try anything on a bike

I've discovered a negative to fat tires.

I love my fatty. It's so good it's my only bike. But I found a flaw in fat tires today.

I was riding a good downhill section, hit a small table top, and decided to tail whip.

Well my landing was good, even a 2.4 tire would have been just fine, but I landed maybe 20 degrees off of straight. Where the normal tire would have just slid the remainder, the FbN hooked up and shot me sideways of the landing. I saved it, minus a knuckle into tree branch. Just thankful I wasn't on Nates as that would have gotten even better traction.

Keep in mind, you can have too much traction sometimes.
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nothing worse than a tail-whipping fat bike noob!! jeez

since 4/10/2009
    I have noticed the same. Granted, I've never been one to get enough air to really show any moves, but I've noticed that if I get even slightly off my axis on a jump, when I land, the tires hook up immediately and will start me on a new direction.

Which could have some interesting implications for those far more skilled than I.

mtbr member
    That's why I ride horribly. If you don't have high expectatiosn to begin with, you won't be disappointed. And the idea of me doing tail whips, that's just hilarious.

Loser
    I had an awesome air event yesterday. I went airborne over a rock going into a corner. I whipped the back end out to put me in line with the corner. My front tire was aimed perfectly on landing and my back tire hit the top edge of the trail and pushed me into a beautifully arced turn. It was one of those magic things where it lined up perfectly and the traction of the fat tire caught just right, I accelerated as I came out of the corner. One of those corners you dream about.

mtbr member
    Every time someone in the mtb scene says that they did a "tailwhip" I get super confused for a second... I rode bmx way too long and forget that hitting a jump with style is considered a tail whip in the mtb world.

Loser
    Yeah, not exactly tail whips in the traditional sense "I moved the back end of the bike 3", therefore I tail whipped" LOL.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Yeah, not exactly tail whips in the traditional sense "I moved the back end of the bike 3", therefore I tail whipped" LOL.
    Oh, is that what we're calling tail whips these days? I guess I need to start talking a better game, then.

mtbr member
    I can't bring my whips all the way back, so I usually land a bit sideways. Hasn't been a problem yet, but there are a lot of variables. Tires, pressures, soil type, weight bias, tpi, lunar phase, etc...

I have noticed that a certain berm I used to square off on a skinny bike, I carve on the fatty, as it doesn't break loose at the same threshold.

I just swapped to FbN's though, so we'll see tonight if I can't 'wreck myself before I check myself'.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nates are great for those of us with minimal skill that just want to bike to go where we point it and stop when we pull the brake lever.
    I'm sure I would crash and burn quickly on a skinny MTB as I just ride the trails like there is no slip. Its great being able to grab plenty of front brake with no fear of a wash out.
    But I don't know better.

Craig