Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8! - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 1002
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Bottom bracket height has increased by 17mm or .669 inches. That's a real plus. Wheel base has increased slightly 4mm.
    Both these changes are likely the result of the wheel size and fork changes rather than frame geo changing.

Also 2019 colors are the 2017 color way reversed. So will next year be charcoal with cyan decals?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

First major test

Marji Gesick race trim

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0399.jpg

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Also 2019 colors are the 2017 color way reversed. So will next year be charcoal with cyan decals?
    Now that could be sharp.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any suggestions for a cassette 11-42 for a 2017 Wozo.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Any suggestions for a cassette 11-42 for a 2017 Wozo.
    i broke (2) sunrace spiders, so i suggest not getting them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Thanks, they were on the short list. I'll steer clear.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    I'm still using the SLX 11-46t that went onto my '18 Wozo frame build-up just about a year ago. I also have the 11-42t on another bike. No issues with either cassette.

mtbr member
    Which model(s)? I have a couple 11-46T and a 11-50T (all CXM8 or 80) and no issues.

aka bOb
    I am not recommending to use Sunrace or not, no clue but there are some people that are just beasts that have a tendency to destroy way more than most. What you destroy normal folks might never have an issue with. Heck I ride hard and I know I am running or have run stuff you sir have destroyed

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the mx series 11-42 on my fuel and it is over 1000 miles still shifts okay and no bent spiders. I am 230# and have toasted three hubs in that same time. So it has worked okay for me....I think I may try the 11-46 on my wozo - currently running 28x11-36. Ok for summer, but will need more for winter....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

WOZO Love

Well - I toasted another hub on my fuel and went a few weeks on the Wozo (set up B-Fat style) - and was really starting to get in the groove and understand how to ride this beast - and also finally dialed in my b-fat pressures (9 front, 10.5 rear - 230# rider)...

Just rebuilt my fuel wheel and after two rides I am missing the Wozo - going to get it back out tonight - maybe my primary steed has changed?....

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7153.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7170.jpg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_7256.jpg  

aka bOb
    After sending my shock and fork in for service on my fully I spent about 2 weeks riding my Wozo pretty much strictly jump line riding and it was an absolute hoot, had a very hard time going back to my fully.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    ... some people that are just beasts that have a tendency to destroy way more than most. What you destroy normal folks might never have an issue with.
    i am far from a beast, @ 5'8" 200lbs. the sunrace spider to pin junction failed on two different cassettes. first one i considered a fluke. after the second one failed, literally the same way, i considered it a design issue.

Round 1:

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Round 2:

Heck I ride hard and I know I am running or have run stuff you sir have destroyed
    aww.... i take that as a compliment

*edited* and split into two posts because mtbr will not let me have two vids in the same post... :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    After sending my shock and fork in for service on my fully I spent about 2 weeks riding my Wozo pretty much strictly jump line riding and it was an absolute hoot, had a very hard time going back to my fully.
    Sylvan Hill, right? I think I met you there last fall. This is very interesting to me as I have an Ibis Mojo HD3 (you had one, or still have one?) and I'm thinking about selling my Norco Sasquatch and getting a 2018 Wozo.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Sylvan Hill, right? I think I met you there last fall. This is very interesting to me as I have an Ibis Mojo HD3 (you had one, or still have one?) and I'm thinking about selling my Norco Sasquatch and getting a 2018 Wozo.
    Yup that's me, I love my Wozo and still have the HD3. Actually prefer jumping with the Wozo but it's harder on my body. If you are ever around again and want to try the Wozo just let me know (size medium)
    A little Sylvan Wozo action https://youtu.be/IOHEOjSz4Pw

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yup that's me, I love my Wozo and still have the HD3. Actually prefer jumping with the Wozo but it's harder on my body. If you are ever around again and want to try the Wozo just let me know (size medium)
    A little Sylvan Wozo action https://youtu.be/IOHEOjSz4Pw
    Cool video, I love that trail! I did a quick ride there last Friday morning and the jumps were in great shape. Thanks for your work there!

I'm up in Houghton and the Kona dealer has a 2018 medium in stock. The plan is to pick it up after work today. Trying to decide if I should just take the Wozo to Copper Harbor tomorrow afternoon, or if I'd miss the Mojo.

aka bOb
    Cool video, I love that trail! I did a quick ride there last Friday morning and the jumps were in great shape. Thanks for your work there!

I'm up in Houghton and the Kona dealer has a 2018 medium in stock. The plan is to pick it up after work today. Trying to decide if I should just take the Wozo to Copper Harbor tomorrow afternoon, or if I'd miss the Mojo.
    I would miss my Mojo if I went to Copper, that being said take both Oh and your welcome I really love the place!! I remember you now green HD3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would miss my Mojo if I went to Copper, that being said take both Oh and your welcome I really love the place!! I remember you now green HD3.
    Good call, probably should just take both bikes tomorrow. Pretty excited to get the wozo on some more interesting trails. Definitely noticed the shorter rear end right away. Pretty easy to pull the front wheel up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any ideas of how much a lbs should charge to change a 2017 100mm Bluto RL to a 120mm? Haven't done a shock before, and really don't want to screw it up. Watched it on being done many times on video, and a man's got to know his limitations - at least for patience.

I want to use my 27.5s on the front and rear and keep the geometry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone running a SRAM XO crank with Wheels MFG GXP BB?

How did you space out the NDS cup? I had to add 5mm spacers on one side to pull the crank into alignment, and even then when I backpedal, the chain will drop down one gear from the 42t.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Here's the state of my Wozo - this spring has mostly seen time on the B-lowfat wheels (Cake Eaters on Kore Realm P45 rims):

Attachment 1198201

This morning's ride was creak free.
    How's the Jones Loop bar working out for you? I've read somewhere that it doesn't go well with front suspension.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Still liking the Jones bars on the Wozo - I'd used them for a number of years on a Jones frame before I got the Wozo so knew what I was getting into. Most people seem to like the Jones bars on fireroads/gravel, etc but not everyone likes them on technical singletrack. I ride the same trails on my Wozo as I do on my FS trail bike with a regular low rise bar. The Jones puts you in a bit more relaxed position - you can still "attack" the trail but the standard bar feels more aggressive.

Running a longer stem (I'm using a 70mm) puts your hands in a similar place as they would be with a ~35mm stem and a standard bar.

For me the Jones bar differentiates the Wozo a bit more from my FS bike and the extra hand positions are great for longer rides, bikepacking, etc (which the Wozo is well suited to with a 29+ wheelset).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Installed the 27s x 3.8 FBR on the rear of the Wozo, and left the 4.8 x 26 Jumbo Jims on the front. They were close to an inch higher than the 3.8 x 27 FBFs, and it looked like the BB was about 3/8" higher. Rode better, and had no pedal strikes. I could tell the difference in the low gear going up the steeper grades (26 x 42), and I liked that better also.

Bluto will be extended to 120mm this coming week. Thinking that I'll keep the bike this way instead of going to 27 x 3.8 FBF.

Am also looking at another 2019 Wozo to be bought next summer for the Duluth Bike. I'm thinking that I'd like to stay with the 80mm Mulefuts instead of the 65mms, if I pick up the 2019.

Note to self: Wet Maple leaves the size of Basketballs are laying in wait in sharp corners.

strider
    Nov 2010
    For your WOZO revelry:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd like to join the WOZO party. I am searching for a Medium frame, or possible complete bike if anyone is looking to unload one.

high pivot witchcraft
    Iím looking too.

The complete build Wozo seems to me to be a horrible deal. I am looking for a winter only bike. I just bought a steel Honzo and have a 2018 29er Sight in the quiver for 3 season duty.

If I am going for a complete build, I can get a Norco Sasquatch 1 with an Eagle drivetrain and a dropper for $400 less. I appreciate itís a different animal, but still.

Long time Kona fan. I currently have 6 in my garage. But as a general comment, I find almost all Kona complete builds these days to be a horrible deal. Plus their component spec is generally pretty shitty, even for their higher end builds.

But that geo...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Iím looking too.

The complete build Wozo seems to me to be a horrible deal. I am looking for a winter only bike. I just bought a steel Honzo and have a 2018 29er Sight in the quiver. If I am going for a complete build, I can get a Norco Sasquatch 1 with an Eagle drivetrain and a dropper for $400 less. I appreciate itís a different animal - 26 inch wheels and a different geo but still.

Long time Kona fan. I currently have 6 in my garage. But as a general comment, I find almost all Kona complete builds these days to be a horrible deal. Plus their component spec is generally pretty shitty, even for their higher end builds.
    If you already have a Honzo, just buy the Sasquatch and save some money. The Sasquatch is a great winter fat bike. I rode a Sasquatch the last two winters on groomed snow singletrack and loved it. I just sold it and bought a Wozo because I wanted more nimble geometry (shorter chainstays and narrower cranks) and a longer fork for summer time use with a 29" wheelset. I feel like the geometry differences between the Wozo and Sasquatch are fairly insignificant for snow riding, but it depends on what your local winter riding looks like.

high pivot witchcraft
    If you already have a Honzo, just buy the Sasquatch and save some money. The Sasquatch is a great winter fat bike. I rode a Sasquatch the last two winters on groomed snow singletrack and loved it. I just sold it and bought a Wozo because I wanted more nimble geometry (shorter chainstays) and a longer fork for summer time use with a 29" wheelset. I feel like the geometry differences between the Wozo and Sasquatch are fairly insignificant for groomed snow riding. It depends on what your local winter riding looks like.
    Calgary Alberta Canada. Western Canadian Rockies. Foothills mostly. At lower elevations, we experience frequent freeze-thaw cycles.

I have never owned a fat bike but I have been riding seriously for 25 years (including winter commuting).

I am advised by the locals that studded tires are a 100% must (the 4.0 27.5 Dillingers), as is a dropper. Most say a suspension fork is a no brainer as well for the terrain.

I am lusting after that Wozo bad. BAD. I probably should have bought it instead of my Honzo and used the non studded tires for 3 season duty. I just canít get my head around the cost for the component spec. Bang for the buck seems shitty AF.

Itís a very tough call but I need to do something here before there is no inventory left. One thing I have learned... Never once have I ever thought about the extra money I spent to get what I wanted. On the other hand, a heavier but cheaper wheelset (for example) seems to be front of mind every ride. One hard shot to the nuts is much easier to take (and soon forgotten) than continual repeated blows. I should probably just suck it up, throw down on the Wozo, make whatever mods I want, and enjoy. Life is short.

aka bOb
    There are a few posted for sale on Pink Bike, not sure what everyone is looking for but....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Calgary Alberta Canada. Western Canadian Rockies. Foothills mostly. At lower elevations, we experience frequent freeze-thaw cycles.

I have never owned a fat bike but I have been riding seriously for 25 years (including winter commuting).

I am advised by the locals that studded tires are a 100% must (the 4.0 27.5 Dillingers), as is a dropper. Most say a suspension fork is a no brainer as well for the terrain.

I am lusting after that Wozo bad. BAD. I probably should have bought it instead of my Honzo and used the non studded tires for 3 season duty. I just canít get my head around the cost for the component spec. Bang for the buck seems shitty AF.

Itís a very tough call but I need to do something here before there is no inventory left. One thing I have learned... Never once have I ever thought about the extra money I spent to get what I wanted. On the other hand, a heavier but cheaper wheelset (for example) seems to be front of mind every ride. One hard shot to the nuts is much easier to take (and soon forgotten) than continual repeated blows. I should probably just suck it up, throw down on the Wozo, make whatever mods I want, and enjoy. Life is short.
    It sounds like the Wozo might be the better choice for your winter riding if others are recommending studded 4.0 tires and a suspension fork. Maybe it makes sense for the Wozo to replace your Honzo. The Mastadon is a really solid fork.

high pivot witchcraft
    The Sasquatch comes with a 100mm Mastodon.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...-1-suspension/

The 4.0s were only recommended because they will fit the rim on the Honzo. Otherwise everyone goes bigger. But whatever size tire, there is 100% agreement - studded tires are mandatory. Most of the serious riders I know are running studded Wrathchilds or Dillingers.

I canít sell my Honzo. I donít even have it from the LBS yet. After buying it, it has been undergoing major surgery and I am still awaiting arrival of the fork.

Head says Sasquatch. Heart says Wozo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The US pricing shows $2499 for the Wozo and $2599 for the Sasquatch. The Sasquatch has a Pro fork, dropper post, and Eagle drivetrain, otherwise the specs are pretty similar. The pricing must be different in Canada?

I wonder how the Terrene 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eaters or Bontrager 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhals will fit on the back of the Wozo? Both are studdable.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Has anybody run a Dunderbeist (26x4.6) on a Mulefut 80mm on the rear of their Wozo?

I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming. The Dunder and Flow Biests are the recommended tires here by the local shops and riders, but I am a bit concerned with chainstay clearance. I run the drop-outs in full extension mode in the winter for better wheel-base/handling so I am not worried about fore-aft clearance, just the width.
    Thanks, R-

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    Has anybody run a Dunderbeist (26x4.6) on a Mulefut 80mm on the rear of their Wozo?

I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming. The Dunder and Flow Biests are the recommended tires here by the local shops and riders, but I am a bit concerned with chainstay clearance. I run the drop-outs in full extension mode in the winter for better wheel-base/handling so I am not worried about fore-aft clearance, just the width.
    Thanks, R-
    Dunderbeist is fine on the 80 mulefuts if you don't need to run the shortest chainstay possible. I had to slide the dropouts back about 5mm from the shortest position to clear the chainstay yoke on mine, further back would get you even more clearance.

high pivot witchcraft
    The US pricing shows $2499 for the Wozo and $2599 for the Sasquatch. The Sasquatch has a Pro fork, dropper post, and Eagle drivetrain, otherwise the specs are pretty similar. The pricing must be different in Canada?

I wonder how the Terrene 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eaters or Bontrager 27.5 x 4.5 Gnarwhals will fit on the back of the Wozo? Both are studdable.
    My pricing is not MSRP. For whatever reason, the discount is significantly greater percentage wise on the Norco than the Kona.

Agreed on your summary of the component comparison.

In Canada they have the identical MSRP. Not sure why, given what appears to be a pretty significant difference in component spec. The Wo component spec is off the charts cray. 10 speed? Seriously? Did they cobble this together from the parts bin?

aka bOb
    I run Wrathchilds on mine on 90's, like other reports I need to slide them back a ways. 80's would be a better choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-23732549_2135603249798516_971897404_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    I need to move on from the stock Jumbo Jim (26x4.0) tire and looking for something much more aggressive for the steep and not always groomed trails out here in Wyoming
    Surly Edna 4.3 was a great all-around (snow and dirt) rear when I was running 26s on the Wozo. It measured around 110mm wide on 80mm rims after some use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Wozo Community, I've got a couple of questions:

1. What are folks running for rigid forks these days? I'm looking at the MRP or the RSD most closely at the moment as they are 490 a-c vs all the QBP brands which are a little shorter. The Norco rigid is 511 a-c, but they won't sell me one without the rest of the bike. I have also talked to Waltworks about a custom fork, that is on the table too.

2. Has anyone tried the cake eater 27.5 x 4.5? I read a review that showed it measures much larger than the 27.5 x 4.5 barbs/gnars. Looked like it may not fit diametrically even in the most rearward position (785mm dia).

