Hurricane Fat Boy - a fork up for non offsets?- Mtbr.com
    -bustin punks

Hurricane Fat Boy - a fork up for non offsets?

At TreeFort bikes today killing time while they grabbed my order and was checking out the Fork Up models they had on the wall. Anyway, the last model listed on the package (lower right check box) was a Fat Boy model. Listed right under their Pugsley offset model.

I asked the shop about it, they were unaware of the model, and it's not on Hurricane's website yet (or the google) - but sounds like it's in the works...

FCTi

Karma Vampire
    Find a not so glowing endorsement here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/pug...er-746302.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey FCTi - I own the Fatboy, and this weekend I will be giving it the first true test (400+ driving miles round trip). Until now, the only work it has done is getting my new Mukluk home from my LBS.

I just called Fork Up direct a few weeks ago and asked if they had a non-offset version of the Pugsley. Bought it sight unseen.

I'm a little nervous as it's clearly not as secure as tossing a normal fork directly into my yakima skewers that lock (I will have an old trunk carrier with if things get hairy). However, this is expected a bit when (1) adding another moving part to the equation, and (2) the bike up there is 5-10 pounds heavier than my others.

If folks are interested in photos or a review let me know. Happy to share.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Doesn't really matter. I've used the Pugs Fork-up for many trips, installed it backwards a couple times without realizing it, and it's worked great every time. It doesn't really matter if your frame is perfectly centered on the rack, as long as it's locked in securely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just following up - Fatboy worked well, no issues.

I bought a simple canvas strap from REI to secure the back wheel to the Yakima tray. Hurricane recommends the Fatboy be positioned parrallel to the fork, but I angled it all the way back so the Fatboy skewer was resting on my Yakima tray. Seemed to eliminate the risk of any unwanted movement in transit.

-bustin punks
    Thanks for the review mike....

mtbr member
    So, this will work with an Enabler, non-offset fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    trumpus - Yep. The original Pugsley Fork-up would work with the Enabler also, it just wouldn't be centered perfectly. I have the Enabler fork on my Mukluk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yep, it'll work fine. The centering makes no functional difference once it's on the roof.

Members who have read this thread: 0