jumbo jim "ish" 27.5 tire- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    795

    jumbo jim "ish" 27.5 tire

    Seems like in my next of the woods the tire of choice is the jumbo jims. Everyone seems to love everything about them which I can't really fault them for because Schwalbe does make some pretty good tires. my problem is that I ride a trek Farley with 27.5 wheels and they don't make the jj in that rim size.

    Does anybody know of a jumbo jim like tire for the trek farleys 27.5 rims?

    thanks,
    adam

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,285
    What width?

    4.0 - Dillinger or Hodag
    4.5 - Barbegazi

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    51
    I swapped my Winter tires (27.5x4.5 Studded Gnarwhals) a few weeks ago, (Trek Farley 7 19.5")
    To Bontrager Barbegazi's (same size) and finally did the tubeless conversion...dropped ~3 pounds!

    Attachment 1229140 Attachment 1229141 Attachment 1229142

    Loving the Barb's so far!!!

    Fast rolling, low resistance, light weight and great grip going uphill and cornering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jumbo jim "ish" 27.5 tire-barbegazi.jpg  

    jumbo jim "ish" 27.5 tire-barbegazi-2.jpg  

    Last edited by CanuckMountainMan; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:38 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1
    Nice, what pressure do you run the Barbs at for summer trails?

  5. #5
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,096
    Barbegazi's are lighter than Hodag's, but not quite as light as JJ's.

    All of them are pressure dependent. Find the sweet spot and they fly.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyBike View Post
    Nice, what pressure do you run the Barbs at for summer trails?
    I'm pretty happy at ~11psi (I'm about 190lbs)

    My studded Gnarwhals where considerably lower at 6psi for better float/traction in snow,
    but I was not too concerned about speed with those, just staying fit over the Winter months.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    795
    i am actually on a set of 4.5 barbs now that the bike came with. awesome tire not really any self steer to speak of which i hate. rolls pretty well but the uphills traction on sandy climbs seems to not be great. my only other two tires to compare it to were 26 inch ground control and juggernaut pros which both didnt seem to bave this problem. a tiny bit more uphill traction and i would be sold.

    i am running mine at 7 front 8 rear weigh 185lbs. 11 psi seems like a ton. both my tires feel really good with enough cushion to take a little bit of the bumps out of the trail but not even close to having that feeling of pedaling in wet cement.

  8. #8
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,667
    Hopefully Schwalbe will bring us some 27.5 JJs before too much longer.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    51
    I have a Mastodon on my Farley to soak up the bumps, roots and rocks,
    so I can get away with a slightly higher pressure and it's still a pretty plush ride.

    I guess I can give a lower pressure a test run, but after shedding all my Winter layers
    and my studded Gnar's and tubes, it's been so much fun to ride at full speed on hardpack dirt trails.

  10. #10
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,096
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    i am actually on a set of 4.5 barbs now that the bike came with. awesome tire not really any self steer to speak of which i hate. rolls pretty well but the uphills traction on sandy climbs seems to not be great. my only other two tires to compare it to were 26 inch ground control and juggernaut pros which both didnt seem to bave this problem. a tiny bit more uphill traction and i would be sold.

    i am running mine at 7 front 8 rear weigh 185lbs. 11 psi seems like a ton. both my tires feel really good with enough cushion to take a little bit of the bumps out of the trail but not even close to having that feeling of pedaling in wet cement.

    If you're having traction problems with that tire at that pressure I think you might want to look at position on the bike before spending $$$ on tires.

    JJ is going to be lighter, and maybe have less rolling resistance, but it's not going to have any more traction.

    Also, keep in mind that fractions of a PSI make a difference with this kind of volume. I'd never suggest going from 8 psi to 11, but I'd certainly encourage you to try 8.2, 8.4, and 8.6 to see what differences present themselves.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    If you're having traction problems with that tire at that pressure I think you might want to look at position on the bike before spending $$$ on tires.

    JJ is going to be lighter, and maybe have less rolling resistance, but it's not going to have any more traction.

    Also, keep in mind that fractions of a PSI make a difference with this kind of volume. I'd never suggest going from 8 psi to 11, but I'd certainly encourage you to try 8.2, 8.4, and 8.6 to see what differences present themselves.
    my tire pressures are actually down to the quarter but I wasn't trying to bore people with tiny details like that.

    It would obviously be impossible to know what kind of rider I am through the internet but my climbing technique is the one thing I have going for me. I clean tons of super tough climbs that lots of rider have trouble with including this very same hill that I have done on my other fat bike that I no longer own.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    I have a Mastodon on my Farley to soak up the bumps, roots and rocks,
    so I can get away with a slightly higher pressure and it's still a pretty plush ride.

    I guess I can give a lower pressure a test run, but after shedding all my Winter layers
    and my studded Gnar's and tubes, it's been so much fun to ride at full speed on hardpack dirt trails.
    yea the mastodon changes up how much pressure I would be running for sure. there is definitley trails that I can see riding those pressures on maybe so don't change them based on my silly internet comment. Fwiw during the summer in my area I don't know anyone running anything over 10psi in either front or rear. that is a sample size of probably about 12-15 fat bike riders.

    fat tires on some flowy trails pumped up a bit sounds like heaven though.

  13. #13
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,096
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    my tire pressures are actually down to the quarter but I wasn't trying to bore people with tiny details like that.

    It would obviously be impossible to know what kind of rider I am through the internet but my climbing technique is the one thing I have going for me. I clean tons of super tough climbs that lots of rider have trouble with including this very same hill that I have done on my other fat bike that I no longer own.

    Didn't suggest your climbing technique was bad -- I said that your position might be able to be fine tuned. Moving 2mm of spacers under/over your stem makes a difference with traction. Experiment.

Similar Threads

  1. Jumbo Jim
    By Lars_D in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 730
    Last Post: 02-14-2019, 04:54 PM
  2. Jumbo Jim in a 27.5" x 4" anytime soon?
    By DubzOxford in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-28-2018, 10:56 AM
  3. Schwalbe Jumbo Jim tire?
    By scubaklook in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 322
    Last Post: 05-21-2018, 08:35 AM
  4. Husker Du vs Jumbo Jim 4.0 vs 4.0
    By TomFL in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 08:01 PM
  5. Jumbo Jim's 4.0
    By Faction6 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 08:37 AM

Members who have read this thread: 92

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.