Husker du vs Nate- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Husker du vs Nate

I know that there have been threads on this but as time passes there will be more people with experience with these tires. I was wanting the best set up for general trail use in wet and dry conditions (not snow or sand). Two Nates or Two HD's or one of each front and back ? I ride everything from mud to rocks to hard pack etc. Any one tried the above set ups and can comment on the differences? Cheers

Dirt Huffer
    I once biked up a 3 tier staircase with my Nates on. It just kept on clawing away.

All fat, all the time.
    I haven't been in a situation where I was wishing for more traction than the hudus have.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    If I had to chose? Ultimate traction? Nate x 2.

Faster rolling? HD rear, Nate front.

I'd not run a HD up front for all out trail bombing, they will wash in the same way a Larry or BFL will, predictable, but they do have a limit.

Nate? Haven't found a limit yet.

So Bud? Come here you big lug, come to papa....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I haven't been in a situation where I was wishing for more traction than the hudus have.
    Same here, HuDu's front and back on trails only. Haven't rode them in an all out mud situation but plenty of wet rides, they are fast rolling and perform beautifully on hardpack/loose/loam and rocky trails. Bloody good tyres, i haven't ridden Nates so cant comment but they certainly scream traction just by looking at them.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm really wanting the HuDu's, as I think they might be the best combo of traction and rolling resistance.

Of course I will prob buy some Nates to play with during the wet months, which may never come here in WI.

Bad cat!
    Faster rolling? HD rear, Nate front

Second that, Nate up front imo, it just won't let you down. I have an ultralite hudu in back for the summer, and it works well too, but to be honest I don't really notice the 'drag' of a Nate on the trail, so I'd just as soon go Nate/Nate.

One other difference is that the HuDu is some soft rubber, pretty grippy but it's wearing fast. Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this?

Knard will be worth watching! Might want to wait...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have the HD in the rear and Nate up front. Great setup for XC riding.

Geordie biker
    Nates are deeper than the huskers, they bite and self clean like no other fatbike tire.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If speed is important to you, go with the Husker Du's. If ultimate badass traction is what you're looking for go with the Nates, they are the Interco Bogger of the bike world.

I run a Husker Du on the front of my half-fat 29er where I want more speed, and run Nates on my Pug.

Frt Range, CO
    I'm waiting for all of the fat tyre stuff to sort out. In 90 days we'll have lots of new choices, Knards, Buds and Lous, not to mention Devisater and new studded tyres from 45N. These tyres cost as much as my car's tires, I want to get it right without buying 3 sets and sorting it out myself....

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    I'm waiting for all of the fat tyre stuff to sort out. In 90 days we'll have lots of new choices, Knards, Buds and Lous, not to mention Devisater and new studded tyres from 45N. These tyres cost as much as my car's tires, I want to get it right without buying 3 sets and sorting it out myself....
    i'm in for this sentiment f'sho!!

mtbr member
    So what would be the best in snow conditions? All around tire? Just trying to figure it out!

mtbr member
    Nate x2 here.
    These are the tires that fat bikes were made for- absolute trail-crushing beasts.
    I've waxed poetical about Nate here before. There are few bike products for which I feel such an affinity.
    I have not ridden the HD's, though I'd love a set. I'm sure they are awesome, especially in comparison to my former Larry/Endo setup.
    I am also excited for the new offerings we'll be seeing soon. Dillingers will soon make an appearance in my quiver.
    I was never quite the tire wh.ore/experimenter until I went fat. It's a shame they cost so much, as I'm hooked.
    -Chris

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix View Post
    So what would be the best in snow conditions? All around tire? Just trying to figure it out!
    All snow conditions are different! You'll need all of the fat tires available* to find true happiness.

*except endomorphs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    *except endomorphs
    pardon my ignorance, but I thought Endos were the default rear wheel because they were good on snow? Still trying to figure out to run on my Fatback build.

Human Test Subject
    I blame endos for a crash that bruised my shin so badly that blood pooled on the bottom of my foot. It left leg hair on my friend's pug.

mtbr member
    Brutal, tire slip out on ice?

