L to XL fit question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

L to XL fit question

Hey forum,
    Wonder if you could help me out. I am currently riding a large alum 2015 Mukluk. I found a great deal on a new 2018 carbon Beargrease frame that I could swap
    over existing parts, but it is an XL. No dealers near me, so I can’t try out the fit. Do you think an XL Beargrease would be too big? I’m 6’1” with a 32” inseam. My Mukluk seatpost is out about 9.5” and I run a 100mm Thomson Stem. If I went with a shorter stem, do you think I’d be ok? Frame geometry differences for the XL beargrease are as follows:
    15mm longer toptube
    50mm longer seat tube
    3mm more bb drop
    20mm longer headtube
    Shorter wheelbase with beargrease
    10mm longer reach
    32mm higher stand over.

I appreciate the input!

Cheers

mtbr member
    At 6’1” (same height as me *fist bump*), I would say it will work if you’re a stocky / bigger build 6’1”. If your a skinny / buck’o’5 when wet kind of guy, I would say no. XLs definitely will be a little heavier and harder to throw around and/or ride aggressively. I guess with that is it depends on your riding style as well.

My trail bike is an XL, my fat bike is a large.
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Would you lose money if you bought it and it didn't fit?

Can you handle over an inch of more standover?

Is the hub spacing on the two bikes the same?
    Last edited by Jaker; 03-15-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spacing

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the replies so far. I’m sure not a small 6’1” guy at 215lbs ;-) ... everything is pretty much a direct swap over. Spacing on the wheel set is the same. I’d need to buy a shorter stem, BB and headset. I probably wouldn’t lose much money if it wasn’t a good fit, not sure if I should hold out for a large. Tough decisions. Lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    As a 5' 11" guy who rides size Large bikes, I'd say if you dump the 100mm stem from the 90's and get something 50mm or shorter you'll be fine.

Out of the dimensions you gave, the stand over will be the most immediately noticeable. So straddle your current bike and think about whether you'd notice the 32mm. Even at my height, unless the stack was ridiculously high or the seat tube wouldn't allow the dropper length I wanted, I believe I could make *some* XL's work for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not exactly the same comparison, but I searched for the right sized pugsley for a bit. 4 different frames went through my stable. I couldn't decide between L or XL and I'm 6' even. I actually prefer the XL, but finally ended up liking my L with an uncut steerer tube to match the stack of the XL.I had NO clearance on the tt of the XL, so in that regards happier with the L.

If you Can ride it stock for a bit to test it out, that might help you make a solid decision

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    My Mukluk seatpost is out about 9.5” and I run a 100mm Thomson Stem. Frame geometry differences for the XL beargrease are as follows:
    15mm longer toptube
    Average for L-XL
    50mm longer seat tube
    Quite a lot but then again 9.5" of seatpost is probably putting you over the back wheel
    3mm more bb drop
    Surprising how this sort of thing affects riding over steps and in ruts
    20mm longer headtube
    Quite noticeable - you may need to lower the stem
    Shorter wheelbase with beargrease
    How much?
    10mm longer reach
    Probably the most significant difference. If you move your saddle forward you will be in the same position but more centred over the bike. For me (6'2" 34"IL) this works better than a lot of seatpost.
    32mm higher stand over.
    Hmm personal preference really. How often do you stand astride your bike

Personally, I'm on the L/XL border. XL MTBs are generally more stable and climb better because I'm more centered. On descents the stability means I feel like a passenger at times. L MTBs feel more nimble and are more responsive to my inputs (good or bad).

The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that size L XC bikes are generally too small and slack XL bikes are too big. In between everything feels different but not wrong.

HTH and good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Your legs would be fine on a med my opinion is avoid anything more than L.
    I am the opposite crazy long legs with short torso.
    no fit = no deal.

Human Test Subject
    Riding a packed line and stepping off into deep powder could end poorly for little cdn11 and the boys, but other than that you should be fine. How often does that happen anyway?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    As a 5' 11" guy who rides size Large bikes, I'd say if you dump the 100mm stem from the 90's and get something 50mm or shorter you'll be fine.
    This. No need to downsize on modern frames if you are in between. It'd no longer the 90s.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I dunno, I don't have enough experience with different frames in crossover and mountain bikes.

In road bikes with more standard 'diamond' frames, I always had 52-53cm frames. On the charts, the manufacturers usually suggest I get the L or XL fat bike model ... but when I ride them, they feel awkward and too big for me. On my Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon fat bike, I've gone with the M frame and been very comfortable and happy with the handling. I'm six foot tall, 29-30" inseam, around 240 lbs (at present... ).

What I did when I was buying it, since no dealer around here had one in stock, was test ride whatever other model in their line up with the fattest tires available that had geometry similar to what the fat bike I wanted had. There's usually one or two that are pretty close. It worked out to be a decent simulation, and convinced me that the L frame was larger than I wanted.

good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How much seatpost is sticking out of your 52 road frame? At 6' the smallest road frame I'd put you on is a 56. At my height I don't think I could feel comfortable on a 52.

mtbr member since 1996
    XL, definitely. A 100mm stem is VERY long today. Get the XL, put a 50-70mm stem (long by modern standards that are often 35-50).

With a shorter stem your hands will be closer to the steering axis and it feels more neutral. It also puts your weight over the center of the bike (heavy feet light hands) for great control and low endo factor.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    How much seatpost is sticking out of your 52 road frame? At 6' the smallest road frame I'd put you on is a 56. At my height I don't think I could feel comfortable on a 52.
    My 52cm Cinelli Criterium racer's seat post was fitted to just about the middle of its adjustment range when properly configured, and I only had an inch and a half of stand over room when I stood astride the top tube. That's as tight as I'm comfortable with.

If you're 5'11" and a 52cm road frame feels cramped for your legs, your body proportions are very different from mine. As I said, I'm a short inseam/long torso shape—basic Italian gorilla ancestry. My partner is 8" shorter to the top of his head than I am, but his inseam is only about an inch shorter. A 52cm road frame is the largest I fit on properly.
    Last edited by ramarren; 04-27-2019 at 05:55 AM.