I9/Hed Wheelset- Mtbr.com

Thread: I9/Hed Wheelset

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I9/Hed Wheelset

mtbr member

Mine are on order!

Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Mine are on order with Green I9 hubs. Four weeks from now I'll be rocking a sweet pair on last years Farley.
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

All fat, all the time.
    dayum.....

" expect to pay around $2650 for set."

This place needs an enema
    Two things come to mind. First, HED is really getting into fat. Who knew?

Second, every person I've ever talked to about their I9 straight-pull wheels has said that the wheels more or less detensioned themselves after the first ride. Given that HED won't allow mere mortals to build with these rims, I'm left to wonder what a normal guy is to do when his new wheels go slack a few rides in. Send them back? Wave a magic wand over them? Ouija board intervention?

Honest question. How do you service something that is certain to need it, quickly, yet that the parent company doesn't want you to touch?

mtbr member
    I was curious about that as well. I remember reading an article on Fat-Bike.com that talked about a proprietary process they use to simulate the stresses on a wheel you would get during riding, then they retensioned.

"After the wheel was laced and tensioned, it gets put into a press that gives even side pressure to all of the spokes to simulate riding stresses and after that, the wheel gets retensioned and trued up and is ready for the trail."

A Visit to Hed HQ | FAT-BIKE.COM

Of course it could be total marketing BS!
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

aka bOb
    My straight pull I'9 29er's went all to heck in about 15 miles and had to be all re-tensioned. Cool looking but never again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Two things come to mind. First, HED is really getting into fat. Who knew?

Second, every person I've ever talked to about their I9 straight-pull wheels has said that the wheels more or less detensioned themselves after the first ride. Given that HED won't allow mere mortals to build with these rims, I'm left to wonder what a normal guy is to do when his new wheels go slack a few rides in. Send them back? Wave a magic wand over them? Ouija board intervention?

Honest question. How do you service something that is certain to need it, quickly, yet that the parent company doesn't want you to touch?
    Huh. I've ridden a set of I9 Utralights since 2008, and have never retensioned the wheels. Broke a few spokes during that time and replaced the bearings once. Other than that, not a single problem. I rarely ride that bike since I went fat, but it was my primary bike for 4 years, so at least a few thousand miles on 'em. Any idea what the tension should be? They're 26ers.

Anchorage, AK
    Here is my experience with the HED Big Deal. In my 25 years of bike riding I never broke a spoke or spoke nipple until I purchased a HED Big Deal wheel for the front of my Borealis. I broke two nipples in the first 6 months. I re-laced the wheel with conventional nipples and haven't had a problem since. That said, I plan on having them make me a Big Fat Deal for the rear, and if I have similar problems, I'll just re-lace it also. Granted that may create some warranty risk, but a warranty that can't be handled by my LBS isn't worth much anyway.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    I left a comment on that article - I'd be interested in folks who are here thoughts also:

drjon - 09/16/14 - 2:20pm
    So, will the hubs be mated to a specific offset drilling at the rim? Im guessing if the hubs are threaded, with alu spokes, they are not designed to flex to a centre drilled rim, or perhaps a 29+ rim. Also, Id be interested how the alu spokes deal with the purportedly low tension the HED rims are built to. That is an impressive weight for the wheels!
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

Living the thug life.
    I am not an expert wheel builder, but I know how and have built several up. It is my understanding that flexy rims benefit from a flexier build (spokes/tension) and vice versa. That was actually the reason I9 gave several years ago as to why they were not building with the uber light stans rims. I have held the big deal rim in my hand, and it has to be the flexiest thing I ever felt. Scary flexy. This I9 build seems contrary to what I know. Mikesee I am sure can give more info right or wrong. FYI, despite the extreme flex I felt in holding just the rim, I have never heard of anyone complaining of flex with a build hed wheel.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    I've broken quite a few I9 spokes in the past. Neat looking hubs and wheels but I would go with conventional spokes myself.
    The LPG

get down!
    shameless plug... I have a HED big deal wheelset on eBay but would gladly sell or trade to an MTBR member. It was a spontaneous decision and I unfortunately have to make some $$ for bills. Sapim spokes so you dont 'have to worry about this I9 BS.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE