Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Intrak groomer build

After much thought, and seeing the Best Tracksled demo videos, I've decided a tracksled groomer is the best way forward for fat bike grooming. I have some ideas how to improve the design and am building a prototype that I should have completed in the next couple weeks. I figured since this is specifically for fat bike trails, and some in this forum may have interest in this build, I'd post a build thread here.

I will be calling it Intrak, since the key design element is placing the motor and entire drivetrain inside the track, not ontop. This will give it a much lower center of gravity and greater stability in handling and off camber sections. I'm collecting parts and should have them all rounded up in the next day or two, but so far I have a crude concept drawing, and a rough mockup with the track and engine. I'm using a 13hp 1984 Honda ATC 200s engine, frame craddle, and drivetrain and will fab the rest.

This first prototype will be quick and dirty to get a running machine and test the concept. Next one will be nice and pretty with engine gone through and restored. These old Honda motors are bullet proof and about as reliable as you can get in a motor. Picture below is the current status of the build.

Last edited by N8R; 12-22-2016 at 01:36 PM.

beer thief
    Sub'd. What are you using for a track?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its a 134" snowwmobile track with 3/4" lugs off some old machine, not sure what make.

mtbr member
    Is it a drone? how do you control/ride it?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just picked up some bogie wheels from a snowmobile, but still need a couple more. These will get me going though so I can proceed with making the jig to hold frame pieces where they go while I weld them. The jig is rather easy to make, using 1/2" osb. Took some measurements where I want the bogie wheels, connected lines to get the side plate shape, and cut it out.

Side plate inserted in track. (Need to trace it and make one more for the other side)

Mockup with engine inside to make sure it will fit the shape well

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Is it a drone? how do you control/ride it?
    No, you ride behind it in a sled/groomer that it pulls and you steer it with a bar that comes off the back.

https://youtu.be/3sfhOyA8qQA

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I assume you're going to split that track into 2 tracks?

What are you going to do about all of the snow that builds up in there, melts and then turns into ice?

Have a filtration system to prevent moisture/snow from getting sucked up in the carb?

beer thief
    Some of you guys are not paying attention. Check this one out, N8R's rig will be somewhat similar.
    Home | MTT136 Yvon Martel

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah. That's electric. Different animal. Doesn't present the same issues as hiding a gas powered engine in the track in regards to heat dissipation, evacuating exhaust fumes, snowbuild up that eventually melts from hitting the hot engine and then turning into ice or water vapor that gets sucked in the carb etc.

It's probably why the MTT design is electric. I think a gas powered motor needs to be mounted above the track.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Yeah. That's electric. Different animal. Doesn't present the same issues as hiding a gas powered engine in the track in regards to heat dissipation, evacuating exhaust fumes, snowbuild up that eventually melts from hitting the hot engine and then turning into ice or water vapor that gets sucked in the carb etc.

It's probably why the MTT design is electric. I think a gas powered motor needs to be mounted above the track.
    No, I wont be splitting the track. If you look in the first mockup pic above, you will notice a black box behind the carb. Thats a sealed airbox for the intake filter that comes standard on the ATC. It'll have a snorkel that goes above the track so the intake will never see snow or moisture.

The exhaust will be vented out the side of the track, no issues there. Heat dissipation and ice buildup will be easy to manage, and I may or may not put side plates with cooling intake vents on the track to keep snow out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Personally, I'd rather have electric, quieter, fewer issues as stated above.

It seems like you could cut up an old snowmobile and get the same end game without recreating the wheel, but I recognize this is more about the challenge of making it work than whether it's the ideal design.

I think this would be the ideal groomer, we're looking at Rokons, but the price and utility are not as appealing. This would be perfect for grading tight single track, with a pull behind grader/track that the operator stands on.

beer thief
    But Ben, which one would you rather have to service miles from the home base? Besides likely being wicked expensive, an electric motor dying in the cold would be a nightmare, while a reliable Honda engine can be fixed or refueled by any backyard mechanic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    No, I wont be splitting the track. If you look in the first mockup pic above, you will notice a black box behind the carb. Thats a sealed airbox for the intake filter that comes standard on the ATC. It'll have a snorkel that goes above the track so the intake will never see snow or moisture.

The exhaust will be vented out the side of the track, no issues there. Heat dissipation and ice buildup will be easy to manage, and I may or may not put side plates with cooling intake vents on the track to keep snow out.
    Maybe it's the angle of the picture, but when I look at these 2 pics it appears you have some framing that supports the gas tank that would be in the way of allowing the track to rotate.

