Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 801 to 876 of 876
  1. #801
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david.p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Bottom bracket height has increased by 17mm or .669 inches. That's a real plus. Wheel base has increased slightly 4mm.
    Both these changes are likely the result of the wheel size and fork changes rather than frame geo changing.

    Also 2019 colors are the 2017 color way reversed. So will next year be charcoal with cyan decals?

  2. #802
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21

    First major test

    Marji Gesick race trim

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0399.jpg

  3. #803
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,567
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Also 2019 colors are the 2017 color way reversed. So will next year be charcoal with cyan decals?
    Now that could be sharp.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  4. #804
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    607
    Any suggestions for a cassette 11-42 for a 2017 Wozo.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

  5. #805
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Any suggestions for a cassette 11-42 for a 2017 Wozo.
    i broke (2) sunrace spiders, so i suggest not getting them.

  6. #806
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i broke (2) sunrace spiders, so i suggest not getting them.
    Thanks, they were on the short list. I'll steer clear.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

  7. #807
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david.p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    231
    I'm still using the SLX 11-46t that went onto my '18 Wozo frame build-up just about a year ago. I also have the 11-42t on another bike. No issues with either cassette.

  8. #808
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i broke (2) sunrace spiders, so i suggest not getting them.
    Which model(s)? I have a couple 11-46T and a 11-50T (all CXM8 or 80) and no issues.

  9. #809
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i broke (2) sunrace spiders, so i suggest not getting them.
    I am not recommending to use Sunrace or not, no clue but there are some people that are just beasts that have a tendency to destroy way more than most. What you destroy normal folks might never have an issue with. Heck I ride hard and I know I am running or have run stuff you sir have destroyed

  10. #810
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    167
    I have the mx series 11-42 on my fuel and it is over 1000 miles still shifts okay and no bent spiders. I am 230# and have toasted three hubs in that same time. So it has worked okay for me....I think I may try the 11-46 on my wozo - currently running 28x11-36. Ok for summer, but will need more for winter....

  11. #811
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    167

    WOZO Love

    Well - I toasted another hub on my fuel and went a few weeks on the Wozo (set up B-Fat style) - and was really starting to get in the groove and understand how to ride this beast - and also finally dialed in my b-fat pressures (9 front, 10.5 rear - 230# rider)...

    Just rebuilt my fuel wheel and after two rides I am missing the Wozo - going to get it back out tonight - maybe my primary steed has changed?....

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7153.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7170.jpg  

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7256.jpg  


  12. #812
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    After sending my shock and fork in for service on my fully I spent about 2 weeks riding my Wozo pretty much strictly jump line riding and it was an absolute hoot, had a very hard time going back to my fully.

  13. #813
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    ... some people that are just beasts that have a tendency to destroy way more than most. What you destroy normal folks might never have an issue with.
    i am far from a beast, @ 5'8" 200lbs. the sunrace spider to pin junction failed on two different cassettes. first one i considered a fluke. after the second one failed, literally the same way, i considered it a design issue.

    Round 1:


  14. #814
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    575
    Round 2:



    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Heck I ride hard and I know I am running or have run stuff you sir have destroyed
    aww.... i take that as a compliment

    *edited* and split into two posts because mtbr will not let me have two vids in the same post... :P

  15. #815
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    After sending my shock and fork in for service on my fully I spent about 2 weeks riding my Wozo pretty much strictly jump line riding and it was an absolute hoot, had a very hard time going back to my fully.
    Sylvan Hill, right? I think I met you there last fall. This is very interesting to me as I have an Ibis Mojo HD3 (you had one, or still have one?) and I'm thinking about selling my Norco Sasquatch and getting a 2018 Wozo.

  16. #816
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Sylvan Hill, right? I think I met you there last fall. This is very interesting to me as I have an Ibis Mojo HD3 (you had one, or still have one?) and I'm thinking about selling my Norco Sasquatch and getting a 2018 Wozo.
    Yup that's me, I love my Wozo and still have the HD3. Actually prefer jumping with the Wozo but it's harder on my body. If you are ever around again and want to try the Wozo just let me know (size medium)
    A little Sylvan Wozo action https://youtu.be/IOHEOjSz4Pw

  17. #817
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yup that's me, I love my Wozo and still have the HD3. Actually prefer jumping with the Wozo but it's harder on my body. If you are ever around again and want to try the Wozo just let me know (size medium)
    A little Sylvan Wozo action https://youtu.be/IOHEOjSz4Pw
    Cool video, I love that trail! I did a quick ride there last Friday morning and the jumps were in great shape. Thanks for your work there!

    I'm up in Houghton and the Kona dealer has a 2018 medium in stock. The plan is to pick it up after work today. Trying to decide if I should just take the Wozo to Copper Harbor tomorrow afternoon, or if I'd miss the Mojo.

  18. #818
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Cool video, I love that trail! I did a quick ride there last Friday morning and the jumps were in great shape. Thanks for your work there!

    I'm up in Houghton and the Kona dealer has a 2018 medium in stock. The plan is to pick it up after work today. Trying to decide if I should just take the Wozo to Copper Harbor tomorrow afternoon, or if I'd miss the Mojo.
    I would miss my Mojo if I went to Copper, that being said take both Oh and your welcome I really love the place!! I remember you now green HD3.

  19. #819
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I would miss my Mojo if I went to Copper, that being said take both Oh and your welcome I really love the place!! I remember you now green HD3.
    Good call, probably should just take both bikes tomorrow. Pretty excited to get the wozo on some more interesting trails. Definitely noticed the shorter rear end right away. Pretty easy to pull the front wheel up.


  20. #820
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    607
    Any ideas of how much a lbs should charge to change a 2017 100mm Bluto RL to a 120mm? Haven't done a shock before, and really don't want to screw it up. Watched it on being done many times on video, and a man's got to know his limitations - at least for patience.

    I want to use my 27.5s on the front and rear and keep the geometry.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

  21. #821
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    127
    Anyone running a SRAM XO crank with Wheels MFG GXP BB?

    How did you space out the NDS cup? I had to add 5mm spacers on one side to pull the crank into alignment, and even then when I backpedal, the chain will drop down one gear from the 42t.

  22. #822
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Here's the state of my Wozo - this spring has mostly seen time on the B-lowfat wheels (Cake Eaters on Kore Realm P45 rims):

    Attachment 1198201

    This morning's ride was creak free.
    How's the Jones Loop bar working out for you? I've read somewhere that it doesn't go well with front suspension.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  23. #823
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david.p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    231
    Still liking the Jones bars on the Wozo - I'd used them for a number of years on a Jones frame before I got the Wozo so knew what I was getting into. Most people seem to like the Jones bars on fireroads/gravel, etc but not everyone likes them on technical singletrack. I ride the same trails on my Wozo as I do on my FS trail bike with a regular low rise bar. The Jones puts you in a bit more relaxed position - you can still "attack" the trail but the standard bar feels more aggressive.

    Running a longer stem (I'm using a 70mm) puts your hands in a similar place as they would be with a ~35mm stem and a standard bar.

    For me the Jones bar differentiates the Wozo a bit more from my FS bike and the extra hand positions are great for longer rides, bikepacking, etc (which the Wozo is well suited to with a 29+ wheelset).

  24. #824
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    607
    Installed the 27s x 3.8 FBR on the rear of the Wozo, and left the 4.8 x 26 Jumbo Jims on the front. They were close to an inch higher than the 3.8 x 27 FBFs, and it looked like the BB was about 3/8" higher. Rode better, and had no pedal strikes. I could tell the difference in the low gear going up the steeper grades (26 x 42), and I liked that better also.

    Bluto will be extended to 120mm this coming week. Thinking that I'll keep the bike this way instead of going to 27 x 3.8 FBF.

    Am also looking at another 2019 Wozo to be bought next summer for the Duluth Bike. I'm thinking that I'd like to stay with the 80mm Mulefuts instead of the 65mms, if I pick up the 2019.

    Note to self: Wet Maple leaves the size of Basketballs are laying in wait in sharp corners.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

  25. #825
    strider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    96
    For your WOZO revelry:

  26. #826
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    265
    I'd like to join the WOZO party. I am searching for a Medium frame, or possible complete bike if anyone is looking to unload one.

  27. #827
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,382
    Iím looking too.

    The complete build Wozo seems to me to be a horrible deal. I am looking for a winter only bike. I just bought a steel Honzo and have a 2018 29er Sight in the quiver for 3 season duty.

