Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lazy Fat Pugsley Redux!

Over the years my Pugsley has seen a lot of action...

From 3 trips to Baja camping on the beach for weeks at a time...

....to many Canadian winter assault missions - including lots of corrosive salt and gritty sand road slush...

....it has seen the wild and crazy fun that is Burning Man while enduring a week or corrosive playa dust that literally killed lesser bikes left and right...

...rocking the CDN GDR with full camping gear? - yes sir!...

...spring mountain biking in the Canadian Rockies of course!...

She looked like this new...

She looks like this now...

So it's time to give back some of the love she has shown me over the years [only a handful of desert thorn flats and no mechanical problems] by fixing her up a bit....

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    looks like someone is ready for a fresh coat of powder...

g

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    looks like someone is ready for a fresh coat of powder...

g
    Indeed!...

I'm loving all the sweet high end fatties in this forum, but I can't afford to spend the $$ on such bling at the moment.

So my modest Pugsley Redux plan is:

- strip and powdercoat the frame
    - rustproof interior of frame
    - new Shimano SLX hydraulic brakes
    - de-rust the rotors
    - clean & inspect wheels
    - fix flat rear tube
    - install fresh Larry's
    - new chain
    - check BB bearings and replace as needed
    - pull OMM racks and leave off until next tour
    - new shifter cable and housing
    - ditch Titec H-bar for MTB riser bar

I'll be using the beast as a rigid MTB locally for the foreseeable future. If we have any snow this winter I'll be on it, but that usually only lasts a few days...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Rust

"Rust never sleeps"... Neil Young

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Alfine service?

hey Vik, Sean here.

Have you done any service to the Alfine rear hub yet? I've seen some people have torn them down and soaked it in ATF for example. Haven't touched the one on my Dummy yet. Interested to hear how its holding up to all the abuse you have doled out! ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    hey Vik, Sean here.

Have you done any service to the Alfine rear hub yet? I've seen some people have torn them down and soaked it in ATF for example. Haven't touched the one on my Dummy yet. Interested to hear how its holding up to all the abuse you have doled out! ;-)
    I've never touched it and don't plan to. Partially because I'm curious how long it will last and partially because I'm lazy and that sounds like too much work...

When she dies that Alfine won't owe me anything given what I've done to her... It will be a good excuse to build up some newer fat wheels with lighter rims.. I'll probably use an Alfine 11 next time because of the ability to change oil so easily.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Geordie biker
    doesnt look too bad considering the life its had, and will still have plenty of life left id imagine, so well done on keeping it and refreshing a few bits.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyman View Post
    doesnt look too bad considering the life its had, and will still have plenty of life left id imagine, so well done on keeping it and refreshing a few bits.
    I've been impressed as I pull it apart. All the bearings are still serviceable and it looks like I won't have to replace anything on the rebuild that I don't feel like upgrading such as the brakes and tires...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Geordie biker
    thats great, i bought a pug as i knew they were known to be solid work horses.......im lazy too, so a wipe down and oil is all i will do unless something wears out.

hence im keeping a milage record for mine to see how long things last.....
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Some stainless Allen bolts off ebay will help tidy up your rebuild too Vic
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Got the Pugsley stripped down and took off the worst of the dirt.

Loaded up the frame/fork and took 'em down to my local powder coating shop. Sadly they are crazy busy so it will be 2 weeks before I see them again... Oh well lots of time to clean up all the other parts and get ready for the rebuild.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Some new paint will be appreciated!...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    you might want to inspect it between blasting and powder. just to make sure you haven't lost too much material to rust.

just my nickel.

g

All fat, all the time.
    Wow nice!
    Be sure to splurge for a new chainring up front while you're at it

vik
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Wow nice!
    Be sure to splurge for a new chainring up front while you're at it
    I checked out the chainring and it looks okay...
    safe riding,

Vik
    www.thelazyrando.com

mtbr member
    Vik, your posts on your CDN GDR trip was what got me thinking about building up an alfine pug in the first place. i am still riding the crap out of it and hand a great trip on the OR coast a couple weeks ago.
    i've had similar thoughts regarding the alfine 11 and lighter wheelset. but then i start thinking about the trips i'd *really* like to do - packrafting, bushwacking, lots of coast riding. i am considering building a SS wheelset with wider, drilled rims. then i think it really wouldn't be much more to build a WHOLE NEW FAT BIKE. then i get in trouble with my wife.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aljee View Post
    Vik, your posts on your CDN GDR trip was what got me thinking about building up an alfine pug in the first place. i am still riding the crap out of it and hand a great trip on the OR coast a couple weeks ago.
    i've had similar thoughts regarding the alfine 11 and lighter wheelset. but then i start thinking about the trips i'd *really* like to do - packrafting, bushwacking, lots of coast riding. i am considering building a SS wheelset with wider, drilled rims. then i think it really wouldn't be much more to build a WHOLE NEW FAT BIKE. then i get in trouble with my wife.
    I'm glad I was able to pump up your fatbike stoke!...

Other folks on this forum did the same for me. First step in getting FAT is just wrapping your head around the possibilities and the best way to do that is to read about other rider's exploits. I've been feeling a bit uninspired about biking of late...In someways it's not awful I'm still MTBing and utility riding around town with less focus on the bike and just using it as a tool. OTOH I recently found myself excited again because of lurking on this MTBR sub-forum and got motivated to refurbish my Pugsley. It's great that we can keep passing the stoke around and it leads to some fun adventures that wouldn't happen without it....