And with the engine mounted inside, how do you keep it cool since it relies on air circulation to cool down?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There wont be anything in the way to prohibit the track from rotating. The pics I've posted with the tank on the track are just mockup pics to get a visual idea. The fuel tank is just sitting on the track for the sake of seeing how it would look there, when properly mounted it'll be clearanced and nothing will hit.

If it ends up not needing side covers, the engine will be exposed to open moving air and cooling will be the same as if it were on the 3 wheeler. If I end up enclosing the track sides, I would just have some air intake/scoop vents on each side that force air into cool the motor and an exit vent toward the rear.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have electric, quieter, fewer issues as stated above.

It seems like you could cut up an old snowmobile and get the same end game without recreating the wheel, but I recognize this is more about the challenge of making it work than whether it's the ideal design.

I think this would be the ideal groomer, we're looking at Rokons, but the price and utility are not as appealing. This would be perfect for grading tight single track, with a pull behind grader/track that the operator stands on.
    Electric would be cool, but for my use gas is much better and will have a much farther range.

I'm not reinventing the wheel, I'm creating a purpose specific machine that meets certain criteria. Nor is it about the challenge of making it work. I've spent a lot of time pondering on what the ideal groomer for me is, and this is the design I've settled on. What I'm making can't be done by cutting up a snowmobile. The engines are too large and too wide, and they weigh twice what this Intrak will.

Everyone will have their opinion on what the ideal groomer for them would be. For a small, light, manuverable machine that can groom sub 20" wide single track, and fit on a hitch rack on the back of my vehichle, a tracksled is hard to beat and the best that I can come up with at the moment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    A pitbike engine would let you lower the center of gravity even more.

mtbr member
    Louvers in the side plates could direct air flow for cooling

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Electric would be cool, but for my use gas is much better and will have a much farther range.

I'm not reinventing the wheel, I'm creating a purpose specific machine that meets certain criteria. Nor is it about the challenge of making it work. I've spent a lot of time pondering on what the ideal groomer for me is, and this is the design I've settled on. What I'm making can't be done by cutting up a snowmobile. The engines are too large and too wide, and they weigh twice what this Intrak will.

Everyone will have their opinion on what the ideal groomer for them would be. For a small, light, manuverable machine that can groom sub 20" wide single track, and fit on a hitch rack on the back of my vehichle, a tracksled is hard to beat and the best that I can come up with at the moment.
    Sub 20" track? That's pretty narrow, have fun

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Got the jig made and getting the frame welded up. So far all is going well and it's coming together nicely.

mtbr member
    Shit hot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Great progress - keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I love this forum. Dude is trying to stick a beater in some pipes, to turn a wheel, and pull a toboggan. So he can help is local community out.

Yet without fail the; " You should get a McLaren Electric Motor on a carbon fiber frame, with intake vents at 22.5 degree, with on-board Lidar for autonomous capability and a backup drone capability. Oh and don't forget the espresso machine."

Looks great, I bet that little Honda motor will still be chugging along when we Land people on Mars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^^Haha

My thoughts exactly.

Looks like a great project and I like your use of cheap materials for mock-up purposes.
    Sometimes wood is just so easy to work with compared to other materials...and cheap to boot.

Its kinda funny, our local bike club bought a snowmobile for grooming, and it doesn't fit down half the trails we ride. I remember hearing about the possible purchase and riding the different trails thinking "it won't fit on this trail, or this trail, or this trail, or this trail, but it WILL fit down some of this trail". Lets just say they don't use it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Its kinda funny, our local bike club bought a snowmobile for grooming, and it doesn't fit down half the trails we ride. I remember hearing about the possible purchase and riding the different trails thinking "it won't fit on this trail, or this trail, or this trail, or this trail, but it WILL fit down some of this trail". Lets just say they don't use it.
    Nothing that a chainsaw can't fix. Sounds like they need to buy one more item.

bigger than you.
    Nothing that a chainsaw can't fix. Sounds like they need to buy one more item.
    Eff that! Sanitize and deforest the trails so you can groom them for 1/4 of the year? That's beyond stupid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Local trail maintenance group here bought a Rokon last year and found they couldn't maneuver it on the trails... deep snow and switchbacks. This year a local Bike shop bought a tracked motorcycle with a ski steer and seems to be doing better. We need to know what the local conditions are and what will work for them. Sometimes snowshoes are the best way to pack a trail. I hope this project works for the ops trails. seems like a great plan to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Eff that! Sanitize and deforest the trails so you can groom them for 1/4 of the year? That's beyond stupid.
    About half the year where I live. Not total deforestation... Just a tree here or there.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

mtbr member
    I'm confused at how you turn this with the single track? Snow, moisture and heat can easily be solved as the OP's has mentioned.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I'm confused at how you turn this with the single track? Snow, moisture and heat can easily be solved as the OP's has mentioned.
    Look at this one: Home | MTT136 Yvon Martel

bigger than you.
    About half the year where I live. Not total deforestation... Just a tree here or there.
    On the trails that I build, a "tree here or there" can make the difference between a twisty and changing to ride at speed trail or a relatively straight and wide toboggan run. It's those trees (along with rocks, roots and logs) that lend character to singletrack, without them, you might as well just ride a rail trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...
    I was being half sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    On the trails that I build, a "tree here or there" can make the difference between a twisty and changing to ride at speed trail or a relatively straight and wide toboggan run. It's those trees (along with rocks, roots and logs) that lend character to singletrack, without them, you might as well just ride a rail trail.
    A tree removed here or there so a snowmobile can make the turn on a twisty trail isn't going to hurt anything for a groomed fat bike trail on the snow. When the snow is all gone. the original twisty, turny dirt single track still remains there during the summer.

You're over thinking this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Lets turn the sarcasm down to 1/4 volume.

Cutting trees down for grooming isn't a good solution.....unless they drop them across the trail and make a feature out of the tree, and maybe a dozen other trees.

beer thief
    Let's stop derailing this thread.

More pics please N8R

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There is no one answer, so having options is ideal.

Picking trails suitabel for grooming is issue number one, whcih includes being able to access them from above so grooming is downhill or at least somewhat with the flow of gravity.

Grooming also requires time, access, and repeat tretaments, so if you don't have the people and equipment to get on the snow, excess accumulation can make grooming nigh impossible.

We have nothing but skier and snowshoe grooing now, snowshoes are not always better than nothing as they can leave holes that make riding tough. Ski pack is good if the surface remains firm enough and no one potholes or troughs the trail.

We're moving toward a Rokon on our trails as they are very tight, not sure if we'll be abel to afford it...

Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    Local trail maintenance group here bought a Rokon last year and found they couldn't maneuver it on the trails... deep snow and switchbacks. This year a local Bike shop bought a tracked motorcycle with a ski steer and seems to be doing better. We need to know what the local conditions are and what will work for them. Sometimes snowshoes are the best way to pack a trail. I hope this project works for the ops trails. seems like a great plan to me.

mtbr member
    Got the jig made and getting the frame welded up. So far all is going well and it's coming together nicely.

Love it. Keep it coming. I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes together

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Sub 20" track? That's pretty narrow, have fun
    That's the idea. Groom true singletrack (<24") wide. We use tracksleds and narrow (22") grooms and have found its possible. Its also super fun!

I'm very excited by this build. It seems to solve some of the issues with standard tracksleds.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for all the comments guys! I dont want to come across as a jerk, but If I could, I'd like to request that off topic and non pertaining comments are kept to a minimum, not to censure or offend anyone, but just to keep clutter low so people who read it to see the build dont have too many pages to filter through. Lots of good comments though about things to take into consideration, and I appreciate all the feedback, thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm still trying to get my head around how it turns.

Looks like a real fun project.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I'm still trying to get my head around how it turns,
    Like a lawnmover, by moving the handlebars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for all the comments guys! I dont want to come across as a jerk, but If I could, I'd like to request that off topic and non pertaining comments are kept to a minimum, not to censure or offend anyone, but just to keep clutter low so people who read it to see the build dont have too many pages to filter through. Lots of good comments though about things to take into consideration, and I appreciate all the feedback, thanks.
    Well, if you'd hurry up, we'd have more to see and less to speculate; )

I think it's s pretty good idea, more agile than a Rokon, certainly easier to manage than a sled, I'd buy one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Following....

mtbr member
    This is great! We've got an old snowmobile up at the farm with a blown engine. Thinking of lopping off everything in front of the chaincase and doing something similar since some local trails need grooming. That, and I live on a lake, so for ice fishing it could be very useful!

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, I almost got a roller, and I'm really liking the way its looking. Got the bogie wheels and track on. Still need to get the track drive gear cut out, steering bar and cockpit built, fuel tank mounted, and a bunch of other little things that need hooking up. I'm hoping to get it running by next week.

beer thief
    Killer! Do you tension the track with the top front wheels?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes, the top front wheels are used to tension the belt. The bogie axle slides in the slot between the tubes and is held inplace with all thread rod and nuts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I assume you'll cover the, louvered with gaps for drainage, access panel from either side?

Did the motor come from a snowblower? Are you going to use the stock controller mounted to the steering bar? Is it a manual or automatic clutch?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That bottom pics looks like you've got a desk chair mounted on top. Going to give the wrong impression.

Question about the track and rollers: How exact do you have to have the alignment? Will it wear out fast or throw the track off if it is not nearly perfect?

Also you mention light an nimble, but any provisions to ballast it for balance or more traction if conditions dictate?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The motor is from a 1984 Honda ATC 200 3 wheeler. It's a 5 speed with an automatic clutch. I'm using the ATC handle bars and the stock switches on the bars. I'll be running cables to the bars for gear shifting. Future builds may or may not use a CVT for the transmission. I like the idea of gears so I can controll rpm and always have it where I want it, but not having to shift would he nice. Also want reverse on future builds, but I can just swap in the same motor but from a model that came with reverse. Not sure if it'll need the sides covered or not. I'll worry about that after its running.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    That bottom pics looks like you've got a desk chair mounted on top. Going to give the wrong impression.

Question about the track and rollers: How exact do you have to have the alignment? Will it wear out fast or throw the track off if it is not nearly perfect?

Also you mention light an nimble, but any provisions to ballast it for balance or more traction if conditions dictate?
    The roller allgnment should be pretty spot on with the jig I made and my measurements, but I did leave little less than 1/4" gap between the bogie wheels and the lugs on the inside, for a little wiggle room. The combination of the toothed drive sprocket on the rear and the lugs against the sides of the bogie wheels wont allow the track to come off. Alignment would have to be off a significant amount to cause track trouble.

The steering bar will be free floating, but when lowered to a certain point will bottom out and allow me to lift the front end up a little, similar to how you push down on the bars to lift up the front of a lawnmower.

mtbr member
    Not saying it will cause problems but.....

I wonder how running only bogies and drive wheels without rails/sliders will work. I am envisioning the drive wheels getting out line of the track windows while turning.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Not saying it will cause problems but.....

I wonder how running only bogies and drive wheels without rails/sliders will work. I am envisioning the drive wheels getting out line of the track windows while turning.
    Works fine, its done on ATV and other vehicle tracks all the time.

Loser
    Looks great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't know the kind of terrain you will groom with your machine, but the way you set up the carryng wheels, it risk to be problematic because you have a fix pivot point right in the middle.
    Example: You are grooming a trail with rollers or roll over rocks, you go up the roller, then on the top (there's the problem with the pivot point) the machine will tip/rock forward heavily as it star going down.
    You could use a 4 wheels set up or use something like this:Name:  20161221_171133.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  76.5 KB

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    I don't know the kind of terrain you will groom with your machine, but the way you set up the carryng wheels, it risk to be problematic because you have a fix pivot point right in the middle.
    Example: You are grooming a trail with rollers or roll over rocks, you go up the roller, then on the top (there's the problem with the pivot point) the machine will tip/rock forward heavily as it star going down.
    You could use a 4 wheels set up or use something like this:Name:  20161221_171133.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  76.5 KB
    It'll have another set of bogie wheels right behind the engine cradle to mirror the one in front it. I just havent welded the mounts on yet as I need to source 2 more wheels. The wheels need to be close to the engine cradle to stop the track from moving up and contacting the underside of the cradle.

The weight distribution of the machine is biased a little toward the rear and wont be front heavy at all. The idea is to allow the front to rise up a little and float on top of the snow as much as possible, rather than sink down and plow through it, similar to how a boat hull gets the boat up out of the water.

Going over rollers, it should be fine. Really the machine can do whatever it wants as far as pivoting, and just follow the terrain, as the steering handle is free floating.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Getting close........

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I made the drive sprocket out of wood temporarily to make sure I calculated the size right or incase I botched it. After I get it running and test it, I'll make a permanent sprocket with either Nylon or other suitable plastic.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice work! I cant wait to see how it goes

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just a quick update, I got the machine fired up to make sure the engine is good, as I hadnt run it before. Its a solid engine, and runs awesome even though it has a couple oil leaks I'll fix later on. I still need to make a throttle by joining 2 stock throttles due to the long distance from carb to bars, but I did kind of drive it around the yard one handed operating a makeshift throttle with the other, having to reach down. It rolls awesome, and went through 8" crusty old snow like nothing. I should have it running properly in the next day or so but it'll take me a few days to get some video of it posted here due to a lousy internet connection.

Live Free & Ride
    Awesome! Every fat bike community needs something like this to make riding more enjoyable. Thanks for showing off your skills to help with more ideas and progression in our sport. Can't wait to see it go!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I got the throttle hooked up, a proper plastic drive sprocket made, and the machine is running. What a blast! This thing is so much fun. There is a learning curve to steering/ driving it and on high traction snow it takes a little effort to steer the thing, but I'm going to play with the underside track profile and steering leverage ratio to get the steering a little easier. But like it is its very useable. In powder, its much easier to manuver and carving is awesome with it.

So as it is now, I'm calling it a huge success, with more improvements and fine tuning to come. It'll be a couple days before I can get a video uploaded, but I'll be posting some footage and more pics soon.....

blood in / blood out
    I got the throttle hooked up, a proper plastic drive sprocket made, and the machine is running. What a blast! This thing is so much fun. There is a learning curve to steering/ driving it and on high traction snow it takes a little effort to steer the thing, but I'm going to play with the underside track profile and steering leverage ratio to get the steering a little easier. But like it is its very useable. In powder, its much easier to manuver and carving is awesome with it.

So as it is now, I'm calling it a huge success, with more improvements and fine tuning to come. It'll be a couple days before I can get a video uploaded, but I'll be posting some footage and more pics soon.....
    Congrats N8R. Can't wait to see the video.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Ya videos, and how well does it pack a track for riding fatbike

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Following this. Very nice idea.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've decided the 3/4" lug track I used isn't going to cut it long term and doesnt provide enough traction to my liking. It gets the job done, but spins too much, especially in wet snow. I'm going to eventually swap it out for a 2" lug track, which I'll trim the side lugs to turn the track into a convex lugged track. This will give the track a round profile instead of flat, and allow it to lean and steer easier.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Heres a pic of a convex track. It should help out a lot with steering and make the sled track better in uneven hard pack snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    While looking up Kold Kutters yesterday I saw some pictures of people installing them in track lugs. You must do this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    cool stuff, one of my co-workers is building one also. now lets get that vid loaded !
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Following....we were looking at the best track sled or Rokon but this looks better. Nice work and thanks for sharing.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's a video of it running. I need to move the hitch point in toward the track, or maybe above the track, and also need to make a proper groomer to pull. I'll be putting a snow shield above the motor all along the underside of the track to stop it from dumping snow all over the motor and drivetrain. The drive sprocket is also getting packed with snow, but that will be an easy fix. So a few things to tweak , but its running good.

https://youtu.be/SNfiv0BAx9w

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Dude that's impressive!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Holy crap, that is awesome! I wish I had the mechanical aptitude to build something like that.

mtbr member
    That's awesome! Nice job building!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    very nice

Loser
    Looks nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Wow, very cool to see this up and running - Been following since the first post!

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    From the get go, I was expecting to have to come up with solutions to make a rear drive snow machine work. The tendency is for snow to get pushed back into the sprockets, pack up, and turn to ice. I had a 1/4" gap between the steel chain driven sprocket and the Plastic track drive sprocket. Ice would build up in the gap and enlarge in diameter until it pushed the chain up and off the sprocket. It also severly deformed the plastic sprocket, pushing it outward and making it concave shaped.

The solution was to simply close the gap with a spacer ( I used another identical steel sprocket and ground off the teeth) and welded it to the steel chain drive sprocket. I also added additional bolts higher up higher up around the plastic sprocket for extra reinforcment. To make sure ice could not build up ontop of the gap spacer, I made a scraper that contacts the spacer edge so as it turns, all the ice gets removed. This is working excellently, and ice buildup is no longer an issue.

Next thing I need to do is make a shroud that covers the top of the motor under the track all the way back to the sprockets because right now the track is dumping snow all over the engine, and everywhere behind to the sprockets gets packed with snow. Its great for keeping the engine cool, but not so great after done riding when I go to ride the next day and its all iced and parts are frozen up. To avoid this, after every ride, I just clean all the packed snow out so its good to go for next ride, but putting a shroud over the engine will keep snow out and make it a lot easier.

So all in all, a few things to consider, but with easy fixes. I'll be updating with more pics and much better video in the near future........

mtbr member
    Here's a video of it running. I need to move the hitch point in toward the track, or maybe above the track, and also need to make a proper groomer to pull. I'll be putting a snow shield above the motor all along the underside of the track to stop it from dumping snow all over the motor and drivetrain. The drive sprocket is also getting packed with snow, but that will be an easy fix. So a few things to tweak , but its running good.

https://youtu.be/SNfiv0BAx9w
    absolutely officially confirmed badass.

Bike Now, Beer Later
    So awesome!! Wish i had the mechanical know-how to even come up with a project like that. Keep us updated as modifications occur.
    I am certainly uncertain, at least I'm pretty sure I am.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I took the Intrak out in some deeper snow, over 2' deep, and it did better than I expected, considering the 3/4" lugged track. Keep in mind, this is pulling a high float sled and not a groomer. I'll be making a groomer for it hopefully this week.

Here's a video of it in deeper snow. Sorry for the bad quality, I was alone and had to prop my phone against my windshield. I should be going out tomorrow with a friend to record for me so I should have much better video soon.

https://youtu.be/ipTiJd1bsAo

turtles make me hot
    Too cool. Nice work, N8R.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sweet

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Where are you planning on grooming? Looks like you live in utah county?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm a nomad and go back and forth between Utah and Sanpete counties. I'll be grooming mostly in the Ephraim area, and occasionally in the Saratoga Springs/Eagle mtn area.

Jaymanjibe
    Nov 2012
    Forget about grooming Fat bike trails. I would Just ride that machine and leave the Fat bike in the garage. That is awesome!! Nice Job!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Interesting. Ive never fat biked out at EM. Figured there wouldnt be enough snow

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    Interesting. Ive never fat biked out at EM. Figured there wouldnt be enough snow
    Typically there isn't. Catch 22, all EM trails are no motorized vehicles trails. That doesn't go away in the winter.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Typically there isn't. Catch 22, all EM trails are no motorized vehicles trails. That doesn't go away in the winter.
    Hence, the reason I said occasionally, I'd be grooming in EM. Last year had a lot of snow and when there is, its worth making a trail even if its only short lived. I have no intention of grooming the EM mtn bike trail network. I have other cool places to groom in the area, thats more interesting and better suited for fatbiking.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Finally got a decent video made! Sorry, no groomer attachment made yet, still doing machine functionability testing. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a groomer, not a fun machine, actual grooming coming soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFl...ature=youtu.be

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

Yeah, but all the ATV trails and the dirt roads would not be off limit. Lots of stuff out there that could be groomed of there was snow.

mtbr member
    How's the Intrak looking?
    --
    Catfish

Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishracing View Post
    how's the intrak looking?

x2!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    x3!

mtbr member
    Very impressive ! Nicely done N8R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beer thief
    Time for an update

mtbr member
    I second the motion for a update.
    After wrasseling with the SnowDog on my second time out with it I can see the benefits of having the engine down low inside the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'd also like an update. Back up to the top!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What are you going to do about all of the snow that builds up in there, melts and then turns into ice?

Have a filtration system to prevent moisture/snow from getting sucked up in the carb?
    My guess is that my predictions came true and this thing is dead in the water or snow.

Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006
    I built a version of the Intrack groomer. The machine has both pros and cons when compared to the track sled I built with the engine mounted on top. The biggest benefit of the Intrack is the amazingly low center of gravity. The Intrack is glued to the ground and never tries to flop over like the Snowdog I have experience with.
    There are many negative associated with and internal combustion being mounted down in the mud the blood and the beer. First of all I had to build a "hot box" similar to what some snow blowers have to keep the card linkage from icing up. Thankfully the carb froze at a manageable mid throttle when it first did but things could have been worse. Due to a large amounts of snow falling on the engine and melting the engine oil turns up milky from water all the time. It is also very hard to fuel the machine in the field due to the same snow coating. Finally the Intrack does not have a platform that acts like a fender of sorts that a track sled with the power train mounted on top has. In the low snow water content we groom the operator is in a constant blizzard and can get quite wet while grooming.
    Now that I have the experience from building two completely different track sleds of my own and operating a Snowdog too I am nearly done with two identical track sleds that blend the best qualities of all three and hopefully have none of the negatives. 20" wide track and with the same ground contact as the Snowdog. A better approach angle for the front so it does not get stuck as easy as the Snowdog does. Enough power to groom but not the #80 13 hp engine that makes the Snowdog so prone to tipping over.
    The process has been interesting!
    Intrak  groomer build-20190106_114125%5B1%5D.jpgIntrak  groomer build-20180209_190203%5B1%5D.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intrak  groomer build-20180203_192237%5B2%5D.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast