and an Endo up front, I would get the front end dragged all over the place if I was in any sort of a U shaped trail surface, not so with rounder profiled Larry. So the effect was exacerbated by the tire available at the time....
    Interesting. I think I finally "got" what you did in the first go round by swinging the clamps outward. At first I wasn't sure what you were trying to accomplish by doing so, since on its own it did nothing to change the relation of the tire to the fork (wasn't thinking about dishing the wheel away from the fork). Then it wasn't registering that it would be a simple matter of rotating the fork leg in the clamps so that the axle remained perpindicular to the centerline of the frame (sorry, I can be a bit dense at times ). This would also have also reduced rake down to practically nothing; maybe that was effecting the steering as well?

On the new forks the clamps are clearly integrated on the aluminum models; are the carbon ones bonded too, or are they still bolt on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    ...On the new forks the clamps are clearly integrated on the aluminum models; are the carbon ones bonded too, or are they still bolt on?
    Bearing in mind not much daunts the fatbike crowd - what sort of bond? Can we use heat to unbond it, or a solvent?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 57║36' Highlands, Scotland

miles e, yep. It's simply having the effect of pulling the overly driveside biased offset wheel, back toward center a bit. The trail loss had little effect on handling. With a 100mm mounted Endo, it was sticky feeling handling anyway.

My hope is the Marge will either allow *normal* operation or proper alignment with that out-swing done.

Worthnoting, I rode the bike for about a year the way it was, it wasn't THAT bad. I'd just hate to not mention things and have folks b*tching at me because of it

Velobike, I wouldn't want to unbond them. They are pinned too, not that this is insurmountable. Getting a complete bond again would be my concern, perhaps someone with knowledge and equipment could do a solid job of it, who knows. Yeah, both current carbon and alloy fork clamps are bonded.

That being said, the older Maxes have always been a great, nicely tunable fork in my experience, so it's not like you need to get a modern fork to make it work (if it even will, or if we can get clampsets made) The newer Max 140's do have a rather nice platformy blow off feature to their lockout though.

I'll try to bang out the wheel today, and report back

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    MCS- This is exactly what I was going to discuss with you while in Rochester. Family commitments and your being closed on Weds conflicted scheduling.

I'll be closely following here.

Nope. Too bad actually, cause it feels great otherwise.

Still off. Rideable, but off. You can feel it weights a bit differently, turning side to side.

Dished as close as can be had. Sadly, I don't have any readily available moveable clamp Leftys right now, I'm guessing swinging it out would bridge the gap pretty well. It's much less pronounced than with the 100.

So, yeah, gotta talk to Jake about this one some more........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-fat-2.jpg  

Lefty for Fat Bikes-fat-1.jpg  

Lefty for Fat Bikes-fat-3.jpg  

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Dr Gadget is IN
    Nope. Too bad actually, cause it feels great otherwise.

Still off. Rideable, but off. You can feel it weights a bit differently, turning side to side.

Dished as close as can be had. Sadly, I don't have any readily available moveable clamp Leftys right now, I'm guessing swinging it out would bridge the gap pretty well. It's much less pronounced than with the 100.

So, yeah, gotta talk to Jake about this one some more........
    If you get P321 Jake to make FatClamps for a Lefty - I'd take a pair too! Considering 1) how many people like to Lefty's on other bikes and 2) how many people are doing FatBikes and might be interested in suspension - Jake might could sell a batch.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    I might even consider this...what does a stock Lefty cost?
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    I might even consider this...what does a stock Lefty cost?
    Think somewhere between 800 to over a grand depending on model.

The older Maxs and DLR ti's can be found for 250 to 450.....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    what are the chances of a custom clamp to fit 80's / 90's / 100's ? Would it pull everything back in line?
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    what are the chances of a custom clamp to fit 80's / 90's / 100's ? Would it pull everything back in line?
    Because it's custom for the job, no problem. Now getting them made? THAT'S the $100K question.....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Dr Gadget is IN
    Because it's custom for the job, no problem. Now getting them made? THAT'S the $100K question.....
    Yeah. I recall that we had him talked into making downward offset clamps that would allow running a Lefty at full travel on a 29er, but he backed out saying it wouldn't be strong enough after he worked on the design a bit. Here we just need them a bit longer - on the order of 6-12mm. Still means less strong, but only a bit. The 'downset' ones needed to angle downwards 30mm.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Bringing it back

Has anyone moved forward with this?
    After Craig rebuilt my second Lefty, I realized i had the bolted on clamps on the Ti DLR.
    Can't seem to get the FatLefty from crowding my pea-brain. I have a nephew who works for a design/invent company.......guess he needs a call from his favorite Uncle!

Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Has anyone moved forward with this?
    Sooooo close I can taste them. I have two batches being done. One domestically, one overseas. Sounds all big and corporate of me, but it really just happened that way due to some good folks who inhabit these pages.

Small batches, I'll end up with 4 or 5 to get out to willing test pilots. If there's sufficient desire, I have one or two domestic sources that are willing to run a bigger batch.

Should be in in the next couple of weeks......

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Sooooo close I can taste them. I have two batches being done. One domestically, one overseas. Sounds all big and corporate of me, but it really just happened that way due to some good folks who inhabit these pages.

Small batches, I'll end up with 4 or 5 to get out to willing test pilots. If there's sufficient desire, I have one or two domestic sources that are willing to run a bigger batch.

Should be in in the next couple of weeks......
    Oh! Oh!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Me too! Me Too!
    I am sooooooo excited for this.
    I trashed a jeckyl frame for the fork and swing arm. (Some other project,uberV) that I am now shelving. This leaves me with the fork and hub. I have a large marge hanging in the rafters...hmmm,non offset. May be a problem. Not really a problem, just a solution waiting to happen.
    Need to get rid of some bike stuff. Time to inventory the garage.Gotta go.
    Last edited by 1spd1way; 06-25-2011 at 03:52 AM.

A Surly Maverick
    Very impressive MCS

Looking forward to seeing the results
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

mnt bike laws of physics
    Unfortunately, all my leftys are bonded so no fat tire lefty for me...damn!

I bet I could still go pretty wide though. What would be a good max width setup for a Lefty? Looks like the max tire width it can take is 3.0"
    Last edited by yogiprophet; 07-08-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Unfortunately, all my leftys are bonded so no fat tire lefty for me...damn!

I bet I could still go pretty wide though. What would be a good max width setup for a Lefty? Looks like the max tire width it can take is 3.0"
    Just cause you don't own it now, doesn't mean you can't buy one in the near future.

2.5's fit with ease, I'd guess close to a 3.0, yep.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

just ride

Lefty Fatty

Lefty for fatbikes.

