How Much snow is TOO Much?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How Much snow is TOO Much?

I was planning a ride in Big Bear Ca on Monday. They have had 2 feet of snow in the last couple days with more on the way. Planning on riding up fire roads and down single track. Is this doable? Im running 4.0s on 100mm rims....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

since 4/10/2009
    I personally don't have any experience with riding in fresh snow that deep (about 7" is the deepest freshies I've ridden through). That said, I suspect 4.0's will be too narrow for the conditions.

mtbr member
    Lowering the air pressure will help, but sometimes fresh unpacked snow can be too much for even the widest rims and largest tires...

If it dumped 2 feet of snow, and it's not been packed, I suspect you'll be miserable :-(

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    I was planning a ride in Big Bear Ca on Monday. They have had 2 feet of snow in the last couple days with more on the way. Planning on riding up fire roads and down single track. Is this doable? Im running 4.0s on 100mm rims....
    Depends somewhat on the snow quality (light and fluffy? heavy/dense?), as well as whether or not you can expect that other people have already been traveling on it.

But hell, sometimes you don't know if you don't go....
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    As discussed many times before here, it all depends on the type of snow. But I can tell you that it WILL be very difficult if you are the one breaking trail. If others have broken trail and the snow has setup a little, you might be in luck. Even if others have broken trail be ready for a challenge if you need to put a foot down.

mtbr member
    If you live in Southern California never pass up an opportunity to ride on snow. If you are miserable it will be a learning experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you have skis, you may want to take them along. I take both, if it's too miserable for the fatty on goes the skis.

mtbr member
    I don't have skis and I do live on So-Cal. Ive only ridden in snow once before and it was one of the greatest rides I've ever had. We are riding the same trails this time, but on a different bike.

Worst case, we get up there and have a crappy ride or stick to packed trails. Still better than not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    those are the conditions I take my snowboard out in. not my bike. enjoy that powder with the right equipment. wait for it to get packed down in a few days by by the snowshoes and skis. then hit the singletrack.

sluice box
    It will get packed down fast with other users. You are at a resort in So-Cali not the Takotna River.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    It will get packed down fast with other users. You are at a resort in So-Cali not the Takotna River.
    ^^ Not to mention, there isn't really a question about what kind of snow it will be. It'll be wet and heavy and dense! Bring your most waterproof boots, wool or polypro layers, extra changes of dry clothing... and have fun!
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

Workin for the weekend!
    Going uphill in that much (unpacked) snow would be a challenge. Coming down might be fun tho...
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You need skis

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've ridden through more than 8" on some mostly-downhill trails where I was able to ride up packed or wind-packed trails to an unpacked downhill, but that's the absolute max I've been able to do and the "usual" max can be around 5-6", a few times around 8", depending on how heavy the snow is. As an example, around 4-6" that fell a month ago packed down to around 1/2" or less in a day, due to how dry and light the snow was, so that can radically affect how easy it is.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    nice and soft for crashing ;-)

mtbr member
    Not a lot on here know where the Takotna is without Google :-)

mtbr member
    I'm with CoOp, I think you'll have at least snowshoe trails . I reccomend some amber sunglasses to help see the trail if it has been covered with several inch of fresh snow. If it's bright sunny or flat light overcast. Maybe that is more for northern lats where the sun stays low on the horizon tho. . Don't wear any cotton as it will soak then freeze solid. Good place for Gor Tex type shells and layers . Dobu have a frame bag u can stuff a layer in when you warm up ? , nothing ventured, nothing gained . Go for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I bought a cheap pair of snowshoes from Menards for $40. Anything over 4-5 inches is too much for me to bike. I carry the snowshoes in a backpack and track about 1/2 mile turn around and track back to my bike. Now I have a great trail to bike on. Next few trips pack it more and more until 5 more inches of fluffy. Rinse and repeat.