mtbr member

Kold Kutter Failure - Replacement Suggestions?

So I have a Lou front / Nate rear combo that I've put 3/8" Kold Kutter studs in. They are setup tubeless with split tube and Orange Seal. I love them and have been using them for a couple years now. Unfortunately the last two rides have resulted in me ripping studs out of the Nate. When that happens the Orange Seal is not plugging the hole. Now I take a few extra studs for trailside replacement but I'm loosing at least one stud on just about every ride now.

I'm thinking maybe these are just at the end of their service life. Anybody else have this problem? Is there anything else I should try that won't tear out?

Finally, are there any commercial studded tires these days that also do well in deep snow? I know studs aren't needed in deep snow but it's nice to have them when I encounter ice.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I had severe issue with kold kutters in rear. They give you traction to shred turns, but tear out of you do.

I gave up on them and switched to the 1/2" kutters and nylon nuts for retention on the inside. Best setup in the game. Takes more time though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Grip Studs is one alternative for studding a Nate.

A couple pre-studded 4" alternatives would be the Bontrager Gnarwahl or Terrene Wazia. A Wrathchild is another option if you can fit a tire that is a bit larger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    I had severe issue with kold kutters in rear. They give you traction to shred turns, but tear out of you do.

I gave up on them and switched to the 1/2" kutters and nylon nuts for retention on the inside. Best setup in the game. Takes more time though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    that sounds like it could work well.

I've had a lot of luck going at an angle with the kold kutters. You don't have to pierce the casing and they stay fast. And aren't as velcro like on the road.

Even on the crappiest tires. The snowshoe XL. Having the KK's like they are gave amazing traction. I've actually found that I like to use a combination of different studs for the different tires. There is no one solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kold Kutter Failure - Replacement Suggestions?-img_1935.jpg  

Kold Kutter Failure - Replacement Suggestions?-img_1934.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Sounds like an excellent option. Do you remember what size nylon nuts you used on the inside?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Grip Studs is one alternative for studding a Nate.

A couple pre-studded 4" alternatives would be the Bontrager Gnarwahl or Terrene Wazia. A Wrathchild is another option if you can fit a tire that is a bit larger.
    Thanks. Looking at the Wrathchild for the front. I would be better off with a 4" tire in the back. I may try something else with the Nates first though. The pre-studded tires are pricey!

All fat, all the time.
    I had same issue only in the rear tire. Front seems to be ok.
    I took out all the ones from rear and replaced with sheet metal screws from the inside.