Lefty hub, offset 17.5mm to the left
    Surly Rolling Darryl, laced to the left side holes
    Custom machined Lefty clamps, offset 17.5mm further to the left (designed my MCS, executed via my CNC hookup)
    Lefty Max (coil sprung)
    Clearance for Larry 3.8 with 100mm of travel

Testing to commence first on a fat-front El Mariachi, then to winter duty aboard Mukluk Ti. Only three sets exist, one set for me, two sets for MCS

Now Im getting verklempt, talk amongst yourselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-img_3295.jpg  

Lefty for Fat Bikes-img_3296.jpg  

Lefty for Fat Bikes-img_3297.jpg  

Lefty for Fat Bikes-img_3298.jpg  

Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

How much does it weigh?
    So awesome!

Looks great!

Very basic, to the point clamp, I like it.

bikeboatbrewski
    Looks well executed.

Cheesiest
    Planning on doing any more?

All fat, all the time.
    Enough clearance for the tire I hope? Very cool!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I was talking fat suspension ideas during some trail work today, and the list we came up with was:

A) a modified Headshok
    B) a modified Lefty
    C) a from-scratch linkage fork with easily replaced bearings

...and I came home to see this update!

bikeboatbrewski
    I like the frame mod head shock the best.

With the weight of the fats getting fatter nothing short of a total squish fork redesign would really be right.

Maybe Sandman will come to the rescue but the cost may be pretty high.

I like(for the most part) my SC32 but I see putting the rigid fork back on for snow.

Wishing you luck on the lefty project. Options are good.

Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Planning on doing any more?
    I have these, (well, not in my hands yet...) and another set of three from a generous fellow member down in WV coming. If the numbers bear out and clearance is all good, I plan on doing a small production run, yes.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This may be old news but I just happened across this in the 29er forum. Rigid "Lefty":

https://www.blackcatbonebikes.com/
    https://blackcatbonebikes.blogspot.com/ at top and bottom of page.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Gettin' ready!

And a 1:

And a 2 1/2:

That's an inflatable beadlock that ain't wide enough. Sigh.

But add spokes, and I've got a wheel!

mtbr member
    Who's got that USE fork?
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

How much does it weigh?
    I'm so jealous.

Looks like a lot of fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    This may be old news but I just happened across this in the 29er forum. Rigid "Lefty":

Black Cat Bone Bikes
    Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance at top and bottom of page.
    Why not contact these guys?...They seem down to do some R&D

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Anyone with a spoke length for the p321 and a large marge xc? I'm bringing my hub down to the lbs. The mech is scratching his head on this wheel build.

Dr Gadget is IN

Math/number warning.

Anyone with a spoke length for the p321 and a large marge xc? I'm bringing my hub down to the lbs. The mech is scratching his head on this wheel build.
    Well, kinda. The P321 hub has identical dimensions to the CDale hub - so:

S, mm dL, mm WL, mm dR, mm WR, mm
    2.5 58.0 18.35 45.0 31.56

ERD Offset
    536.0 0.0 Surly Large Marge (centered)
    532.0 6.5 Surly Large Marge (offset)

This information is available in Damon Rinard's Spocalc spreadsheet:
    Spocalc, by Damon Rinard. A free Excel spoke length calculator. (note that it's Sheldon Brown certified)

The problem comes in if you're going centered/fat - say with some of MCS's fatclamps.

Then you want to offset the hub dimension 17.5mm left:
    S, mm dL, mm WL, mm dR, mm WR, mm
    2.5 58.0 35.85 45.0 14.06

And don't forget to put in the OSB for the rim. Using USC 100's I'm working with a 25mm offset to BOTH SIDES! I use the Spocalc calculator, but I have to put in the offset as a positive to get the length of one side, then as a negative for the other side. Also, the offset is expected left/front, right/rear.

One interesting point: With all the offsets, if I run a P321 hub and the USC rim laced to one line of spoke holes (drill another 18 on one side) - I get identical spoke length and angle! I intend to cross lace, however - but this gives me 265.3/263.9mm and 13.3/8.5 degre angle. A fairly symmetrical wheel either way. I'm using 265's for all - it turns out that's what also what I use for Fatback hubs on USC rims, both front and rear (crosslaced).

PS: 32h 3x. offset LM, 17.5 hub offset CDale hub - says 258.5/257.8. But PLEASE DON"T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. VERIFY!

just ride
    I paid Handspun to do mine. They figured it out first time, no problems, easy.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    cheq, any ride report yet? those of us that are soooo close are itchin' to know.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    delivered the rim ,hub, and lefty to the lbs today. Just need those clamps......

Just need those clamps......
    I know, I know, I know.....

Blame Cheq at this point.....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    After looking at the On-One frame...I think I need that too!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Picked up my wheel today! P321 and a xc LargeMarge. Come oooon, clamps!

mtbr member
    I'm trying to read this thread on my laptop and I have to scroll sideways with each line so sorry if I missed something but if you are making custom clamps why not make longer ones that don't require an offset wheel? I guess you would need a custom axle too. Maybe even a hub if you wanted to really make it strong. ??

Btw what is the longest Lefty travel? Seems to be hard to find info on the buggers.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    I'm trying to read this thread on my laptop and I have to scroll sideways with each line so sorry if I missed something but if you are making custom clamps why not make longer ones that don't require an offset wheel? I guess you would need a custom axle too. Maybe even a hub if you wanted to really make it strong. ??

Btw what is the longest Lefty travel? Seems to be hard to find info on the buggers.
    You hit on it. The clamp length is enough to get the Lefty around a BFL. After that, you're stuck with the axle and hub of the Lefty. You could get a custom hub made that would put the outer (RH) flange in symmetry with the inner one, if you wanted perfection - but MCS had to do some work to get the clamps made, and the stock hub works fine.

Longest travel Lefty is 140 (for traditional 26" tires). That one becomes 110 for any 29er, or a fatty. Feels like way more with the BFL out front though!

As for strength, stiffness etc, I've been beating the snot out of this thing, and much like anyone with a Pug, the offset aspect really hasn't proven to be any detriment to date.

This is simply a first crack at what is now a developing market, many folks are realizing the benefits of going fat, then discovering that yes, it does make suspension forks less important, but, add one to it, and you end up with a whole different level of awesome! Sure, someone will come along with a production fork soon, but it will be expensive due to low production numbers, and likely have no more travel than these guys. So hey, this allows you to score a beat up old fork that no one considers relevant anymore, (they'd be wrong, but let them think that) buy a clamp set, build a wheel, and have a really fun addition to your fatty, for a good bit less than a new fork would likely cost.

I should have the first production run in by Christmas time, can't wait!!!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oh, so you are the one making the clamps. Couldn't quite figure out what MCS was. Cheers

Oh, so you are the one making the clamps. Couldn't quite figure out what MCS was. Cheers
    Yep, that's me. Some call me Mendon, others, MCS, others, Craig, just don't call me late for good beer.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Did I catch a niner+?
    In a horrible shill I have a 2009 Lefty 29er w/ DLR 2 includes cdale hub and project321 adapter.

