Largest volume 5" tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Largest volume 5" tire

Hi All,

Now that Interbike is over and all the new tires are out, which one has the biggest volume? I was hoping for a 5.5" or 6" tire to come out this year to add more float for deep snow and my clyde-ness. I am getting my 5 year old Vicious custom steel frame's rear end widened to 197mm and I want to put the biggest rear tire on it. To me it still looks like the Lou has the biggest volume and largest knobs out there. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Nolan

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    Hi All,

Now that Interbike is over and all the new tires are out, which one has the biggest volume? I was hoping for a 5.5" or 6" tire to come out this year to add more float for deep snow and my clyde-ness. I am getting my 5 year old Vicious custom steel frame's rear end widened to 197mm and I want to put the biggest rear tire on it. To me it still looks like the Lou has the biggest volume and largest knobs out there. Am I wrong?

-Nolan
    You are not wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mount rollers to the chainstays to compress the sidewall to get it past the chain. Call it the muffin bottom.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    Hi All,

-Nolan
    naaaaaa no 5.5 or 6" and frankly human power will play hell with such offerings. Very little to be gained anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Lou is still king, but it is a little odd that someone hasn't tried for at least a true 5.0+ tire yet.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Lou is still king, but it is a little odd that someone hasn't tried for at least a true 5.0+ tire yet.
    Vee Snowshoe XL Superlight prototype (1340g) on our 103mm rims. At 30psi tubeless. ( 4.75'' at 4psi vs. 4.58'' for Lou at the same pressure):

They are 260mm bead to bead like Bud/Lou. Actually measured Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8 to approx 264mm bead to bead, they came in at 4.85'' at 30psi and 4.65'' at 4psi (with tubes)

The reason no one has gone bigger yet is that production variances on frames, rims, tires, etc will mean that some bikes will have chain rub in the lowest gear even with a 190mm rear spacing and proper chainline for the crank. 190mm really isn't quite wide enough, should have been bumped to 200mm, but then Q-factor becomes a major issue.

We shelved the plans for a 110mm rim that we were planning with a major rim manufacturer for the above reason.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Vee Snowshoe XL Superlight prototype (1340g) on our 103mm rims. At 30psi tubeless.
    Reading between the lines, the casing isn't bigger, it's just thinner and by running it tubeless at high pressures you're stretching it heaps. Yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    some bikes will have chain rub in the lowest gear even with a 190mm rear spacing and proper chainline for the crank. 190mm really isn't quite wide enough, should have been bumped to 200mm, but then Q-factor becomes a major issue.
    Going to 200 won't change q-factor, it'll merely bring the chainline with current cranks closer to where it should have been to begin with.

mtbr member

Largest volume 5" tire

Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    Mount rollers to the chainstays to compress the sidewall to get it past the chain. Call it the muffin bottom.
    You got something there, gecho, you could power something with those rollers while you're at it

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Reading between the lines, the casing isn't bigger, it's just thinner and by running it tubeless at high pressures you're stretching it heaps. Yeah?

Going to 200 won't change q-factor, it'll merely bring the chainline with current cranks closer to where it should have been to begin with.
    Absolutely right about the q-factor. I wasn't thinking there.

Tire stretch:
    The XL stays fairly constant with 4.75'' at 4psi and 5.01'' at 30psi, vs the Lou with 4.58'' at 4psi and 4.98'' at 30psi.
    Lou has slacker beads, so they tend to migrate further up on the rimwalls, expanding casing width at high pressures.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Snowshoe XL on 103mm rims vs. Vee Speedster on 80mm rims. Both tubeless.
    The Speedster measures 4.0'' casing width.
    4.0'' feels scrawny these days

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks everyone! Looks like a Lou is in my future, although the Snowshoe XL does look quite nice, wish the knobs were as high as the Lou. I need a good meaty rear to break trail after it snows.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Vee Bulldozers might just be the ticket then.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com