mtbr member

LE agencies using fat bikes for patrol?

Curious to see if there are any officers using fat bikes as patrol bikes. I can see the benefits of being able to patrol in all seasons, not just limited to the warmer months. The main draw back I would see is the weight, but when you add printers, tablets, lights, siren, etc. I donít see there being a whole lot of difference. Our agency only has two patrol bikes, but theyíre both small frames and Iím Clyde and they arenít even remotely close to being feasible. Trying sell my chief on a third bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Human Test Subject
    Minneapolis has at least one, but I think the guy that uses it is more community outreach than for real cop work. When I worked at the jail I asked multiple times if I could use it in the hallways and mods for health and welfare checks but they always said no.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

turtles make me hot
    A few years back I was the wheelbuilder for a shop on Long Island that sold only fat bikes. I know he sold quite a few fatties to towns that had lots of beach front. I think most of them were either Pugslies or Moonlanders and I'm positive at least one first gen Ice Cream Truck.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mehlertmj View Post
    Curious to see if there are any officers using fat bikes as patrol bikes.
    Talked to a fat-mounted officer on the Boise greenbelt two winters ago when it actually snowed a decent amount. It was his personal bike though. The department didn't supply fatbikes. They do supply plenty of mountain bikes for patrols though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Curious to see if there are any officers using fat bikes as patrol bikes. I can see the benefits of being able to patrol in all seasons, not just limited to the warmer months. The main draw back I would see is the weight, but when you add printers, tablets, lights, siren, etc. I donít see there being a whole lot of difference. Our agency only has two patrol bikes, but theyíre both small frames and Iím Clyde and they arenít even remotely close to being feasible. Trying sell my chief on a third bike.

In a city, you'd be far better off with studded tires on a mountain bike than a fatbike. I don't really see the point in buying a fatbike vs. a regular police mountain bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Short of beach patrol and perhaps a winter festival I am not seeing the usefulness. If there is enough unplowed snow to warrant one, the officer is going to want to be in a squad car.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Our loco police department is using E=fattty rigs with lights, sirens etc. Kinda fun to give em a run for their money with my analog fatty.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Saw a guy doing parking enforcement on a fatty in Marquette Michigan last July, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    In a city, you'd be far better off with studded tires on a mountain bike than a fatbike. I don't really see the point in buying a fatbike vs. a regular police mountain bike.
    This. Why the hell would you want to ride a fatbike on pavement except as part of a goofy Halloween costume?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    This. Why the hell would you want to ride a fatbike on pavement except as part of a goofy Halloween costume?
    A few years ago my son was going to be in the Memorial Day parade with his scout troop. The cops already had the road blocked off so I walked him down to the beginning of the parade to meet up with his troop and then rode my fatty back to my house. As I was riding up the blocked off parade route, I could hear people saying as I was approaching, Here comes the parade!
    I thought that was hilarious.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    You guys are harsh lol. I agree with the metro areas with just using a regular mountain bike, but I was more thinking rural patrol bike with four to five months of snow a year and more off road than pavement. I like riding in the winter, however I donít feel comfortable enough on an outdated Trek patrol bike with 26x2.0 on snow and ice trying to make it to a call.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You guys are harsh lol. I agree with the metro areas with just using a regular mountain bike, but I was more thinking rural patrol bike with four to five months of snow a year and more off road than pavement. I like riding in the winter, however I donít feel comfortable enough on an outdated Trek patrol bike with 26x2.0 on snow and ice trying to make it to a call.

Ahhh...didn't realize anybody patrolled off road in the winter by bike.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Ahhh...didn't realize anybody patrolled off road in the winter by bike.
    Yep, because that's where all the illegal activity happens, offroad on some lonely winter trail that hasn't seen a single sole since the November snows, hahaa. Srsly now, I just don't see offroad (dirt) fatbiking by LEO's as effective use of time. Great exercise - sure. Urban LEO bicycling, use studded bike tires as it's the best of both worlds. My two cents, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    Yep, because that's where all the illegal activity happens, offroad on some lonely winter trail

Well, they've got a fair chance of catching me out there taking a midride safety break.
    Of course, that's legal here now, so probably not the most efficient patrol method. Probably make sense for Fish and Game sort of stuff though.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Well, they've got a fair chance of catching me out there taking a midride safety break.
    Of course, that's legal here now, so probably not the most efficient patrol method. Probably make sense for Fish and Game sort of stuff though.
    Right? that's what I was thinking... Code 10 Code 10, we got a mountain-biker smokin the ghanga... I'm going in for the arrest !. Interesting point about fish-game, assuming not a lot of snowfall on the ground. Might be handy sneaking up on poachers and what not where a Vehicle would just make too much noise.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    Yep, because that's where all the illegal activity happens, offroad on some lonely winter trail that hasn't seen a single sole since the November snows, hahaa. Srsly now, I just don't see offroad (dirt) fatbiking by LEO's as effective use of time. Great exercise - sure. Urban LEO bicycling, use studded bike tires as it's the best of both worlds. My two cents, FWIW.
    Yeah, the places where LEOs patrol by bike are usually downtown, places like that. They are cleared immediately of snow, which is itself a pretty significant barrier to crime, but most of the time these places are just icy and clear and a fat-bike would be dumb, you'll get better traction and safety from a skinnier tire studded-tire bike and these are also the places where you can ride a skinny tire bike all winter, not because of climate, because they are downtown. A guy asked me on my commute a few weeks ago if he needed a fat-bike for winter commuting. Nope, 98% of the time in the icy snowy winter it's not needed, it won't snow enough that you can't ride through a few inches or it'll be packed down or plowed. Sure, every once and a while there's a day where it helps, but it can also be too much snow pretty fast for a fat-bike, so it's a pretty rare situation where it's really "needed" for commuting. Just not the same thing as riding trails. It's kind of fun to use commuting, but from a practical aspect, not necessary.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.