Your tour looks awesome [posted a link on my blog] and now that I'm living on Vancouver Island OR is just a day trip away. I'd love to check out some dune/beach riding down there. If you plan another trip and don't mind a Cannuck tagging along let me know! My main Pug buddy here is in school 11.5 months a year so no trips are possible and I don't enjoy touring solo that much...

I've got an Epic/Relevate Designs frame bag from Eric that needs some abuse and Scott from Porcelain Rocket moved into town a short ride away from me so a bar bag and seatbag would give me a solid bikepacking setup [I vowed not to use panniers again on my Pug after the CDN GDR trip].

In terms of your questions about the Alfine 11 and buying a new Fatbike....it would be cheaper to just buy a complete bike, but that can be hard in terms of blowing several thousand $$ at once and I haven't seen a Fatbike spec'd the way I'd want so doing it piece by piece makes more sense to me even if the cost ends up being more. If you go the 907 135mm route for a new bike you can build some wheels for your Pugs and then swap 'em over to the new ride eventually. In fact your wife won't realize that as you slowly upgrade every part on your Pug you are essentially building a new bike. Than at the last moment buy the new frame/fork and just say I had all the rest of the parts I needed just laying around!...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    quote '' In fact your wife won't realize that as you slowly upgrade every part on your Pug you are essentially building a new bike. Than at the last moment buy the new frame/fork and just say I had all the rest of the parts I needed just laying around!... ''

that's great! I am definitely going to use that trick, just perfect. Thanks!
    ( I pulled it off once to silently switch from one ti frame to another and built it up with te same old parts but that stopped when I made the change from ti diamond to a ti spaceframe
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

mtbr member
    awesome! yeah, we will send a shout out for the next trip. i do have a trip I am doing on my fatbike in 2 weekends (nov 4-5), but it's not exactly a 'fatbike trip'. I will be hauling some camping gear down the Deschutes and hope to get some hunting and/or fishing in. it's an open invite so anyone is welcome!

and thanks for the compliment on the trip. i didn't really want to do panniers, but i got a bit lazy and didn't feel like patching up my framebag. it was a blast and only the second camping trip on the pugs. here are some pics from the first. Still can't believe that happened!

great idea regarding spousal economics. i slowly built up the pugs to hide the 'true' costs. but then my wife is like 'isn't that a chris king headset? that's a really sweet part, right?' umm, yeah.... but i was so happy, she didn't care

regarding the build ideas, i definitely have considered the 9zero7/alfine 11 combo. like you, i don't care for any of the complete fatbike builds as they all are derailleur drivetrains and i ride in the sand a good bit of the time. if i lived closer to snowy single track, i would reconsider the completes (or more likely build up a fatback). my pugs is heavy as hell, even for a fatbike, so pretty much anything i do will help. i like the thought of an alloy frame for corrosion issues, but love my pugs and the frame - great framebag space and it just looks cool to me.

good luck on the rebuild. i am sure it will turn out great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joop View Post

that's great! I am definitely going to use that trick, just perfect. Thanks!
    ( I pulled it off once to silently switch from one ti frame to another and built it up with te same old parts but that stopped when I made the change from ti diamond to a ti spaceframe
    The other option is to to ask her if she wants to be $3K richer and you'll be 30lbs heavier or $3K poorer and you'll be a sexy beast from all the fat tire biking?....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

So while I wait for the frame/fork to be powder coated:

- cleaned wheels of the heavy duty crap on them with warm soapy water
    - patched my flat Big Fat Surly Tube [BFST]
    - started getting the bits to convert my Large Marge/Larry wheels to tubeless
    - found a new SRAM 8spd chain for $14.50
    - got some wax chain lube to try

I'm going to clean some of the smaller parts today and bust out the dremel to take the rust off the metal bits that I am putting back on the Pugs [ie. disc rotors].
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hey Vik, if you are having problems getting a tube for your ghetto conversion, maybe you have something along the lines of Gorilla Tape up there??

is so, maybe try this conversion out?

Tubeless Larry! | Riding the Great Divide on a Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Did you grind off the brake posts? If I were to coat my Pugs fork I'd have 3 bottle bosses put on each leg too, more options for your bikepacking trips.

Are you going with Larry's or BFLs? Would one work in the rear on Large Marges and the Alfine chainline?

Can't wait to see photos!

vik
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    Did you grind off the brake posts? If I were to coat my Pugs fork I'd have 3 bottle bosses put on each leg too, more options for your bikepacking trips.

Are you going with Larry's or BFLs? Would one work in the rear on Large Marges and the Alfine chainline?

Can't wait to see photos!

No I didn't grind my brake posts off. My Old Man Mountain racks attach to them.

I've never really understood the water bottles on the forks thing myself. A water bladder strapped to my racks always seemed like a better idea to me. You can go from 0 to 10L or even 20L of water capacity when you need to or not bother depending on your trip. Not to mention I own the racks and the bladders so it's a no cost solution.

I'll be using Large Marges with Skinny Larrys for the rebuild. I already had a new set of these tires in my garage I bought a year ago. If I didn't I'd be tempted to try some Mega Larrys just for the sake of pushing things to the fattiest possible...
    safe riding,

Vik
    www.thelazyrando.com

vik
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doco View Post
    hey Vik, if you are having problems getting a tube for your ghetto conversion, maybe you have something along the lines of Gorilla Tape up there??

is so, maybe try this conversion out?

Tubeless Larry! | Riding the Great Divide on a Fat Bike
    Thanks - it's good to have options...
    safe riding,

Vik
    www.thelazyrando.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The other option is to to ask her if she wants to be $3K richer and you'll be 30lbs heavier or $3K poorer and you'll be a sexy beast from all the fat tire biking?....
    Pssh! My wife would take the $3k in a heartbeat.

I do use the buy the parts a bit at a time trick, however. I think I'm fooling nobody, however, as she sees the steady stream of boxes that the UPS man brings...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    [I vowed not to use panniers again on my Pug after the CDN GDR trip].
    Please elaborate! Sounds like you have a pretty strong opinion about this.

Also, why are you ditching the Titec bars? I thought everybody loved 'em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by empire_builder View Post
    Please elaborate! Sounds like you have a pretty strong opinion about this.
    My Pugsley with OMM racks and Ortlieb panniers is a very effective touring bike for dirt road tours. It worked just fine on the rough roads of the CDN GDR. So from that perspective I have nothing to complain about.

Where I was dissatisfied was that the part of the GDR I was on offered some opportunities for fun spirited riding which I couldn't take full advantage of because of the weight I was hauling. A Pug with 4 fully loaded panniers handles like a dump truck and I had to be aware of picking a reasonable line to manage the peak loads on my racks and panniers.

By ditching the panniers in favour of a frame bag and either a bar/seat bag setup or stuff lashed to my OMM rack tops the amount I can carry is reduced and the weight is centralized in the frame. This improves the handling and means I can have a more nimble bike I'm not afraid to launch of rocks and get some airtime because she'll break when she comes down.

The other aspect of this decision is that with less weight it's easier to cover more ground which means less time between resupply which means you need to carry less.

I'd rather have less with me, move faster and enjoy my time riding more than carry a ton, ride slowly, need more gear and food while enjoying the riding less. A un-vicious circle so to speak...

Also, why are you ditching the Titec bars? I thought everybody loved 'em.
    I do love Titec H-bars in general. I use them on my Big Dummy and Pugsley. They have one flaw though - they weren't designed for shifters so there isn't much room to fit the controls and that means in my case that the brake levers are on the front part of the "H" and my grips + high leverage hand position is on the back side. For most use that's not an issue - except for technical/steep MTBing where easy access to brakes and the high leverage hand position is pretty critical.

This has discouraged me for doing as much technical MTBing with the Pug as I would like and it's capable of.

One solution is to go back to a MTB style riser bar which is great for techy riding, but doesn't offer loads of hand positions for all day rides/tours. The other is to get a Jeff Jones Loop H-bar which is a variant of the H-bar that is designed for shifters and has room for grips+shifter+brake lever on the back side of the "H" in the high leverage hand position.

I have a MTB riser bar spare and a Loop H-bar spare so I'm debating what to use. If I run the Loop H-bar and keep the OMM racks on the Pugs I maintain its touring/utility potential at the expense of some extra weight/complexity.

I'm keen on a 9:zero:7 Fatty setup as a [lighter] weight MTB and keeping the Pugs for touring/utility rides. But at the moment my 2012 bike budget doesn't have enough fun tokens for a blinged out 907 so my Pugs may just have to suck it up and pull both jobs...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Pssh! My wife would take the $3k in a heartbeat.
    Well the upside is you have a $3K nacho and beer slush fund now and her permission to pack on the pounds! Then start watching 10hrs per day of TV [more on the weekends] because none of your bikes are getting you stoked...I bet she changes her mind...and if not you've got the snacks and you'll be up to date on Law and Order...

I do use the buy the parts a bit at a time trick, however. I think I'm fooling nobody, however, as she sees the steady stream of boxes that the UPS man brings...
    If you lived close to me I'd let you send boxes here and you could come over and play with your covert bling whenever you wanted...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Gotta pay to play
    I do love Titec H-bars in general. I use them on my Big Dummy and Pugsley. They have one flaw though - they weren't designed for shifters so there isn't much room to fit the controls and that means in my case that the brake levers are on the front part of the "H" and my grips + high leverage hand position is on the back side. For most use that's not an issue - except for technical/steep MTBing where easy access to brakes and the high leverage hand position is pretty critical.

This has discouraged me for doing as much technical MTBing with the Pug as I would like and it's capable of.

One solution is to go back to a MTB style riser bar which is great for techy riding, but doesn't offer loads of hand positions for all day rides/tours. The other is to get a Jeff Jones Loop H-bar which is a variant of the H-bar that is designed for shifters and has room for grips+shifter+brake lever on the back side of the "H" in the high leverage hand position.
    Maybe a J-Bar might work for you? I run it on my SS but it is supposed to have the right bar size/spacing for shifters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Maybe a J-Bar might work for you? I run it on my SS but it is supposed to have the right bar size/spacing for shifters.

It looks to have the same area behind the flat part of the bar as the H bar - based on the photos. While the Loop H Bar has a much longer section behind the flat bar for controls.

I also own H-bars, Loop H-bars and standard MTB risers so I'll find a solution amongst these "paid for" options if I can.

In these photos the Titec H-bar has the partial bar tape on it and the Jeff Jones Loop H-bar is naked.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    get your parts sent to work! problem solved. i will typically do that anyway, so they don't get snatched from my stoop!

mtbr member

Mounted some new scrawny Larrys with tubes and pumped up to 22psi to stretch them out.

$14.50 for a new SRAM chain.

Dremeled the rust off of various parts.

Cleaned the dirt off.

I thrashed the seatpost and saddle with my sledge hammer removal technique......not the most subtle way to go...

I was amazed in what great shape the Phil BB and Cane Creek headset were. I wipe them down and they'll go straight back in.

The Avid BB7s cleaned up nice and are still smooth. I may just stick with them rather than installing hydraulic stoppers.

I cleaned the rims and hubs. Everything looks good. I'm not going to bother opening them up - too lazy!...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice work Vik. Looking forward to seeing it rebuilt with new fresh powder! Be sure to get the decal kit...they look so plain without the decals!

mtbr member
    Nice work Vik. Looking forward to seeing it rebuilt with new fresh powder! Be sure to get the decal kit...they look so plain without the decals!
    Thanks! I'm hoping the powder coaters call me early this week.

I wouldn't put the stock decals back on the Pugs. I'm not that attached to them to pay to get 'em back.

I may get something custom done...depends how motivated I get...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a spare white decal kit from when I repowdered my Dummy. No Pugsley name sticker but the rest is the same I believe. Yours if you want them as I'm cleaning out my garage and my LBS gave me a black and a white sticker set for free. PM me if you want them - I'll send them out this week.

The Dog.
    The Avid BB7s cleaned up nice and are still smooth. I may just stick with them rather than installing hydraulic stoppers.

I cleaned the rims and hubs. Everything looks good. I'm not going to bother opening them up - too lazy!...
    Remember that rotors wear out...ie have a minimum recommended thickness. The cost of new rotors is so minimal, I'd just buy new ones rather than risk one failing.

I wouldn't replace the BB7's, though. I'd rebuild them. After heavy use, I've had mine stick closed before. They rebuild real easy, though, and are super smooth with some fresh grease inside.

mtbr member
    I have a spare white decal kit from when I repowdered my Dummy. No Pugsley name sticker but the rest is the same I believe. Yours if you want them as I'm cleaning out my garage and my LBS gave me a black and a white sticker set for free. PM me if you want them - I'll send them out this week.
    I appreciate the offer, but I'm good...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    Remember that rotors wear out...ie have a minimum recommended thickness. The cost of new rotors is so minimal, I'd just buy new ones rather than risk one failing.

I wouldn't replace the BB7's, though. I'd rebuild them. After heavy use, I've had mine stick closed before. They rebuild real easy, though, and are super smooth with some fresh grease inside.
    Those rotors are fine. I don't brake much... I'm not worried about it - they've got a ton of material left.

I was surprised how smooth the calipers were still. Unless they get sticky I've got no interest in rebuilding them. Just not worth the bother. I've got enough disk brakes in the fleet that if something fails I can replace from my own stock. If I was going on a big trip I'd be more concerned.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Chris Bling

- started getting the bits to convert my Large Marge/Larry wheels to tubeless

So how low of pressures are you seeing when you run tubeless on your Marge/Larry combo? I have been pondering some different ways to make the tubeless conversion work better....
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    So how low of pressures are you seeing when you run tubeless on your Marge/Larry combo? I have been pondering some different ways to make the tubeless conversion work better....
    I haven't done it yet. I got the idea from the thread below - I would ask there:

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tub...yl-745684.html
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Hi Vik,

We've been crossing internet paths for a while now, and it seems like the fatbike thing has brought us back together. I had a LHT before so I used to follow your posts on the LHT list. I've since sold it, but I've picked up a fatbike and I'm not looking back. I just re-read your fatbike CDN GDR posts, and after riding part of the GDR this summer I was able to follow along and know where you were.

I'd like to chime in on your pannier/framebag conversation. I ride my Mukluk with just bikepacking bags and the bike handles great. Some friends and I just did some bikepacking on Catalina Island a couple weeks ago. I was the only fatbike there, but there was no disadvantage. I kept an eye on the weight, ok eye isn't correct, microscope might be a better term, but the bike was awesome. Panniers wouldn't work for me. Too much weight in the racks and the bags alone. The bikepacking setup allows me to ride anything at any time. Singletrack, fireroads and even commutes to work.

I'm also a randonneur and a fan of your Boulder. I've been meaning to send you an email about it. I'm pretty sure it's my next brevet frame. Similar to your trick mentioned above, I've got a Kogswell 650b all built up. I just want to switch out the frame with the Boulder. I know you come down to Baja from time to time. I'm near Los Angeles, so next time you pass through drop me a line. We can do a fatbike ride down here if you have the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Area45 View Post
    Hi Vik,

We've been crossing internet paths for a while now, and it seems like the fatbike thing has brought us back together. I had a LHT before so I used to follow your posts on the LHT list. I've since sold it, but I've picked up a fatbike and I'm not looking back. I just re-read your fatbike CDN GDR posts, and after riding part of the GDR this summer I was able to follow along and know where you were.
    You've got great taste in bikes...

Do you have a report of your GDR trip online? How did you enjoy the Flatwood Valley section between Sparwood and the US border?

Scott from Porcelain Rocket moved into town 15mins from me so I'll be headed over to his place to order up some front and rear bags to add to my Epic frame bag. With a bikepacking setup a fat bike rides a lot more like a MTB and less like a touring barge!

I'm also a randonneur and a fan of your Boulder. I've been meaning to send you an email about it. I'm pretty sure it's my next brevet frame. Similar to your trick mentioned above, I've got a Kogswell 650b all built up. I just want to switch out the frame with the Boulder.
    The Boulder is the best low trail 650B production frameset you can find on a $$$/performance/options basis. A friend just went through the exercise of breaking down all the rando frame options and if you want a light tube set for your frame Boulder won hands down.

If you read my blog you know that I have bike ADD and swap/change stuff a lot to try things out. For 2012 I won't be doing anything to my Boulder which says something!...

I know you come down to Baja from time to time. I'm near Los Angeles, so next time you pass through drop me a line. We can do a fatbike ride down here if you have the time.
    I've got some of my best friends in LA so I never seem to get anything done when I'm in town other than visit with them. It doesn't help that I get there after 2 epic days of solo road tripping from Mexico or Canada. Having said that I would love to ride my fatty down in your neck of the woods and meet another fat tire fanatic.

We just have to hook up for some riding in Santa Cruz before I get to LA...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    You've got great taste in bikes...

Do you have a report of your GDR trip online? How did you enjoy the Flatwood Valley section between Sparwood and the US border?
    Yep, you can check it out on my blog here. We were there early in the year so we had to do the re-route around the Flathead. Bummed that we missed that, but I'm looking forward to going back and riding it. Maybe with the fatbike!

mtbr member
    Yep, you can check it out on my blog here. We were there early in the year so we had to do the re-route around the Flathead. Bummed that we missed that, but I'm looking forward to going back and riding it. Maybe with the fatbike!
    Thanks for the link...if my boss calls you to complain that you wasted 1/3rd of my day reading the report it's not my fault!...hahahaha....

Based on my limited GDR experience a fatbike is an ideal weapon for the route...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for taking the time to write up a report...you've cured me of any desired to ride the GDR in a race format... I enjoy sleeping, eating and drinking beer too much...

I sympathize with the mental issues you went through riding for so long solo and with so much effort. I've been through the same thing [not as hard core a ride though!] and once your head is out of the game it's impossible to keep going. But, you know unless you are paid to race bikes if you are having a shitty time what's the point?...

I've learned my lesson and I don't do any hard tours by myself and I build in the opportunity to change the pace/goals as needed to keep smiling. A long hard effort when you want to is super fun, but knowing that if the weather turns of if you feel like crap you can stop early and chillax with a buddy and few beers is nice to have in the back of your mind. Often times the only thing you need to get back to 100% is the mental space to get go of an unattainable goal and reset to something you can make happen.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Talked to the powder coaters on Tuesday and guy said it would be 2 more weeks for my bike frame because they had an issue with a big order that delayed everything...4 weeks of waiting was going to be hard, but I tried to let go of my impatience.

Then yesterday at 4pm a different guy calls me and says my bike is ready. Score...now to go get it and hope 1) they are talking about the correct frame and 2) they painted it the right colour...at this point I'd roll with hot pink if necessary...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    awesome, can't wait to see it!

mtbr member

I bet you are green with envy...hahahaha...

Next up:

- frame saver
    - reinstall headset at my LBS

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    nice, that pugs frame cleaned up really well!

Geordie biker
    wow, that looks great!

incredible hulk
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    lol at incredible hulk. That looks friggin' awesome, though.

mtbr member

I rustproofed my Pugs frame/fork which was a hella messy job!... My LBS only charges $15 to do it which I now see as the bargain of the century...

I realized by Phill BB bearings needed to be replaced happily my LBS had some for me.

I managed to cut the shift housing for my Alfine 8 1" too short...dooh!... so that didn't get installed.

Which was okay because I noticed some play in my IGH's axle so I am going to Google how to tighten everything up this AM and get that taken care of.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I was stoked to get everything put together last night. Despite being a long standing Pugs owner I was still blown away by how wild the beast looked once I got the wheels installed....

Here were the parts that needed to be replaced during the rebuild:

- 8spd SRAM chain
    - cables & housing
    - bearings in BB
    - new powder coat

Not bad for 3yrs of use!...

That's not counting stuff I replaced because I wanted to try something different [ie. tires, bars, etc...] the old ones are totally serviceable I just wanted to see how the Pugs was to ride setup as a MTB as opposed to a touring/exploration rig.

I'll run the Larry's for now and swap in some Nates after NYE. Nates will be my MTBing rubber and some combo of Larry's and Endo's will be used for sand/snow.

If my fat MTBing sessions are fun this winter I'll probably build up a lighter 907 fat MTB rig next fall and return the Pugs to touring/exploration duty.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Geordie biker
    wow, total makeover!

looks great and like a new bike........anything to add> stickers, loop bar?
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member

Before and after....

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rednose/Greenback
    Beautiful job!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyman View Post
    .....anything to add> stickers, loop bar?
    For now I'll ride as is.

- I've got a Jones Loop H-bar I'll use when I convert her to touring form.
    - My buddy is giving me back a Selle Anatomica saddle I'll use on the Pugs.
    - I've got some Nates on order
    - I'll install some splash guards on the DT and ST
    - no plans for decals or head tube badge...I might do something when the mood strikes me??

I'm debating the merits of building up a new wheelset with either Rolling Darryls or Marge Lites. Part of me wants some lighter and/or wider rims vs the LM DHs on the Pugs. But, part of me figures I should just ride as is until something breaks and save any fat tire bling $$ for a new lighter AL rig next fall.

I'll just ride her like this for a few months and see what I think...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    What seat is that? Looks comfortable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    What seat is that? Looks comfortable.
    SGD F-Style saddle...not nearly as comfy for me as a leather saddle, but not bad for a plastic saddle:

RAILED SEATS SDGComponents.com
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

get down!
    awesome job...that green looks great
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    very very nice. i am going to give you a shout about some upcoming fatpacking trips real soon...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    awesome job...that green looks great
    Thanks....this bike is essentially a rainforest & beach/dune bike now as we get little to no snow where I live now. I figured green would be at home in the forest...

Quote Originally Posted by aljee View Post
    very very nice. i am going to give you a shout about some upcoming fatpacking trips real soon...
    Thanks! I'm headed over to Porcelain Rocket HQ this week to finalize my bike packing bag order, but I can make something happen even before I get my fat bike bag bling from Scott.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Took the Pugs out for a local test session to make sure nothing falls off when I head further from home...

Nothing more than a couple touches with an allen key req'd...

Too bad the minty fresh cleanness only lasted 0.5 days...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Muskoka

Good job! Nice colour!!

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member

The bad news is she only stayed clean for about half a day...

The good news is she only stayed clean for about half a day...

I ordered a new set of bikepacking bags from Scott at Porcelain Rocket yesterday...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Looking good! We won't loose you in a crowd, that's for sure!

Self-defeatist
    Pump track!!

Nice job updating the bike. It was one of the few with an Alfine when I built my Pug. Thanks for the inspiration, keep it up.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think I'll still opt for small pan's for an OR Dunes tour. Maybe "Front Rollers" on the back. Can get real,real wet on the OR coast in the spring... Plus extra room for a beer run! I'll probably opt for a small tent instead of a bivy too. I've got an older North Face Talus... pretty tight but room for two in a pinch. It'll be extra weight if we got good weather... but mother nature's got a way of testing your "saturation tolerance" on the Pacific NW Coast... especially in the spring. The older I get, the less ambition I have to "suffer" on my time off from work. And the more I want enjoy my vacation time (as dry as possible anyway). Not sure if I could fit everything in on a "rack-less, speed-tour" set-up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    I think I'll still opt for small pan's for an OR Dunes tour. Maybe "Front Rollers" on the back. Can get real,real wet on the OR coast in the spring... Plus extra room for a beer run! I'll probably opt for a small tent instead of a bivy too. I've got an older North Face Talus... pretty tight but room for two in a pinch. It'll be extra weight if we got good weather... but mother nature's got a way of testing your "saturation tolerance" on the Pacific NW Coast... especially in the spring. The older I get, the less ambition I have to "suffer" on my time off from work. And the more I want enjoy my vacation time (as dry as possible anyway). Not sure if I could fit everything in on a "rack-less, speed-tour" set-up.
    I don't disagree with your approach in principal and I'm not an ultralight guy in usually. The problem is having toured off pavement with my Pugs and panniers the extra weight/bulk took away a significant amount of the fun potential I could have had. The way you ride a Pugs off road depends on how nimble it is and when you have to push how narrow it is. Unlike a road touring bike where you pretty much crank along in a straight line.

Since I tend to spend most of my day riding on these sorts of trips I figure it's important to ensure that part is really fun.

As you point out the key will be to have enough gear with you to be comfortable and happy. That will be a trial and error effort. I will of course be planning to go bikepacking when the forecast isn't for torrential rain. Even if you have 4 panniers full of stuff that wouldn't be much fun.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't disagree with your approach in principal and I'm not an ultralight guy in usually. The problem is having toured off pavement with my Pugs and panniers the extra weight/bulk took away a significant amount of the fun potential I could have had. The way you ride a Pugs off road depends on how nimble it is and when you have to push how narrow it is. Unlike a road touring bike where you pretty much crank along in a straight line.

Since I tend to spend most of my day riding on these sorts of trips I figure it's important to ensure that part is really fun.

As you point out the key will be to have enough gear with you to be comfortable and happy. That will be a trial and error effort. I will of course be planning to go bikepacking when the forecast isn't for torrential rain. Even if you have 4 panniers full of stuff that wouldn't be much fun.
    For sure. And there's allot of ways to approach a "tour" of the OR Dunes. The whole area is only 50 ish miles long. If you were to stick to the beach, and you arranged a boat to take you across the Umpqua, You could just about "knock it out" in a day. Some of the best scenery isn't even visible from the beach or the highway. some points of interest require riding in to areas of open dunes, lakes, tree islands,etc. and back tracking or looping around and sometimes exiting an area where you entered. Lots of un-needed hauling of camping gear & supplies. In some of the areas of larger dunes, It's funnest, and most economical (time & energy wise) to ride w/ no load or a light "day load". Might be cool in a couple strategic places to use Bear Bags for the food and leave the camping gear in a base camp for a few hours to ride loops in & out of interesting areas. Last time I was there, My wife (she doesn't ride... not like that anyway) & I camped the whole time at a centrally located camp ground and I rode three day long loops while she did some "town touring". I covered 70+ miles of dunes and beaches, revisiting a couple really cool spots (and we ate quite good in camp). Barely scratched the surface of "Fat Bike Paradise"! Anyhow, doing loops from base camps allows for a little heavier load headed down the beach. Best time to "chance" good weather down there (although never predictable) is late Summer into Fall. Spring is usually pretty wet (beautiful when the sun comes out though). Anyway, sorry Vik, I'll stop hijacking you're "Pugs Revamp" thread. Riding snow this weekend close to town here on the east slope of the Cascades. Let me know when your coming south, we'll try to get a ride in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG View Post
    Pump track!!

Nice job updating the bike. It was one of the few with an Alfine when I built my Pug. Thanks for the inspiration, keep it up.
    Thanks... I've been inspired by previous Pug builds/ride reports...so I'm glad I can help pass on the stoke...

To be honest I'd lost some of my fat tire stoke when I moved to the coast and this forum helped me get back on track...I appreciate all the time people put into posting here...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    For sure. And there's allot of ways to approach a "tour" of the OR Dunes. The whole area is only 50 ish miles long. If you were to stick to the beach, and you arranged a boat to take you across the Umpqua, You could just about "knock it out" in a day. Some of the best scenery isn't even visible from the beach or the highway. some points of interest require riding in to areas of open dunes, lakes, tree islands,etc. and back tracking or looping around and sometimes exiting an area where you entered. Lots of un-needed hauling of camping gear & supplies. In some of the areas of larger dunes, It's funnest, and most economical (time & energy wise) to ride w/ no load or a light "day load". Might be cool in a couple strategic places to use Bear Bags for the food and leave the camping gear in a base camp for a few hours to ride loops in & out of interesting areas. Last time I was there, My wife (she doesn't ride... not like that anyway) & I camped the whole time at a centrally located camp ground and I rode three day long loops while she did some "town touring". I covered 70+ miles of dunes and beaches, revisiting a couple really cool spots (and we ate quite good in camp). Barely scratched the surface of "Fat Bike Paradise"! Anyhow, doing loops from base camps allows for a little heavier load headed down the beach. Best time to "chance" good weather down there (although never predictable) is late Summer into Fall. Spring is usually pretty wet (beautiful when the sun comes out though). Anyway, sorry Vik, I'll stop hijacking you're "Pugs Revamp" thread. Riding snow this weekend close to town here on the east slope of the Cascades. Let me know when your coming south, we'll try to get a ride in.
    You are talking about riding Pugsleys so I don't consider it a hijack at all. I figure the OR Dunes will see a number of visits from my fat tires. It takes me 1 day each way to travel there with a ferry ride in the mix to really mess with my schedule... So my initial plan is to simply ride down the beach and back to my car over 2 days. I may haul a packraft to cross the river or detour around it. That will give me a taste of the area and let me test out my bikepacking setup for more ambitious future trips.

I will definitely let you know when I head down...likely I'll start scanning for a 2 day weather window in early Dec and just hit it when it looks good.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You are talking about riding Pugsleys so I don't consider it a hijack at all. I figure the OR Dunes will see a number of visits from my fat tires. It takes me 1 day each way to travel there with a ferry ride in the mix to really mess with my schedule... So my initial plan is to simply ride down the beach and back to my car over 2 days. I may haul a packraft to cross the river or detour around it. That will give me a taste of the area and let me test out my bikepacking setup for more ambitious future trips.

I will definitely let you know when I head down...likely I'll start scanning for a 2 day weather window in early Dec and just hit it when it looks good.
    Right on Vik. I'll be pretty busy skiing w/ Family and riding local snow & desert routes through the winter (my daughters are 20 and 22 and love to ski so it's our main "Family" activity). Planning a spring trip in the Quilomene/Colockum wildlife areas (the "Outback" of WA.) here in central Washington... possibly a Bikepack trip this time (if I can find partner(s)- hint!). I won't be ready for an OR dunes trip 'till May or after. Got my heart set on goin' deep and riding the "Big Sand" as well. But we could certainly cross path's and have a pow-wow down there. Always some kind of ride goin' on down here. your welcome to join us any time!

mtbr member
    Right on Vik. I'll be pretty busy skiing w/ Family and riding local snow & desert routes through the winter (my daughters are 20 and 22 and love to ski so it's our main "Family" activity). Planning a spring trip in the Quilomene/Colockum wildlife areas (the "Outback" of WA.) here in central Washington... possibly a Bikepack trip this time (if I can find partner(s)- hint!). I won't be ready for an OR dunes trip 'till May or after. Got my heart set on goin' deep and riding the "Big Sand" as well. But we could certainly cross path's and have a pow-wow down there. Always some kind of ride goin' on down here. your welcome to join us any time!
    Coordinating trips is hard. My plan is to post a head's up here and on the NW Fat Bike email list. Be ready to ride alone and be stoked if someone else can join in.

One of my buddies is buying a Pug in 2012 and my other friend with a Pug may sell me his since he can't use it [at Uni for engineering for 2-3 more years]...that way I'll have a loaner to get my GF or another friend out.

I'm fine with a base camp style OR Dunes trip as well.

Let's just keep talking and sooner or later a trip will come together...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Very cool
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

100+ wheel-build club
    Doesn't it just feel awesome when a complete restoration is finished?! Well done. PS-Love the furry pink!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny settle View Post
    Doesn't it just feel awesome when a complete restoration is finished?! Well done. PS-Love the furry pink!
    Thanks... Yup it almost makes me motivated to tackle my next bike project.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Excellent!

mtbr member

Took the Pugs on a night MTB ride on local trails where I normally ride my FS Santa Cruz Nomad. The Pugs performed well. I had to absorb the trail features much more with my body than my Nomad. The Scrawny Larrys did pretty well. They provided better traction than my 26" x 2.3" MTB tires on the Nomad, but I did spin out a few times on steep slick climbs. I'll be using Nates down the road for serious MTBing missions, but OTOH no need to ditch the Larrys for the odd trail ride.

Steering was slower than on my Nomad as would be expected, but once you get a handle on it I didn't have any issues getting her down the tight twisty trails.

Avid BB7s were at their limit in this terrain and I'd probably replace them with hydros if I do loads of MTBing with the Pugs. For bikepacking and general sand/snow use they do a fine job.

Alfine 8 32T x 21T was fine, but I could use a lower granny for the super steep techy stuff. Again that setup works fine for bikepacking and general soft stuff use.

Other than one stop to tighten the headset the Pugs was a champ...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I did spin out a few times on steep slick climbs. I'll be using Nates down the road for serious MTBing missions, but OTOH no need to ditch the Larrys for the odd trail ride.

Other than one stop to tighten the headset the Pugs was a champ...
    I've got my rear Larry reversed. Do you think that may help with traction? I've never ran it the other way so I don't know if it does make a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    I've got my rear Larry reversed. Do you think that may help with traction? I've never ran it the other way so I don't know if it does make a difference.
    It's possible it would be better. Hard to say. I could have also dropped my pressure a bit more to gain some traction. They worked great for 90% of the ride so I wasn't motivated to change anything.
    Last edited by vikb; 12-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Looks great, Vik. I'm waiting on my bags from Scott as we speak.

There's something really aesthetically pleasing about the (almost) parallelogram shape of the Pugs frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Looks great, Vik. I'm waiting on my bags from Scott as we speak.

There's something really aesthetically pleasing about the (almost) parallelogram shape of the Pugs frame...
    Thanks...I dig the Pugsley frame even though it's pretty basic. The big main triangle means you can get a useful sized frame bag in there...

If your bags are late you can blame me I keep bugging Scott to go out riding...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Nemophilist
    What a great story;

A love affair, of sorts. Nothing like a long term relationship with a car, or bike, or instrument, or... whatever. I am a firm believer in getting the most you can out of everything you have, as an ultimate extension and fleshing out of not only the object, but yourself as well. There is something very satisfying about that, internally. Far removed from senseless consumerism and item-of-the-moment thinking. Nothing wrong with change now and then, mind you, and experimentation is indeed fun, but applied to an old friend it is much more rewarding. I've had just such a relationship - spanning into its 21st year now - with a certain Porsche. We have become good friends, and there is little that beats the fine patina we have earned together.

Ride on!

mtbr member

A hot cup of tea on a cold frosty morning shared with my favourite fatbike...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Splash guard details please!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Splash guard details please!

Both are the same cheap plastic splash guards a lot of LBS sell. The rear is cut down to fit the ST. I sometimes add zip ties to assist the velcro if needed. These have been in use for the life of my Pugs with no appreciable wear.

In the past I had front and rear OMM Cold Springs racks with platforms that added even more wet weather protection.

I have schemed about different DIY fender options for my Pugs, but it gets used so hard and treated so rough when stored/transported that I have not come up with anything that would have survived long.

This minimal setup has provided sufficient protection for me and my Pugs that I haven't been motivated to spend any more effort on it.

They lack bling, but they work and don't get in my way so that puts a smile on my face.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Very nice paint job. I like so much your beautiful pictures on beach and sand!

Regards from Spain.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome, what's the thing on the top tube for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Looks awesome, what's the thing on the top tube for?
    Covers the cables and zipties attaching them to the TT.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

"Seriously dude! I hope you get some Nates for Christmas. How do you expect to get any traction with these? I mean they're not even the Big Fat Larrys for crying out loud. And those rims weigh more than me and aren't even drilled out with some cool green rim tape to match the frame. I'm embarrassed. The other neighourhood cats are laughing at you. Trixie's owner just got a Moonlander! A Moonlander - I didn't think we'd see them until January! I hear that thing has got so much floatation you can ride on water. Sometimes when I am just dozing off to sleep in the sunshine I lie there imagining what it would be like to get my claws into 4.7" of rubber on a 100mm rim...Meow! That's hot. Wouldn't it be cool if they came out with a Big Fat Nate? Not that it would fit our wimpy Pugsley...**sigh**..."
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feeifif View Post
    r. just to make sure you haven't lost too much material to rust.

just my nickel.
    It looked fine to my eyeballs. So far I've pounded it hard on rocky MTB trails and nothing has folded or exploded. I will continue the torture testing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Geordie biker
    great thread, and with nates it will be like another bike altogether once again.

love the dont bother with it unless it breaks attitude too

keep on enjoying the surly
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Dude, the cat looks seriously bemused. Like, kill you in your sleep bemused.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Dude, the cat looks seriously bemused. Like, kill you in your sleep bemused.
    Hehe, close. I know that face. "Hey. You. *******. My food dish is getting close to empty. If it gets any emptier I might have to trawl the basement doing my mating calls while you're trying to sleep tonight. Food. In the dish. Now."
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Great project man, good to see some one taking something old and puttin the shine back on her.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member

Put my cat on the bargain catfood and got myself some phatty bling!...

Porcelain Rocket baby!..
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

While I am away in Baja kiteboarding my buddy Aaron setup my Pugsley in his bike shop to lure unsuspecting customers into the fatbike world...

You can't sell fat bikes to people without showing them what they are all about so hopefully this display will encourage a few new cult members...

Pugsley LBS Porn… The Lazy Rando Blog…
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Those bags look GREAT! Well done!
    Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast