KHS All Seaason 1000 1X conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

KHS All Seaason 1000 1X10 conversion

Hey guys,
    Currently have the 2015 KHS ATV 1000. Pretty entery level but I've been having fun on it none the less. Trying to save some weight on it (stock is close to 36.5 IBS) and I'd like to explore what it would take to convert this bad boy to 1X10 on a budget.

Totally new to the 1X10 conversion so appreciate any tips. Can I just remove the big outter ring from the crank and remove the front shifter, or is it a bit more complicated than that? The smaller ring is 24 tooth, and the larger is 38. Ideally if it's not too much cash and effort I'd get a new 30 tooth ring and put that up front. Casette is 11-36 so I should be okay on the climbs.

Current rear derailer is a SRAM X5, not sure if it's clutch or if it's mid/short cage.

Where do I begin? Thanks guys!
    Last edited by bikerfisher11; 02-25-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: New title

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would start by searching. There are a ton of threads about this, especially in the drivetrain forum.

It's not any different with big tires, except for playing with chain line.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1x10...obile&ie=UTF-8

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great, I'll start there, thanks!

mtbr member
    Also - if you're looking to shave weight, look into lighter tires & tubes. With just replacing the tubes with q-tubes 2..4-2.7 superlights - you can usually drop a pound of rotating weight for under $30.

Tires can really lighten a bike as well, but at higher $$$.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I'd start with a narrow wide 30 T chainring on the 104 bcd (if that's what you have). Keep your x5 derailleur. I rode this combination for a while and never dropped a chain. My wife still does with no issues. I don't think a clutch is as critical on a rigid bike. If you need more range, you could also throw on a 42T cog on the back or change to a Sunrace 10 speed 11-42 cassette. If you ride any deep snow, you can keep your granny and move the chain down manually if you need it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi Scot, thanks for the tube tip, it's a great idea. Do you happen to have a link where I can get a set of those q-tubes?

Chinman, thanks so much for your post, I was seriously looking for a clutch rear deraillure and your comment has saved me some serious $ which I can put towards a new chainring or cassette. I think my bcd is 104 like you mentioned. Will double check that and keep you guys posted.

Should be a fun project. I'm a complete newb when it comes to drivetrain work, so any other tips are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    Hi Scot, thanks for the tube tip, it's a great idea. Do you happen to have a link where I can get a set of those q-tubes?
    I like these guys:
    Q-Tubes Super Light 26" x 2.4-2.7" 32 mm Presta Valve Tube in Tree Fort Bikes Tubes (cat1531)

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I've had some robustness issues with the SLs. I use the standard Q-tubes 24" x 2.4-2.75". They weigh about the same as the 26 SLs but they are thicker. When over inflated they fill out nicely. Plus, if you decide to go split tube tubeless, you've got the kit you need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the good suggestions guys!
    Next questions:
    I've ordered some parts for the 1x conversion, going 30T single ring up front. I was messing around to figure out how to remove the crank and on the NDS there is what looks to be a preload cap for the pinch bolts. Not sure if this is the same type as shimano, but was curious how I undo this cap and put it back on? Pictures hopefully will help.
    Also, should I shorten the chain after the conversion? I run a standard 36 to 11 Casette, if so, how many links should come out? (SRAM powerchain I have a quick relealse link already installed)
    KHS All Seaason 1000 1X conversion-img_8564.jpgKHS All Seaason 1000 1X conversion-img_8569.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    Thanks for the good suggestions guys!
    Next questions:
    I've ordered some parts for the 1x conversion, going 30T single ring up front. I was messing around to figure out how to remove the crank and on the NDS there is what looks to be a preload cap for the pinch bolts. Not sure if this is the same type as shimano, but was curious how I undo this cap and put it back on? Pictures hopefully will help.
    Also, should I shorten the chain after the conversion? I run a standard 36 to 11 Casette, if so, how many links should come out? (SRAM powerchain I have a quick relealse link already installed)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8564.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	1052315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8569.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	1052317
    Unscrew pinch bolts. Then remove preload cap with an allen key by also unscrewing it. Reassemble in reverse.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Unscrew pinch bolts. Then remove preload cap with an allen key by also unscrewing it. Reassemble in reverse.
    Awesome, I feel like I missed something obvious, but I'm very new with drivetrains so thanks for this! Will try and it and get back to you guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi guys,
    Was starting the conversion tonight and ran into a snag, probably easily fixed. After I removed the non drive side crank, I noticed I have an external BB. In the videos on youtube I think they were demoing press fit bbs because they could just tap the drive side crank out of place (shimano hollowtek I think).

My guess is, I have to remove the external bb cup on the non drive side to allow the drive side crank to come free, correct?

The crappy part is I don't have a bb tool for external bb. Anyone know how to get the ebb cup losened without the tool? I do have one on order from amazon, should be here in a few days but was hoping to get our riding with the new 1x tomorrow.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You don"t have to remove the BB cup. Just pull the crank out. Get a rubber mallet if it is stuck and give it a light tap. Sometimes they stick a bit.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ya, tap it and give it a good yank, sometimes it takes a few, but it will come off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great, thanks guys!
    Will have to give it some elbow grease in the morning. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quick update.
    Thanks to your feedback I was able to complete the conversion this morning in about an hour. Really happy with it. All i have to do now is shorten the chain once I get a chain breaker. Going to ride it this afternoon and will provide some thoughts after some saddle time.
    Appreciate your help all.KHS All Seaason 1000 1X conversion-single-chainring-race-face.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So I put it through it's first run today.
    Really liking how quiet the bike runs, and also how crisp the shifting is.
    well worth the small inverstment and time, for a fat bike I don't think I'd ever go back.

Only downside to me (and my own fault) is I may have run too large of a front ring, I have just the right climbing gear on the last 36T cog on the casssete with the 30T front ring. The stock casette is 11-36 so I may get a better spread out back, but for now it's very usable, I just find myself in the last 2 cogs for the majority of the ride (twisty single track type stuff)