Kuroshiro 105mm fat bike rim- Mtbr.com
    Anchorage, AK

Kuroshiro 105mm fat bike rim

I am interested in the Kuroshiro rim and have been considering ordering one for the rear of my bike. According to the manufacturer "we just certificated then for 220.... and there is still room for spare"

I'd be interested in using it on the Iditarod this winter, but with my bike and my expedition gear the total weight will be about 250. When I told them that their response was "mmm... never tested with this [w]eight for a long time. I think that simply adding a set of washers with small o-ring as HED is doing you are pretty safe also on 25o lbs."

Before I called them up, I thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience with Kuroshiro rims and what they thought of them. I'd also be interested in anyone's thoughts on the washers as a strengthening addition.

Kuroshiro 105mm fat bike rim-kuro.jpg
    --Peace

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    It looks like with the spoke hole channels you wouldn't be able to get away with a very large washer.

My opinion with gaskets is that large surface area gaskets are better, if you're trying to have the washer be both a load-bearing and an air-sealing component in one.

Those two things - the narrow channel and the desire for a lightweight tubeless seal - seem at odds with each other here? Am I making a mountain out of an ant hill if the tiny HED gaskets indeed work?

From a carbon molder's perspective it is a very impressive structure.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

This place needs an enema
    I just got set up as a Kuroshiro dealer, and will be lacing a set of these for myself within a few weeks.

Their comment about washers tells me that their main concern is spoke/nip pull through. I'd be more inclined to run slightly lower than spec tension, but to also make sure that the tension balance is bleeping perfect.

Just random bleatings for now. Will have more to say once I lace a few sets.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I just got set up as a Kuroshiro dealer, and will be lacing a set of these for myself within a few weeks.

Their comment about washers tells me that their main concern is spoke/nip pull through. I'd be more inclined to run slightly lower than spec tension, but to also make sure that the tension balance is bleeping perfect.

Just random bleatings for now. Will have more to say once I lace a few sets.
    Thanks, Mike. I'd be very interested in what you learn.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    interesting! the folded over rim edge (to avoid splintering from impact) looks like it might have some potential. from reading the blurb, the nipple seat in the rim is designed to seal effectively with no tape? so would a washer interfere with that? i guess if its maybe those suprt thin/deformable sapim ones, maybe not? i will be following this with interest....

First one built. Unexciting. Easy tension balance. Stupid light, really wide.

Will check back in once it's tubeless with the Vee 2XL.

Edit: 530g/rim. 871g complete front wheel with a DT 350 150mm hub. That includes 32 blobs of shoe goo over the nip heads for that inevitable day that I tear a casing and need to run a tube to get...

...somewhere.
    Last edited by mikesee; 10-28-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Anchorage, AK
    Thank you for the update, Mike. That is good news!
    --Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Thank you for the update, Mike. That is good news!
    I wasn't able to simply pump it up with a floor pump. Had to install a tube and inflate it to ~15 psi to get both beads to seat, then removed one bead, removed the tube, added a valve, slipped the bead back over, and it all went up with a floor pump. Bumped it to 15psi this AM and the casing is now at 132mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    interested in these for my next wheelset mike. would you be so kind to p.m. me a price of the wheelset you just built(150f/197r).

BTW I still have the original 29er edge wheelset still going strong from you...

thx.

Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    interested in these for my next wheelset mike. would you be so kind to p.m. me a price of the wheelset you just built(150f/197r).

BTW I still have the original 29er edge wheelset still going strong from you...

thx.
    I don't do PM's but if you hit me with an E I'll give you all the info you're after: mike dot curiak at gmail dot com

Thanks,

MC

Just circling back to this to share a long-term review on these rims:

Big Wheel Building: Kuroshiro 6105 rims, long-term review.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great thanks!