How are the Bontrager Barbegazi 4.7 tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

How are the Bontrager Barbegazi 4.7 tires?

I'm thinking about buying a Farley 5 and it comes with 120 TPI (not sure if there are any other type) Bontrager Barbengazi tires. I haven't had a lot of luck finding any reviews on them. The Trek store offered to "upgrade" the tires to 3.8" studded Gnarwhals for an additional $340 with a free tubeless setup if I wanted.

I am planning on commuting 5 days a week (12 miles total) in Anchorage, Alaska after the 1st. I'm not sure if the standard tires will be fine for winter or if I should upgrade to studded now while the price is good. For a little less money (not counting the tubeless offer and install) I could run Dillinger 4s but I'm not sure if they are better to be honest. Also, I am planned on running 4" tires this summer and using this bike as a single track/screw around bike so the 4.7s wouldn't work for that. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Rippin da fAt
    I had the opportunity to try em out a few weeks ago. Gotta say, they are not as supple as the Bud/Lou on my bike. Self steer at low pressure was mild. They seem to be a very nice tire regardless. As for weight, don't really know, as they were on a demo bike with known tubes.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I can't really speak to commuting way up Anchorage (though I wish I could) but I don't think the dealer is giving you a great price on the gnarwalls.

You can get those for 200 a piece and I have generally paid 20 per wheel to make a tire tubeless. Assuming a total cost of 440 your dealer is buying your tires back at 50 a piece. That's well below reasonable in my opinion with msrp at 119

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Cool thanks for the insight guys. I'm gonna hold off until after Christmas/New Years to see if I can snag a good deal on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    For $20 more you could buy the Studded Gnarwahls for $360 at my LBS and have a second set of tires....
    Bontrager Gnarwhal Tire - Freewheel Bike Shop - Minneapolis - Twin Cities - St. Paul
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

The Dog.
    As others have said, seems like bad deal.

The reason why they seem less supple is because they are less supple. I just had opportunity to compare all of the new bontrager tires to surly's and 45nrth's. The 60tpi bontragers are stiffer in hand than even a 27tpi surly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Cool thanks for the suggestions everyone. I rode for about 15 min on my brothers D5s yesterday and they were just so grippy on the hard pack and ice that I think I'm gonna go with them or the D4s. I'll probably just keep the other tires if I go that route. Thanks for thoughtful responses!

Your Best Friend
    Just picked up a pair of these today. One was 1339gs and the other 1356gs. I measured the casing width mounted tubeless on 85mm carbon rims and they came in at 4.36 inches. They may stretch after being tubeless for awhile. My bike lost 1lb 13oz over a Bud/Lou combo. Crazy. Now just to get them into the snow.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Just picked up a pair of these today. One was 1339gs and the other 1356gs. I measured the casing width mounted tubeless on 85mm carbon rims and they came in at 4.36 inches. They may stretch after being tubeless for awhile. My bike lost 1lb 13oz over a Bud/Lou combo. Crazy. Now just to get them into the snow.
    They don't self steer too badly when you air em down. And they have a nice looking tread pattern for a good ride. Very nicely made tires, indeed!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've very happy with them - no self steer down to 4 PSI, hook up everywhere, great in the rolling resistance department. The only place I have my doubts is in serious muck or certain snow conditions. For where I live and ride though (Pacific Northwest) I couldn't ask for a better tire. No complaints.

If I lived in Alaska I might choose double Buds for a good traction, decent rolling resistance setup.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    They roll well on pavement, better than Snowshoe XL's. I replaced those on my ex's fat and she's been commuting this past week on it to work. She gets to sleep in an extra 35 mins in the morning and still beats the bus she'd otherwise have taken to where she'd get off the damn thing. Drivers keep staring at her at traffic lights. For a region with more than a thousand fat bikes now, they're still a rare sight for commuting. Hopefully this weekend we'll get out into the trail networks as so far her only snow on the commute has been the stuff still left along sidewalks, the hard layer on residential streets, and a park she cuts across following a path stomped in by walkers.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    I've been pleased with their grip on groomed snow. Good cornering traction and confidence. A nice tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My hour long demo ride of the Farley 5 had me liking the Bargegazi tires a lot. Some loose stuff, roots and rocks typical of Northern Ontario single track. Can't speak for beautiful Alaska but they seem to hold their own in a few inches of snow here as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Happy with mine so far as a front tire. Have ridden HuDu, Bud, Snowshoe, and Bulldozer on front. Barbegazi isn't as positive steering as Bud, but it's also considerably lighter. Mine weighed 1360g. Mounted tubeless on Marge Lites - casing measured out just over 104mm, knob width 109.5mm.

Ran it at under 2.5psi the other night and you could feel it grabbing a bit but not in a bad way. Very satisfied with the bang for the buck.

Your Best Friend
    Rode them today for the first time. I'm initially pretty happy. A few nit picks but I'll withhold judgement for a few more rides.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    I've very happy with them - no self steer down to 4 PSI, hook up everywhere, great in the rolling resistance department. The only place I have my doubts is in serious muck or certain snow conditions. For where I live and ride though (Pacific Northwest) I couldn't ask for a better tire. No complaints.

If I lived in Alaska I might choose double Buds for a good traction, decent rolling resistance setup.
    If you lived in Alaska chances are very good you'd be on Dillingers.
    Latitude 61

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    If you lived in south-central Alaska chances are very good you'd be on Dillingers.
    Fixed, from the perspective of someone that visits often but doesn't live there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah? I wouldn't know really. That was just based on feedback I've heard from residents up that way Some riding Lou/Lou even. Dillingers have a medium tread pattern that I could easily ride all summer around here too. Good looking tire to boot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Really - if you are commuting in Anchorage on a fat bike, studded tires (D4 or D5) seem ideal. I don't live there, but there sure seems to be a lot of ice whenever I am in that neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Fixed, from the perspective of someone that visits often but doesn't live there.
    True enough but if you live in Alaska chances are you live in south-central.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I rode them last niteride and I was very impressive at high pressure for Tubeless conversion. Very fast, respectably light et grippy. Honestly.. better than my last summer on Knard 3.8.. ok leave my a couple of ride to give a real ascertainment.

Livraison d'été! by Mathieu St-Jean, sur Flickr

turtles make me hot
    I just seated a pair or Barbegazis on a pair of Rolling Darryls split tubeless for my brother. They seated up perfectly and feel very nice. Also clear the 2012 Fatback 170mm frame perfectly. Waiting for the brakes and seatpost to get here so I can try em.
    I like turtles

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    How's the overall durability of the Barbegazi?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have 550 miles on a set. This was mixed terrain through the fall and winter. They are still in great shape with very little tread wear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal8 View Post
    I have 550 miles on a set. This was mixed terrain through the fall and winter. They are still in great shape with very little tread wear.
    Same here (577 miles to be precise ) with a lot of road / hard surfaces, and the tread looks pretty much as new.

mtbr member

What's the deal with Dillingers? I can't figure out why they cost so much.

mtbr member
    I've got about 1,500 miles on mine. More than half of that on asphalt. I haven't measured the tread depth but visually they look like they have very little wear.

I did put a stick a bit bigger than a pencil through the center of the tire.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    True enough but if you live in Alaska chances are you live in south-central.

From a population stand point maybe. I made it into town last week. First time in 8 months. I'll take Fairbanks any day if I have to go to a city :-)
    I prefer the traction of the XL Snowshoe studded over the D5 . But, the Dilly s seem to be very good all around tires . Just way over priced.

Rippin da fAt
    I like my D5's for dirt but the rear does Gas Monkey burnouts too easily for the mountains on snow. They are fairly durable and not as supple as Bud/Lou. Gotta say, they feel like huge mountain bike tires in the dirt.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sounds like the Barbegazi 4.7 s are the same real world width as the silica compound studded snowshoe XL . And just a little wider than the D5.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    So it appears they are holding up good. May have to swing by the shop and grab a set.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

turtles make me hot
    When I finished building my brother's fat bike last week, I aired up the Barbegazis to 9 psi and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. I only rode the bike on pavement for ten minutes but I think they roll exceptionally well.
    I'll try it on dirt soon. His is the first bike I've done with a 1x11 drivetrain and I'm curious to see the range.
    I like turtles