John Deere Pugsley- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

John Deere Pugsley

Hello everyone, I'm a long time shop rat with a little too much time on his hands this winter. I have a Pugsley frame sitting around and I'd like to build it up in a John Deere green and yellow theme. The powdercoating is a non-issue, but I'm interested regarding the drivetrain options. I have several available to me;

1. Singlespeed with a 29'er gearing (White Eno cranks and Freewheel).

2. 1x8 with an Alfine hub (when they become available from QBP)

3. 1x14 with a Rohloff

The bike will primarily be used for shits and giggles, as well as winter riding on our frequently wet mid-Atlantic trails. I like to avoid riding in wet conditions because of trail damage, but I figure that I can get by on iffy days with the Pug's high flotation tires.

The questions:

1. How does the Pugs fare as a single speed? What gearing is preferential? If I go this route I'm going to remove the derailleur tab for aesthetics. (I figure someone has to have an SS Pugsley...)

2. Are there any issues building the Large Marge/offset rims with Alfine hubs? I'm thinking spoke tension, deflection, lateral load, etc. I'll be building the rims as well, and spoke calculations already look like fun...

More to come I'm sure. The frame is prepped for powdercoating as of now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    if you want to make it an official john deere pug, you need to powder coat the rims yellow, and roll on green hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Haha, sounds interesting. I hope it wasn't a first gen. purple pugsley you stripped!

I've thought it would be cool to make a cat industrial yellow pugsley.

mtbr member
    hers a pic of someones fat bike in JD green with yellow rims , agree hubs need to be yellow

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    i am sure you know about this already.
    http://www.nirve.com/mens.asp?id=158...ded&cid=580.01
    there are some nice details you could add to your build.

stick with gears. I feel the pug likes low gears. If you bog down in too high of a gear the rear tire will lose it's grip. 1x9 for me, 22 up front so i just ride over most logs. i would love a internal gear hub next time because i ride on the road a lot.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hmm. The one above is green, but not green enough. Let me be more specific...

Green :Easton EA 30 Bars, Thomson stem, 3/4 of a Thomson Post, (whatever cranks ultimately go on it), Time Alium pedal bodies, Paul Levers and BB7 brake calipers.

Yellow :Thomson faceplate and saddle clamps, rims, hubs (including the rear hub body if I can disassemble it with reasonable effort), headset races, seatpost collar, bolts, and chainring.

Custom vinyl decals from the sign shop next door

-So no one would consider running say a 34-19 gearing? This thing is really that heavy in its handling? No insult intended, I realize that acceleration is a trade off with the wheels...

-What's the reference to the first gen frame? Are they faulty or is it just that the purple is so popular? We couldn't get rid of them cheaply enough. This one is the 2009 Thunderhead Gray. QBP had them on closeout awaiting the Grandpa's Pajamas color.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by radishkid

-So no one would consider running say a 34-19 gearing? This thing is really that heavy in its handling? No insult intended, I realize that acceleration is a trade off with the wheels...

-What's the reference to the first gen frame? Are they faulty or is it just that the purple is so popular? We couldn't get rid of them cheaply enough. This one is the 2009 Thunderhead Gray. QBP had them on closeout awaiting the Grandpa's Pajamas color.
    I'm going to try 32-19 or 20 hopefully this weekend. I know there are a few guys in AK that run SS, but I'm not sure of their gearing.
    My Pugs is my first geared mountain bike in 9 years, and I have to say, I'm kinda enjoying being able to gear down for some trials-y type moves. but I still want to try SS on it. I think it'll still be a fun ride, maybe not quite as unstoppable as when geared. I'll post my results when I finally get a hold of some brake levers to replace the XT flappers.

As far as the purple, I ran into the same resistance when I was still working in shops- no one wanted the purple. Now it seems, at least on here, that the purple is sought after. Don't know what you have until it's gone, maybe?

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

Good job! wow!

Nice theme radishkid!

are you planning to powder coat all those parts?...I want my hubs painted so badly!

I'm building mine but now I realize I've been too selfish with what I want to do....in particular about the paint job and the final color.... I wanted to be a surprise!

but there is no reason to do it...these forums are meant to share....and you are a good example.

So please allow me to reveal my Pugs.....I named it: The Pugsdozer

I think our bikes should meet sometime...

this is my inspiration: (Viva la machine!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    i am thinking the same thing for my new one. rims that match the frame color
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    yes...rims won't be to much problem I think... hubs.. I don't know...radishkid please could you talk about that a little?

I found this when I was googling my idea...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    the new color begs for it.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Ride = Life
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    yes...rims won't be to much problem I think... hubs.. I don't know...radishkid please could you talk about that a little?

I found this when I was googling my idea...
    That looks like the Orange County Chopper CAT project bike. Can't watch OCC any more after last night's South Park episode. Rabble Rabble Rabble.
    "Riding is about rhythm and flow. It's the wind in your face and the challenge of hammering up a long hill…" - Gary Klein

mtbr member
    i got that pic i think off the post your surly thread over on the surly forum,pasted into a folder of over 100 fatbikes now,maybe i should make a slideshow for all fatfans!,as long as none of you dudes try sue me over copyright

heres my commuter bike which is proper john deere green with yellow/black graphics, an old killer v 900 from around 94/95,the local john deere rep got quite excited when he saw it

and heres the real thing

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Powdercoating hubs is a non-issue prior to final assembly. A good coater will mask off bearing surfaces prior to media blasting and coating, and you can always chase the threads later. Just disassemble the hubs, tap out sealed bearings or balls and shields and you're pretty much set. Shimano hubs still use loose ball bearings and races can be tricky. Make sure you specify with your coater your exact needs and you should be fine.

(sorry for typos, I'm posting from a phone)

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    can I use a Chemical Bath to take off the original paint??....disassemble? man...I have no bike mechanical skills (just got back in the saddle this year after 13 years)

I'll see if the LBS can do that job...

My plan...CAT Yellow rims and hubs with Black spokes and nipples

thanks radishkid!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I wouldn't waste time with a chem bath... Greased Lightning cleaner works well on most anodizing, although your coater will media blast as a part of the coating fee.

is buachail foighneach me
    Hmm. The one above is green, but not green enough. Let me be more specific...

Green :Easton EA 30 Bars, Thomson stem, 3/4 of a Thomson Post, (whatever cranks ultimately go on it), Time Alium pedal bodies, Paul Levers and BB7 brake calipers.

Yellow :Thomson faceplate and saddle clamps, rims, hubs (including the rear hub body if I can disassemble it with reasonable effort), headset races, seatpost collar, bolts, and chainring.

Custom vinyl decals from the sign shop next door

Two singlespeed pugslies crossed the finish line of the Iditarod Trail Invitational 350 this year, one of them in 4th. Singlespeed is perfectly doable in the winter. It's the same trade off as in the summer, just colder. On snowmachine trails with potentially iffy conditions, gearing lower is definitely key. I'll be probably running a 30 or 28 x 22 this winter for endurance stuff. 32 x 22 last winter was too high when loaded down in semi-soft conditions.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    I wouldn't waste time with a chem bath... Greased Lightning cleaner works well on most anodizing, although your coater will media blast as a part of the coating fee.
    happens that they will do the frame with a chem bath...seems to be easy for them to do that...so I guess when I show up with the hubs..they will try to do the same...

thanks!

....they are not exactly a Bicycle Powder Coating shop, in fact down here we don't have those, or something similar...this people are a CAT parts powder coating shop...they don't do anything but CAT things...which means....original exact color for my bike

mtbr member
    I'm going the Rohloff speedhub myself. It speaks for itself.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

Is that Bill rated?

28:19

My first ride on my Pug I had a 27 speed drivetrain and I never shifted on the trail. Since then I have been 28:19 for every ride, snow, mud or sun, short or long. To me the extra momentum that gets stored in the big wheels and tires is the perfect match for a SS setup
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My problem with running 1x9 last winter was that the full length shift cable on my pugsley would freeze up at around 30 below anyway. You'd hope for a good gear!

MOJO BICHU

Smile I Have One!!

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hey radishkid! did you build yours already?

Members who have read this thread: 0