ICT fork: Axle options?- Mtbr.com
    This place needs an enema

ICT fork: Axle options?

Just installed an ICT fork on my sweetie's bike. She's got a 6 day/5 night trip coming up, and removing some of Bluto's finickiness in favor of more cargo space (bottles on the fork legs) made lots of sense.

What doesn't make sense, for her, is the stock ICT fork axle, which requires a 6mm allen key to install/remove the wheel.

Anyone know of any 15 x 150 tool-free axle options that'll play well with the ICT 150mm fork?

I see a few cheap chinese options on eBay, but only one (maaaaaaybe two) of them look like they'll mate with the ICT fork.

Thanks for any insight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I've been following your posts around on MTBR for a while now, and most of my problems seem to be happening to you as well. I'd appreciate if you shared any info you find on this matter. I am trying to replace the axles for my Wednesday as well.

The finishing is just not what I had expected on mine to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    What does the wren use? I have a lulu (branded as an 11 9) and there is a qr thru axle with a cap. Not the most aesthetically fine looking took but works well.

And this is why I love the forums: you the Jedi of fat bike things have questions for us the students

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

since 4/10/2009
    Surly's site doesn't go into too many details about the specs, which leads me to believe that pretty much any 15x150mm thru axle should work. I'm sure you've got a Maxle Lite somewhere you could try to put in there to check. If the Maxle Lite will fit, then a DT RWS thru axle will fit, and just about anything else should work.

When it comes to 15x150mm thru axles, I did not see many different thread pitches out there for options, the way I do for rear thru axles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Since the ICT/Wednesday fork isn't threaded, any 15x150mm thru axle will fit, provided the axle comes with its own threaded nut. The Paul one would be ideal but they aren't available yet. I'm hoping the Industry9 matchstix will work as well.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Surly's site doesn't go into too many details about the specs, which leads me to believe that pretty much any 15x150mm thru axle should work. I'm sure you've got a Maxle Lite somewhere you could try to put in there to check. If the Maxle Lite will fit, then a DT RWS thru axle will fit, and just about anything else should work.

When it comes to 15x150mm thru axles, I did not see many different thread pitches out there for options, the way I do for rear thru axles.

The fork has no threads, thus I'm looking for something that includes a threaded nut.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The fork has no threads, thus I'm looking for something that includes a threaded nut.
    Ah, I see. I haven't really looked at one of these closely enough to notice that "feature".

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    DT doesn't make an RWS in that configuration?

Haven't looked, but it struck me as the obvious answer, so I'm guessing, no.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you find something, please post your solution. The front (and the rear!) axles on the ICT are a bit of a pain.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    DT doesn't make an RWS in that configuration?

Haven't looked, but it struck me as the obvious answer, so I'm guessing, no.
    I looked. Nada. I have a dt rws 15x150 but it relies on the fork being threaded.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Another complication with the Surly fork is the depth of the dropouts themselves. The stock axle does not fit "end to end" inside the fork, and relies on the threaded bolt to reach into the axle to form a snug fit.

My 155mm caliper isnt long enough to span end to end on the fork. I would guess nearly 4mm short, which would require either a recessed nut into one of the fork legs, or a 159mm+ axle to thread on the outside of the fork leg.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Subcribe

turtles make me hot
    Don't bother asking Paragon Machine Works to make anything. I asked them about making DT Swiss RWS thru bolts for 190mmx10mm rears and 135x9mm fronts for fat bikes and they said they'd require a substantial amount of money from me to make these. I would have had to make like 200 of these things and sell them all at a hefty profit to just make my money back.
    I like turtles

Anchorage, AK
    Here is an option. ICAN makes pretty good stuff. I have one of their 135mm axles with a few thousand trouble free miles.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/ICAN-Fat-Bike-...627?nav=SEARCH
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I don't think the ones on ebay will work, for the same reason I mentioned on #12

The White Jeff W
    I have one of the Chinese thru axle Q/R axles. Its too long for the ICT fork. The dropouts of the carbon fork it was made for are much thicker than the ICT fork.

Ive considered taking it to a machine shop & having it turned down & rethreaded but havent.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Also subscribe. Hope there's a good solution!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Niner RLT 9
    Surly ICT Ops

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have an ice cream truck fork on my On One right now. Rides nice, but I agree...a pain to deal with taking on and off.

As a simple temporary solution, have you thought about tacking a small section of 6mm allen to the silver bolt itself (making it one piece....bolt and allen) as a fix? the axle tightens down fine for me with one wrench only. Wouldn't make it "tool free" would would make it "don't have to take a multi-tool out" free.

Hunter

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I have one of the Chinese thru axle Q/R axles. Its too long for the ICT fork. The dropouts of the carbon fork it was made for are much thicker than the ICT fork.

Ive considered taking it to a machine shop & having it turned down & rethreaded but havent.
    Post a picture here please.

Flappity flappity flap
    What a conundrum. If you make it tool free, it's a quick release--and everyone on the FB sub knows quick releases suck.

I like the 'epoxy a wrench to it' approach, myself. Really looks like a QR in my head though...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    Post a picture here please.
    The qr is 22mm longer than the Surly axle when closed.

No moss...

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    The qr is 22mm longer than the Surly axle when closed.
    Hmmm. I wonder if you could get away with the 135mm version.
    --Peace

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder if you could get away with the 135mm version.
    I think it might work but you would have to make a small spacer to take up the gap between the nut & dropout.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The axle on the Framed carbon fork has a nut that sits pretty far inside a pocket on the fork leg. If you know what length you need I can measure mine.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon777 View Post
    The axle on the Framed carbon fork has a nut that sits pretty far inside a pocket on the fork leg. If you know what length you need I can measure mine.
    That fork takes the ICAN axle in the above picture.
    --Peace