Frt Range, CO
    I paid $15 to ship my 27tpi endo to a member who claims he'll use it. Can't understand why they still saddle new bikes with that POS.

mtbr member
    My Pugs has become my go to bike... I have a set of Nates and absolutely love them, they are the equivalent to a set of MT truck tires... that said, when I do neighborhood rides with my daughter or go on weeknight social/pub crawls, I want a less aggressive tread for two reasons 1) I don't want to burn up my Nates on the pavement 2) I don't need/want the monster truck traction on pavement..... I'm one of those fools who bought a second hand set of Endo/Larry's, but they are strictly for road/pub crawls

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    I paid $15 to ship my 27tpi endo to a member who claims he'll use it. Can't understand why they still saddle new bikes with that POS.
    I asked about that at the show this year.

They have them already, and need to use them up.

Heads up for all the Endophiles out there, it's going away, they aren't making them anymore.

Please buy them all so they can start specing bikes with tires that actually work. Also would be nice to not have to apologize for at the point of sale about how poor the traction is, and do they want a deal on a new tire right now? Just feels weird to have to do it.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I asked about that at the show this year.

They have them already, and need to use them up.

Heads up for all the Endophiles out there, it's going away, they aren't making them anymore.

Please buy them all so they can start specing bikes with tires that actually work. Also would be nice to not have to apologize for at the point of sale about how poor the traction is, and do they want a deal on a new tire right now? Just feels weird to have to do it.....
    Sounds like they need to have a big sale on them so they can deplete the supply. For my needs, I'd rather have a set of endo's than floyd's for my urban riding needs... no they don't roll as fast, but they at least have some tread for cinder, gravel, grass riding....

mtbr member
    Wow I had no idea they were that bad, I was about to pick up a 120 tpi on craigslist for 75 bucks. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    All snow conditions are different! You'll need all of the fat tires available* to find true happiness.

*except endomorphs

Sounds like that's what I am going to have to do. Then once I have all the tires, I'd have to mount them all on different wheelsets. Once I have all those wheelsets I'm going to want to build more fat bikes to put them on. Pretty sure that will turn into me owning like 10 fat bikes. Sounds good to me! See how we think, just explodes into more bikes Ha Ha!

mtbr member
    Looks like I'll probably pick up some Nates and or Knards, maybe the HuDus. Geez I already have floyds for street use

Frt Range, CO
    Sounds like that's what I am going to have to do. Then once I have all the tires, I'd have to mount them all on different wheelsets. Once I have all those wheelsets I'm going to want to build more fat bikes to put them on....Ha Ha!
    Ha, I have the same issue. I went to the Fat Bike shop to see how RD's fit a Pugs frame, started thinking about spending about 1/3 the cost of a Moonlander on a set of wheels, knew I'd end up with a frame to use the extra wheels on, bought a Moonie instead of wasting all that time in denial.

nvphatty
    Looks like I'll probably pick up some Nates and or Knards, maybe the HuDus. Geez I already have floyds for street use
    good man

Human Test Subject
    True happiness is a boatload of fat tires. Also it will prepare you for the coming fimbulwinter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Some good info - I think I'm going HD - they just look cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shaivism View Post
    Some good info - I think I'm going HD - they just look cool.
    They do look cool!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The endo has been getting some bad love. TBH I like the endo in everything except slippery stuff. Soft, dry, rocky, rooty etc. just not slippery. Yes there are better tires now but when the endo was all you could get most people wouldn't disagree that it still outgripped all other regular 26 / 29 inch tires in the right conditions, that's why people were buying fatbikes for trail riding (me anyway).
    I reckon I'll go Nate up front and HD rear for all eventualities.
    PS. Endo defo seriously sucks as a front tire, I was over the moon when the Larry came out and my bike no longer steered itself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by moose2008 View Post
    PS. Endo defo seriously sucks as a front tire, I was over the moon when the Larry came out and my bike no longer steered itself.
    I ran Endo's front and rear in the Simpson Desert Bike Challenge in 2010. The Endo' on the front was just plain scary when it came to steering. But they were fast rolling on the sand.

I'm looking forward to the 3.8" knard.

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Although I am glad not to have to ride an endomorph any longer I love that tire for sentimental reasons. My first fat bike had it front and rear since no other tire existed. I would say that the endomorph is the single biggest reason for the fat bike boom.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works View Post
    I ran Endo's front and rear in the Simpson Desert Bike Challenge in 2010. The Endo' on the front was just plain scary when it came to steering. But they were fast rolling on the sand.

I'm looking forward to the 3.8" knard.

Elvis.
    So, of the current crop of 3.8" tyres, which would you choose for Australian desert riding? (particularly the CSR)

I currently have HuDus, but with the amount of AFAP (as fast as possible) trail riding I may have worn them out by July/August 2013....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenomad View Post
    So, of the current crop of 3.8" tyres, which would you choose for Australian desert riding? (particularly the CSR)

I currently have HuDus, but with the amount of AFAP (as fast as possible) trail riding I may have worn them out by July/August 2013....
    truth... I would run Bud and Lou on Clown Shoes. Nothing beats floatation on the bad sand.

But... if you're going to hold me to the sub 4" range... I would run an Endo' on the back.
    Fast rolling, low drag. You don't need chunky knobs on the sand for forward propulsion. You need large contact patch. Floatation.

On the front I would run either a Larry, or, if your fork can take it, a Big Fat Larry.

I suggested that to a rider in the Simpson Desert Bike Challenge this year as he was riding a Surly Neck Romancer (Pug') which uses the Moonlander fork, so he was able to "size up" on the front. He sent me an email basically saying that the little bit of extra floatation on the front... helped him get the coveted 100% completion.

For general trail riding, stick to your HuDu's or Nates. (for now)

I'll be trying the Knards as soon as I can get some...

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Picked up a Nate today, I was hoping to find a HuDu local and run Nate front HuDu back, but if can't running Nates is an option. Man those nobs are big!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anybody know what a Larry is like in the rear compared to an Endo for trail riding?

mtbr member
    Larry will be better than an Endomorph for most trails. I don't know many folk who are still using Endomorphs off snow and/or sand. I've seen lots of dual-Larrys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Would you run a Larry in the opposite direction on the back? It looks as if it would grip more but might drag a bit (probably less than a Nate or HD though.)

mtbr member

So maybe a dumb question, but every where i look the Nat is listed as 26x3.8
    I picked up a 27tpi from the lbs the other day and was just noticing it is listed as 26x4 is there a typo on every catalog?
    Last edited by f00g; 10-10-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Fixed pictures

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Would you run a Larry in the opposite direction on the back? It looks as if it would grip more but might drag a bit (probably less than a Nate or HD though.)
    I run a Larry F/R with little issue. Where it does get sketchy is on slippery (damp/wet) roots. Other than that, I've put them through everything and they have been a solid, semi-quick rolling tire. (I do run Floyds in the Summer for sand, tarmac, and when the single-track is bone dry).
    When the Larry's finally wear out, I'll likely go Knard or Nate. I will get to test the Knard out in March (once my long wait is over...and my Krampus arrives).

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MiniTrail;9769014 white letter marking speaks the truth[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.. no size markings in white on these maybe because they are the "cheap" ones.

mtbr member
    Buy nates now or wait for Husker Du, Hmmmmmm

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Nate? Haven't found a limit yet.
    As a newbie fatbiker, I don't have as much experience with Fat tires as most riders on this thread. That said, I've found that the tall, widely spaced knobs on the Nate are not the best if smooth rock faces are part of your ride. But I do agree that in pretty much everything else, especially soft, loose conditions, they are hard to beat.

I have more questions than answers at the moment (especially on tires and tire pressure), but I'll be doing a lot more reading on this Fat Forum now that I have my own Fatbike (2013 Muk 3), and expect I'll learn a great deal.

mtbr member
    Dude I agree. Last year I was saying wait to see more tires. And now theres more tires and becoming to many options. This would be easier if they weren't two bills each.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I blame endos for a crash that bruised my shin so badly that blood pooled on the bottom of my foot. It left leg hair on my friend's pug.
    In Feb '09, I smashed my head on a rock because of an Endo on the front. Luckily my helmet softened the blow. IMO, those tires are best for sand, straight gravel, and pavement, not anything that's wet, dirt, or windy.

Most days I use my HuDus, but they're wearing down. The Nates are great, but slow.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member

No more Endos?

I'm really happy to have more choices and I remember 5 years ago wishing I had a tire like the Nate for many conditions but get rid of the Endo?!!? The low tread and flat cross section makes that tire the best for sand and certain snow conditions. In fact I had hoped there would someday be a big fat endo

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    My Pugs has become my go to bike... I have a set of Nates and absolutely love them, they are the equivalent to a set of MT truck tires... that said, when I do neighborhood rides with my daughter or go on weeknight social/pub crawls, I want a less aggressive tread for two reasons 1) I don't want to burn up my Nates on the pavement 2) I don't need/want the monster truck traction on pavement..... I'm one of those fools who bought a second hand set of Endo/Larry's, but they are strictly for road/pub crawls
    I have over 300 commuter miles on my Nate's
    dont worry about burning them up on the pavement
    I barely wore off the little cross hatch pattern in the center
    still have nubs on the outside

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have run a Husker Du Front and a Endo rear all summer with good results. Durning last winter I ran a Larry in the rear with OK results. This year I picked up another Husker Du and a Nate. Depending on the snow level and the type of trail I plan to switch between the two (Nate/Husker Du or Husker Du/Husker Du).

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Where is the "go to" place (on the web) for Husker Du's at the moment? Looking for a 120 TPI that is. Must ship to Northern Europe (we have snow at 500 meters above sea level, yes yes!)

Bjorn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BjornS View Post
    Where is the "go to" place (on the web) for Husker Du's at the moment? Looking for a 120 TPI that is. Must ship to Northern Europe (we have snow at 500 meters above sea level, yes yes!)

Bjorn
    AFAIK There's none available till early November if you want the Ultralights. You may find the heavier 120TPI's somewhere but I have only seen the 27 TPI's still in stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nate's just arrived...going to work perfect this winter on the trails but will get a HD for the rear when the trails dry out next summer.

mtbr member
    I ordered a set of Nates. Ill order a set of HuDu when they are available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Does anybody have any experience with the 26inch version of the Knard, I've seen them on the surly website but can't find them in any shops. In the UK I'd have to wait until the end of this year or beggining of next for a HD or UL Nate. After a bit of enquiring I'm told I might be able to get a Knard early next year. Could a 26 inch Knard be the best trail riding rear tire?

All fat, all the time.
    Does anybody have any experience with the 26inch version of the Knard, I've seen them on the surly website but can't find them in any shops. In the UK I'd have to wait until the end of this year or beggining of next for a HD or UL Nate. After a bit of enquiring I'm told I might be able to get a Knard early next year. Could a 26 inch Knard be the best trail riding rear tire?
    Are there any knard tires out there at all (29 or 26)? Won't know about "best" until people get some real world riding on them

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No Knards available as of today still.

Smash Mode: ON
    I think there are a few lucky people on them already but the masses won't get their hands on them until November IIRC. I think it will obviously be a good choice for dirt but I am wondering how it will do in sand and, more importantly, snow.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

nvphatty
    Per my email to surly, early Nov at the earliest.

mtbr member
    Found a 27 tpi HuDu today! So I'll be running Nate front HuDu back, now just need a front wheel and to get it all tuned and I'll be set! Woot!!! Until then I'm running a 2.5 DH front with 120 mm travel fork.

mtbr member
    They dont look like mud shedders to me. So it would come down to the stickiness of the trail.

They're top of my list though.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the beta! I picked up both the Nate and the HD at LBS for $10 each a few months ago and have been wondering where which should go, so I'm going to try them today on a Seattle urban ride.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the Nate on an urban ride. You will get a workout.

All fat, all the time.
    $10 fat tires, nice deal.

turtles make me hot
    Seven years later, there are SO MANY more tires. I was never a huge fan of HuDus. I like Nates but I always wished Surly would make a Bud like tire to run up front with Nate on the rear. I recently got to try some Ednas and I really like em.
    I'm hoping they make a Big Edna in either 5" or 27.5.
    I like turtles

Members who have read this thread: 42