Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Bottom bracket height has increased by 17mm or .669 inches. That's a real plus. Wheel base has increased slightly 4mm.
    Both these changes are likely the result of the wheel size and fork changes rather than frame geo changing.

Also 2019 colors are the 2017 color way reversed. So will next year be charcoal with cyan decals?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

First major test

Marji Gesick race trim

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0399.jpg

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Also 2019 colors are the 2017 color way reversed. So will next year be charcoal with cyan decals?
    Now that could be sharp.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any suggestions for a cassette 11-42 for a 2017 Wozo.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Any suggestions for a cassette 11-42 for a 2017 Wozo.
    i broke (2) sunrace spiders, so i suggest not getting them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Thanks, they were on the short list. I'll steer clear.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    I'm still using the SLX 11-46t that went onto my '18 Wozo frame build-up just about a year ago. I also have the 11-42t on another bike. No issues with either cassette.

mtbr member
    Which model(s)? I have a couple 11-46T and a 11-50T (all CXM8 or 80) and no issues.

aka bOb
    I am not recommending to use Sunrace or not, no clue but there are some people that are just beasts that have a tendency to destroy way more than most. What you destroy normal folks might never have an issue with. Heck I ride hard and I know I am running or have run stuff you sir have destroyed

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the mx series 11-42 on my fuel and it is over 1000 miles still shifts okay and no bent spiders. I am 230# and have toasted three hubs in that same time. So it has worked okay for me....I think I may try the 11-46 on my wozo - currently running 28x11-36. Ok for summer, but will need more for winter....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

WOZO Love

Well - I toasted another hub on my fuel and went a few weeks on the Wozo (set up B-Fat style) - and was really starting to get in the groove and understand how to ride this beast - and also finally dialed in my b-fat pressures (9 front, 10.5 rear - 230# rider)...

Just rebuilt my fuel wheel and after two rides I am missing the Wozo - going to get it back out tonight - maybe my primary steed has changed?....

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7153.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7170.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7256.jpg  

aka bOb
    After sending my shock and fork in for service on my fully I spent about 2 weeks riding my Wozo pretty much strictly jump line riding and it was an absolute hoot, had a very hard time going back to my fully.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    ... some people that are just beasts that have a tendency to destroy way more than most. What you destroy normal folks might never have an issue with.
    i am far from a beast, @ 5'8" 200lbs. the sunrace spider to pin junction failed on two different cassettes. first one i considered a fluke. after the second one failed, literally the same way, i considered it a design issue.

Round 1:

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Round 2:

Heck I ride hard and I know I am running or have run stuff you sir have destroyed
    aww.... i take that as a compliment

*edited* and split into two posts because mtbr will not let me have two vids in the same post... :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    After sending my shock and fork in for service on my fully I spent about 2 weeks riding my Wozo pretty much strictly jump line riding and it was an absolute hoot, had a very hard time going back to my fully.
    Sylvan Hill, right? I think I met you there last fall. This is very interesting to me as I have an Ibis Mojo HD3 (you had one, or still have one?) and I'm thinking about selling my Norco Sasquatch and getting a 2018 Wozo.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Sylvan Hill, right? I think I met you there last fall. This is very interesting to me as I have an Ibis Mojo HD3 (you had one, or still have one?) and I'm thinking about selling my Norco Sasquatch and getting a 2018 Wozo.
    Yup that's me, I love my Wozo and still have the HD3. Actually prefer jumping with the Wozo but it's harder on my body. If you are ever around again and want to try the Wozo just let me know (size medium)
    A little Sylvan Wozo action https://youtu.be/IOHEOjSz4Pw

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yup that's me, I love my Wozo and still have the HD3. Actually prefer jumping with the Wozo but it's harder on my body. If you are ever around again and want to try the Wozo just let me know (size medium)
    A little Sylvan Wozo action https://youtu.be/IOHEOjSz4Pw
    Cool video, I love that trail! I did a quick ride there last Friday morning and the jumps were in great shape. Thanks for your work there!

