KUAT NV Fat Bike Strap Extenders...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

KUAT NV Fat Bike Strap Extenders...

Hey guys...any of you running the Kuat NV Strap extenders for your fatty?
    I just got mine from Kuat and I'm really disappointed. I think this is a very poor design for letting us use the Kuat. There seems to be places where if you really tighten the strap down, it will break due to the extra buckle/receiver that the original strap goes into to get the extension.

For $520 for this rack, I would have hoped that they would have come up with a better solution. I'm really tempted to bypass the extender and get something else like the Surly Junk Strap or something similar. I'm curious of anyone else's results with the extender strap.

Thx

Mark

mtbr member
    Looked at them at Interbike, and wasn't impressed. For the awesomeness of their racks, it was a let down. It's not even something you can leave on the rack. If I'm going to have to deal with something I can't simply leave attached, I'll just continue to use a bungee cord, save the $15 and spend it on beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've used the extenders on my 4-place rack for over a year now with no issues. There's just a button head screw on them I make sure does not contact the wheel rim and sits low enough to rest against the tire.
    They work just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKong View Post
    Looked at them at Interbike, and wasn't impressed. For the awesomeness of their racks, it was a let down. It's not even something you can leave on the rack. If I'm going to have to deal with something I can't simply leave attached, I'll just continue to use a bungee cord, save the $15 and spend it on beer.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on an NV 2 and that's my plan.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Got a Kuat NV last year, with the extension straps. So far, no problems at all. Yeah, the extension strap seems a little weird but it works just fine.

I like that it's easy to remove and toss in the glove box, but I'd also say that I left it attached most of last spring and no one ever stole it. Seriously, no one wants to steal your straps off your dirty rack.

Relax, your bike will be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I got an extender and was bummed too. Bungee or something similar would be just as good and cheaper.

mtbr member
    One thought- Have any of you who didn't like the strap actually told Kuat that you didn't like the strap? They are a really, really responsive company. Or, at least, they were to me when I had an issue with one of their products in the past.

So contact them, tell them what you don't like, make suggestions on how it could be better.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I posted an amazon review, that may or may not help.

mtbr member
    Call/email them directly- again, really, really responsive.

I'm not calling 'cause it doesn't bother me, but you can.

mtbr member
    I'm not calling either because my bungee cord works perfectly

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a 4 bike Kuat NV and was at first super impressed with it, but after a year of use I think I might have been better off with something else. There are design issues, particularly if you intend to use it with varying combinations of regular bikes, fat bikes and kids bikes. A summary of my issues after 1 year of real world use:

1) I cannot put 4 full suspension mountain bikes on this rack without loosening the stems and turning the bars 90 degrees. The trays are too close together and do not offset/stagger enough so the bars of the bikes in the 1st/3rd positions and the 2nd/4th positions interfere with each other. In addition, the saddles of the bikes in the next direct position often interfere with the bars as well. Dropper posts help with the second issue, otherwise we often have to remove a saddle or two. PITA.

2) fat bikes - the wheel scoops for the front don't handle the fat tires well. I supplemented the wheel boom with Surly junk straps on the front. I use the strap extenders on the back and the are okay. I broke one wheel scoop off the mast last winter, as it uses a nylon component where it mates with the main alloy mast. Kuat replaced it quickly under warranty. They are very good in that regard. One of the rear wheel ratchet straps broke recently too, I have to make a claim for that.

3) I find the front wheel booms rub on some suspension forks, particularly Fox 36 and Rock Shox Pike. I used the soft side of industrial Velcro on the rack boom to prevent wear issues on my fork lowers and on the rack boom.

4). The lock cables are too short and virtually useless for locking four bikes. They need to be longer. I've also had the lock cores corrode and seize due to road spray, despite lubricating them with graphite lube. Kuat already had to replace one cable lock for me but I will say they were super good about it. I have another one that has developed seizing issues and will likely need it replaced as well.

5) The front wheel boom needs an adaptor to handle kids bikes with 24" or smaller wheels. It's a bolt on unit, not really a quick on/off affair. I end up having to constantly put them on or take them off depending on my ride companions. PITA.

Overall, this was a very pricey rack given I bought the two bike NV, two bike extender, 4 wheel straps extenders and 3 extra kids wheel adaptors. There are definitely some design issues that need to be addressed.