I didn't want to ask, but here goes. New vs. old Mukluk question.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

I didn't want to ask, but here goes. New vs. old Mukluk question.

I didn't want to start an overly subjective thread, but I am sort of freaking out. If you are on this thread, you probably understand the kind of freaking out I am feeling.
    I have a 2012 Blue Mukluk. It is mostly stock, save for the cockpit, seat and I put a pair of Nates on it.
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2015 Green(sold as frame only) Mukluk that a shop built up as a 1x with Marge Lites and Maxis Minions(4.8). It would be a upgrade over my bike in terms of brakes, lighter wheels with bigger tires and Alternators.
    I can do this deal for about $1100 plus my trade.(Give or take a few bucks)
    The money isn't the issue, but I wonder if I just do a couple inexpensive upgrade to my bike(namely brakes), will I be just as happy. I did just win a pair of Holy Rolling Darryl's off of eBay as an upgrade cause I like the looks of the rims with holes.
    Is the newer frame geo and the other little tweaks Salsa made over the past few years worth the trouble.
    Another thing is the shop is four hours away and I would have to wait until MLK Day to go get it cause I'm a teacher and Saturdays are used up now by my kids sports.
    If you took the time to read this, thank you. If you have any insight and could help me out with your opinion or experience, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Obviously, no matter what I choose, I will be happy and this is a small problem to have. Just wondering if anyone can help me out.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

bigger than you.
    it seems like a significant upgrade. go for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What a problem you have! What are the specs of the new build? Did you buy the 2012 new? Depending on the components they used, I would say go for it too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Pull that trigger, it seems like quite a good price and upgrade.

mtbr member
    I'm actually partial to the old blue Muks. My wife still has an XS frame. I have it setup with Clownshoes and BFLs with a 1x drivetrain. My newer Muk wouldn't fit such a wide tire setup.
    I'd say the old one is worth the upgrades. Plus you'll have some cash left over compared to trading for a newer one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You guys aren't helping. Just kidding. Good points and thank you.I did buy my Muk new. The new Muk has x5 components. Looks like most of the $ went into the wheels and frame. It does have BB7 brakes. My blue Muk has x7 stuff and BB5 brakes. I haven't had a problem with them, except for they sing to me every once in a while. I can't stop wondering, knowing how much I like mine, will I totally dig it more with the holy rims. Or just go for it, like most are saying. I wish that I had a need for two fat bikes. Please keep the advice coming.
    Thanks

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    it seems like a significant upgrade. Go for it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yep - it's a upgrade all around.
    I'd do it in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Counterpoint here: It is an upgrade...BUT....the big upgrade is the new 2016 geo. I have a 2014 Muk which is the same as the 2015 save for a 150mm front hub. I did a quick ride on the 2016 which has the same geo as a blackborrow and could feel a big difference in maneuverability just riding on the road. Alternators are nice but I have yet to touch mine. Also, 4.8 tires on 65mm rims aren't that much wider than nates on 80mm rims (if at all). So yeah, it will be a little lighter, components a little nicer but your old bike + $1100 could bump you up to a used blackborrow which has the geo you really want. If you like your bike as is, I say stick with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I also have a 2012 Mukluk, I have set it up as 1 x 10. Mine is the Muk 2 with the holy R.D. rims. Last weekend I got to demo a few bikes including the Blackborough and Beargrease at a Salsa demo day. The new geometry is really nice, steering is more neutral, but for snow only use the 2012 is a bit more stable. It depends on your needs, but your old bike can be worthy of upgrading. You already have the rims...
    Have you had an opportunity to ride the newer geometry bike? That should be the deciding factor. Price is good, which ride do YOU prefer.

rth009
    May 2010
    Is the new mukluk 1x10 with X5? Do you like 1x10? 1x10 would not be enough gear range for me on a fatbike unless maybe I lived somewhere flat and could use a big ring up front. And while I haven't used it, X5 seems kind of cheap for such a nice frame, especially one where the tires are $100 a piece.

I'd consider Getting a set of xt brakes (available online for $180) and a bud up front and keep your blue muk. I had one of the red and black 2012 muk 2 set up like that and it was great. I only sold it cuz I wanted Bluto and a Lou out back

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks again for the responses. I went to the LBS today to put on new wheels and the dude talked me out of it and to go get the new Muk. I will go next week on MLK day to at least ride it and compare.
    I had myself talked into keeping the blue one, but now it seems that I should just not be hasty and ride the green one.
    Still open to suggestions, and again they are much appreciated. I will let you know what happens after next week, hopefully with photos.
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So... Not like you need more convincing, but... That is a legit deal. I've been rallying an 07 pugs for three seasons, purchased after trying a 12 muk out. Its a sweet bike, but... Both have limitations on trail. I recently built a 14' muk up amd.... Damb. Do it. Geo is sweet, adjustable chainstay, and alt drop outs... Wins all around. Hop on da train, you won't look back