PM me if you are interested.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    In a horrible shill I have a 2009 Lefty 29er w/ DLR 2 includes cdale hub and project321 adapter.

PM me if you are interested.
    Bonded clamps, no go for a fatty, sorry......

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    so what is the widest wheel and tire that can be used with a stock lefty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just put my Lefty on my Pugs using the Mendonator Clamps and masterfully built Large Marge rim with a stock Lefty hub and a Nate tire. There is 3/8" clearance between the sidewall and the fork leg and 3/4" clearance between the rim and the boot/air filter. Craig built the wheel perfectly centered (I've had stock Cannondale wheels dished as much as 1/4" off center from the factory), so the center rib of the tire is directly under the steerer. You could fudge a little here and there by rotating the fork in the clamps or dishing wheel slightly. Pictures coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    so what is the widest wheel and tire that can be used with a stock lefty?
    If by stock you mean with the Cannondale supplied clamps, nothing approaching fat on a scale we here enjoy.

With the offset clamps? As fat as you can find.

Polished versions should be here early this coming week!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    does the dlr2 allow the installation of the new clamps?

mtbr member
    I'm an idiot with regards to any kind of suspension. So bare with me.

Could you do this with any Lefty fork (non-bonded at least)? As in, can you buy a long travel 26" lefty and somehow limit the travel, or do you need to start with a 29er lefty.

This is such an awsome idea.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    does the dlr2 allow the installation of the new clamps?
    Sadly, no.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Craig, couple of questions...Can you use a 110 or does it have to be a max ? Also are the clamps available now and how much $? Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post
    Craig, couple of questions...Can you use a 110 or does it have to be a max ? Also are the clamps available now and how much $? Thanks....
    Max, or any of the older DLR 100's (Ti, ELO).

Basically anything where the clamps can be removed by unbolting them.

The 110's are all the Speed series (as well as any carbon forks), and have bonded clamps, so they won't work.

All in stock now, drop me an email for further info, I don't want to overstep the good graces of the site.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i have a fat sand bike on the way and just procured a lefty with non bonded clamps ;-)
    once i have both in hand let the games begin

Sup
    Mendon do you know what alloy the new one piece 3d forged uppers are made of ?

Thanks
    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by slowerjoe View Post
    mendon do you know what alloy the new one piece 3d forged uppers are made of ?

Thanks
    sj

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would the lefty M off a 2000 f700sx work?

Quote Originally Posted by Xandor View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would the lefty M off a 2000 f700sx work?
    Not the greatest Lefty ever made, but yep, as long as the clamps can be slid off the fork in question and swapped out for the offset clamps, it will work.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Where's the best place to find a used Lefty Max with non-bonded clamps? This isn't for a fat bike so I have to go with the 140 and not one of the old 100's.

The big auction site turned up nothing, even overseas. Anyone have an extra just laying around?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just picked one up off of flea bay on sunday for $180, i have been looking for quite a while... I see them pop up about every 2 weeks

mtbr member
    Thanks. You got quite the deal there!
    I got a PM with a lead also so looks like I'm good to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

If anyone's listening, I want a fat suspension fork too

I am looking at options for a fork to run a 4" wide tire. I do like the lefty concept, and if some longer clamps were made a little beefier, or even the same cross section, I do not think the strength of the upper crown would be an issue at all. With a double clamp connecting two tubes the lefty upper crown area is way stronger than a unicrown fork. The only thing that might be a concern is the extra leverage placed on the leg and axle from the contact patch being further from the centerline due to the offset wheel. I would think that for the kind of abuse most mountain bikes see, that Cannondale left a fairly large margin of extra strength to where you shouldn't see structural failure, but I would expect more wear on seals and bearings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

fat forks

I think that between the popularity of fat bikes, and the need for stronger 29er wheels, there is a compelling argument for switching to a 135mm front axle as the new standard. with disc brakes and a symetrical front hub the spoke flanges are way to close together to build a strong 29er wheel. In fact I don't see why the downhill crowd has not switched to a wider axle for this reason even with 26" rims. A new fork with upside down twin dampers/springs, with a wider(preferably 135mm) propietary through axle with large bearings and axle for stiffness(like the maverick). and why not go to 170 mm rear for 29ers and DH. to keep the chain lined up witha narrow BB on a XC 29er, you could offset the rear dropouts the opposite way from a Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have 3 lefty equipped bikes, a 29'er running a dlr2 equppied with a nuvinci, a cannondale hooligan which runs a rigid lefty with an alfine 8 , and of course a fsb with a lefty max running a clownshoe and alfine 11 speed. I absolutely love the lefties I keep a spare dlr lefty back incase I want it on another bike....

For some reason a lefty looks more at home on my fat tire then anyplace else lol

@ autodoctor911, any reason you're posting thoughts here? They are kinda buried deep in a thread about a fork that is out there, and working quite well for those using them. Stiffness, wheel stability, rigidity, it's all there, now.

If you have thoughts about some new, as yet un-made product, you'd get more traction with anew thread, if you ask me....

Now, if you want to talk Leftys for fatties, you've come to the right place!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Why do the posts have titles? Are they new threads that have been merged?

The axle strength point is a good one. In a discussion as to which front MTB hub would be the absolute best weight wheenie rear fixed gear hub (with sprocket bolted onto disc mount).The lefty hub (with a custom machined axle) won hands down. Its is pretty light, but mostly it is extra strong due its oversized bearings.S So it was considered more likely to cope with the strains.

The axle on the fork also has an inherently strong design.

They may not be to everyones taste. But theres no escaping how clever those mono-struts are.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I know I'm late to the party but I figured it was time to post up a couple pics. I ordered the bike in October and before I received it I had to have emergency back surgery. I've ridden it in the neighborhood some but it probably won't see the trails for another month. Hopefully after another month of road riding my back will be up for some trails. The bike has a Mendon lefty fork but is otherwise stock. I am debating on a thud buster seat post.

Sweet ride Lee! Thanks for sharing, and I hope your back is feeling better!!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sweet ride Lee! Thanks for sharing, and I hope your back is feeling better!!
    thanks Craig!!!! It just kills me to look at this bike without riding it but hopefully I'll be able to get out on some singletrack in a month or so. Still getting some base miles in and doing some core work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Can anyone recommend a fender for the front of the bike? I was advised by Craig about a Dave's wide front mud shovel fender and had one on order but the vendor cancelled the order. I can't seem to find one online in stock anywhere. Are there any other fenders that will do a decent job of blocking some of the junk coming off of the front wheel???

Lefty for Fat Bikes-fatso-full-1.jpgI like the old fatty tire piece zip tied to the down tube approach.

