mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Hydraulic brakes with one lever

I am looking for a hydraulic brake setup with only one lever for my Fat bike. Please help!!!!

mtbr member
    You mean 1 lever for front and rear brakes?

How would that work?

You would have no modulation front to rear.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    Giant Trance Advanced 1
    Trek Farley 9.6 + Lauf
    Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    Scott Solace 10 Disc

aka bOb
    I suppose it could be made but regulating between the front and rear would be tough. I guess you could do it somewhat with different sized rotors. If it was me and for what I ride I would just run a front brake and get used to humping the rear tire when needed You could also ask this on the brake forum, might get some ideas from brake gurus as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes 1 lever for both brakes. I have seen it posted here in 2010 but the link didn't work.

aka bOb

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Sorry that didn't help but thanks for trying.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ShreddinFatt53 View Post
    Sorry that didn't help but thanks for trying.
    You mean they didn't say what you wanted to hear?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You mean they didn't say what you wanted to hear?
    Are you talking mechanical or hydro? Oops I should have referred back to the title

Ooops quoted myself, I'm awesome

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hydraulic....................

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would want to incorporate an adjustable proportioning valve so you could tweak the braking force applied to each caliper. You are also going to need a larger master cylinder to actuate both calipers with a single lever.

Given variable braking force needs depending on the situation on the trail, I don't think you could get this set up properly without cubic dollars, personally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I like the idea but understand the brake modulation issue raised.Years ago when anti-lock brakes were new they used a simple chamber with a adjustable spring loaded piston to prevent lock up.This could make the system far more user friendly with this single modification.

aka bOb
    I would think it would be easier to accomplish with a mechanical brake like a bb7. Something where you could tune the pad contact points individually to help control front/rear power output.

mtbr member

Hydraulic brakes with one lever

Definitely going to be easier to setup with mechanical brakes. If you had a good pair of BB7's properly adjusted with a 180mm rotor up front and a 160mm rotor in the rear I bet you could make it work pretty well. Hardest part would be getting each brake adjusted to the same point of initial engagement/bite then maintaining that as the pads wear. Problem solvers does make a part to make one lever braking possible though:
    http://problemsolversbike.com/products/cable_doubler

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am looking for a hydraulic brake setup with only one lever for my Fat bike. Please help!!!!
    My brother had a Motorcycle accident that left him with only his left arm.. when we made him his mountain bike I used BB7 mechanical brakes with a cable splitter. I was able to fine tune the brakes with the barrel adjusters which allowed one brake or the other to engage first.. also used different size rotors to create better brake balance..

FYI.. I felt it would be very difficult and heavy to use Hydro's with tees and or proportioning valves to create the same end result..

Just A Mountain Biker.
    There was a member on here "C.J." that I believe had a one sided setup, he is located in Tucson, AZ. He runs a bed & breakfast, or at least he used to, the website is "Let's Go Outside?" | WOW Arizona!. I can't find any of his old threads unfortunately but I think that has to do more with the crappy search engine of MTBR. Good luck.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I have a bike polo buddy that has a hydro single lever/dual brake setup. I'll see if he has any insight.

Edit: So he said he has a dual Bengal hydro disc brake setup. This isn't his bike, but it looks to be a dual hydro/single lever setup to me (with gyro even! ): https://leagueofbikepolo.com/bike/bo...maybe-not-tuff
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    I'm sure I've seen this on a bike. Guy had one arm.

Didn't look too closely though.

I'd be inclined to look at a manufacturer like Hope who sell the individual components.

It may be that the lever of one model of their brakes pushes enough fluid to operate 2 callipers of another of their brakes. It wouldn't surprise me if they have not already done this for some of the war veterans riding mtbs in the UK.

Of course, it would be much simpler to do with cables, but that's not the question asked. However if a twin pull cable lever was used, then this would do the job

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How much mechanical force would be needed to activate both F&R brakes if using a BB7 or similar over a hydro unit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    grimeca system 16. go home son, it's been done!

No seriously, if you find a system 16, you've got exactly what you need to make a linked brake system, bit of re-designing and you'll be fine!

I'm about 95% certain it had a 6-piston caliper on the front, but 2 of those were linked to the 4 piston rear. Came with a proportioning valve.
    so you remove the 6 piston caliper and run twin 4-pistons off one lever, play with the prop-valve to balance things out, and you're golden.

Do it!!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!