I hate wearing glasses, how do you protect your self from..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I hate wearing glasses, how do you protect your self from..

The snow reflection..

This is getting kind of old, but maybe now that I have a Halo band the sweat will not be as much of a issue with the glasses..

In any case, do you guys have any tricks for the hurt-y eyes..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Goggles? But you could try some football/baseball style eye black, when no one is around to see!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    These people are doing it all wrong.

Here's my suggestion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fat & Single
    The HALO bands work very well but i usually dont wear mine on casual rides even know the sweat is running out of the helmet pad after 30 mins.
    Races and especially longer enduros i always wear it as i dont have time to remove glasses and squeeze my helmet down to flush out the sweat.

The HALO's need to be washed every ride or they stink like hell

For me riding without tinted safety glasses would be like leaving home without my helmet, i dont ride without them. Even night rides i wear clear or yellow glasses.

On a few occasions i have got whacked in the face by a branch or better still if the rider in front has knocked a thorny bush and it swings back and collects you across the eyes and nose.

They are a pain sometimes with the heat over here but i places eyewear as high on the list as my helmet
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Uvex Genesis safety glasses with perscription insert, multiple lenses, velcro strap to put 2 dark lenses together on the frame for biking at altitude on roads surrounded by spring snow at altitude like the White Pass----all of this at +15C. Below -10C neoprene beak style face mask or pile neck tube means nothing stays fog free except dual-lense ski goggles, clear ones are available for polar darkness. Here in the subarctic, the sun is so low on the S horizon sun snow glare is not much of an issue until about mid-Feb. Until then the Uvex lightly tinted lense, or even the yellow lense, is fine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Huh?

So what's the question? Sweat in your eyes or glare??
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

Fat & Single
    ^^^ thats the ones i wear, UVEX Genesis/ignite/pheos, it helps that they all come free at work though.

My faves at the monent are Ignite but ours come with black frames.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I hate wearing glasses, how do you protect your self from..-skus4413-700x700.jpg  

Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

bigger than you.
    Uvex Safety Glasses with amber lenses cut the glare and add definition to the trail without darkening.

Superflying on Haven
    Close your eyes and get a dog for visually impaired to lead your bike on the trails
    I never stopped trying hard and I succeeded... some times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewQ View Post
    Huh?

So what's the question? Sweat in your eyes or glare??
    Any other choices/alternatives besides glasses..

mtbr member
    Although I feel like a lone wolf odd ball when I wear them I am becoming a fan of ski goggles. I am currently looking to find a low profile version of them. I may also try some smaller motorcycle goggles that have the foam pad around the rim. Getting the wind off of my eyes is nice.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I don't see an alternative.

UV rays. Long term eye health first, buddy. There is no substitute as far as I'm aware.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    I think you'll need to suck it up and use glasses......you will at some point in your life.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

HIKE!
    Saw slits in Walrus tusk ivory, make some sweet goggles:

Object: Snow Goggles « ethnology @ snomnh

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I had the same problem with sweat in the eyes. It was magically solved when I got a Spiuk helmet.
    Don't know if it's intentionally part of the helmet's design, but it works for me!

mtbr member
    goggles or glasses. i like goggles when its below zero! i use goggles that have a lens that reacts to sunlight. they look clear and work great in the dark but in the sun they also block uv. i prefer the style designed to go over glasses because i find the extra volume helps ventilate and prevent fogging.

mtbr member
    I'm using Oakley Windjackets with prescription Transition lenses.

And a Buff to soak up any sweat.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Alternatives to glasses, for eye protection from sun only? I don't know if they make sun contacts(?), and yeah, to have a barrier in front of your eye otherwise, intended for impact protection or not, you are wearing some kind of glasses kinda by definition.

I wear a Halo all summer, I do flip it around so the band is on the outside, for some reason, it irritates my skin, odd...

That said, works well, love it.

I wear Oakley Heaters if I can. They're big, old school, have oodles of coverage, fantastic optics for so much wrap, and they pretty much disappear on my face, just like a good pair of shades should.

Busted my last clear lens, haven't found a suitable replacement yet, really missing them....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I hate wearing glasses, how do you protect your self from..-shades.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Moderator Moderator
    Some glasses are more comfy than others. Really safe for impacts too. I've tried a lot of brands, as I am a serial sunglasses loser/breaker, and my clear ones from ZeroRH are far and above the comfiest I've ever tried. Recently ordered these tinted ones from them on clearance:
    Bicycling products by ZeroRH - BikeTiresDirect

I have a pinhead, YMMV depending on model specs.

Members who have read this thread: 0