This pic kinda shows what I mean, works great!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

They see me rolling.
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    Can anyone recommend a fender for the front of the bike? I was advised by Craig about a Dave's wide front mud shovel fender and had one on order but the vendor cancelled the order. I can't seem to find one online in stock anywhere. Are there any other fenders that will do a decent job of blocking some of the junk coming off of the front wheel???
    Universalcycles.com has 6 in stock, I would post the link but I am on my phone, but they are easy enough to find! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    For those looking for ideas to build on for using lefty's less than 8 years old...

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/201...ne-840284.html

Took it for another 20+ mile stomp this weekend after dialing in the Forc a little better.
    Gotta say, REALLY happy with the performance so far.

I'm old as dirt so riding the rigid without snow was making my wrists and shoulders ache.
    With the lefty, its very smooth like any other 30 pound hardtail, only it sticks in the corners
    better!
    Believe in yourself? Well, of course. Just be aware that believing in myself has been the root cause of most of my injuries!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    lefty ya say.

I could go a lefty. especially a fat one

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Lefty for Fat Bikes-clownshoes-907.jpg

Here is it halfway.
    Clearance is around 20mm from rim to fork leg.
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    Here's my lefty on an On-One Fatty. It uses Mendon Cycle Smith's clamps, a Marge Lite rim and project 321 hub. The lefty came from RLC sports here in Australia and has 90mm of travel.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-right2-low.jpg  

Lefty for Fat Bikes-alignment-low.jpg  

Lefty for Fat Bikes-lefty1-low.jpg  

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Lefty for Fat Bikes-907b2.jpgLefty for Fat Bikes-907b3.jpg

Here is the 100mm clamp style for my 907 with clown shoe rims.
    I used a fixed clamp carbon lefty and hacksawed off the original clamps.
    Experimental Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias_Hell├Âre View Post
    Here is the 100mm clamp style for my 907 with clown shoe rims.
    I used a fixed clamp carbon lefty and hacksawed off the original clamps.
    Cool! Did you make an entirely new top end, with threads, and the extended clamp?

That'd be the only way I could see doing it.

Got pics of the top end, un mounted?

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Mendon: The cap is straight enough to clamp on when tightened down, it will be stable enough. No need to make new top end.
    We will see how it turns out.

Proof of concept prototype, need to log more KM before I think it is OK.
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool! Did you make an entirely new top end, with threads, and the extended clamp?

That'd be the only way I could see doing it.

Got pics of the top end, un mounted?
    are the threads part of the clamp on the carbon models?

It looks like maybe he left that part of the clamp in place, and clameped on to the cap.

Kind of what I had in mind for both the upper and lower clamps: leave a ring of aluminum turned down a little in diameter to clamp to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by autodoctor911; 03-12-2013 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    having problems uploading pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-img_0920.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    have more pics but can't upload....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-img_0919.jpg  

mtbr member
    The colour matching of that lefty is absolutly top shelf! Love it.
    62*28'

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Yes.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post

It looks like maybe he left that part of the clamp in place, and clameped on to the cap.

Kind of what I had in mind for both the upper and lower clamps: leave a ring of aluminum turned down a little in diameter to clamp to.
    I have a carbon lefty elo that's down to bare carbon w a small amount of lathed aluminum on the top (where the screw on cap is. Looks promising for a prototype, the good news is a friend is an enthusiastic machinist and will design a both struts for me in his off hours time.

Can anyone tell me the length of the struts that are required?? having no luck finding center to center measurements anywhere.
    thanks,
    don

Quote Originally Posted by easterntide View Post
    Can anyone tell me the length of the struts that are required?? having no luck finding center to center measurements anywhere.
    I used the standard 17.5 offset. Unless you're looking to do something different, that has worked well for mine......

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I AM SO CLOSE! The suspense is agonizing. I just mailed my new-to-me '06 Lefty Max off to Mendon today for some 2012 updates, and general refurbishment, and a new wheel. LBS building the back wheel next week. Cannot wait!!!

Am also very excited for the Marge Lites. Was not super digging the Rolling Darryls after much riding on them (will use them for winter riding on flat trails, just didn't like on techy stuff). So this is a double-happy occasion.

mtbr member
    You'll love it, Jared! I just got my Lefty Speed 110 from Mendon yesterday and promptly dropped it off at the LBS for cut of steer tube, transferring the headset race, and a star nut press. Got it back this morning and mounted it on the Necro without too much fuss. They cut the steerer tube the same length as my old stock fork, luckily I had 3 spacers on my old one so the fact that they didn't calculate the upper clamp in the stack height didn't screw everything up permanently....I just used 2 spacers instead of the 3(when I saw what they did, I was sweating it a bit though!)
    Other that that, it rides and looks great. I was only able to do a neighborhood test ride before dinner but tomorrow I am planning on 15 miles of singletrack shakedown.
    Craig was super fast for turnaround time, you'll be riding before you know it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ShawnyMac, saw your bike at Allaire today..your friend was riding it. Very nice bike, pics don't do it justice. Did you do it yourself or LBS? Since seeing yours thinking of a FATTY as second bike. Need some info please, help me get one. Again very very nice bike, couldn't stop thinking all while I was riding....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    hahahaha....ya good buddy aye?
    Go back home for the holidays and this guy is riding my baby before i even hit the hywy.....
    welli bought the brackets from Mendon and had all the parts painted by my powder coater ,than had High Gear lace my wheel and adjust the lefty for me.....all the other stuff i did....xtr and carbon post and bars....etc....also has a buddy make my one off frame bag....once you go FAT you won't wanna ride anything else EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Please don't be upset with your friend..lol. Since seeing your bike, I went back to my LBS and started looking into getting one done simular to yours. I should've taken a picture, hope to see you on the trails again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    hahahaha if u want one let me know ill hook you up with one....i have a bunch of parts also if u need....

mtbr member
    I'm about to join the ranks. Just scored a Lefty Max

mtbr member
    Congrats! Pics are expected, once fatified, of course

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I can't believe I'm posting this but I had back surgery in October and am having some issues again. The doc basically told me it was time to slow down and quit being so hard on my body(I've had alot of health issues the past 4-5 years). I still have the bike in virtually un-ridden form. I rode it up to Walgreens one day to pick up a prescription so I put about 1.5 miles on it. .......if anyone is looking for a BRAND new 9zero7 with lefty fork that's ready to go let me know. I have over $3000 in the bike and am willing to let it go for significantly less. I do plan on keeping the pedals to use on my recumbent bike. If interested please send me an email: [email protected]. Thanks.

I know I'm late to the party but I figured it was time to post up a couple pics. I ordered the bike in October and before I received it I had to have emergency back surgery. I've ridden it in the neighborhood some but it probably won't see the trails for another month. Hopefully after another month of road riding my back will be up for some trails. The bike has a Mendon lefty fork but is otherwise stock. I am debating on a thud buster seat post.

A Surly Maverick
    Sorry to hear that Lee

It is a great looking bike and I am sure it will sell well.

Best wishes,
    Dr FG
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

mtbr member
    I can't believe I'm posting this but I had back surgery in October and am having some issues again. The doc basically told me it was time to slow down and quit being so hard on my body(I've had alot of health issues the past 4-5 years). I still have the bike in virtually un-ridden form. I rode it up to Walgreens one day to pick up a prescription so I put about 1.5 miles on it. .......if anyone is looking for a BRAND new 9zero7 with lefty fork that's ready to go let me know. I have over $3000 in the bike and am willing to let it go for significantly less. I do plan on keeping the pedals to use on my recumbent bike. If interested please send me an email: [email protected]. Thanks.
    Nice bike and all, but shouldn't this require a paid ad?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I didn't realize there was a paid ad section. sorry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    subscribed. got more to read but this is a great thread. im thinking about getting a lefty (found a good deal on one) and throwing it on the pugs but want to make sure it checks out before I buy the lefty.

question so far (i haven't been able to read the whole thread yet, sorry if it is answered in the thread)...
    What year are the bolt ons models? vs what year did they stop making the bolt ons? the one im looking at is a 2004 model.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRock24 View Post
    subscribed. got more to read but this is a great thread. im thinking about getting a lefty (found a good deal on one) and throwing it on the pugs but want to make sure it checks out before I buy the lefty.

question so far (i haven't been able to read the whole thread yet, sorry if it is answered in the thread)...
    What year are the bolt ons models? vs what year did they stop making the bolt ons? the one im looking at is a 2004 model.

cheers!
    Here is the info Craig sent me last year upon my first inquiry.

Mendon Cycle Smith Fat Lefty Information

Cannondale Lefty and Head Shock Service Performed by Professional, Trusted Technichian

Fat ones will only work with moveable type clamps as you need to use a wider spaced clampset to clear the tire. All the modern stuff is either bonded clamp, or integrated clamp, so it won't work.

As it happens, the new stuff is definitely flexier. The older DLR ti's are shorter travel, and can only work with the parts they came with, which are no longer available.
    The 2005-7 alloy Max 140 FFD/TPC/SPV series however, will gladly accept a 2012 PBR damper, so it's thoroughly modern, Solo Air, platform lockout, etc. 1/2 lb lighter than the original guts too.

These are also about the stiffest version of the Lefty there is. The DLR ti's are pretty stiff, but not quite so, and also only lesser travel.
    They are out there used, pretty cheap. Drop new guts in an '05 + for around 3 bills, choose your A to C and travel at that time too, source some clamps and you have a perfect clyde set up.

Forks are more or less stock, but yes, the clamps are the custom part. 17.5 mm offset, same as a Pug frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Guys,looking to join the fat bike world.Thinking of trying an on-one.I definitely need some sort of suspension.I imagine the modded lefty will work up front?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Guys,looking to join the fat bike world.Thinking of trying an on-one.I definitely need some sort of suspension.I imagine the modded lefty will work up front?
    Shout out to http://www.mendoncyclemith.com

for confirmation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Yes.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-right2-low.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Tim!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

identify this lefty

I'm all in for lefty on my 2014 mukluk 3. I really appreciate everyones hard work to make life a little more cushy. Can anyone help me identify this one? I don't want to get a pos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-img_20131029_230109.jpg  

Lefty for Fat Bikes-20131029_161835-1.jpg  

That's a 2005+ Max 140, good one if you want to drop a PBR into it.

As it sits it's 520 a to c and would allow 110 mm travel.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanx Craig, I'm learning from this forum but don't want to miss anything so your help is appreciated.

how much for you to pbr it? The 2014 mucluk 3 max travel is 100mm per their website.

Which clamps of yours would you recommend?

SPECIFICATIONSFrame 2014 Mukluk
    Wheelsize 26" fatbike (closer to 29" in diameter in reality)
    Tire Clearance Designed for 26 x 4.0" tires
    Fork Salsa Bearpaw Fork included
    Headset-Upper 1-1/8" Zero Stack (ZS44/28.6)
    Headset-Lower "For Tapered: 44mm External Cup (EC44/40) For Straight: Zero Stack (ZS44/30)"
    Front Brake 51mm I.S., minimum rotor size 160mm, maximum rotor size 180mm
    Front Spacing 135 x 9mm QR, front rotor/brake offset
    Derailleur Hanger Replaceable Alternator plates. Driveside Geared QR FS1312. Driveside Singlespeed QR FS1318. Non-driveside QR FS1313. 12 x 177mm Thru-Axle Kit FS1330
    Last edited by steelcut; 10-30-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: addded specs

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcut View Post
    Thanx Craig, I'm learning from this forum but don't want to miss anything so your help is appreciated.

how much for you to pbr it? The 2014 mucluk 3 max travel is 100mm per their website.

Go wild, use all 110mm of it available.
    Clamps depend on the length of your head tube. Let him know that or what size frame you're on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanx, added specs

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I got it for 70.00 with the hub. I think I stole it.

mtbr member
    I got it for 70.00 with the hub. I think I stole it.
    Holly crap! I'll take ten of those. If you get one for $300. You did great!

Shoot me an email for further info if you would please?

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It seemed to good to be true. Its being shipped today. Inspect and set it up. Looking for a hoop now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have Craig.thank you...
    My Mukluk is making my MTB gelous.

mtbr member

Lefty for Fat Bikes

MCS, pm sent

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    dear MCS have you done an offset crown for the moonlander yet? Want to experiment and make one? I will be your guy!

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by hopecyclery View Post
    dear MCS have you done an offset crown for the moonlander yet? Want to experiment and make one? I will be your guy!
    I have one of his first clamp sets - running 100mm rim and BFL at Moonie offset (28mm). Works fine. Would easily clear a Lou or Bud.

Quote Originally Posted by hopecyclery View Post
    No extra offset needed.

Bolt one on your Moonie and ride

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Does anyone have both a fat tire wheel and a 29er wheel on Lefty hubs that they can swap out at any time? Is that possible with the MCS clamps?

You could probably get it close, but it's less than ideal.

Better to pick up a set of Project 321 "standard" clamps, and be able to use the same for for both wheel set ups....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Dr Gadget is IN
    To elaborate:

If you get a set of fatclamps and build an offset fatwheel, you will rotate the Lefty and clamps to center that wheel with the frame.

If you then want to run a standard 29er wheel, you can either;

Build your 29er wheel offset to match the fatposition (which will give you very uneven tension and a weak wheel - 40/100 for Pugs, 8/100 for Moonie) OR

Build a standard 29er wheel and rotate the fatclamps and Lefty to center that wheel - and give yourself so much offset that you may have negative trail (and very twitchy handling) OR

Do as MCS recommended and swap to standard length conversion clamps.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I don't have a fat bike yet. Let's say I were to put a fat tire on my Cannondale Prophet - if the standard Project 321 clamps would work for both setups, can't I just use the clamps that are already on my Lefty? I'm confused now because I thought I would need longer clamps. Is the issue that the trail is decreased by rotating the standard clamps, and the MSC clamps address that issue?

