The Last Hurrah- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Last Hurrah

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

The Last Hurrah

Four days ago on Thursday we had a snow dump. I had a feeling it was the last hurrah for the season so I rode as much as I could in the fluffy stuff.

Thursday
    After work, wife and I just spun around our 'hood and the University of Maryland. No need to drive anywhere since the roads would probably be sketchy crashy.

Snowy Hood Ride by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Snowy Hood Ride by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Friday
    We got off of work early, and made fresh tracks at Rosaryville State Park

Fresh Tracks at Rosaryville by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Fresh Tracks at Rosaryville by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Saturday
    I convinced some of my friends to go to Rosaryville because it was so much fun the day before

Rosaryville Snow Ride by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Sunday
    Overnight on Saturday, it didn't go below freezing, so in my mind there was only one place to ride in the DC area because everything else would be slushy: Gambrill State Park

Last Hurrah for Snow by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Makeshift Snow Ramp by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Makeshift Snow Ramp by bundokbiker, on Flickr

Thanks to my buds who trudged the trails with me. Most of it would not have been rideable (or very fun at least) without the help of 4"+ tires and 6PSI. Hope the rest of you had a good weekend as well!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    looks like a blast! nice shots too

All fat, all the time.
    I'd rep you again but it won't let me Love the snow jumping fatbikes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Glad you had fun in the last MD snow.

Liberal leave/work from home on Thursday, I took a ride in the afternoon through the neighborhood to see how poor of a job my neighbors and city was doing plowing in the midst of the storm. Laid some fresh tracks through some office parks and it was really tough on anything false-flat and steeper. Nate/Marge was not cutting it.

Hit Seneca Creek SP early on Sat before the temp got above freezing. It was a glorified walk in the woods with my bike. There was little to no prior trail use and the 2-3 sets of hiking tracks only made things worse. A fresh 10" on top of 3" from earlier in the week on top of a packed icy base from earlier in the month did me in every chance possible. Took 1:45 to do 4.2 miles. Took some routes that people rarely take in this sequence and ended up with a 2015 KOM. Had a good laugh at that seeing I took over 6x as long as the overall KOM time.

Now on to the rainy/muddy season. Off to Gambrill it is!

Ricky, Vanhelga notable improvement over Nate in the rear for our conditions? And Bud that much better on a 65mm rim? There was lots of cursing on Sat, wishing for the quick fix of fatter rubber for those couple snows a year.
    Last edited by bme107; 03-09-2015 at 07:24 PM.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Glad you had fun in the last MD snow.

Liberal leave/work from home on Thursday, I took a ride in the afternoon through the neighborhood to see how poor of a job my neighbors and city was doing plowing in the midst of the storm. Laid some fresh tracks through some office parks and it was really tough on anything false-flat and steeper. Nate/Marge was not cutting it.

Hit Seneca Creep SP early on Sat before the temp got above freezing. It was a glorified walk in the woods with my bike. There was little to no prior trail use and the 2-3 sets of hiking tracks only made things worse. A fresh 10" on top of 3" from earlier in the week on top of a packed icy base from earlier in the month did me in every chance possible. Took 1:45 to do 4.2 miles. Took some routes that people rarely take in this sequence and ended up with a 2015 KOM. Had a good laugh at that seeing I took over 6x as long as the overall KOM time.

Now on to the rainy/muddy season. Off to Gambrill it is!

Ricky, Vanhelga notable improvement over Nate in the rear for our conditions? And Bud that much better on a 65mm rim? There was lots of cursing on Sat, wishing for the quick fix of fatter rubber for those couple snows a year.
    I was really impressed with how big and blocky the tread blocks were, as well as how crisp and sharp the edges were. I mounted them backwards to maximize scooping power on the snow because I noticed that they are slightly ramped when pointed the other direction. I plan to flip them now that I'm fairly convinced we're done with snow in hopes that it rolls faster. All said, I was climbing snowy inclines better than with the Nate.

As for the Bud in the front, I am really glad I had it, and I think it made a difference compared to the Nate I usually have on in front in the snow. It helped keep my front end floating a little better than the Nate, and I feel like the tread blocks that run primarily along the direction of the tire (instead of crosswise like the Nate) helped lessen sideways washouts. YMMV, but I am happy with this setup for the snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

The Last Hurrah

I think I'm sold on the Bud for the reasons you mention. Earlier in Jan I was thinking SnowshoeXL and adding a few studs since I was encountering packed ice. But washout was more of a problem on more rides than ice was.

My rear Nate is worn but felt I ran out of float before loosing traction. Going to try fitting the Bud on the back, swing the alternators away and check drivetrain. Based on those results may go all in on a Lou.
    Last edited by bme107; 03-09-2015 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    I thought this thread was going to be about some cyclist going into retirement.Boy was I surprised! Excellent thread. I loved all the Pics and the commentary.
    We didn't much snow here in Thr Ozarks, at least where I live. We had abpout a five to seen inch storm but I was not allowed to ride in it because I was recovering from a minor heart attack. The rest of the crew got out in the middle of the storm and had a ball. I know here hat April sometimes can bring back a dose of winter here so I am still hopeful with my Husker du's ready.

PAECE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Bud is quite possibly the answer to any front, fat, tire question.

Everyone else can just pack up and go home, unless they can make a tire better (which no one has to date)...

This thread needs more beard. Oh, wait, no it doesn't

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. We've been in the same mindset, except our rides are at night, so the pics kinda suck!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Drevil, you rock!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Our last hurrah at Cunningham Park, Queens, NY last Saturday. My friends (blue, white bike) was having a blast sessioning this jump so I joined in.

Also, more votes on the Bud. We all have it up front and I'm running it on the back of my Muk, as well. Them guys both have Lou's for the back.

The Last Hurrah-photo-4.jpg
    The Last Hurrah-photo-3.jpg
    The Last Hurrah-photo-2.jpg
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Great air, and addition to the thread!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tnx!

'we're all fatty rookies and will def be the few who'll miss the snow..
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

Rippin da fAt
    Great pix, folks! That looked like a hella good time!

We have not had snow in the Glenwood Springs area in weeks. The For Mile park area was fair condition for a run through the trees "RideGroomed" style. Must say, for that run the Bud/Lou @ 4 psi were performing their best. The Lou on the rear is like a snowmobile track on a bike with loads of floatation and traction.

A friend is using a Bud/VH on his bike and is quite pleased with 'em.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Great pix, folks! That looked like a hella good time!

We have not had snow in the Glenwood Springs area in weeks. The For Mile park area was fair condition for a run through the trees "RideGroomed" style. Must say, for that run the Bud/Lou @ 4 psi were performing their best. The Lou on the rear is like a snowmobile track on a bike with loads of floatation and traction.

A friend is using a Bud/VH on his bike and is quite pleased with 'em.
    I believe the Lou is more squared at the shoulders. Do you think that it might have less clearance on the same frame, or about the same?

Before I took my Bud off the front wheel (65mm Nextie rim), I placed it in the rear of my frame and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it fit if I moved the sliding dropouts backwards just a little bit. When the snow comes back around, I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna get a 5"er for the rear also since it did seem to make a noticeable difference on the front (compared to 4" tires), and I expect the same for the rear.

mtbr member
    We had some snow.

After struggling through it I had a greater appreciation of what all those doomed Antarctic explorers must have gone through. I now feel quite heroic...

Summer's on the way. Shorts and T-shirt season is almost here.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Whew! That must have been traumatic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    We had some snow.

After struggling through it I had a greater appreciation of what all those doomed Antarctic explorers must have gone through. I now feel quite heroic...

lol
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Rippin da fAt
    Velo, you got gypped!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    We had some snow.

Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Drevil,

With 65 mm rims, you will prolly be good to go! narrower rims tend to narrow the tire profile. check your clearance with the 4" tire. If it has more than 1/2" you will wanna see if the LBS will let your bike use the fitting room to try it on. Scotty at Twenty2 has a Bully with a 190/4" tire rear end on his bike and was having a very slight tire rub with a Lou on a Clown Shoe. I removed his rear wheel an stuck my Rolling Darryl in and it cleared respectably.
    the narrower the rim, the narrower the tire, But it may increase the diameter of the tire
    The crown of the tire will be more rounded as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I believe the Lou is more squared at the shoulders. Do you think that it might have less clearance on the same frame, or about the same?

Before I took my Bud off the front wheel (65mm Nextie rim), I placed it in the rear of my frame and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it fit if I moved the sliding dropouts backwards just a little bit. When the snow comes back around, I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna get a 5"er for the rear also since it did seem to make a noticeable difference on the front (compared to 4" tires), and I expect the same for the rear.
    Doctor recommended...