I'm up in Houghton and the Kona dealer has a 2018 medium in stock. The plan is to pick it up after work today. Trying to decide if I should just take the Wozo to Copper Harbor tomorrow afternoon, or if I'd miss the Mojo.

aka bOb
    Cool video, I love that trail! I did a quick ride there last Friday morning and the jumps were in great shape. Thanks for your work there!

I'm up in Houghton and the Kona dealer has a 2018 medium in stock. The plan is to pick it up after work today. Trying to decide if I should just take the Wozo to Copper Harbor tomorrow afternoon, or if I'd miss the Mojo.
    I would miss my Mojo if I went to Copper, that being said take both Oh and your welcome I really love the place!! I remember you now green HD3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would miss my Mojo if I went to Copper, that being said take both Oh and your welcome I really love the place!! I remember you now green HD3.
    Good call, probably should just take both bikes tomorrow. Pretty excited to get the wozo on some more interesting trails. Definitely noticed the shorter rear end right away. Pretty easy to pull the front wheel up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any ideas of how much a lbs should charge to change a 2017 100mm Bluto RL to a 120mm? Haven't done a shock before, and really don't want to screw it up. Watched it on being done many times on video, and a man's got to know his limitations - at least for patience.

I want to use my 27.5s on the front and rear and keep the geometry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone running a SRAM XO crank with Wheels MFG GXP BB?

How did you space out the NDS cup? I had to add 5mm spacers on one side to pull the crank into alignment, and even then when I backpedal, the chain will drop down one gear from the 42t.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Here's the state of my Wozo - this spring has mostly seen time on the B-lowfat wheels (Cake Eaters on Kore Realm P45 rims):

Attachment 1198201

This morning's ride was creak free.
    How's the Jones Loop bar working out for you? I've read somewhere that it doesn't go well with front suspension.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Still liking the Jones bars on the Wozo - I'd used them for a number of years on a Jones frame before I got the Wozo so knew what I was getting into. Most people seem to like the Jones bars on fireroads/gravel, etc but not everyone likes them on technical singletrack. I ride the same trails on my Wozo as I do on my FS trail bike with a regular low rise bar. The Jones puts you in a bit more relaxed position - you can still "attack" the trail but the standard bar feels more aggressive.

Running a longer stem (I'm using a 70mm) puts your hands in a similar place as they would be with a ~35mm stem and a standard bar.

For me the Jones bar differentiates the Wozo a bit more from my FS bike and the extra hand positions are great for longer rides, bikepacking, etc (which the Wozo is well suited to with a 29+ wheelset).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Installed the 27s x 3.8 FBR on the rear of the Wozo, and left the 4.8 x 26 Jumbo Jims on the front. They were close to an inch higher than the 3.8 x 27 FBFs, and it looked like the BB was about 3/8" higher. Rode better, and had no pedal strikes. I could tell the difference in the low gear going up the steeper grades (26 x 42), and I liked that better also.

Bluto will be extended to 120mm this coming week. Thinking that I'll keep the bike this way instead of going to 27 x 3.8 FBF.

Am also looking at another 2019 Wozo to be bought next summer for the Duluth Bike. I'm thinking that I'd like to stay with the 80mm Mulefuts instead of the 65mms, if I pick up the 2019.

Note to self: Wet Maple leaves the size of Basketballs are laying in wait in sharp corners.

strider
    Nov 2010
    For your WOZO revelry:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd like to join the WOZO party. I am searching for a Medium frame, or possible complete bike if anyone is looking to unload one.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Iím looking too.

The complete build Wozo seems to me to be a horrible deal. I am looking for a winter only bike. I just bought a steel Honzo and have a 2018 29er Sight in the quiver for 3 season duty.

If I am going for a complete build, I can get a Norco Sasquatch 1 with an Eagle drivetrain and a dropper for $400 less. I appreciate itís a different animal, but still.

Long time Kona fan. I currently have 6 in my garage. But as a general comment, I find almost all Kona complete builds these days to be a horrible deal. Plus their component spec is generally pretty shitty, even for their higher end builds.

But that geo...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Iím looking too.

The complete build Wozo seems to me to be a horrible deal. I am looking for a winter only bike. I just bought a steel Honzo and have a 2018 29er Sight in the quiver. If I am going for a complete build, I can get a Norco Sasquatch 1 with an Eagle drivetrain and a dropper for $400 less. I appreciate itís a different animal - 26 inch wheels and a different geo but still.

Long time Kona fan. I currently have 6 in my garage. But as a general comment, I find almost all Kona complete builds these days to be a horrible deal. Plus their component spec is generally pretty shitty, even for their higher end builds.
    If you already have a Honzo, just buy the Sasquatch and save some money. The Sasquatch is a great winter fat bike. I rode a Sasquatch the last two winters on groomed snow singletrack and loved it. I just sold it and bought a Wozo because I wanted more nimble geometry (shorter chainstays and narrower cranks) and a longer fork for summer time use with a 29" wheelset. I feel like the geometry differences between the Wozo and Sasquatch are fairly insignificant for snow riding, but it depends on what your local winter riding looks like.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    If you already have a Honzo, just buy the Sasquatch and save some money. The Sasquatch is a great winter fat bike. I rode a Sasquatch the last two winters on groomed snow singletrack and loved it. I just sold it and bought a Wozo because I wanted more nimble geometry (shorter chainstays) and a longer fork for summer time use with a 29" wheelset. I feel like the geometry differences between the Wozo and Sasquatch are fairly insignificant for groomed snow riding. It depends on what your local winter riding looks like.
    Calgary Alberta Canada. Western Canadian Rockies. Foothills mostly. At lower elevations, we experience frequent freeze-thaw cycles.

I have never owned a fat bike but I have been riding seriously for 25 years (including winter commuting).

I am advised by the locals that studded tires are a 100% must (the 4.0 27.5 Dillingers), as is a dropper. Most say a suspension fork is a no brainer as well for the terrain.

I am lusting after that Wozo bad. BAD. I probably should have bought it instead of my Honzo and used the non studded tires for 3 season duty. I just canít get my head around the cost for the component spec. Bang for the buck seems shitty AF.

Itís a very tough call but I need to do something here before there is no inventory left. One thing I have learned... Never once have I ever thought about the extra money I spent to get what I wanted. On the other hand, a heavier but cheaper wheelset (for example) seems to be front of mind every ride. One hard shot to the nuts is much easier to take (and soon forgotten) than continual repeated blows. I should probably just suck it up, throw down on the Wozo, make whatever mods I want, and enjoy. Life is short.

aka bOb
    There are a few posted for sale on Pink Bike, not sure what everyone is looking for but....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Calgary Alberta Canada. Western Canadian Rockies. Foothills mostly. At lower elevations, we experience frequent freeze-thaw cycles.

I have never owned a fat bike but I have been riding seriously for 25 years (including winter commuting).

I am advised by the locals that studded tires are a 100% must (the 4.0 27.5 Dillingers), as is a dropper. Most say a suspension fork is a no brainer as well for the terrain.

I am lusting after that Wozo bad. BAD. I probably should have bought it instead of my Honzo and used the non studded tires for 3 season duty. I just canít get my head around the cost for the component spec. Bang for the buck seems shitty AF.

Itís a very tough call but I need to do something here before there is no inventory left. One thing I have learned... Never once have I ever thought about the extra money I spent to get what I wanted. On the other hand, a heavier but cheaper wheelset (for example) seems to be front of mind every ride. One hard shot to the nuts is much easier to take (and soon forgotten) than continual repeated blows. I should probably just suck it up, throw down on the Wozo, make whatever mods I want, and enjoy. Life is short.
    It sounds like the Wozo might be the better choice for your winter riding if others are recommending studded 4.0 tires and a suspension fork. Maybe it makes sense for the Wozo to replace your Honzo. The Mastadon is a really solid fork.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The Sasquatch comes with a 100mm Mastodon.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...-1-suspension/

The 4.0s were only recommended because they will fit the rim on the Honzo. Otherwise everyone goes bigger. But whatever size tire, there is 100% agreement - studded tires are mandatory. Most of the serious riders I know are running studded Wrathchilds or Dillingers.

I canít sell my Honzo. I donít even have it from the LBS yet. After buying it, it has been undergoing major surgery and I am still awaiting arrival of the fork.

Head says Sasquatch. Heart says Wozo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The US pricing shows $2499 for the Wozo and $2599 for the Sasquatch. The Sasquatch has a Pro fork, dropper post, and Eagle drivetrain, otherwise the specs are pretty similar. The pricing must be different in Canada?

I wonder how the Terrene 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eaters or Bontrager 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhals will fit on the back of the Wozo? Both are studdable.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Has anybody run a Dunderbeist (26x4.6) on a Mulefut 80mm on the rear of their Wozo?

I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming. The Dunder and Flow Biests are the recommended tires here by the local shops and riders, but I am a bit concerned with chainstay clearance. I run the drop-outs in full extension mode in the winter for better wheel-base/handling so I am not worried about fore-aft clearance, just the width.
    Thanks, R-

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Has anybody run a Dunderbeist (26x4.6) on a Mulefut 80mm on the rear of their Wozo?

I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming. The Dunder and Flow Biests are the recommended tires here by the local shops and riders, but I am a bit concerned with chainstay clearance. I run the drop-outs in full extension mode in the winter for better wheel-base/handling so I am not worried about fore-aft clearance, just the width.
    Thanks, R-
    Dunderbeist is fine on the 80 mulefuts if you don't need to run the shortest chainstay possible. I had to slide the dropouts back about 5mm from the shortest position to clear the chainstay yoke on mine, further back would get you even more clearance.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The US pricing shows $2499 for the Wozo and $2599 for the Sasquatch. The Sasquatch has a Pro fork, dropper post, and Eagle drivetrain, otherwise the specs are pretty similar. The pricing must be different in Canada?

I wonder how the Terrene 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eaters or Bontrager 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhals will fit on the back of the Wozo? Both are studdable.
    My pricing is not MSRP. For whatever reason, the discount is significantly greater percentage wise on the Norco than the Kona.

Agreed on your summary of the component comparison.

In Canada they have the identical MSRP. Not sure why, given what appears to be a pretty significant difference in component spec. The Wo component spec is off the charts cray. 10 speed? Seriously? Did they cobble this together from the parts bin?

aka bOb
    I run Wrathchilds on mine on 90's, like other reports I need to slide them back a ways. 80's would be a better choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-23732549_2135603249798516_971897404_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming
    Surly Edna 4.3 was a great all-around (snow and dirt) rear when I was running 26s on the Wozo. It measured around 110mm wide on 80mm rims after some use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Wozo Community, I've got a couple of questions:

1. What are folks running for rigid forks these days? I'm looking at the MRP or the RSD most closely at the moment as they are 490 a-c vs all the QBP brands which are a little shorter. The Norco rigid is 511 a-c, but they won't sell me one without the rest of the bike. I have also talked to Waltworks about a custom fork, that is on the table too.

2. Has anyone tried the cake eater 27.5 x 4.5? I read a review that showed it measures much larger than the 27.5 x 4.5 barbs/gnars. Looked like it may not fit diametrically even in the most rearward position (785mm dia).

Thanks!
    Gus

mtbr member
    How long of a fork is Walt willing to build? I'm currently building up a Wozo frame myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I talked to him about 507mm, based on a sagged 120 non-extended Mastadon. Walt has built 36ers in the past, so, without putting words in his mouth, I think any reasonable length would be no problem for him. I already own a 29er frame and fork from him - the only thing stopping me from doing another custom fork is that I don't think I'll have this frame forever... I feel a custom fatty is in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    How long of a fork is Walt willing to build? I'm currently building up a Wozo frame myself.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789