Since the Prophet is the coolest full-suspension frame ever made (), I can move the bolt where the shock is mounted to switch the HTA from 69 to 67.5 degrees. Would that be enough to overcome the trail change?

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post
    Interesting. I don't have a fat bike yet. Let's say I were to put a fat tire on my Cannondale Prophet - if the standard Project 321 clamps would work for both setups, can't I just use the clamps that are already on my Lefty? I'm confused now because I thought I would need longer clamps. Is the issue that the trail is decreased by rotating the standard clamps, and the MSC clamps address that issue?

Since the Prophet is the coolest full-suspension frame ever made (), I can move the bolt where the shock is mounted to switch the HTA from 69 to 67.5 degrees. Would that be enough to overcome the trail change?
    MCS clamps are longer to keep the axle at the same trail/forward offset even tho the clamp is rotated outwards to give the sideways offset needed to clear the wider tire/rim. You might be able to rotate the P321 clamps far enough out for the sideways offset - but you would move the axle back and maybe have the tire hit the downtube when you hit a bump. changing the height of the rear end will not affect this.

mtbr member
    Good information. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Question for MCS:
    I have an old Lefty, with gouges across the keyway, below the top clamp. Either extreme cable rub, or frame strike induced. If I can manage to post pics, would you be able to let me know if it is worth sending for conversion or not?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    A rabbit hole rim with it's offset drilling should be ok though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cageracer View Post
    A rabbit hole rim with it's offset drilling should be ok though right?
    Building that rim up offset doesn't work well, or help. Build it symmetrically dish it slightly to the right and use P321 clamps, which will allow you to correct to center with some rotation in the clamps.

Using mine with it, as Wadester explained, will not give good results due to the increased offset of the clamps.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    Question for MCS:
    I have an old Lefty, with gouges across the keyway, below the top clamp. Either extreme cable rub, or frame strike induced. If I can manage to post pics, would you be able to let me know if it is worth sending for conversion or not?
    Send me an email please? I try to avoid conducting business contact type stuff on the boards, thanks!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post
    - if the standard Project 321 clamps would work for both setups, can't I just use the clamps that are already on my Lefty?
    In addition to that mentioned above, the original clamps have a "tooth" that aligns with the vertical keyway in the strut to make everything easy to line up as C'dale intended. If you wanted to use these clamps you wold have to grid off the tooth so that it may rotate out of alignment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So, I've come across two interesting tidbits today:

1. The new Supermax has wider clamp spacing than a conventional Lefty - I wonder if it gains enough spacing to make it fat-friendly with stock clamps?

2. The new Supermax has a wider hub (which is needed because of the increased clamp offset). I wonder if this hub could be used on a MCS offset lefty to allow non-offset 29er rims?

Oh, and if anyone is interested, RLC sport in Australia are selling Fatbike Leftys with MCS clamps.

Not enough for 26x4/5, but plenty for 29x3.

Nope, doesn't push the rim over enough.

It'd be nice, but they weren't thinking of us when they designed that bad boy....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just want to shout out how pleased I am with the lefty on my pug. Comfort, control and ride are really good. I was lucky enough to score a MCS rebuilt lefty. My use is dry trail as snow in Virginia is pretty rare. Over 50 here to comfort for the long haul is important to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageracer
    2. The new Supermax has a wider hub (which is needed because of the increased clamp offset). I wonder if this hub could be used on a MCS offset lefty to allow non-offset 29er rims?
    This is interesting. Do you how wide the old and new hubs are?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

2014 Mukluk

Lefty w/pbr installed. A big Thanx to MCS AND THE HUB bike shop in Colorado Springs.Lefty for Fat Bikes-lefty-2.jpg
    My Mukluk is making my MTB gelous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Build a standard 29er wheel and rotate the fatclamps and Lefty to center that wheel - and give yourself so much offset that you may have negative trail (and very twitchy handling) OR...
    I've been looking into the trail factor. I see how the trail changes by rotating the clamps, but how is the rim offset a factor?

Also, if I rotate the clamps out, the point at which the tire contacts the ground will move back while the steering axis would not change, right? If so, doesn't that increase the trail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Great candidate for conversion for sale on pinkbike

Cannondale Lefty max SPV 140mm For Sale

mtbr member

Idea!

have the lefty tag behind me and am very satisfied. Driveability and smoothness are increased significantly. some downhills and difficult passages are through the suspension now possible or can be mastered even safer.

Lefty for Fat Bikes-foto-0013.jpg

Lefty for Fat Bikes-foto-0021.jpg

Dear greetings from Germany

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Lefty for Fat Bikes-img_0489.jpg

Loving the lefty. Thanks to MCS and Storrs Center Cycle in Storrs, CT.

mtbr member
    I just finished installing the lefty conversion on my Moonlander and will test it tomorrow night on the local trails. The only unexpected issue is that the bottom fork clamp can hit the frame down tube if the wheel is twisted around in a fall (see gap between downtube and bottom clamp in the attached pic).

Has anyone come up with an effective frame bumper? I've temporarily wrapped the frame with the stock Cannondale bumper, but ideally there would be a bumper wrapped on the actual fork leg.

Note that the stock bumper is not thick enough to prevent contact. I'm only concerned because when I fall, I fall hard!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty for Fat Bikes-20141022_195028.jpg  

mtbr member
    My brother in law has a Large Moonlander with a Lefty. He had the same issue. He used the stock bumper on the frame but wrapped electrical tape under it to make it a tighter fit. It works well for him. Both of my Large 9-0-7's with Lefties installed make contact between the uber top clamp on the fork and the top tube on the bikes. I cut a small piece of hard rubber toe kick molding that is shapped in a 90 degree and glued it to the back side of the clamp where it would make contact with the frame. Works great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have the uber drop top clamp on my 9zero7 frame with a lefty. When the bars are hard left the top clamp can make contact with the top tube. I cut a small piece of rubber heater hose and taped it to the frame with a self fusing silicone tape and there seems to be plenty of cush to prevent damage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just look around the house or hardware store for something. Foam pipe insulation, rubber tubing, silicone tape, couple wraps of inner tube, cut up piece of old tire, rubber door/drawer stops. The newer Lefties have a stick on rubber bumper that you can buy aftermarket. Place it where ever needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Craig, are the new bottom clamps all machined out and fancy? Above is the 2nd pic I've noticed this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cannondale makes two different size bumpers and suggest you apply it to either the bicycle frame or fork to achieve the best protection. I have the large(KH074) mounted on the fork.
    WP_20141022_006 by bdroit, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by brknspk View Post
    I just finished installing the lefty conversion on my Moonlander and will test it tomorrow night on the local trails. The only unexpected issue is that the bottom fork clamp can hit the frame down tube if the wheel is twisted around in a fall (see gap between downtube and bottom clamp in the attached pic).

Has anyone come up with an effective frame bumper? I've temporarily wrapped the frame with the stock Cannondale bumper, but ideally there would be a bumper wrapped on the actual fork leg.

Note that the stock bumper is not thick enough to prevent contact. I'm only concerned because when I fall, I fall hard!
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Craig, are the new bottom clamps all machined out and fancy? Above is the 2nd pic I've noticed this.
    Yes they are. I have one of each.

Yep, started doing that a few batches ago now. Dropped some weight and added some cool factor

Many good bumper ideas. Here's mine.

Old road tire, cut off the bead and side wall so you just have an inch or so strip of tread. Wrapped around twice on the down tube, then taped snuggly with electrical tape in a color of your choosing, it's super dense, reusing a bit of otherwise garbage, and works great.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Cannondale makes two different size bumpers and suggest you apply it to either the bicycle frame or fork to achieve the best protection. I have the large(KH074) mounted on the fork.
    WP_20141022_006 by bdroit, on Flickr
    Whoa whoa whoa, stop the clock. How did you get a carbon lefty to fit a fat bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yep, started doing that a few batches ago now. Dropped some weight and added some cool factor .
    Damn, so much for being an early adopter.....
    Old school is still cool, right?

It's a beefy piece. How much weight did you carve out?

Not a huge weight drop, I think maybe 20 grams or so?

Old school is always cool!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Not a huge weight drop, I think maybe 20 grams or so?

Old school is always cool!
    That's it. I'm drilling mine out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Where can you get those canondale bumpers? Can't seem to find them online.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    That's it. I'm drilling mine out.
    Add more drillium!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geffr999 View Post
    Try eBay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have some eccentric circles that allow me to rotate the clamps, not enough to run Bud on Hundies but works good for 4" tires on Marge Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, stop the clock. How did you get a carbon lefty to fit a fat bike?
    If you don't find them online, any Cannondale dealer can order them. I like the big bumper because it has more absorption capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by geffr999 View Post
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageracer View Post
    So, I've come across two interesting tidbits today:

1. The new Supermax has wider clamp spacing than a conventional Lefty - I wonder if it gains enough spacing to make it fat-friendly with stock clamps?

Oh, and if anyone is interested, RLC sport in Australia are selling Fatbike Leftys with MCS clamps.
    you can contact rlc, but they led me to believe that i had bought their last 3 nos lefty max forks... i bought 2 opi, and 1 standard lefty max about a month ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've seen a couple fat bikes with the new Supermax 29 mounted - totally stock it appears, no replacement clamps that's for sure. They were running Marge Lites with 4" tires because I don't think larger works. Lamere even advertises that you can fit the Supermax to their size 15 and 17 fat bike frames. They have a pic with a Hudu mounted to what looks like an 80mm carbon rim.

Anyone want to post their experience with this? I've asked around about this a year ago and I heard then it wasn't possible.

The SM fits a 29+ set up with a nice bit of room to spare, it's a tad shy on room for a full fatty though.

I didn't try a 65 with a 4, as I don't prefer skinny fatties up front, so I don't have a wheel handy. Might fit, but there'd be a whisker of room for clearance.

There's some pics floating around of Cannondales fairly soon to be released fatty, with a Lefty that looks suspiciously SM like in it's construction.

Been speaking with another board member on here about a buddie of his who's now an engineer at 'Dale, who's first job was to design, said bike.

Half wondering if the fatties you're seeing are protos that some industry folks got sent.

All that said, I'm gonna knock some heads together if they don't at least get in touch with me about testing one for them considering how long I've been pushing this stone with their name on it, uphill against the powers that be!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have always wanted a lefty fork. How do they compare weight-wise with the Bluto?

Fred

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    From Lamere's Fat Bike page
    "Suspension on the Fat Bikes
    Yes, we can run the Lefty Supermax on our 15 and 17 sizes...."
    Lefty for Fat Bikes-fatty.jpg

How?! I will be emailing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did some research and found the Lamere fatties use a custom hub from Onyx Racing Products. I messaged them on facebook and got this response:
    "Hi Matt, we do have all the lefty hubs, standard, SuperMax and a special one if you want to put a 80-100mm rim on a fatbike with a lefty.
    All in stock.
    Thanks for asking. Our email is [email protected]"

Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    I have always wanted a lefty fork. How do they compare weight-wise with the Bluto?

Fred
    Pretty comparable, think their around 1800 grams, Max style with PBR and the older clamps, uncut steerer, is 2100.

Cut ~75 grams off with some clamp lightening a year ago, and the hub is lighter than the Bluto hub, so, yeah, pretty close unless you're a real gram counter.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd be interested in knowing what they did to make a custom hub. No pictures on facebook or their website that I can find.

Offset the hub flanges to the right? Right hub flange to the right of the axle cap? That'd make enough room for a built wheel to fit the fork but what do you do to re-center the wheel on the frame if the upper clamps are fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    Did some research and found the Lamere fatties use a custom hub from Onyx Racing Products. I messaged them on facebook and got this response:
    "Hi Matt, we do have all the lefty hubs, standard, SuperMax and a special one if you want to put a 80-100mm rim on a fatbike with a lefty.
    All in stock.
    Thanks for asking. Our email is [email protected]"
    Oh really??

Guess I know where that new Supermax I have in stock will be going now. Hurry up Salsa, need me some Bucksaw already!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    @MendonCycleSmith what adapter are you using for the Supermax on 1"1/8 headset?
    I read the standard lefty adapter doesn't work for the SM.

Mine is on a tapered HT Lenz FatMoth.

If memory serves, the clamp is slightly thicker, which will lead to it dragging on the hs cup, hence the unique version for the Supers......

I'd call and talk to P321, best way to get a straight answer, I haven't thought about mine since I set it up over a year ago.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mine is on a tapered HT Lenz FatMoth.

If memory serves, the clamp is slightly thicker, which will lead to it dragging on the hs cup, hence the unique version for the Supers......

I'd call and talk to P321, best way to get a straight answer, I haven't thought about mine since I set it up over a year ago.
    Ok thanks.

Mi problem is that P321 does not make a straight 1"1/8 SM adapter (i emailed them already), so I'm trying to work out how to do.
    I think I could machine down the lower lip of a standard lefty adapter, what do you think?

Maybe we are slightly OT here, I opened a topic about that just yesterday: http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/le...es-943153.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This looks like a very good deal to get a lefty fork, Mendon adapter, and lefty hub all for $400: Fatbike suspension fork-Lefty!!

If it gets blocked, just search Craigslist in VT for lefty.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with the seller. It just came up on another search I ran.

Fred

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    This looks like a very good deal to get a lefty fork, Mendon adapter, and lefty hub all for $400: Fatbike suspension fork-Lefty!!

If it gets blocked, just search Craigslist in VT for lefty.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with the seller. It just came up on another search I ran.

Fred
    It is gone - I wrote to the seller yesterday.

pug biker
    Yeah, Jake needs to get on this.

The really cool thing is that I'm going to spend a few days with him this week at Cannondale. I'll be sure to work on him, but we had discussed it before and he didn't seem to interested at that time, lots of time and energy for not a lot of sales. Perhaps with the fatties taking off, he might be more amenable than a year or two ago....

Any time you start playing around outside the box, there is no immediate correct, at least in my experience, at least not without getting dirty and seeing if it works. I have an offset Marge XC built up around a hub that just died, I'll have to get busy this week and see if that produces a ridable result without the *swing-out* I had to do with the 100.

The reason this is a concern, and kinda separate from the P321 units, is that Cannondale no longer makes moveable camp forks, they are all bonded. The Max and ti DLRs are nice forks, (bighit, this addresses your concern) since they're old, used forks can be had cheap, and hey, you need a proprietary hub for the Mavericks as well. But if you happen to want a new fork for your new toy, not gonna happen, at least with a super fat rim, without an old fork, and Jakes help...

soupboy, no scotch on this end, but a few big ales after a night of snowshoeing and I'm good
    Forget Cannondale, they are not in for intel from outside.
    We also mentioned it about Fatbike lefty's but your talking to a wall
    We had an new idea like the 650b: no interest, they say 650b is for a doubter. Next idea was the 650b+: no interest.
    Its too bad, they love to run after someone elses ideas
    greetzzz
    mike
    miesj

create your own FAT path 2 succes, don't just follow others

Kinda confused.

Zombie quote from me?

I've been having clamps made that work like a charm for several years now.

Curious why this is coming up now???

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    It is gone - I wrote to the seller yesterday.
    Tehdually had a Lefty set up for sale/trade in the fat bike trade thread 3 weeks ago. Don't know if it's gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Does anyone have a lead on a lefty fork that i could use on a Borealis Yampa - Size Medium. Craig has been exceptional with information about will work and what won't but I've come up empty on a couple of leads.

I am learning that what will not work for my application is a 100mm DLR-TI and i am looking for a longer suspension. Thanks again

thanks
    Last edited by blidner; 04-14-2015 at 06:22 PM. Reason: additional information

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    Does anyone have a lead on a lefty fork that i could use on a Borealis Yampa - Size Medium. Craig has been exceptional with information about will work and what won't but I've come up empty on a couple of leads.

thanks
    Sent you a pm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    Instead of piggybacking on MendonCycleSmith's two year old thread, or some of the other ones that touched on the idea, I figured I'd start a new one dedicated to the possibility of this combo. So MCS (and anyone else that might have insight on the matter), what's the latest? In a more recent post you seemed less than sold on the idea. The advantages are pretty clear, what are the drawbacks/challenges of running a Lefty on a fat bike?
    Like to ask the same question to run the Lefty on a Fat Bike Tandem? Anyone pull it off? Seen a few on the web but so far no one to talk to about it. Calfee and a German company show pictures and Cannondale shows a prototype and have stated not to do it but I am sure if Calfee did it, it works! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, we are in the process of selling our road tandem to purchase a Fat Tandem or tandem to put a Lefty on.

Can't see any reason not to do it, go for it!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have a query regarding a fork I may be interested in purchasing.The ad quotes this fork as being a Max, but claims 110mm with PBR, showing a spring internal system.
    The fork also has removable clamps.
    My questions;
    1: Is this a Max fork?
    2: Is that the PBR internals and would they have been retro fitted at a later date?
    3: This would work with MCS clamps on my fatty with 1+1/8" steerer conversion kit? I have a Ti frame with straight steerer Ti fork in it now and not a 44mm head tube.
    Lefty for Fat Bikes-lefty-pbr-110-2.jpg
    Lefty for Fat Bikes-lefty-pbr-110.jpg
    Lefty for Fat Bikes-lefty-pbr-110-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm super curious on the above. I suspect it is not the correct fork for the ApplicTion you have in mind. I've been looking for one as well (I won't touch that one, don't worry). I'm strongly considering a new supermax but the cost is so prohibitive

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's not max and not pbr. Looks like spv. Somebody polished the routers and slapped a pbr sticker on it. It will fit pbr internals not sure if it will hold the full 140mm though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    It's not max and not pbr. Looks like spv. Somebody polished the routers and slapped a pbr sticker on it. It will fit pbr internals not sure if it will hold the full 140mm though.
    My thoughts exactly. Won't need long travel as it would get swapped between my fatty and new Ritchey P27.5 frame. Mainly looking at what internals would suit best and could be retro fitted to this fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Apparently there is no air adjustment or air fitting on this fork which makes me think someone has flashed up a Jake fork?

It's just a Max 140, looks to be FFD, not that this really matters.

Someone did a snazzy job with stickers, why, who knows. It will accept a PBR.

Once that move has bee decided upon, you can choose between several a2c's and travels.

If the seller says 110, it's likely already got a 30 mm spacer in it for 29er use. And yes, it would fit my clamps, but if its going on a 27.5 skinny, no need to use mine, you'd want P321's.

But, if going on a skinny, unless it's a crazy deal and you just like it, any Lefty will work fine once travel reduced.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    MendonCycl, you obviously know your Lefty's. Some thoughts and advise on which Lefty and how to mount one on a 2014 Cannondale 29er tandem?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info MCS, after further discussion with the seller, he has no clue what he is selling. There is no air valve anywhere on it which I thought unusual. Might give this one a miss me thinks. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by shanesbw View Post
    Thanks for the info MCS, after further discussion with the seller, he has no clue what he is selling. There is no air valve anywhere on it which I thought unusual. Might give this one a miss me thinks. Cheers.
    Depending on price, it looks like a nice fork, and can have one put in at some point if you like.

Just sayin'...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbonn View Post
    MendonCycl, you obviously know your Lefty's. Some thoughts and advise on which Lefty and how to mount one on a 2014 Cannondale 29er tandem?
    Stack height will be the biggest factor. All the newer forks have fixed clamps, so it needs to be short enough to allow fit.

As to which one, it'll depend on what the existing a2c is, so you can get a fork that keeps handling the same, or at least so you can make in informed choice if you wish to change handling....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just found a Cannondale Lefty DLR here locally for my Charge Cooker Maxi. I'll be contacting Mendon the next day's he's open. This is a great thread!!
    Cannondale Super V700
    '14 Charge Cooker Maxi lefty and stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.