Nov 2008

How I spent my summer.

Testing:
    WP_20140827_006 by bdroit, on Flickr
    <br>
    WP_20140827_008 by bdroit, on Flickr
    <br>
    WP_20140827_001 by bdroit, on Flickr
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    ...And what conclusions did you arrive at?

Also wondering about that lefty in the last photo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    4.6 works great on the front but is not ideal on the rear. We have allot of quick up and down transitions with some steep hills, I like a smaller tire on the rear.

The Lefty is a XLR 130 Hybrid set at 120mm right now.

I am finding on less technical trails the Di2 is more of a performance improvement than the Lefty. My two bikes weigh within a couple of ounces of each other the way they are setup now.

The Bontrager tires are really impressive, I am hopeful they will make a larger model. On the Di2 bike I have been running the Hodag on the back and the Ground Control on the front, that combination works really well. I have the Hodag on the front of the Lefty bike with a Hill Billie on the back, cornering with the front compares well with the GC but the Hill Billie falls short on climbing compared to the Hodag.

Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    ...And what conclusions did you arrive at?

Also wondering about that lefty in the last photo.

aka bOb
    Somebody has been having fun!! So you didn't care for the GC rear, just to tall? I do notice on quick ups it takes some extra torque. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts Steven.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    4.6 works great on the front but is not ideal on the rear. We have allot of quick up and down transitions with some steep hills, I like a smaller tire on the rear.
    Interesting! If you look at any off-road moto application the rear is always smaller (dia.) than the front. I'm sure there are very good reasons for that.

The Di2 is very cool! Shimano showed a future mtb version at interbike with syncro shifting which seems like the hot ticket. Pretty pricey though!

It looks like you used the OEM clamps on your Lefty with no issues rather than longer after market clamps?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, on normal MTB"S I have generally preferred smaller rear tires but previous to this I have enjoyed having both tires the same size on the Fat.

The Di2 is very nice, I have the Ultegra so much more affordable. Not as cool as the syncro shift but impressive still.

I had this bike built to take a Lefty, it is the Long/high clamp version, the frame has a 150mm headtube. Hidden from view is a custom piece that make it work with a standard frame.

Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    Interesting! If you look at any off-road moto application the rear is always smaller (dia.) than the front. I'm sure there are very good reasons for that.

The Di2 is very cool! Shimano showed a future mtb version at interbike with syncro shifting which seems like the hot ticket. Pretty pricey though!

It looks like you used the OEM clamps on your Lefty with no issues rather than longer after market clamps?
    I like the GC on the rear but there was a trade off, it may be just that, it's taller so it is affecting the gear ratio. Some of the really steep hills that small gear change may be the difference between making it or not. I like a triple but with the Di2 I am stuck with a double. Might be time to do some math.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Somebody has been having fun!! So you didn't care for the GC rear, just to tall? I do notice on quick ups it takes some extra torque. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts Steven.