    If I am going for a complete build, I can get a Norco Sasquatch 1 with an Eagle drivetrain and a dropper for $400 less. I appreciate itís a different animal, but still.

    Long time Kona fan. I currently have 6 in my garage. But as a general comment, I find almost all Kona complete builds these days to be a horrible deal. Plus their component spec is generally pretty shitty, even for their higher end builds.

    But that geo...

  28. #828
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Iím looking too.

    The complete build Wozo seems to me to be a horrible deal. I am looking for a winter only bike. I just bought a steel Honzo and have a 2018 29er Sight in the quiver. If I am going for a complete build, I can get a Norco Sasquatch 1 with an Eagle drivetrain and a dropper for $400 less. I appreciate itís a different animal - 26 inch wheels and a different geo but still.

    Long time Kona fan. I currently have 6 in my garage. But as a general comment, I find almost all Kona complete builds these days to be a horrible deal. Plus their component spec is generally pretty shitty, even for their higher end builds.
    If you already have a Honzo, just buy the Sasquatch and save some money. The Sasquatch is a great winter fat bike. I rode a Sasquatch the last two winters on groomed snow singletrack and loved it. I just sold it and bought a Wozo because I wanted more nimble geometry (shorter chainstays and narrower cranks) and a longer fork for summer time use with a 29" wheelset. I feel like the geometry differences between the Wozo and Sasquatch are fairly insignificant for snow riding, but it depends on what your local winter riding looks like.

  29. #829
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    If you already have a Honzo, just buy the Sasquatch and save some money. The Sasquatch is a great winter fat bike. I rode a Sasquatch the last two winters on groomed snow singletrack and loved it. I just sold it and bought a Wozo because I wanted more nimble geometry (shorter chainstays) and a longer fork for summer time use with a 29" wheelset. I feel like the geometry differences between the Wozo and Sasquatch are fairly insignificant for groomed snow riding. It depends on what your local winter riding looks like.
    Calgary Alberta Canada. Western Canadian Rockies. Foothills mostly. At lower elevations, we experience frequent freeze-thaw cycles.

    I have never owned a fat bike but I have been riding seriously for 25 years (including winter commuting).

    I am advised by the locals that studded tires are a 100% must (the 4.0 27.5 Dillingers), as is a dropper. Most say a suspension fork is a no brainer as well for the terrain.

    I am lusting after that Wozo bad. BAD. I probably should have bought it instead of my Honzo and used the non studded tires for 3 season duty. I just canít get my head around the cost for the component spec. Bang for the buck seems shitty AF.

    Itís a very tough call but I need to do something here before there is no inventory left. One thing I have learned... Never once have I ever thought about the extra money I spent to get what I wanted. On the other hand, a heavier but cheaper wheelset (for example) seems to be front of mind every ride. One hard shot to the nuts is much easier to take (and soon forgotten) than continual repeated blows. I should probably just suck it up, throw down on the Wozo, make whatever mods I want, and enjoy. Life is short.

  30. #830
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    There are a few posted for sale on Pink Bike, not sure what everyone is looking for but....

  31. #831
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Calgary Alberta Canada. Western Canadian Rockies. Foothills mostly. At lower elevations, we experience frequent freeze-thaw cycles.

    I have never owned a fat bike but I have been riding seriously for 25 years (including winter commuting).

    I am advised by the locals that studded tires are a 100% must (the 4.0 27.5 Dillingers), as is a dropper. Most say a suspension fork is a no brainer as well for the terrain.

    I am lusting after that Wozo bad. BAD. I probably should have bought it instead of my Honzo and used the non studded tires for 3 season duty. I just canít get my head around the cost for the component spec. Bang for the buck seems shitty AF.

    Itís a very tough call but I need to do something here before there is no inventory left. One thing I have learned... Never once have I ever thought about the extra money I spent to get what I wanted. On the other hand, a heavier but cheaper wheelset (for example) seems to be front of mind every ride. One hard shot to the nuts is much easier to take (and soon forgotten) than continual repeated blows. I should probably just suck it up, throw down on the Wozo, make whatever mods I want, and enjoy. Life is short.
    It sounds like the Wozo might be the better choice for your winter riding if others are recommending studded 4.0 tires and a suspension fork. Maybe it makes sense for the Wozo to replace your Honzo. The Mastadon is a really solid fork.

  32. #832
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,382
    The Sasquatch comes with a 100mm Mastodon.

    https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...-1-suspension/

    The 4.0s were only recommended because they will fit the rim on the Honzo. Otherwise everyone goes bigger. But whatever size tire, there is 100% agreement - studded tires are mandatory. Most of the serious riders I know are running studded Wrathchilds or Dillingers.

    I canít sell my Honzo. I donít even have it from the LBS yet. After buying it, it has been undergoing major surgery and I am still awaiting arrival of the fork.

    Head says Sasquatch. Heart says Wozo.

  33. #833
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    The US pricing shows $2499 for the Wozo and $2599 for the Sasquatch. The Sasquatch has a Pro fork, dropper post, and Eagle drivetrain, otherwise the specs are pretty similar. The pricing must be different in Canada?

    I wonder how the Terrene 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eaters or Bontrager 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhals will fit on the back of the Wozo? Both are studdable.

  34. #834
    strider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    96
    Has anybody run a Dunderbeist (26x4.6) on a Mulefut 80mm on the rear of their Wozo?

    I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming. The Dunder and Flow Biests are the recommended tires here by the local shops and riders, but I am a bit concerned with chainstay clearance. I run the drop-outs in full extension mode in the winter for better wheel-base/handling so I am not worried about fore-aft clearance, just the width.
    Thanks, R-

  35. #835
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Has anybody run a Dunderbeist (26x4.6) on a Mulefut 80mm on the rear of their Wozo?

    I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming. The Dunder and Flow Biests are the recommended tires here by the local shops and riders, but I am a bit concerned with chainstay clearance. I run the drop-outs in full extension mode in the winter for better wheel-base/handling so I am not worried about fore-aft clearance, just the width.
    Thanks, R-
    Dunderbeist is fine on the 80 mulefuts if you don't need to run the shortest chainstay possible. I had to slide the dropouts back about 5mm from the shortest position to clear the chainstay yoke on mine, further back would get you even more clearance.

  36. #836
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    The US pricing shows $2499 for the Wozo and $2599 for the Sasquatch. The Sasquatch has a Pro fork, dropper post, and Eagle drivetrain, otherwise the specs are pretty similar. The pricing must be different in Canada?

    I wonder how the Terrene 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eaters or Bontrager 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhals will fit on the back of the Wozo? Both are studdable.
    My pricing is not MSRP. For whatever reason, the discount is significantly greater percentage wise on the Norco than the Kona.

    Agreed on your summary of the component comparison.

    In Canada they have the identical MSRP. Not sure why, given what appears to be a pretty significant difference in component spec. The Wo component spec is off the charts cray. 10 speed? Seriously? Did they cobble this together from the parts bin?

  37. #837
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    I run Wrathchilds on mine on 90's, like other reports I need to slide them back a ways. 80's would be a better choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-23732549_2135603249798516_971897404_o.jpg  


  38. #838
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david.p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming
    Surly Edna 4.3 was a great all-around (snow and dirt) rear when I was running 26s on the Wozo. It measured around 110mm wide on 80mm rims after some use.

  39. #839
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Wozo Community, I've got a couple of questions:

    1. What are folks running for rigid forks these days? I'm looking at the MRP or the RSD most closely at the moment as they are 490 a-c vs all the QBP brands which are a little shorter. The Norco rigid is 511 a-c, but they won't sell me one without the rest of the bike. I have also talked to Waltworks about a custom fork, that is on the table too.

    2. Has anyone tried the cake eater 27.5 x 4.5? I read a review that showed it measures much larger than the 27.5 x 4.5 barbs/gnars. Looked like it may not fit diametrically even in the most rearward position (785mm dia).

    Thanks!
    Gus

  40. #840
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bluebeat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    318
    How long of a fork is Walt willing to build? I'm currently building up a Wozo frame myself.

  41. #841
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    I talked to him about 507mm, based on a sagged 120 non-extended Mastadon. Walt has built 36ers in the past, so, without putting words in his mouth, I think any reasonable length would be no problem for him. I already own a 29er frame and fork from him - the only thing stopping me from doing another custom fork is that I don't think I'll have this frame forever... I feel a custom fatty is in my future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    How long of a fork is Walt willing to build? I'm currently building up a Wozo frame myself.

  42. #842
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    Quote Originally Posted by GusM View Post
    I feel a custom fatty is in my future.
    Funny I went from a custom ti fatty to the Wozo, thing just rips.

  43. #843
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    484
    Anyone tried to fit 27.5x4.5 Cake Eater our back yet?

  44. #844
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jt-nr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Anyone tried to fit 27.5x4.5 Cake Eater our back yet?
    Yes, even with the drop outs all the way back it doesn't fit (Mulefut 65mm rim). The 27.5 x 4 fits and I'll probably move the drop outs back most if not all the way back in.

  45. #845
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-nr View Post
    Yes, even with the drop outs all the way back it doesn't fit (Mulefut 65mm rim). The 27.5 x 4 fits and I'll probably move the drop outs back most if not all the way back in.
    Thanks for saving me the time and trouble. Iíve read the Gnarwhal 4.5 measures .5Ē smaller then the Cake Eater. You think that has a chance?

  46. #846
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jt-nr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Thanks for saving me the time and trouble. Iíve read the Gnarwhal 4.5 measures .5Ē smaller then the Cake Eater. You think that has a chance?
    Not sure, the CE's were so tight I could not even get the axle in... I just gave up and didn't take much note of the clearance. Tonight I can measure the 4.5 (I have it on the front) and the 4 and let you know the dimensions.
    Last edited by jt-nr; 12-06-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo

  47. #847
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-nr View Post
    Not sure, the CE's were so tight I could not even get the axle in... I just gave up and didn't take much note of the clearance. Tonight I can measure the 4.5 (I have it on the front) and the 4 and let you know the dimensions.
    I'm also interested in these dimensions - thanks!

  48. #848
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    14
    Is anyone getting a 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhal on the back of their Wozo? I can get the Barbegazi but it looks like that is about all. My previous green frame could not take the Barbegazi but the warrantied purple frame fits it tight but doable.

    Edit:
    I'm asking about a 80mm rim versus the stock 65mm. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bikemusher; 12-07-2018 at 10:33 AM.

  49. #849
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jt-nr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by GusM View Post
    I'm also interested in these dimensions - thanks!
    Here you go;
    CE 4.0 at 8.5 psi on Mulefut 65mm rims - 3.75" wide at knobs, 29.625" diameter (rear)
    CE 4.5 at 8.75 psi on Mulefut 65mm rims - 4.48" wide at knobs, 31.875" diameter (front)

  50. #850
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-nr View Post
    Here you go;
    CE 4.0 at 8.5 psi on Mulefut 65mm rims - 3.75" wide at knobs, 29.625" diameter (rear)
    CE 4.5 at 8.75 psi on Mulefut 65mm rims - 4.48" wide at knobs, 31.875" diameter (front)
    Thank you!!

  51. #851
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stopbreakindown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    854
    Got a quick run on the fat set-up.
    483 a-to-c rigid fork
    D5 front D4 rear
    175mm x9 gxp cranks
    = Pedal strike city

    Doesn't help that all of the roots are still exposed from the one whole inch of snow we have had this year in Anchorage.
    I do love how the bike handles though.
    Taking an 1" off the chainstay length compared to my last fat bike makes a huge difference.
    Didn't spin out on some icy climbs that others had a hard time with. Siting on the rear tire helps those studs bite a little more methinks.

    I'm gonna need to find the elusive Sram Fat4 GXP 165mm cranks
    or
    a 120mm mastadon
    or
    Both

    Looking to buy either one if someone is holding.

  52. #852
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bluebeat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    318
    I had Walt of Waltworks fabricate me a steel 510mm axle to crown fork for my Wozo build. It's at the powder coater as I type.

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0593.jpg
    CADRE RACING

    Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

  53. #853
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bluebeat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    318
    Ugh...sideways photo!
    CADRE RACING

    Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

  54. #854
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stopbreakindown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    854
    Nice call on the waltworks fork, I'd love one

    Measured the BB w/ the shorty fork

    11.5" :lol

  55. #855
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386


    Two Wozos in the snow at Winman trails in Northern Wisconsin.

  56. #856
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post

    Two Wozos in the snow at Winman trails in Northern Wisconsin.
    Fun little system.

  57. #857
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Fun little system.
    Definitely. It looked like they had quite a bit of traffic this weekend, but snow was still firm and smooth. A bit of a bummer that it's going to get warm for a few days.

    I also rode Ringle for the first time on Saturday morning. Also fun. Yay for more trails.

    To get back on topic.... I'm really liking the handling of the Wozo. Makes those optional jumps and drops a lot more fun.

  58. #858
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Does anyone know if paragon inserts will fit in a wozo frame?

  59. #859
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Looking at the parts in more detail, I think I've answered my own question. Looks like no due at least to the two separate slots on the frame vs the bridged tab design on the paragon parts.

  60. #860
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Waxtrax84's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    I've got my 2018 Kona Wozo size Medium for sale. If anyone is interested in the New England area let me know! https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2487653/

  61. #861
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21

    27.5 x 80mm with 4.5 Barbs - No go on my frame

    Hey All-

    I was thinking based on Nurse Ben's experience that I could fit 4.5" Barbs on 27.5 x 80mm rims (Mulefut in my case), but found that it doesn't work. It clears barely in the static condition but authoritative pedaling produces rubbing on both sides. Dropouts slammed all the way back. Back to the drawing board for a maximum float wheel set...

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-driveside.jpg


    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-nondriveside.jpg

  62. #862
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,367
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Definitely. It looked like they had quite a bit of traffic this weekend, but snow was still firm and smooth. A bit of a bummer that it's going to get warm for a few days.

    I also rode Ringle for the first time on Saturday morning. Also fun. Yay for more trails.

    To get back on topic.... I'm really liking the handling of the Wozo. Makes those optional jumps and drops a lot more fun.
    Make sure to rip at Sylvan Hill next summer, Wozo shreds it all with (almost) no issues.

  63. #863
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stopbreakindown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    854
    Added a dropper and found some snow w/ minimal roots.
    Fun times!


  64. #864
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post


    Two Wozos in the snow at Winman trails in Northern Wisconsin.
    If you make it there again, be sure to Check out Raven Trail in the Minocqua area. Only about half hour drive south of WinMan.

  65. #865
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    607
    [QUOTE=GusM;13915416]Hey All-

    I was thinking based on Nurse Ben's experience that I could fit 4.5" Barbs on 27.5 x 80mm rims (Mulefut in my case), but found that it doesn't work. It clears barely in the static condition but authoritative pedaling produces rubbing on both sides. Dropouts slammed all the way back. Back to the drawing board for a maximum float wheel set...

    What's the widest rear tires on 26" x 80mm rims anyone has used without slamming the dropouts all the way back.

    Actually been trying to find out the tallest 26" x 80mmm rim mount tires. Most interested in trail riding without pedal strikes through rock gardens. New bike 2017 Wozo with Mastodon EXT to be delivered on Monday.

    I'm more than happy with the JJ 4.8 on the front for all season riding.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

  66. #866
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    14
    [QUOTE=Bumpyride;13917366]
    Quote Originally Posted by GusM View Post
    Hey All-

    I was thinking based on Nurse Ben's experience that I could fit 4.5" Barbs on 27.5 x 80mm rims (Mulefut in my case), but found that it doesn't work. It clears barely in the static condition but authoritative pedaling produces rubbing on both sides. Dropouts slammed all the way back. Back to the drawing board for a maximum float wheel set...

    What's the widest rear tires on 26" x 80mm rims anyone has used without slamming the dropouts all the way back.

    Actually been trying to find out the tallest 26" x 80mmm rim mount tires. Most interested in trail riding without pedal strikes through rock gardens. New bike 2017 Wozo with Mastodon EXT to be delivered on Monday.

    I'm more than happy with the JJ 4.8 on the front for all season riding.


    I had the first green Wozo and tried to fit 4.5" Barbs on it and experienced rubbing as you are experiencing. I broke that frame and the new warrantied purple frame actually fits the Barbs on 80 mm Jackalopes as I've been riding it a lot for the past month or so and am now confident that it will work. Tight but no rub. Yes, it is slammed back as far as it goes with nothing to spare. I daydream about having a 4.5" Gnarwhal back there. Apparently, it is so close that it works for some frames but not others.

  67. #867
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,549
    This may help someone. This is a Revelate Ranger bag medium on a size Large Wozo. Decent fit IMHO. I did eventually put a rubber band around the nose of the bag as I felt it widened out too much and would hit my knees in out of saddle pedaling.

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-015.jpg

    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-013.jpg

    I got stupid fast shipping and a solid deal from Bike Hub Shop.

  68. #868
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    [QUOTE=Bikemusher;13917716]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post



    I had the first green Wozo and tried to fit 4.5" Barbs on it and experienced rubbing as you are experiencing. I broke that frame and the new warrantied purple frame actually fits the Barbs on 80 mm Jackalopes as I've been riding it a lot for the past month or so and am now confident that it will work. Tight but no rub. Yes, it is slammed back as far as it goes with nothing to spare. I daydream about having a 4.5" Gnarwhal back there. Apparently, it is so close that it works for some frames but not others.
    Thanks for the comment - at least I know I'm not totally crazy or have a strange frame.

  69. #869
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    607
    [QUOTE=GusM;13922870]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemusher View Post

    Thanks for the comment - at least I know I'm not totally crazy or have a strange frame.
    Pretty sure we're all crazy and the Wozo is a strange frame (one of the best)
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

  70. #870
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    I had Walt of Waltworks fabricate me a steel 510mm axle to crown fork for my Wozo build. It's at the powder coater as I type.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	1228254
    Have you had a chance to ride it yet? A friend (actually a student of Walt) is building me a very similar steel fork. I was also planning to go with 510mm A-C.

  71. #871
    Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Reputation: azfishman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    273
    Shameless plug, please delete if not okay

    Looking for an XL frame or complete if anyone has one.
    I'd buy a new one but the spec sheet looks like they grabbed whatever was leftover and made it work.

    Thanks
    2016 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

  72. #872
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Shameless plug, please delete if not okay

    Looking for an XL frame or complete if anyone has one.
    I'd buy a new one but the spec sheet looks like they grabbed whatever was leftover and made it work.

    Thanks
    Bicycle Express in Waterbury, VT has one. Not sure about shipping etc. I'm 10 minutes away and could arrange the shipping if you need. It's last years bike and priced at $2000. I think it's on pinkbike.

  73. #873
    Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Reputation: azfishman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    273
    I did see that one on PB. Looking for the 27.5 version. May have to wait for next years model to see if they update the component spec. Thanks!
    2016 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

  74. #874
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Got a quick run on the fat set-up.
    483 a-to-c rigid fork
    D5 front D4 rear
    175mm x9 gxp cranks
    = Pedal strike city

    Doesn't help that all of the roots are still exposed from the one whole inch of snow we have had this year in Anchorage.
    I do love how the bike handles though.
    Taking an 1" off the chainstay length compared to my last fat bike makes a huge difference.
    Didn't spin out on some icy climbs that others had a hard time with. Siting on the rear tire helps those studs bite a little more methinks.

    I'm gonna need to find the elusive Sram Fat4 GXP 165mm cranks
    or
    a 120mm mastadon
    or
    Both

    Looking to buy either one if someone is holding.
    Lower headset cup for a Cane Creek angleset would add about 12mm to the lower stack height = 495mm. You'd need the lower cup (EC56) and gimbal ( 52mm - For 1.5" Bearings) Universal Cycles has them. Also the Bontrager Haru carbon fork from the Farley has 490mm axle to crown. With the CC lower cup it would be around 502mm.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 1 Week Ago at 02:04 AM.
    No moss...

  75. #875
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    607
    Just scored a couple of Jumbo Jim 4.4 SS at Universal Cycles and a multi tool for $145 shipped. Tires worked out to be $61 each. Needed a taller rear for some additional bottom bracket clearance along with the new Mastodon AC to even out the geometry. They had an additional 10% off and free shipping if the order was over $150 before the discount, hence the multitool.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

  76. #876
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bluebeat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Have you had a chance to ride it yet? A friend (actually a student of Walt) is building me a very similar steel fork. I was also planning to go with 510mm A-C.
    Itís still not built yet. Maybe this week!
    CADRE RACING

    Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Similar Threads

  1. I got my Kona Wozo
    By OfficiallyColin in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 12-26-2017, 11:07 AM
  2. Kona Wozo
    By nitrousjunky in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 12-30-2016, 05:46 AM
  3. Kona Wozo frame only option?
    By Nurse Ben in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2016, 04:41 PM
  4. Help with my first bike - KONA WOZO or KONA BIG HONZO DL??
    By stew1818 in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 02:43 PM
  5. Kona wozo
    By stew1818 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Members who have read this thread: 423

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.