Hybrid platform/SPD pedals out there?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hybrid platform/SPD pedals out there?

Hey all. Hoping that you can help me with this. I have been searching for a good pair, or any pair for that matter, of Hybrid pedals that offer SPD clip's system and have a large platform. I am looking for a pair to throw onto my Fat bike for Winter Snow riding. I like being clipped in, but on occasion need to hit the gas before I can clear the snow and clip into the pedals. so, I need something that will give me a good platform.
    Throw out any options please. But I am looking for something with a smaller profile if it exist.
    Again, for use with SPD systems
    Thanks!
    "Stay Upright!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I got these for my wife for her birthday and they seem pretty great, though twice as heavy as my crankbros candy 1: Shimano M324 SPD Pedals - REI.com They're fairly low profile, as well, but the platform side is pretty grippy - painful to ride barefoot.

mtbr member

Hybrid platform/SPD pedals out there?

Thanks!
    Looking for something with SPD on both sides and more high end. Shaving some weight off, but still providing grip. I know several DH guys are using clipless platforms, but most I'm finding are a different clip system. Even found a magnetic one that looked pretty cool, but I'm using the same shoes in two bikes and not looking to switch cleats each time it snows.
    I have the Shimano XT Trail pedals now, which offer a bit more platform, but not enough. And not enough grip when not clipped in.
    Again, not sure it exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Stay Upright!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I don't think anyone makes double sided SPD platforms.

I have the PD-T780 Deore XT pedals, they are single sided but sound like what you're looking for.

Sidenote: I have the M324 on a beater winter bike and they are really reliable if extremely heavy and kinda ugly. Each pedal weighs a pound but they will last 20+ years of awful conditions.

blood in / blood out
    You should look at the Shimano XTR M9020 pedals. I own these and love them. Or google Shimano M-636 pedals, if that is what you are looking for, let me know, I have a pair that I could part with.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Crank Brothers have the Mallet which you can clip into from both sides or they have a hybrid, half flat/ half clip called the double shot. They have quality stuff and a much lighter cleat/pedal system than Shimano.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The mallet looks pretty great

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Right, but that uses the egg beaters. Looking for SPD. Although, that is the exact style pedal I'm looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Stay Upright!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    These are not 2 sided but i like them very much: https://www.bike-discount.de/media/o...961_806927.jpg

They are Wellgo wam d-10: WAM-D10 - Wellgo

mtbr member
    I have used the M424 for many years and love them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    I have the 424 on all my bikes, even my fat bike. They are cheap and work well. I tried the 324 and it was ok for the times I wanted a platform, but I always went back to the 424. They aren't that heavy either. You can find them for really cheap too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shimano M424, 647 is all I've seen recently. Pretty poor substitute for what you want.

Those M636 look a bit nicer though, but don't think they are still offered new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I use SPD in the summer and wouldn't change, but I used Mallets in the winter. Any SPD "platform" that I've seen is really just an spd pedal with a largely-useless cage around it. It seems that the SPD mechanism sticks too far out beyond the cage for the cage to be of much use. The Mallet has the eggbeater mechanism and it is lower profile so the platform is really effective. I ride the Mallets with regular snow boots in really cold weather and the fact that the eggbeater is in the middle doesn't bother me at all.

Crank Brothers makes shiny pretty parts, but I wouldn't actually call it "quality". IMO their products fail or wear out far too quickly - I only use the Mallet because the design works so well for my snow-biking purposes.