Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse [907-Alfine8]

Woot!!!

Finally starting to get parts shipped for my very own build after a year of ogling, dreaming and general lusting for a fatty. Will document it from purchase > complete build. This is my first complete build from frame up FWIW

Quick Background: I live on a small island with a f%&k load of coast to ride so going IGH is a must, alfine8's have been doing pretty well on fatbikes and have a great price point so that was a no brainer, will have a look at gearing later but I currently ride a 1x9 HT (32-11/32) although I should be running a 30-11/34 there's just so god dam many hills here!

Right time to go shopping...

Also here is the link to the google doc which has links to the suppliers/parts I used and associated shipping costs if any.

That's where I'm at so far, still have to decide on some pedals, a handlebar and a chain.

Would love some suggestions on my remaining components and any tips on the build up
    Last edited by OFFcourse; 10-13-2012 at 02:09 PM.

nvphatty
    maderia island?? glad to hear about the build especially since it's taken me roughly 5 months to collect the parts and assem them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm not too picky on brand/material of handlebars but let me recommend WIDE! much wider than the 630 you have there. The single best upgrade for my necro pugs was going from the 25mm diameter 625ish skinny POS that surly gives you to a 785mm wide Raceface. Good deals can be found on Jenson. It gets a little dicey through gates and some tree stretches, but it's worth it for the extra control and stability.

Heres a link to soemthing in the same price range, if you don't like it you can always cut it down...

Nukeproof Warhead 800 Flat Bars 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Last edited by mjduct; 09-24-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: added link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    maderia island?? glad to hear about the build especially since it's taken me roughly 5 months to collect the parts and assem them.
    Not Maderia Island but it sure looks nice there

Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    I'm not too picky on brand/material of handlebars but let me recommend WIDE! much wider than the 630 you have there. The single best upgrade for my necro pugs was going from the 25mm diameter 625ish skinny POS that surly gives you to a 785mm wide Raceface. Good deals can be found on Jenson. It gets a little dicey through gates and some tree stretches, but it's worth it for the extra control and stability.

Heres a link to soemthing in the same price range, if you don't like it you can always cut it down...

Nukeproof Warhead 800 Flat Bars 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    It's on a S frame, I'm 5'6" so anything more than 700 is crazy talk I have a 680mm bar ATM and it feels wide. Might try something with more sweep, hearing lots about On-one's Mary bar.

nvphatty

off topic

Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Not Maderia Island but it sure looks nice there
    in 07 i spent a 10 day vaca there and yes it's quite tropical.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Here's a fresh cheer for the Mary. I just mounted them on my new-ish Fatty after initially running normal risers on it, and using them on everything else for years. Those don't seem to bother me that much on a full susser, really, but the extra pounding of the rigid fatbike was bothering my wrists. I PURPOSELY went back to a 25.4D to get the flex (extra cushion) back. Perfect. I would be interested in trying wider than the 645s I got, but being that I ride a lot of tight stuff, I'm not unhappy at this width at all.

The Mary's "odd shape" disappeared when I started riding, and quite fortunately, so did the wrist discomfort!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    The Mary's "odd shape" disappeared when I started riding, and quite fortunately, so did the wrist discomfort!
    Sweet I might just get both, there are a lot of narrow spaces on our local trails and a lot of the adventure riding is more suitable for someone on foot (or a fatbike )

mtbr member

Mary

+1 for Mary and the spinoff SOMA Clarence. Went with the soma three years ago after experiencing wrist and elbow pain while riding. Pain disappeared quickly with this bar and minor tweaking of cockpit fit. Just replaced the soma with the mary (wanted 31.8 and a refresh). Mary is slightly narrower and, though I had no complaints with the soma, I find it a little more comfortable.

Planet X, if you can access them, has the mary on sale for $19.99.
    Last edited by veloborealis; 09-24-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Add info
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's on a S frame, I'm 5'6" so anything more than 700 is crazy talk I have a 680mm bar ATM and it feels wide. Might try something with more sweep, hearing lots about On-one's Mary bar.
    I'm 5'7" 160 lbs, and on a 16" surly pugsley. I do have an athletic build with about a 42" jacket size and a 31" waist.

trust me you'll like the width!

mtbr member
    Go with as much carbon as your wallet can handle. My large 9-0-7 came in at 32.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Go with as much carbon as your wallet can handle. My large 9-0-7 came in at 32.5 lbs.
    I plan on picking up a carver carbon fork after xmas when I have some more dough so thats a pretty cheap way to drop almost 500g.

Pretty stoked with the $+g of the Kore T-Rail Performance Carbon Saddle Combo still have to sit on it though

mtbr member
    Need to pick up some tools.

Was looking at the torque wrenches on Harbourfreight what size/s will I need? Also I was going to pick up a pipe cutting guide from somewhere?

Will make a Homemade Headset Press and do something similar for starnut installation.

Any other specialty tools I'm likely to need that I don't already have for the build?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Need to pick up some tools.

Was looking at the torque wrenches on Harbourfreight what size/s will I need? Also I was going to pick up a pipe cutting guide from somewhere?

Will make a Homemade Headset Press and do something similar for starnut installation.

Any other specialty tools I'm likely to need that I don't already have for the build?
    2 torque wrenches will handle everything on a bike. A light duty one that tops out somewhere between 60-120 in/lbs and a heavier duty one that tops out around 500 in/lbs or so. I'd steer clear of the Harbor Freight stuff and get something halfway decent.

Nemophilist
    Crank & Cassette?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    shimano nexus chain is a safe bet, especially on the alfine. its 1/8" and galvanized, or anti-corrosion coated. the 45nrth chains are anti-corrosion too. the slug is 1/8", and the willful neglect 8/9 speed would be liter if your cog is 3/32".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Crank & Cassette?
    Raceface Atlas
    Alfine8 so no cassette

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Raceface Atlas
    I follow you link on your spread sheet, but I was not able to find the 100mm cranks on the chain reaction site, how did you get yours and how long they are..

mtbr member
    I got the very last 100mm BB set on CRC the cranks are 170mm FWIW.

The one listed as discontinued was previously a 100mm BB

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    2 torque wrenches will handle everything on a bike. A light duty one that tops out somewhere between 60-120 in/lbs and a heavier duty one that tops out around 500 in/lbs or so. I'd steer clear of the Harbor Freight stuff and get something halfway decent.
    yup no HF as the Q factor is B A D. sears for craftsman is a decent deal.

mtbr member
    Damm, I don't really have cash for a big tool spend

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had good luck with the husky torque wrenches that can be found at Home Depot. If thats too much $$$ go to a pawn shop and look for craftsman. Sears will always exchange them for you no matter how destroyed they are.

nvphatty
    Last edited by nvphatty; 10-02-2012 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    I've had good luck with the husky torque wrenches that can be found at Home Depot. If thats too much $$$ go to a pawn shop and look for craftsman. Sears will always exchange them for you no matter how destroyed they are.
    No Sears or Home Depot in NZ

Courier showed up this morning with treats!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse-img_20121003_093145.jpg  

nvphatty
    Treats are always welcomed on my doorstep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like the green crank!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    (Previous Post)

• Raceface Atlas FR Cranks
    • Kore T-Rail Performance Carbon Saddle Combo
    • Kore XCD Alloy Stem
    • Avid SD7's
    • Kore Ikon Lock-on Grips

And more goodies today

• Q-Tubes 2.4-2.75" SL x4
    • Cane Creek ZeroStack ZS44 - Short
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse-img_20121003_155958.jpg  

mtbr member
    Having never come close to putting a wheel together. I'm having fatbikes make them up for me but as it only comes with the hub I have to pick up a shifter, cog and small parts kit correct?

Shimano Nexus/Alfine Revoshifter Shift Only
    Shimano Nexus & Alfine Cogs
    Shimano Alfine SG-S501 Small Parts Kit

Colin pointed out that the alfine8 is a centerlock hub so if i'm using the stock bb7 rotor (G2 Cleansweep) I will need an adapter for 6bolts? Could someone link me the correct one to use with the G2/alfine8 (preferably from CRC or Universal Cycles), thanks.

Did I forget anything in regards to the rear wheel setup?

Oh and before I forget does anyone have an idea on what the chainline is likely to come out like....with the raceface atlas (middlering only) 907 frame and the alfine?
    Just curious about whether I need extra spacers or what tricks are used to get it nice and straight.

Threadsaver: Ducks and Chucks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse-img_20111001_142830.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Having never come close to putting a wheel together. I'm having fatbikes make them up for me but as it only comes with the hub I have to pick up a shifter, cog and small parts kit correct?

Shimano Nexus/Alfine Revoshifter Shift Only
    Shimano Nexus & Alfine Cogs
    Shimano Alfine SG-S501 Small Parts Kit

Colin pointed out that the alfine8 is a centerlock hub so if i'm using the stock bb7 rotor (G2 Cleansweep) I will need an adapter for 6bolts? Could someone link me the correct one to use with the G2/alfine8 (preferably from CRC or Universal Cycles), thanks.

Did I forget anything in regards to the rear wheel setup?

Oh and before I forget does anyone have an idea on what the chainline is likely to come out like....with the raceface atlas (middlering only) 907 frame and the alfine?
    Just curious about whether I need extra spacers or what tricks are used to get it nice and straight.

Threadsaver: Ducks and Chucks!
    Problem Solvers, DT Swiss and Shimano all make centerlock to six bolt adaptors.
    I have had best experiences with the first two brands listed.

mtbr member
    Got some more parts this week just waiting on the BB7's from Jenson, frame and wheelset are sitting in customs awaiting a $350 Tax payment (ba#$#%ds) still have to find a handlebar somewhere too.

Revoshifter 8-speed Shifter
    Surly Rim Strips
    SKS Air Checker
    Alfine Small Parts Kit
    E-Thirteen 32t Chainring
    Da Bomb Bare Bones Flats
    Alfine 22t Cog
    Jagwire Cables/Housing
    DT Swiss Centrelock Adapter
    Brand-X Chainring Bolts
    SRAM Powerlinks
    Straitline Headset Spacers
    X-Tools Cable Cutters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse-img_20121031_112445.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Deity Compound pedals all the way!! Awesome profile, light as hell, strong as hell, and cheap. What more could you want?

[Edit] Nevermind... I see you bought some already. There goes my chance to influence.

mtbr member

Da Bomb Bare Bones Flat Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I was having a really hard time sourcing the compound pedals without getting slammed on international shipping so when I saw these on sale I figured I would just spend a little more.
    They feel/look rock solid, have than low profile and come in at 345g (343g claimed) on my crap kitchen scales. Going to take everything down to work before I build and get weights off the deli scales

mtbr member
    let us know how you like the pedals, it;s the final piece i need for my build, i'm torn because i like clipless. but i want platforms for really cold. it'd be nice to have a 1 sided clipless/platform pedal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    shimano used to make a pair of platform one side clipless on reverse. unfortunately I dont recall model number or if they still produce them.

mtbr member
    Frame, forks, brakes and wheelset all showed up YAY!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse-img_20121106_174206.jpg  

mtbr member
    Does your wife let you build your bikes in the kitchen? She must be very cool!

nvphatty
    toss them all in the blender and see what ya get..

mtbr member
    Too windy to go fishing today but the handlebar from Jenson showed up this morning so I put that on along with the brakes.

Still can't decide what to do with the Alfine8 cable routing. Probably going to bend the cassette joint and run the green/blue on the wrong side as I really want the cables running up the seat stay > top tube rather than the chain stay > down tube.

Anyone have any tricks for bending one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse-progress1.jpg  

Last edited by OFFcourse; 11-14-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: forgot pic

impalapower
    Both pictures you posted of the frame look as if it is flat black and the fork is gloss black. Did you have the frame repainted?

mtbr member
    The 907-SRD frame comes in either anodized black or painted grey the fork. The fork is gloss black as you say.

Would get the fork stripped and anodized to match but I will be getting a carbon carver fork early next year so no need to bother.

mtbr member
    Yay tires on just waiting on grips and cutting guide hopefully, 2moro!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse-img_20121124_1150921.jpg  

mtbr member
    Finished! Was a bit unsure about setting up the gears for the alfine8 but it was pretty simple, still want to tweak the cable routing and lenght, but will do it another time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another Fatbike Build OFcourse-img_20121202_191820.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Niiice build! That SRD frame gives a very clean drivetrain look IMHO.

How's the chainline with the Alfine and that RaceFace crank?
    Sprocket and cog combo 32/22 usually gets a reasonable low gear for single speeding at single tracks, how is the Alfine with respect to lower and higher gears compared to the 32/22?

Bj

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BjornS View Post
    Niiice build! That SRD frame gives a very clean drivetrain look IMHO.

How's the chainline with the Alfine and that RaceFace crank?
    Sprocket and cog combo 32/22 usually gets a reasonable low gear for single speeding at single tracks, how is the Alfine with respect to lower and higher gears compared to the 32/22?

Bj
    Chainline looks bang on, cranks didn't need any additional spacers. I can't really comment on the gearing yet (only quick test ride this afternoon) except to say it's my first IGH and the shifting is such a huge improvement. Going from 1-8 in a single twist is awsome. The only thing that would be nice is having a more modern grip shifter to go with the alfine8 the revoshifter is showing it's age.

Members who have read this thread: 0