kevlar titanium reinforced rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

kevlar titanium reinforced rims

wait for 3rd image, looks like we have kevlar and titanium reinforced rims coming

mtbr member
    ...mmmm...luxurious...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: kevlar titanium reinforced rims

I'm holding out for the virgins hair fiber reinforced with diamond inlaid platinum.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    I'm holding out for the virgins hair fiber reinforced with diamond inlaid platinum.
    ultra, these are going to be produced soon, but availability will be very limited. If you want a set you need to forward me payment in full.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    That's not going to happen. I invented a cure for virginity when I was a young man and it's still available for suitable applicants. <script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/16de0d79/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I liked the "high Tg" claim, lol. I'm not sure your average rider is really going to expose a carbon bike's anything to more than 200F.

Anyway, what's this about Ti reinforced fiber? I don't see what you mean on their site. Sounds fun though.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    carbon titanium outer layer looks like

upload an image

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Sweet, I like it. Composites don't have to be just about weight weenie gear, they can also be used to make somewhat light tough-as-snot gear. I mean... kevlar or aramid -> bulletproof vests.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    i have heard of the plan of kevlar top layer for mtb wheels before.
    now what is the benefit of titanium in roadie rims?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    Road rims in particular I'm not exactly sure. Maybe it is a simple rim profile around which to form Ti sheet. I'm speculating.

Clydes like riding pavement too? *shrug*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I liked the "high Tg" claim, lol. I'm not sure your average rider is really going to expose a carbon bike's anything to more than 200F.

Anyway, what's this about Ti reinforced fiber? I don't see what you mean on their site. Sounds fun though.
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    Road bikes use this primitive but effective system where the brake pads squeeze directly on the rim itself. Using the brakes on a long hill can get the rims very hot. If you have a carbon braking surface you need to use special brake pads. I think having the titanium in there is an attempt to get a better braking surface.

But I'm no expert on this, I've never had carbon rims on a bike with rim brakes. I only know there are issues.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    Road bikes use this primitive but effective system where the brake pads squeeze directly on the rim itself. Using the brakes on a long hill can get the rims very hot. If you have a carbon braking surface you need to use special brake pads. I think having the titanium in there is an attempt to get a better braking surface.

But I'm no expert on this, I've never had carbon rims on a bike with rim brakes. I only know there are issues.
    From that perspective the high Tg claim makes a lot of sense. Gotcha.

mtbr member
    if you look at the image though, the braking surface of the rim has no titanium

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    Road bikes use this primitive but effective system where the brake pads squeeze directly on the rim itself
    Whoa. That's f*cked up! Stupid roadies.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think that you are right, that they aren't using the titanium to improve the braking surface. It looks like they are using Basalt. Or at least that is what they call their brake surface. I don't really know what the titanium would be getting them. It looks like they used it in their second generation fancy rims but it isn't in the third generation. On their technology page they have "Titanium Reinforcement: A stronger structure that helps to resist the heat generated by the continuous braking force.". So maybe they were using titanium because it isn't affected by heat like epoxy is, and then in their third generation they are using epoxy that is more resistant to heat. But I don't know why they would have in mountain bike rims except because they know how to do it and it sounds cool. Kevlar is more flexible than carbon fiber so I can see where a layer of that on the outside would make a tougher more resilient rim.

I do think that they have basic marketing problems though. On their "2014 YISHUNBIKE 26er DH mtb carbon rims 33mm widh down hill mountain bike rims" page they list 5 technologies that they use and 3 of them pertain to making rim brakes work better. Which I don't think a lot of downhill bikes in 2014 would take advantage of.