I know snow season is just starting...but....summer tires...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

I know snow season is just starting...but....summer tires...

No need for snow/winter tires - the Bud/Lou combo is perfect in my opinion.

I'm thinking I want new tires for next summer tho. I've been running a Nate 4.0 in back and Ground Control 4.6 up front (on 65mm tubeless carbon wheels) for summer/dirt riding. The Nate just seem old - rubber getting hard. And I'm sure there are better front tires than a GC 4.6.

I'd like to stick with a 4.0 - 4.2 in back and 4.4 - 4.6 in front. Because. Unless there is a compelling reason not to.

Terrain is mixed - hard pack, some loose stuff, marble-y sandy stuff, shale, climbing, fast descents...may hit Fruita with this winter....

Would prefer light-ish (of course) but not at the expense of decent durability, traction.

Tire suggestions? Thanks.

Brandon
    '15 Fatboy Expert, Bluto, carbon wheels, carbon bar, more...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What about a Fast Trak Fat in a 4.6" (I think it is still an option) and Edna rear? Or juggernaut pro for rear? Juggernaut is way lighter than my ground control and a fast roller.
    I like my ground control 4.0 up front currently but it is still nearly new, so will be a while before replacing.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Jumbo Jim 4.0 back Jumbo Jim 4.4 front.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    I'm running a minion fbf 4.8 up front in 120tpi and a van helga 60 tpi in the rear. They are amazing. No issues in pisgah, dented lots of rims and the tires keep on rolling

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shaquille_o'wheel View Post
    I'm running a minion fbf 4.8 up front in 120tpi and a van helga 60 tpi in the rear. They are amazing. No issues in pisgah, dented lots of rims and the tires keep on rolling
    Been running that same tire combo and itís been great. Whatís the most durable fat bike rim youíve found for riding in Pisgah?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What's the point of staggering sizes? Slacker angles? "Oversteer"-inducing set up? I did that one year. Didn't care much for the heft up front. For summer, I'm just running JJ 4.0 front and rear. I wouldn't mind trying out Hodag's, either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benmcgill View Post
    Been running that same tire combo and itís been great. Whatís the most durable fat bike rim youíve found for riding in Pisgah?
    I guess the surly marge lite has been the most durable. I would steer clear of the hed alloys. I have been testing out some fatback big su's, and they have been pretty good. Still dented both. I was able to hammer one back a bit. The alex blizzerk is the other I have run a lot. At 84mm wide, they were too wide for 4" tires. I killed a lot of them, that being said, they never left me stranded or with a flat. I could have no tension on a spoke and it was still straight. I think the narrower version would be about ideal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shaquille_o'wheel View Post
    I guess the surly marge lite has been the most durable. I would steer clear of the hed alloys. I have been testing out some fatback big su's, and they have been pretty good. Still dented both. I was able to hammer one back a bit. The alex blizzerk is the other I have run a lot. At 84mm wide, they were too wide for 4" tires. I killed a lot of them, that being said, they never left me stranded or with a flat. I could have no tension on a spoke and it was still straight. I think the narrower version would be about ideal.
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I have beaten the hell out of my rolling Darryl rims and it will be time for an upgrade soon.