mtbr member

Lauf Fat fork owners

Every review of the lauf discusses the undamped nature of their design. I understand what that theoretically means (I'm an engineer), but to those who actually ride it, do you actually run experience resonance or parametric oscillation? I also know that theoretically the undamped tire and the undamped leaf spring could light each other off, but in practical application do you experience this issue?

I am riding a fully rigid fat bike, my riding is mostly singletrack with a lattice work of roots all over it, both clay and sand. As my fitness has been improving, I've been challenging myself with longer rides. I like the idea of a little suspension to take away chatter on longer rides, just wondering if it feels bad or how bad is it. I have noticed an occasional tire bob when pedaling a certain speed on smooth surfaces. It is annoying but easily overcome with a slight adjustment in cadence and/or gear. The tire bob never seems to be an issue on singletrack.
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:00 PM.

This place needs an enema
    If you're pushing really, really hard through techy, chunky terrain, yes you notice it.

I still prefer it over rigid.

The faster I want to go, the more I prefer my Mastodon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The Lauf is the greatest fat bike fork ever...... for what it is designed for. It takes the edge off of bumps and is predictable- it's performance does not diminish in very cold weather. The only time I feel any oscillation is when I am riding my fat bike on a smooth, hard surface (bike path) and moving along at a pretty good clip. The piss-poor quality control of most fat bike tires means that the heavy spot can lead to some subtle bouncing, and yes the Lauf accentuates that more than a rigid fork does, but certainly no more than my Bluto or Wren ever did. However, the Lauf, as well as fat tires and bikes, are not really designed for that kind of use. Today I rode a poorly groomed snow trail with lots of wash-outs, and the Lauf never popped up on my radar. No bouncing, no oscillations, just kind of disappeared.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I have been trying to trade my mastadon for a lauf for some time now. No bites. I take that as an affirmation that Lauf owners like them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I had a Lauf Carbonara for a couple of years and sold it. It worked great and felt invisible for most situations. What made me get rid of it was lateral oscillation when turning while riding icy, rutted, and very tight single track.

mtbr member
    That's good feedback everyone. That gives me some good food for thought on my next bike.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I had one for a short while and it went flat. Imho, if the bike leaves the ground with any frequency, don't get a Lauf...

mtbr member
    Lateral movement that noticeable?
    Last edited by Saskrider; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    i had one for a full year of use (Summer and winter) and it did as described, it's light and takes the edge off bumps. It does a great job on post holed snow etc.

Not enough for serious trail riding though.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskrider View Post
    I noticed only on twisty downhills with enough grip to appreciably deflect it.

I suspect underdamping is more problematic with tubeless; I tuned it out resonances by pressure tweaking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskrider View Post
    It was usually when the front tire tracked into an icy rut while turning sharply. The forces associated with that would make the front end bounce a few times. I'm sure it was not all lateral movement but a combination of the springs going through their travel un-damped with some side to side action as well.

mtbr member
    Bah. I need to try one before spending that $$.

I ride very xc so im sure its ok. Would use it to get some plushness back with the 3.8 tires. Reality a bluto is decent weight and would work too, then when i go 4.5 for full winter mode go back to rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....