Hugo 52 or Chinese carbon wheels laced to stock Bucksaw hubs?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: letitsnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    287

    Hugo 52 or Chinese carbon wheels laced to stock Bucksaw hubs?

    I am looking to make a change to my Bucksaw over the winter - I'd like to have a rim laced to my stock hub that doesn't have cut outs, is light, strong, and easy to set up tubeless.

    Which rim do you think I should get and who would you have do the work?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tundratrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    565

    Hugo 52 or Chinese carbon wheels laced to stock Bucksaw hubs?

    I am interested in the Hugo rims for summer on my Mukluk haven't seen much on them. Will be along time before I have any money to build another wheel set. I will be mounting up studded D'5,s here really soon. I am curious why you don't want cutouts. I have unholy rd's still. It makes sense to me having no cutouts for accidental leak or grit working its way in. Lots of folks use the nextie rims here.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    217
    Nextie's or wtb scraper. I would go Mulefut50 but since you dont want cutouts.

  4. #4
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,823
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    I am looking to make a change to my Bucksaw over the winter - I'd like to have a rim laced to my stock hub that doesn't have cut outs, is light, strong, and easy to set up tubeless.

    Which rim do you think I should get and who would you have do the work?
    26" or 27.5"?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: letitsnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    287
    26"

    These will be summer only wheels.

    Nothing really against cutouts, I just like the clean look of rims that don't have them.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    568
    Fatlab also makes a nice clean looking rim

    your builder is 2 posts above mine

  7. #7
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,564
    I've beat on my 65mm nextie all summer, zero complaints. Mikesee above built mine.

  8. #8
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,823
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    26"

    These will be summer only wheels.

    Nothing really against cutouts, I just like the clean look of rims that don't have them.
    Height/weight/riding style?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    511
    What about Velocity Dually's? I'm also in the market for something I can beat the crap out of and race come next summer. I'd also like a set of Nextie BE's, but don't want to deal with the overseas shipping and waiting. I was hoping to find a used set this winter!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: letitsnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    287
    5'8"

    155lbs

    ???

  11. #11
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,101
    27.5 Velocity Duallys.
    I like turtles

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: letitsnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    287
    Or maybe I should just stick with the stock Marge Lites? Set them up tubeless with a faster rolling tire, like Husker Du or Jumbo Jims??

    It is nice to be able to just run stuff over without having to worry about wrecking fancy stuff.

    It sucks to have these tough life decisions to make...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crunch406's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Mikesee built me a set of Hugo 52s on Salsa hubs 27.5+. I was running my Marge Lites tubeless with Knards on my Bucksaw. The B+ wheels with Maxxis Chronicle 27.5 x3" set up is only about 3/4lb lighter, but the rolling resistance is where I feel the biggest difference. If I'm climbing in loose stuff, I can feel a little floatation loss, but everywhere else the Bucksaw has been transformed into a rocket! I thought the bike was a blast going downhill, now I really have to keep myself in check, or I'll get carried away with...
    And, it still goes over everything in its path that I don't want to go around.
    Surly Krampus
    Salsa Bucksaw1 4"/B+

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: letitsnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch406 View Post
    Mikesee built me a set of Hugo 52s on Salsa hubs 27.5+. I was running my Marge Lites tubeless with Knards on my Bucksaw. The B+ wheels with Maxxis Chronicle 27.5 x3" set up is only about 3/4lb lighter, but the rolling resistance is where I feel the biggest difference. If I'm climbing in loose stuff, I can feel a little floatation loss, but everywhere else the Bucksaw has been transformed into a rocket! I thought the bike was a blast going downhill, now I really have to keep myself in check, or I'll get carried away with...
    And, it still goes over everything in its path that I don't want to go around.
    Excellent info - thanks!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    507
    I would try the jj's first they are light and fast rolling before I spent money on new hoops.
    When I got my BS I had derby s with purgatory's built for it they are light fast and fun. A week ago I got my winter rims built. Whiskey 70mm rim with jj s they are only 4 to 5 oz s heavier than the derby s and have very little rolling resistance.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    511
    What about traction and ride quality?
    Last edited by jpfurn; 10-20-2015 at 03:52 AM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,971
    I have Light Bicycle 65mm's with Hodag and Mammoth tubeless. Built myself, set up was a breeze with just a wrap of tape over the nipple holes. Waiting for that Schwalbe Dirt Wizard, aka Jumbo Jim to show up retail.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-25-2016, 08:20 AM
  2. Any stock 27+ wheels with 150x15, 177x12 hubs?
    By Terp in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 12:52 PM
  3. Bucksaw carbon wheels 150x15/177x12
    By PeterXu in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 10:58 PM
  4. SPAM: Stan's HUGO Rims ... laced up but never ridden
    By appleSSeed in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2014, 01:38 PM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.