Thanks!
    Gus

mtbr member
    How long of a fork is Walt willing to build? I'm currently building up a Wozo frame myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I talked to him about 507mm, based on a sagged 120 non-extended Mastadon. Walt has built 36ers in the past, so, without putting words in his mouth, I think any reasonable length would be no problem for him. I already own a 29er frame and fork from him - the only thing stopping me from doing another custom fork is that I don't think I'll have this frame forever... I feel a custom fatty is in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    How long of a fork is Walt willing to build? I'm currently building up a Wozo frame myself.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by GusM View Post
    I feel a custom fatty is in my future.
    Funny I went from a custom ti fatty to the Wozo, thing just rips.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried to fit 27.5x4.5 Cake Eater our back yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Anyone tried to fit 27.5x4.5 Cake Eater our back yet?
    Yes, even with the drop outs all the way back it doesn't fit (Mulefut 65mm rim). The 27.5 x 4 fits and I'll probably move the drop outs back most if not all the way back in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-nr View Post
    Yes, even with the drop outs all the way back it doesn't fit (Mulefut 65mm rim). The 27.5 x 4 fits and I'll probably move the drop outs back most if not all the way back in.
    Thanks for saving me the time and trouble. Iíve read the Gnarwhal 4.5 measures .5Ē smaller then the Cake Eater. You think that has a chance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Thanks for saving me the time and trouble. Iíve read the Gnarwhal 4.5 measures .5Ē smaller then the Cake Eater. You think that has a chance?
    Not sure, the CE's were so tight I could not even get the axle in... I just gave up and didn't take much note of the clearance. Tonight I can measure the 4.5 (I have it on the front) and the 4 and let you know the dimensions.
    Last edited by jt-nr; 12-06-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Not sure, the CE's were so tight I could not even get the axle in... I just gave up and didn't take much note of the clearance. Tonight I can measure the 4.5 (I have it on the front) and the 4 and let you know the dimensions.
    I'm also interested in these dimensions - thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Is anyone getting a 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhal on the back of their Wozo? I can get the Barbegazi but it looks like that is about all. My previous green frame could not take the Barbegazi but the warrantied purple frame fits it tight but doable.

Edit:
    I'm asking about a 80mm rim versus the stock 65mm. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bikemusher; 12-07-2018 at 10:33 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm also interested in these dimensions - thanks!
    Here you go;
    CE 4.0 at 8.5 psi on Mulefut 65mm rims - 3.75" wide at knobs, 29.625" diameter (rear)
    CE 4.5 at 8.75 psi on Mulefut 65mm rims - 4.48" wide at knobs, 31.875" diameter (front)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Here you go;
    CE 4.0 at 8.5 psi on Mulefut 65mm rims - 3.75" wide at knobs, 29.625" diameter (rear)
    CE 4.5 at 8.75 psi on Mulefut 65mm rims - 4.48" wide at knobs, 31.875" diameter (front)
    Thank you!!

mtbr member
    Got a quick run on the fat set-up.
    483 a-to-c rigid fork
    D5 front D4 rear
    175mm x9 gxp cranks
    = Pedal strike city

Doesn't help that all of the roots are still exposed from the one whole inch of snow we have had this year in Anchorage.
    I do love how the bike handles though.
    Taking an 1" off the chainstay length compared to my last fat bike makes a huge difference.
    Didn't spin out on some icy climbs that others had a hard time with. Siting on the rear tire helps those studs bite a little more methinks.

I'm gonna need to find the elusive Sram Fat4 GXP 165mm cranks
    or
    a 120mm mastadon
    or
    Both

Looking to buy either one if someone is holding.

mtbr member
    I had Walt of Waltworks fabricate me a steel 510mm axle to crown fork for my Wozo build. It's at the powder coater as I type.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0593.jpg
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

mtbr member
    Ugh...sideways photo!
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

mtbr member
    Nice call on the waltworks fork, I'd love one

Measured the BB w/ the shorty fork

11.5" :lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Two Wozos in the snow at Winman trails in Northern Wisconsin.

aka bOb

Fun little system.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Fun little system.
    Definitely. It looked like they had quite a bit of traffic this weekend, but snow was still firm and smooth. A bit of a bummer that it's going to get warm for a few days.

I also rode Ringle for the first time on Saturday morning. Also fun. Yay for more trails.

To get back on topic.... I'm really liking the handling of the Wozo. Makes those optional jumps and drops a lot more fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Does anyone know if paragon inserts will fit in a wozo frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looking at the parts in more detail, I think I've answered my own question. Looks like no due at least to the two separate slots on the frame vs the bridged tab design on the paragon parts.

mtbr member
    I've got my 2018 Kona Wozo size Medium for sale. If anyone is interested in the New England area let me know! https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2487653/

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

27.5 x 80mm with 4.5 Barbs - No go on my frame

Hey All-

I was thinking based on Nurse Ben's experience that I could fit 4.5" Barbs on 27.5 x 80mm rims (Mulefut in my case), but found that it doesn't work. It clears barely in the static condition but authoritative pedaling produces rubbing on both sides. Dropouts slammed all the way back. Back to the drawing board for a maximum float wheel set...

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-driveside.jpg

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-nondriveside.jpg

aka bOb
    Definitely. It looked like they had quite a bit of traffic this weekend, but snow was still firm and smooth. A bit of a bummer that it's going to get warm for a few days.

I also rode Ringle for the first time on Saturday morning. Also fun. Yay for more trails.

To get back on topic.... I'm really liking the handling of the Wozo. Makes those optional jumps and drops a lot more fun.
    Make sure to rip at Sylvan Hill next summer, Wozo shreds it all with (almost) no issues.

mtbr member
    Added a dropper and found some snow w/ minimal roots.
    Fun times!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

If you make it there again, be sure to Check out Raven Trail in the Minocqua area. Only about half hour drive south of WinMan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    [QUOTE=GusM;13915416]Hey All-

I was thinking based on Nurse Ben's experience that I could fit 4.5" Barbs on 27.5 x 80mm rims (Mulefut in my case), but found that it doesn't work. It clears barely in the static condition but authoritative pedaling produces rubbing on both sides. Dropouts slammed all the way back. Back to the drawing board for a maximum float wheel set...

What's the widest rear tires on 26" x 80mm rims anyone has used without slamming the dropouts all the way back.

Actually been trying to find out the tallest 26" x 80mmm rim mount tires. Most interested in trail riding without pedal strikes through rock gardens. New bike 2017 Wozo with Mastodon EXT to be delivered on Monday.

I'm more than happy with the JJ 4.8 on the front for all season riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    [QUOTE=Bumpyride;13917366]
    Hey All-

What's the widest rear tires on 26" x 80mm rims anyone has used without slamming the dropouts all the way back.

Actually been trying to find out the tallest 26" x 80mmm rim mount tires. Most interested in trail riding without pedal strikes through rock gardens. New bike 2017 Wozo with Mastodon EXT to be delivered on Monday.

I'm more than happy with the JJ 4.8 on the front for all season riding.

I had the first green Wozo and tried to fit 4.5" Barbs on it and experienced rubbing as you are experiencing. I broke that frame and the new warrantied purple frame actually fits the Barbs on 80 mm Jackalopes as I've been riding it a lot for the past month or so and am now confident that it will work. Tight but no rub. Yes, it is slammed back as far as it goes with nothing to spare. I daydream about having a 4.5" Gnarwhal back there. Apparently, it is so close that it works for some frames but not others.

Your bike sucks
    This may help someone. This is a Revelate Ranger bag medium on a size Large Wozo. Decent fit IMHO. I did eventually put a rubber band around the nose of the bag as I felt it widened out too much and would hit my knees in out of saddle pedaling.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-015.jpg

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-013.jpg

I got stupid fast shipping and a solid deal from Bike Hub Shop.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    [QUOTE=Bikemusher;13917716]

I had the first green Wozo and tried to fit 4.5" Barbs on it and experienced rubbing as you are experiencing. I broke that frame and the new warrantied purple frame actually fits the Barbs on 80 mm Jackalopes as I've been riding it a lot for the past month or so and am now confident that it will work. Tight but no rub. Yes, it is slammed back as far as it goes with nothing to spare. I daydream about having a 4.5" Gnarwhal back there. Apparently, it is so close that it works for some frames but not others.
    Thanks for the comment - at least I know I'm not totally crazy or have a strange frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    [QUOTE=GusM;13922870]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemusher View Post

Thanks for the comment - at least I know I'm not totally crazy or have a strange frame.
    Pretty sure we're all crazy and the Wozo is a strange frame (one of the best)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    I had Walt of Waltworks fabricate me a steel 510mm axle to crown fork for my Wozo build. It's at the powder coater as I type.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	1228254
    Have you had a chance to ride it yet? A friend (actually a student of Walt) is building me a very similar steel fork. I was also planning to go with 510mm A-C.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Shameless plug, please delete if not okay

Looking for an XL frame or complete if anyone has one.
    I'd buy a new one but the spec sheet looks like they grabbed whatever was leftover and made it work.

Thanks
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Shameless plug, please delete if not okay

Looking for an XL frame or complete if anyone has one.
    I'd buy a new one but the spec sheet looks like they grabbed whatever was leftover and made it work.

Thanks
    Bicycle Express in Waterbury, VT has one. Not sure about shipping etc. I'm 10 minutes away and could arrange the shipping if you need. It's last years bike and priced at $2000. I think it's on pinkbike.

I did see that one on PB. Looking for the 27.5 version. May have to wait for next years model to see if they update the component spec. Thanks!

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Got a quick run on the fat set-up.
    483 a-to-c rigid fork
    D5 front D4 rear
    175mm x9 gxp cranks
    = Pedal strike city

Doesn't help that all of the roots are still exposed from the one whole inch of snow we have had this year in Anchorage.
    I do love how the bike handles though.
    Taking an 1" off the chainstay length compared to my last fat bike makes a huge difference.
    Didn't spin out on some icy climbs that others had a hard time with. Siting on the rear tire helps those studs bite a little more methinks.

I'm gonna need to find the elusive Sram Fat4 GXP 165mm cranks
    or
    a 120mm mastadon
    or
    Both

Looking to buy either one if someone is holding.
    Lower headset cup for a Cane Creek angleset would add about 12mm to the lower stack height = 495mm. You'd need the lower cup (EC56) and gimbal ( 52mm - For 1.5" Bearings) Universal Cycles has them. Also the Bontrager Haru carbon fork from the Farley has 490mm axle to crown. With the CC lower cup it would be around 502mm.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 01-05-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just scored a couple of Jumbo Jim 4.4 SS at Universal Cycles and a multi tool for $145 shipped. Tires worked out to be $61 each. Needed a taller rear for some additional bottom bracket clearance along with the new Mastodon AC to even out the geometry. They had an additional 10% off and free shipping if the order was over $150 before the discount, hence the multitool.

mtbr member
    Have you had a chance to ride it yet? A friend (actually a student of Walt) is building me a very similar steel fork. I was also planning to go with 510mm A-C.
    Itís still not built yet. Maybe this week!
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

mtbr member
    Much happier now.
    Manitou Mastodon Pro 120mm
    Found the limits of the D5 in front
    Might bump it to 130mm
    Might look for a Wrathchild and move the d5 to the back
    Nice day for a bike ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm Replacement Frame

Had a 2017 Wozo took it in to LBS in December for tune up and they noticed some cracks starting to form around the wields on the seat stays just like the photoís in previous thread. LBS got a hold of Kona replacement frame came in a 2018 Wozo, no 2019 left for warranty process!!! Havenít seen any 2018 frames with the failures on the wields so hoping this one lasts lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-d18888db-2c72-444f-bd30-e8cd96d181b3.jpg  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    [QUOTE=Wozo;13958034Havenít seen any 2018 frames with the failures on the wields...[/QUOTE]

sorry, you are still F'd...

i still think a good welder can fix that up easy peasy. Kona factory must have some bad filler material or gas or something...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Wow not that surprising since Kona didnít correct the issue on the 2018 frames. Purple 2019 frames they welded a small plate between the seat stays more reinforcement. Well hopefully ride it until July/August go threw the warranty and youíll get a nice 2020 frame!! It will be interesting to see in 2019 if more 2018 frames show up with the same failures around the wields. My LBS fought hard to get me a 2019 frame but Kona refused to break a full bike down and take the loss so I got a 2018 one instead. All got too me I just ride and if it fails get another one lol!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Odd, all 19 purple frames i have seen look identical to 18 and 17 frames. I did not measure tubing or tube thickness though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

2019 Wozo Frame

Odd, all 19 purple frames i have seen look identical to 18 and 17 frames. I did not measure tubing or tube thickness though.
    The 2019 frame I saw was a LG with a small plate welded between the seat stays for extra support. I assume LG fames and ExLG will have this. I know medium frame did not have the plate. I suppose Kona warranty replacement of the 2017 frames were mostly LG and up because you have bigger riders?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozo View Post
    The 2019 frame I saw was a LG with a small plate welded between the seat stays for extra support. I assume LG fames and ExLG will have this. I know medium frame did not have the plate.
    here is a 2019 XL frame that was delivered few days ago. no extra bracing compared to the original, looks literally the same as the 2017 frame it was replacing.

i know of two others locally, a 17' L and an 18' XL that should have replacements soon. there is another 18' medium around, and his frame is still good. but, his bike is dirty, so he may have a surprise when he cleans it... :P

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Your right no extra plate! Interesting Iím in Canada and Kona USA and Canada are a little different. USA defiantly gets more inventory, there are no frames of 2019 to be had here. Iím sure Kona will be producing more and maybe they will will have the plate? Your frame maybe produced on initial production from last August? Sounds like Kona replacing wozo frames like bubble gum good for awhile, throw it out get a new one lol! It unbelievable how many frames have they replaced 50-100 now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    [QUOTE= It unbelievable how many frames have they replaced 50-100 now?[/QUOTE]

That is quite a bit of speculation....I am 225 lbs on an xl. No apparent issues but will look at it again. In anycase, I bought mine new for their replacment warranty. Good to see they are honoring without issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Iím not sure how many frames they have replaced but jut from this forum looks like 10 plus frames easy. Imagine how many others are out there? Replaced 2 at my LBS of the 2017 model. Kona warranty process is great hopefully 2020 Wozo problems has been fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Full winter mode!

Folks -

I was having some trouble fitting the 27.5 x 4.5 barbs on 80mm rims in my frame without rubbing. Seems like it works for some and not others. I really wanted to run the big hoops, so I designed and had made some dropout inserts with 10mm more rearward offset. They turned out well and so far so good.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0621.jpg

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0623.jpg

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0622.jpg

Also - I wanted a rigid fork for winter, but was having difficulty finding a 510ish A-C to keep the geom similar. I stumbled across a lower headset cup extender from niner (+15mm) and paired that with a 490 A-C crown fork. So when I put the Mastadon back in, it will be a little more slack, but the rigid fork seems to be spot on. Again, so far so good.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_0628.jpg

I'll report back on how it goes... Thanks for the help and questions answered over the recent months.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    FYI - my 2019 XL has no extra plate either...

here is a 2019 XL frame that was delivered few days ago. no extra bracing compared to the original, looks literally the same as the 2017 frame it was replacing.

i know of two others locally, a 17' L and an 18' XL that should have replacements soon. there is another 18' medium around, and his frame is still good. but, his bike is dirty, so he may have a surprise when he cleans it... :P

Your bike sucks
    FYI - my 2019 XL has no extra plate either...
    Not saying a bracing plate wouldn't help, but tbh the cracks we've seen look to be from a welding issue vs. an inherent structural design problem.

mtbr member
    Any Wozo owners run a D5 in the rear?
    If so where are the sliders, prefer to run mine slammed or a few mm out.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Keep seeing one of the original purple ones at my lbs heavily discounted. ... such a rad color

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskrider View Post
    Keep seeing one of the original purple ones at my lbs heavily discounted. ... such a rad color
    "Original" purple one? Purple is the 3rd year, the current model...

mtbr member
    "Original" purple one? Purple is the 3rd year, the current model...
    Well I'm totally out of it. Thought it was an older model since it was discounted. Regardless a rad bike!

aka bOb
    I will have a medium frame and other bits up for sale shortly if anyone is looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-23732549_2135603249798516_971897404_o.jpg  

MSH
    mtbr member
    I will have a medium frame and other bits up for sale shortly if anyone is looking.
    What are you moving to curiously? Potentially interested in the "other bits" depending on what you have. I prefer that blue to the original green I have and in hindsight wish I would have gone Medium vs Large, but I've made the Large work for 2+ yrs now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bailing on the Wozo?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    What are you moving to curiously? Potentially interested in the "other bits" depending on what you have. I prefer that blue to the original green I have and in hindsight wish I would have gone Medium vs Large, but I've made the Large work for 2+ yrs now.
    Cool just let me know.
    Bailing on the Wozo?
    Not bailing on the Wozo, still the best fat bike frame ever build atleast that I have swung a leg over. But I am bailing on fat biking all together, medical issues have left me with eternal cold feet and just don't want to deal with it in the cold months any longer. After almost 9 years of fat biking throwing the towel in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Cool just let me know.

Not bailing on the Wozo, still the best fat bike frame ever build atleast that I have swung a leg over. But I am bailing on fat biking all together, medical issues have left me with eternal cold feet and just don't want to deal with it in the cold months any longer. After almost 9 years of fat biking throwing the towel in.
    Bummer, I wish you all the best.

mtbr member
    Bummer, I wish you all the best.
    Heated socks! Problem solved

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskrider View Post
    Heated socks! Problem solved
    Thanks but tried that and everything else for that matter. It's a nerve issue from a spinal injury and I have found other activities in the cold months and I don't need to deal with it any longer.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Cool just let me know.n.
    Do you have ads up yet? I checked classifieds eatlier snd didnít see anything up. Thanks!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Do you have ads up yet? I checked classifieds eatlier snd didnít see anything up. Thanks!
    No not yet, been to busy to take it apart. I'm hoping to take it apart next well and put it up on Facebook due to the amount of traffic there.

mtbr member
    Thanks but tried that and everything else for that matter. It's a nerve issue from a spinal injury and I have found other activities in the cold months and I don't need to deal with it any longer.
    Best of luck! I have an idea of how you feel. My hands freeze even in pogies with heated gloves sometimes if it's minus 30C

MSH
    mtbr member
    No not yet, been to busy to take it apart. I'm hoping to take it apart next well and put it up on Facebook due to the amount of traffic there.
    Sounds good. Sent you PM on what I would potentially be interested in. Thanks!

The White Jeff W
    So, once again I realize that i should just build my bikes from the frame up vs buying complete. I picked this up a few weeks ago as a new leftover and quickly realized that (for me) a suspension fork is overkill on what will primarily be a snow bike and started changing stuff.

The fork is a Bontrager Haru Pro carbon - it's suspension corrected for a 100mm fork so it seemed like the logical choice. Picked it up on ebay brand new with the Maxle and carbon compression steerer plug for $150.

The wheels are Mulefut rims laced to Hope hubs with 4.8 Minions front and rear (tubeless, of course).

Ever buy something you didn't need just because the price was so good you couldn't pass it up? Well that explains the XT brakes. I've had these sitting around for awhile waiting for a project. They were set up Euro style but I had to shorten the lines anyways so it was no big deal to switch the levers around.

The seatpost is a Pacific Northwest Cascade dropper. Coil instead of air. Nice piece. Spank Spoon saddle.

Everything else is stock.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-wozo1.jpg

What did I do with the parts off the Wozo? Put them on my 2015 Farley, which is now for sale. Nice coincidence how the colors match.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-tfarley1.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looks good Jeff, and great deal on that carbon fork! The suspension fork is nice if you get a second set of non-fat wheels and tires, but I think it's probably overkill in the snow. What's your riding impressions compared to your Farley?

The White Jeff W
    I haven't really gotten enough miles on it yet to say and haven't ridden it yet with the Haru fork except around the neighborhood on pavement. The Farley was the best handling bike I've ever owned (any bike, not just fat) so the bar is set pretty high.

I have a B-plus set up that I used on the Farley for summer riding so I'm good there.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Picked up my 2019 warranty replacement for my 2017 after the seat stay welds cracked. Noticed the design change. It must have been after the initial run because Iíve seen pictures of 2019 on here that donít look like that I think. Medium frame.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-48454675-9798-4e13-a5e2-e2a7345c9ede.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Looks good Kona replaced mine with a 2018 frame. 2020 Wozo going back to green colour!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looks good Kona replaced mine with a 2018 frame. 2020 Wozo going back to green colour!
    Well,hoping for a frame only option at least in 2020,would prefer a more subtle color myself (-; if black it could have prominent decals though. Otherwise I will keep riding my Wo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The purple isnít bad and I think it will grow on me but I really liked my 2017 green. The shop gave me the option of waiting for the 2020 but I wasnít too sold on that green.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-7d8a4ce3-af71-470b-9b83-5589ce8ce4e8.jpg

WNC Native
    2020 a similar shade of green as the original or different?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    2020 a similar shade of green as the original or different?
    Itís much different. Dark green, gloss finish.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by TJayL View Post
    Itís much different. Dark green, gloss finish.
    Interesting, I actually like the sound of that. I think they should bring back the frame only option again as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Well, I was hoping it wouldn't happen, but it did...

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-img_2551.jpg

It's at the bike shop, will get a new frame.

The White Jeff W
    Good thing they put that gusset there, lol. Sorry to see that. The rear end on these bikes is definitely flexy. When I have my 4.8 Minion on the back it buzzes the chainstay when pedaling.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have a brand new 2018 XL frame I'm thinking about selling. That plus life has me rethinking my next bike build. Just gauging interest.

Dang it. I just bought a used 2018 complete last week!! I would have much rather had just a frame.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll go quick, really the only FB out there that fit my personal needs, long reach, etc.

GLWTS

mtbr member
    Put the studs away finally. Can't wait to work the dirt!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Put the studs away finally. Can't wait to work the dirt!

Looks great! What tires are you running?

Here is mine in summer mode. 29 x 2.6 Maxxis Rekon on Spank 350 rims.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    If anyone is looking for a XL frame. I'm selling a brand new one. It's on pinkbike, but I would knock a few more bucks off if you're a mtbr member. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbo View Post
    If anyone is looking for a XL frame. I'm selling a brand new one. It's on pinkbike, but I would knock a few more bucks off if you're a mtbr member. Thanks.
    Still selling ? Can it run 29 x 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Can the 2018 ( blue ) run 29 x 3 and 27.5 x 3.8?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Im pretty sure it can run just about any tirr you want. Theres a 29x2.6 up a few posts.

Still for sale. It's on pinkbike at its lowest price currently. Fatbike popularity has kind of leveled off it seems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Im pretty sure it can run just about any tirr you want. Theres a 29x2.6 up a few posts.

Still for sale. It's on pinkbike at its lowest price currently. Fatbike popularity has kind of leveled off it seems.
    Just the frame ?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just the frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just the frame
    Did you not like the bike ?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Check your pm's. I dont want to continue to clog up this thread. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Kona Woo

Kona is introducing the Kona Woo for 2020 models. Its got the Wozo frame with rigid carbon fork. Wozo is still available also for 2020 looks like no more Kona Wo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-d5c2e14f-0920-43cb-84b9-ea22d4f5609a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

2020 Kona Wozo

2020 Kona Wozo back to green, 27.5 wheels looks like upgraded to a 1x12 drivetrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-14d8ce6f-f0a0-4000-8cb5-e5239a446405.jpg  

WNC Native
    Hrmm, since they are using the same frame for both..... I wonder if they will bring back a frame only option?

mgd
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I pm'd a couple guys in this thread, but I'm curious if anyone out there is happily running 27.5+ sizes, like:
    27.5x3.0 or 27.5x3.25

Considering a lighter, ~50mm wheelset and I'm reluctant to go 29x3.0.

Other thought is 27.5x3.8 hodag on the 50mm wheel.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mgd View Post
    I pm'd a couple guys in this thread, but I'm curious if anyone out there is happily running 27.5+ sizes, like:
    27.5x3.0 or 27.5x3.25

Thanks
    I love Hodag had them on a Farley - great speedy tire ...

Why not 29x3?

mgd
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    I love Hodag had them on a Farley - great speedy tire ...

Why not 29x3?

Just kinda had it in my head that:
    A) smaller 27.5 rim and sub 3.8Ē tire would be the most significant weight difference.
    B) smaller wheel/tire would (possibly) result in a bit more agile bike in the 3 seasons.
    C) feels like 29x3 is referenced often as a good bikepacking size. Iím not looking for that. (I can be convinced that itís not!)😀

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

[/QUOTE]

Hell yes! I love my bike set-up like that! So fun!

strider
    Nov 2010
    27.5x3.0 or 27.5x3.25

Thanks
    I have run 27 x 3.0s (Nobby Nics) on i45s and found it too low of Bottom Bracket and a little too twitch for my liking. I put some Minion 3.8s on there and it was huge improvement in BB height and kick-ass fun, bomber ride. I would definitely encourage your interest in the 3.8 option (Hodag or other). It also increases your range of terrain, conditions and seasons that can be ridden (including mild snow or packed snow conditions).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just kinda had it in my head that:
    A) smaller 27.5 rim and sub 3.8Ē tire would be the most significant weight difference.
    B) smaller wheel/tire would (possibly) result in a bit more agile bike in the 3 seasons.
    C) feels like 29x3 is referenced often as a good bikepacking size. Iím not looking for that. (I can be convinced that itís not!)
    I am currently running Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 tires on 30mm internal rims. Really happy with the bike geometry and handling. I think the BB height is fairly close to my 26x4.6 winter setup. Tire clearance is good with chainstays in the shortest position. I like the 2.6 tires for my mostly-smooth (and sometimes jumpy) local trails. I can see wanting more tire if you're in chunky terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I currently have 3 wheelsets for my wozo. 27.5x5o with Hodags, 27.5x80 with vanhelgs, and 29x45 with Bombolonis. At 225lbs I had a hard time finding the sweet spot of cush and rim dings/holes on the 27.5x50 rims. I prefer either the full 27.5x80 vanhelgs or the 29x45 with 3.0's. I have set pr's on both the 29's snd hodags. I just hurt shoulder and rehabing and going to go to the vanhelga front/ hodag rear on the 80mm's for the rest of the summer and will report back. Looking forward to the cush and mid speed confidence...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    2020 Kona Wozo back to green, 27.5 wheels looks like upgraded to a 1x12 drivetrain.
    One other thing of note for the Wozo, the rear hub spacing is 197mm now vs. 177. So the new frames can run all the different tire sizes in the rear. Also changes the Q factor I'm sure. I also have to wonder about warranty frames for 2019s and older going forward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Can the 17-18 Wozo run 29 x 3?

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Whahappen View Post
    One other thing of note for the Wozo, the rear hub spacing is 197mm now vs. 177. So the new frames can run all the different tire sizes in the rear. Also changes the Q factor I'm sure. I also have to wonder about warranty frames for 2019s and older going forward.
    Interesting, redesign to try to eliminate the cracking issue and be more universal?

WNC Native

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Is the wozo really 197 rear now? Or was it a website mistake??
    I emailed kona for confirmation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The 2018 blue is the best color - theyíve gone Salsa bad now ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Blue in only the best color if you like blue. Green is the best color if you like green. Purple is the best color if you watched Barney.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Replacement Frame 2018 mobel
    The 2018 blue is the best color - theyíve gone Salsa bad now ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-54729919_398143364298900_2261853185368915968_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Can the 17-18 Wozo run 29 x 3?

Yes it can, just not in the most slammed chainstay position.
    But a 29x2.8 Terraveil Coronado fits perfect with the stays max short

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yes it can, just not in the most slammed chainstay position.
    But a 29x2.8 Terraveil Coronado fits perfect with the stays max short
    Only problem is I need rims that fit 177x12 pain In the ass to have built

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Interesting, redesign to try to eliminate the cracking issue and be more universal?
    I'd assume its so they only have to make one frame now, more than any weakness issue.

Edit: The price of the wozo went up, but gets 12 speeds and a dropper now. I musta been rather tired last night looking at that website :P

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Kona tech support & facebook chat both confirmed the Wozo is now 197 rear starting 2020+.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Whahappen View Post
    I'd assume its so they only have to make one frame now, more than any weakness issue.
    Nope, they are still making 2 fat frames. 2020 Wo is on the site. So now they are 3 fat bike models.

Your bike sucks
    Kona tech support & facebook chat both confirmed the Wozo is now 197 rear starting 2020+.
    If it brings more tire clearance, some will rejoice...But I'm not one of them. Unless they pulled a Trek and kept the Qfactor the same - this is a downgrade for the fit and handling.

mgd
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What's the trick to removing the front axle on the mastadon?

About 10 months ago I converted both wheels to tubeless. Since then I've put on a couple thousand miles in all conditions.

Today I pulled the rear wheel and swapped the minion to a hodag.

I attempted to pull the front, and the allen wrench slipped. Found a tighter angle and put the allen wrench all the way in; no luck.

So what gives? Is it corroded in place? Or is there a trick to removing the Hexlock axle?

Mike

Your bike sucks

So what gives? Is it corroded in place? Or is there a trick to removing the Hexlock axle?

Mike
    No trick is nec. just turn the inner hex. Maybe yours is corroded like you said? If you want a sanity check - take a pic of what you're doing.

Since bumping the thread - anyone buy a new Wozo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hi all!

I have the 2019 Wozo just got it and prepping for winter riding in Ottawa. From talking to local riders studs are a must so my question is whatís the best tires that will fit?

I have been looking at these

https://borealisbikes.ca/products/te...11778495545388

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgd
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

New wheels

Nextie Jungle Fox 27.5s with tubeless Hodags, and e13 9-46t cassette.

Size medium, 32.0 lbs with the dropper and platform pedals.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-wozo.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Nextie Jungle Fox 27.5s with tubeless Hodags, and e13 9-46t cassette.

Size medium, 32.0 lbs with the dropper and platform pedals.

Name:	wozo.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1287073
    Nice bike!! What width tires have you got on there? Also are they aftermarket rims or just stickers? Looks really good!

mgd
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wheels = Nextie Jungle Fox https://www.nextie.com/plus-jungle-fox-52mm-NXT27JF52

Tires = Hodag --> 27.5x3.8"

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone with a 2018 (Blue) frame:

*** What is the maximum size 27.5 rim/tire combo that can fit on the back? ***
    (Looking to fit Gnarwhal 27.5x4.5 on a 65-80mm rim)

Currently am running 26x65mm with 4.6 Dunderbeist and 27.5x50mm with 3.8 FBR but really want a better B-fat setup with maximum float.

Also running Fox34 which can fit 26x4.6 Flowbeist on a 65mm rim, but will probably upgrade to Mastodon Pro 120 to use 27.5x4.6 or larger tire...

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-0-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Anyone with a 2018 (Blue) frame:

*** What is the maximum size 27.5 rim/tire combo that can fit on the back? ***
    (Looking to fit Gnarwhal 27.5x4.5 on a 65-80mm rim)

Currently am running 26x65mm with 4.6 Dunderbeist and 27.5x50mm with 3.8 FBR but really want a better B-fat setup with maximum float.

Also running Fox34 which can fit 26x4.6 Flowbeist on a 65mm rim, but will probably upgrade to Mastodon Pro 120 to use 27.5x4.6 or larger tire...

Name:	0 (1).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	341.3 KB 
ID:	1290423
    I have the 2019 donít think thereís any spacing differences.. on a 27.5 4Ē will be the widest youíll be fitting front and rear. Unless you down size to a 26 which will buy more space

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah I've heard of others getting the 27.5x4.5 Barbegazi to work with the sliders back, not sure what rim width.

The 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhal should *just* fit on a rim that is maybe less than 80mm, but the clearances at the chainstays are likely too close for practical use. As a thought experiment, I mounted the 4.5 Gnarwhal on a 50mm rim (yeah, I know, certainly not a good combo for actual riding) and there is in fact a reasonable amount of space on all sides. Maybe a 65mm or 70mm rim could provide better profile/support and still clear the stays, but I am more inclined to opt for an 80mm rim and VanHelga 27.5x4.0.

Definitely want to run the Gnarwhal 27.5 x 4.5 with 80mm rim on the front though... guess it's time to try another Mastodon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Yeah I've heard of others getting the 27.5x4.5 Barbegazi to work with the sliders back, not sure what rim width.

The 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhal should *just* fit on a rim that is maybe less than 80mm, but the clearances at the chainstays are likely too close for practical use. As a thought experiment, I mounted the 4.5 Gnarwhal on a 50mm rim (yeah, I know, certainly not a good combo for actual riding) and there is in fact a reasonable amount of space on all sides. Maybe a 65mm or 70mm rim could provide better profile/support and still clear the stays, but I am more inclined to opt for an 80mm rim and VanHelga 27.5x4.0.

Definitely want to run the Gnarwhal 27.5 x 4.5 with 80mm rim on the front though... guess it's time to try another Mastodon.
    Go 4.5Ē front and 3.8Ē rear gnarwhals.

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    First post ever, creeped the wozo threads intensely over time. Just wanted to share my Kona Wozo. Bought end of September 2019 and put on 2823 km on it. Had to upgrade the rear hub to Hope after two Formula hubs failing. Winter trails, Summer trails, shuttle runs and beaches in Atlantic Canada.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have the original 2017 WoZo with the Race Face PF92 bottom bracket with the Race Face Aeffect SL Cranks. Got confused on which of the replacement Bottom Brackets are going to fit the SL Cranks.

I've found both recommended on this thread. Would very much appreciate a help in figuring out which to order.

Thanks

PressFit 41mm ABEC-3 Fat Bike BB for 24/22mm (SRAM) Cranks - Black

BB86/92 Thread Together ABEC-3 BB for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks - Black

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So it sounds like the rear could take a true 27.5x4" tire- maybe something like the gnarwhal with studs?

What about the fork- does anyone know if it's the STD or EXT version? Wondering if it would clear a 4" tire as well.

Finally, is the q-factor any different between the 2019 and 2020 models?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could shed some light on these questions!

(edited to ask about q-factor)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    So it sounds like the rear could take a true 27.5x4" tire- maybe something like the gnarwhal with studs?

What about the fork- does anyone know if it's the STD or EXT version? Wondering if it would clear a 4" tire as well.

Finally, is the q-factor any different between the 2019 and 2020 models?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could shed some light on these questions!

(edited to ask about q-factor)
    I've got the 2019 (purple) and I'm running Terrene Cake Eaters studded ~ 27.5 x 4.5 in front and 27.5 x 4 in back on the stock 80 mm rims with no clearance issues. The 4.5 doesn't fit in the back even with the sliding dropouts all the way out.

I believe the fork is the EXT version.
    Last edited by jt-nr; 11-15-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have 3 sets of wheels for my Wozo- 29 x 2.6, 27.5 x 3.8 and 26 x 4.0, all on 177 hubs. Sad that this rear spacing has gone away. Hopefully my frame holds up for a couple of more seasons.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I have 3 sets of wheels for my Wozo- 29 x 2.6, 27.5 x 3.8 and 26 x 4.0, all on 177 hubs. Sad that this rear spacing has gone away. Hopefully my frame holds up for a couple of more seasons.
    local guy is bringing in his orig green wozo in for a frame swap in a few days. He reached out to Kona, and they told him he is on his own getting a replacement wheel... sure, they warranty the frame, but give the customer a bill for changes in part specs. that sucks.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Need to order, and would very much appreciate some help. TIA

I have the original 2017 WoZo with the Race Face PF92 bottom bracket with the Race Face Aeffect SL Cranks. Got confused on which of the replacement Bottom Brackets are going to fit the SL Cranks.

I've found both recommended on this thread. Would very much appreciate a help in figuring out which to order.

Thanks

PressFit 41mm ABEC-3 Fat Bike BB for 24/22mm (SRAM) Cranks - Black

BB86/92 Thread Together ABEC-3 BB for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks - Black

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Need to order, and would very much appreciate some help. TIA
    I believe this is the one you need: https://wheelsmfg.com/pressfit-41mm-...nks-black.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    I believe this is the one you need: https://wheelsmfg.com/pressfit-41mm-...nks-black.html
    Thanks. I appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Is anyone still riding one of the original green Wozos? I'm wondering how extensive the seat stay cracking issue is.

I pulled my old green frame out and built it up today. Noticed that the paint was cracked around the seatstay/seattube welds, but when I sanded the paint off I couldn't see any cracking in the metal. Not really sure what to do other than keep riding and see what happens.
    Last edited by Shinkers; 01-06-2020 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    FWIW it is cracked. Showed back up after riding around the yard for a minute.

Your bike sucks
    Eeeek. Curse of the Wozo. After reading your post, I decided to re-re-re-check mine. I have an what on another frameset would be an inconspicuous line on the right stay just like yours. Grrrr. I'm still within 3 year warranty so maybe something will happen but sort of anxious since I don't want the new model w/ 197 stays.

I'll post up a pic tomorrow for posterity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    2020 model has 197 rear hub but they also redesigned the bottom bracket to the chainstays, so yes you get a new replacement frame but will have to get a new rear hub, bottom bracket, and maybe new cranks too. Shop replaced a couple Wozo frames with the new 2020 model and cost $800 Canadian just to get the bike riding again!!!

Your bike sucks
    Yeah, that's an issue - if they can't do NOS. Like the other guy, I have multiple wheelsets and the new Q-factor is straight up deal breaker. Hate to put it out there but I'd prob sell the replacement frame and commission something custom.

Edit - I assumed diff BB when they released the new 2020 w/ 197. But it still lists same BB - SRAM GXP PF121. Does anyone know if 177 cranks fit/clear? Still an issue given the wheel rebuild tho - but tbh, it's more about the q-factor change for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Visiting my bike shop a 2020 model was in the stand replacement frame for a customer and i was asking the mechanic about it and they had to replace hub, bottom bracket and he told me the cranks too cost the guy $800 Canadian and the cranks were SRAM Gx just to get the Wozo going. My frame has been replaced once with a 2018 blue frame but now I am thinking of replacing it with a Surly Wednesday. Still gonna need some new parts but at least the frame is bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Yeah, that's an issue - if they can't do NOS. Like the other guy, I have multiple wheelsets and the new Q-factor is straight up deal breaker. Hate to put it out there but I'd prob sell the replacement frame and commission something custom.

Edit - I assumed diff BB when they released the new 2020 w/ 197. But it still lists same BB - SRAM GXP PF121. Does anyone know if 177 cranks fit/clear? Still an issue given the wheel rebuild tho - but tbh, it's more about the q-factor change for me.
    I don't know specifically about the 2020 Wozo compatibility, but I can say as an owner of a Motobecane NightTrain/Sturgis frameset that people have used 177 cranks on that bike, which has a 100mm BB and 197 rear spacing (crank arms just barely clear the chainstays). So I suppose it may be possible. All depends how width of the BB and chainstays...

Your bike sucks
    Maybe a bit premature in last rites which gives hope as I really like this bike and don't feel like undertaking a new build.

Anyway - crappy, blurry pic but here's what it looked like after scrubbing it out. I did chip away the surrounding paint and didn't see a crack. Rode it probably around 20mi... busted out the magnifiers and still don't see a crack.

I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Unless it fatally breaks, I'm going to ride it thru the winter no matter what. I can deal with a potential warranty, sale, custom whatever once we get to warmer season. I'll post up if anything develops.

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-011.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Lucky

Will consider myself lucky. Got about 600 miles on mine and I am 220#'s. Ride both as 27.5 fat and 29+. I sure hope it keeps going, but lifetime warranty is nice. Swapping a hub and BB is not to big a thing for the new frame, not sure that would bother me much.

Not changing to another bike. At 6'4" the XL is huge and perfect. Not other fat comes even close to fit.

...sure wish i could figure rotation and mtbr...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-pic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm on a 2020 Kona Woo now so if anyone is looking for a 29+ wheelset to fit older Wozo (150 x 177) I've got a Mikesee wheelset in great shape. I45 scrapers, salsa hubs, xr4 front chupac rear

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have a Medium blue Wozo that I would love to swap the frame for a Small. Anyone looking for a Medium? It is my girlfriend's bike. Low miles and not ridden very hard. As long as it is the 177 frame I don't care which year. Let me know... Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rueger007 View Post
    I'm on a 2020 Kona Woo now so if anyone is looking for a 29+ wheelset to fit older Wozo (150 x 177) I've got a Mikesee wheelset in great shape. I45 scrapers, salsa hubs, xr4 front chupac rear
    Is there any chance you could post a pic of your bottom bracket and chainring area? This 197 thing is throwing me for a loop and I'm trying to see if I can still use a 177 crank with a different chainring.

Edit: Never mind. There are pretty good pics on the website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'll give it a whirl tomorrow with the pic. I can't imagine your feet clearing the chain stays with a 177 crank as my size 13's hit them once in a while
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-resized_20191211_193120.jpeg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-resized_20191211_193408.jpeg  

Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-resized_20191211_193728.jpeg  

Last edited by rueger007; 12-13-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: add photos

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by rueger007 View Post
    I'll give it a whirl tomorrow with the pic. I can't imagine your feet clearing the chain stays with a 177 crank as my size 13's hit them once in a while
    When I was processing on this it occurred to me - wouldn't the chainline be pretty bad even if they clear? I assume 10mm outboard on the hub on the drive side - would warrant similar realignment on the chainring for the chainline. Considering that people fuss about the diff of 49mm/52mm - this situation feels like a country mile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    10mm is a lot for chainline, and I don't see any way that the ring would be able to move 10mm inwards looking at the pics on Kona's website.

I'm pretty much banking on buying a new crank. Oh well. This is an opportunity to maybe build some wheels that I actually want (narrower for running Hodags). Hopefully any cracking issues are resolved with the chainstay/BB redesign, limiting flex through the rear triangle...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I believe the people using the 177 cranks with 197 axle spacing flip the chainring to make up for some of the chainline discrepancy. If you are using mostly the shorter gears (more teeth) vs the taller gears, than this might be ideal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    just attached photos of 2020 Woo to my post

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Crankset input

Howdy all. I picked up a 2020 wozo recently and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far. Out of the gate I swapped out the nx drivetrain for my shimano 11-speed with an 11-46 cassette. I also swapped the brakes, tires, and installed my cockpit & saddle.

I've been having some occasional knee pain while or after riding. It's not tendinitis- if I stop and stretch it goes away. So I think it's muscular and related to body position, probably q-factor. I also want to switch to a 170mm crankset (I've been running these for years without issue) and also move to a smaller chainring. This last bit is easier said than done though- SRAM doesn't make a chainring smaller than 30t in the 6mm outboard offset needed to clear the chainstay. I see a couple of options, and am posting here to see if anyone has tried them.

1. Get a new SRAM crankset and use a 26t chainring with 0mm offset and hope it clears the chainstay
    2. Get a new SRAM crankset and use a wolftooth camo chainring
    3. Get a new raceface crankset, BB, and chainring with a 6mm offset (because RF chainrings aren't directional, they can be reversed)

Anyone have experience with any of these ideas? Emphasis is on low q-factor and ease of the switch... Thanks in advance. Also, here's a shot from the wild!
    Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+ to 26 x 4.8!-52188f9e-be58-43ca-a155-6cedadb9e001.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'd be interested in the front wheel if you'd consider splitting them up.

(replying to rueger007 regarding the 29+ wheelset)
    Last edited by goose8; 12-28-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    I'd be interested in the front wheel if you'd consider splitting them up.

(replying to rueger007 regarding the 29+ wheelset)
    I'm gonna CL the Wheelset and if no bites then rebuild rear with a 197. thx

Anyone interested I have a complete XL Wozo over on the PB buy/sell.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    FWIW, I am selling my 2020 Wozo frame. Hasn't been taken out of the box.

Kona was great about warrantying the frame and gave me no problems, I just couldn't justify the cost of new wheels and crank when I could get a decent price on a Surly Wednesday frame. If someone is interested in a brand new 2020 Large Wozo frame, let me know and we can talk price.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice work!
    Iíd be interested in buying some of these if theyíre not TOO spendy.
    Can you make more easily?

Folks -

I was having some trouble fitting the 27.5 x 4.5 barbs on 80mm rims in my frame without rubbing. Seems like it works for some and not others. I really wanted to run the big hoops, so I designed and had made some dropout inserts with 10mm more rearward offset. They turned out well and so far so good.

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	1234889

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	1234890

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	1234891

Also - I wanted a rigid fork for winter, but was having difficulty finding a 510ish A-C to keep the geom similar. I stumbled across a lower headset cup extender from niner (+15mm) and paired that with a 490 A-C crown fork. So when I put the Mastadon back in, it will be a little more slack, but the rigid fork seems to be spot on. Again, so far so good.

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	1234892

I'll report back on how it goes... Thanks for the help and questions answered over the recent months.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I recently received my 2020 wozo xl, and I can say for a fact that there is plenty of room to run BIG tires. I switched out the 3.8 minions to 4.5 cake eaters and thereís plenty of room, even with the dropouts adjusted all the way in!
    Iím very happy with my purchase.
    I do wish I could have just bought a frame set so I could have built it up with a bit sweeter kit, but oh well...
    Dreaming of a carbon wheel set, and running this bike year round (3.5-3.8 summer, 4.5 winter).

mtbr member
    Hello

can you help me?
    Does anybody know what si the max insertion length available for a dropper on a small Wozo frame?
    thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Same question. Iíve got a 2019 Wozo, Medium, in desperate need of a dropper. Can anyone tell me which size Crankbros Highline I should order? Iíve never used/installed a dropper before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleman View Post
    Hello

can you help me?
    Does anybody know what si the max insertion length available for a dropper on a small Wozo frame?
    thank you
    I have a 30" pants inseam, which is probably long for a small size, but fits my T-Rex Arms.

I just checked my dropper, which is a Brand X (works very well). The main tube,not including the actuating mechanism, was able to go into the seat tube 6" or 152mm.

Still have my 125mm Brand X Dropper and just checked that. With the 6" of insertion, the top of the Dropper was 9 1/2" (241mm) from top of seat tube to the top of the Dropper post.

I had exactly the opposite problem you have. The 125 mm Brand X Dropper did not allow me to raise the seat high enough so I went to the 150mm Brand X which allowed me to get to the 450mm seat tube I needed. I'm long legged for a small frame. The 150mm Dropper only had a 1/2" or so of play to fit. a 170mm would not insert deep enough.

Hope this helps you out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crash41984 View Post
    Same question. Iíve got a 2019 Wozo, Medium, in desperate need of a dropper. Can anyone tell me which size Crankbros Highline I should order? Iíve never used/installed a dropper before.
    Check my response to Jingleman. I think you can safely add 2" from what I measured on my small frame, so it would me 8" (203mm) of insertion. YMMV - this is a guess supposing they just added 2" and didn't change the angle of dangle for wheel clearance on a medium.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast