I Am Curious (Fatbike)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I Am Curious (Fatbike)

Lost everything in the Campfire. I am dying to get out there right now and I'm talking now! I am tired of looking and want to get a 2019 Salsa Beargrease Deore 1x for Summer trails and lightweight/ultralight bikepacking, everything BUT snow and mud (not my cup of tea). Lack of mounting points not an issue. REI has them for $1840. Despite the big corporate flavor, I like REI, I have been shopping there since before most of you were born. My fatbike experince consists of brief parking lot test rides. We are moving to Oregon! I like the Cascades and climbing - on efficient bikes. What else do you suggest? My friend owns a shop that sells Rocky Mountain Bicycles and of course QBP products. There's a sweet used Wednesday on ebay with Nextie rims for about the same! Try and talk me out of the Beargrease, I am a reasonable man.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you are going to get it for bike packing, make sure it has good rack mounts on the frame and fork. That said, there are better bike packing bikes and setups. 4" tires are not 4" of suspension. A 29 or 29+ bike is usually better suited. Might help to know what kind of places you intend to ride it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No place specific, any place in the west is fair game. I had a 2016 Fargo and liked it a lot after I put some lighter wheels and 2.4 Icons tubeless on it, but I felt like I could use more Cush. I ride alone 95% of the time and I知 old so I知 pretty cautious on descents. I had an older Blur and I have another dually in my future, but I can稚 spend that much on a bike right now. I知 looking to try fat without spending tons of cash and not being in love with the bike, and I would like something that climbs ok considering its lower cost, I think the frame and fork would be worth upgrading the parts if I get into it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by venturi95 View Post
    ... want to get a 2019 Salsa Beargrease Deore 1x for Summer trails...

There's a sweet used Wednesday on ebay with Nextie rims for about the same!
    I ride alone 95% of the time and I知 old so I知 pretty cautious on descents.
    Both sound compelling to me.

I vote to seize the day "old" man

I quite like riding my fattie in all seasons. The traction and surefootedness are addicting.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    I can only say that I love my Wednesday, I like steel. I知 sure the Beargrease is lighter, by a lot. I personally like mounting points in case I want to change my setup for different style rides. My Wednesday is rolling on Edna痴 and I don稚 find them all that slow really, great tire!

I知 sure you will be happy with either choice, good luck!

turtles make me hot
    I'd go take that Wednesday for a spin.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A fat bike is the only type of bike you can ride in 4 seasons on and off road. It is very forgiving when you pick the wrong line, and has endless traction for climbing. I can cruz down the road at 15mph no issues with pretty knobby tires at higher PSI, drop the PSI for trail riding, and pump it back up and cruz at 15mph again (or just leave it at trail riding PSI and work a little harder on road).

What I like doing the most with my fat bike is going off trail in the every season except summer (undergrowth is dead, much easier to pick your way through the woods).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1 for Wednesday. Fun to ride, mounts galore, easy-entry price point (but get new brakes immediately) and should be great as a 29+ as well. I blew half of my second wheel set funds on studded tires, so maybe next year for 29+...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    OP: I Am Curious (Fatbike)

That is an OLD reference. I'm sure most here won't get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    OP: I Am Curious (Fatbike)

That is an OLD reference. I'm sure most here won't get it.
    Yes, but since one person got it, it was worth it.

This place needs an enema
    Yes, but since one person got it, it was worth it.

I don't get it. Must be a whippersnapper!

Go check out that Wednesday.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I don't get it. Must be a whippersnapper!

Go check out that Wednesday.
    I Am Curious (Yellow)...A 1967 film...have never seen it.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

All fat, all the time.
    Huh, fat bi-kurious?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Op,

It sounds like a fat bike but not be your best choice. I like my fat bike but it is a lot more effort to ride long distance than my lightweight 29er. It also complicates bike packing because the tires are a PIA to deal with if you have a problem far from home. I can carry 3 29er tubes to one fat bike tube. Yes, I run tubeless but also carry tubes when far from home. I can cover more miles in less time and see more stuff on a faster bike. A fast light bike isn't always about racing, sometimes it is about covering long distance faster and with less effort. I also think that the suspension has a lot more options on a non fat bike, which goes a long way in my elbows and wrist not aching after a long day.

For reference, I have a Wednesday and a moonlander. Both are great bikes but when I am not riding snow or sand, I always opt for my 29er. I have a new blur and it is the best bike I have ever owned. My bike packing setup is a ti hardtail because I need the framebag space.

Fat bikes are cool and can ride anywhere that you want to ride but they aren't always the best choice for every application.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

curious no more

I Am Curious (Fatbike)-img_2051.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Lighten the load

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2051.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	423.6 KB 
ID:	1247273
    I知 happy for you that your going to scratch your fatbike itch! Now please from one old guy to another, put some Jumbo Jim tires on to lighten the rotational weight for summer riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am aware of the JJ, but I have a 27.5 rim and I have only seen them in 26. I must say, The traction of the massive Minions on good dirt is freaking bottomless, and decent traction where none should exist (loose over hard, the stuff that makes me squeeze my legs together real hard and bear down on private parts). I absolutely hear what you're saying about rotational weight, tubeless is first on my list. Some other observations: There is a great deal of clearance between the cranks and chainstays. The bars and stem are just mass produced aluminum, but the finish is superb. The hubs, rims, and crank seem fairly high quality, the brakes are super nice for normal riding, I haven't gone down anything to stress them yet. I have already thanked the gods for the versatility of the big 'ol tires. I feel like I got a very good deal, especially given "the new economy" (stuff costs about twice what seems reasonable - Hey, I said I was old). Bottom Line: She's big and so effing fine... don't act like you don't know what I'm talkin' bout, cause you know exactly what i"m talking about. {smiley face}