Hope Fatsno QR to 15mm thru axle conversion for Bluto fork fitment issue.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Hope Fatsno QR to 15mm thru axle conversion for Bluto fork fitment issue.

I am attempting to install 135mm to 150mm end-cap adapters purchased from Hauck Bicycles on my Hope Evo2 Fatsno front hub to use with the RockShox Bluto fork on my Mukluk.

Hope Bluto Spacers. Brake Adapter Included. ? Hauck Bicycles

The hub was previously set up with QR adapters which slid over OD of the center tube (item 4 in the exploded view below):

http://cdn.hopetechnology.netdna-cdn...-Front-Hub.pdf

Clearly these spacers were designed to work with the center tube removed (is it just press fit into the bearings, I have had no luck getting it to budge with a rubber mallet) but is there not an issue with removing the center tube entirely - will the bearings not have issues now that they are subjected to the side load from the clamping force of the thru-axle which was previously applied to the center tube?

Should there not be a spacer between the two end caps, or the end caps themselves should be longer to meet in the middle of the hub and take up the clamping load?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Never mind just clicked the link. Hit it harder.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Never mind just clicked the link. Hit it harder.
    The 'hit it harder' approach worked for getting the center tube out (why didn't I think of that ), however that does not answer the question of whether running these spacers will lead to a premature failure of the bearings.

The clamping load that is now applied directly to the bearing race, whereas, previously, this clamping load was applied to the center tube, not the bearing, and the bearing only had to deal with the side loads applied during riding, but not constant loading..

aka bOb
    I'm guessing your hub is the older version, I heard of some people making new tubes to stop pre-mature bearing failure. Disclaimer this is just a guess about the old style from reading things

The new version Hopes the tube stays in for the when you change end caps. This I do know.

mtbr member
    I am also running into another issue: the spacers are actually undersize where they fit into the bearing, resulting in a loose fit (whereas the original center tube was press fit into the hub bearings). This leads to noticeable play in the hub once it is installed on the fork.

Hope hub center-tube OD @ bearing mating surface: Hope Fatsno QR to 15mm thru axle conversion for Bluto fork fitment issue.-hope-fatsno-center-tube.jpg

Hauck adapter OD @ bearing mating surface:
    Hope Fatsno QR to 15mm thru axle conversion for Bluto fork fitment issue.-hauck-adapter.jpg

I am attempting to resolve this issue with Hauck directly, but if they can not get me a set of spacers that fit, I will be making my own that fit all the way through the hub and distribute the load the same way the center tube did in the original design.

aka bOb
    Keep us posted on what they say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I'm guessing your hub is the older version, I heard of some people making new tubes to stop pre-mature bearing failure. Disclaimer this is just a guess about the old style from reading things

The new version Hopes the tube stays in for the when you change end caps. This I do know.
    How do you determine whether it is a "new" or "old" style Hope hub?

Mine looks just like the one in the exploded view, and the spacers I purchased fit (well not quite, but I believe that is due to a manufacturing error), but the center tube definitely has to come out to use with a 15mm thru-axle, since the ID of the center tube is only ~ 12mm.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    How do you determine whether it is a "new" or "old" style Hope hub?

Mine looks just like the one in the exploded view, and the spacers I purchased fit (well not quite, but I believe that is due to a manufacturing error), but the center tube definitely has to come out to use with a 15mm thru-axle, since the ID of the center tube is only ~ 12mm.
    Mine are the newest version and the tube stays in for the Dundee (pre Hauck) 15mm adapters. Not sure how to tell the difference by looking at them. Mine was also a 15mm hub to begin with so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I just ordered a set of Hope hubs and thinking of doing the same thing.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Do either of you guys know the ID of the hub bearings on the "new" hubs?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    Do either of you guys know the ID of the hub bearings on the "new" hubs?
    Sorry dood but I have no way here to measure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I bought the Hauck caps for my Hope Fatsno hub too. My local shop machined a center sleeve to prevent side loading the bearings. I also found that the brake adaptor didn't move the caliper in bound enough so I put small washers from chainlinks between the rotor and hub to move the rotor out about 1mm. Everything is perfect now, but my shop just sent me an email that they made a spacer to fit between the rotor and hub so I can use a standard, non offset brake adaptor instead of the one Hauck provided.

mtbr member
    If you have to remove the center tube to run the Hauk adapters then you have the older version Hope hub. If you decide to run it this way your bearings will die within a 100 miles. I found out the hard way and have since moved on to the a Hope hub made for the 150 setup.

Classic weekend warrior
    The "new" front hubs have "FDS" or "RDS" etched into them under "Fatsno" to specify disk spacing.

-Carver Ti O'Beast
    -Niner RLT 9
    -'16 Trek Farley 7 (hers)

Rocking on a Rocky
    I just ordered a set fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sounds like you for sure have the old style of front hub.. The axle of the old hub won't fit a 15mm thru axle which is how you identify if it's old or new style as the new style will fit the 15mm TA... Get a new hub.

mtbr member
    Yep, figured out that I definitely have the old style Hope Fatsno hub that was never designed to work with the 15mm thru-axle, not to worry though, we have the technology!

Hauck 135mm --> 150mm adapters (black) vs. new adapters (unfinished)

White Bros brake caliper offset bracket vs. new brake rotor spacer

Just need to get some longer 5mm bolts for the brake rotor and it'll be ready for the trails!

Made a star nut install too for good measure as well

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Very cool. That is essentially what I ended up with, except the center sleeve my shop made just replaced the old Hope stock sleeve, then the Hauck caps mounted up fine. I need to find long torx rotor bolts so I can run my rotor spacer now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hope Fatsno QR to 15mm thru axle conversion for Bluto fork fitment issue.-catlander-fatsno-sleeve.jpgThis is the sleeve my shop made for me. My Fatsno is the old model as it doesn't say FDS on it. The Hauck caps nest properly into the ends of this and there is no side load on the bearings. They also machined a rotor spacer from a old alloy hub shell.

mtbr member
    How's the Hauck adapter working for folks? Steve Hauck tells me they're making an adapter for the Borealis hub that will be out soon (by x-mas)- are people having success with these? Any drawbacks?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

All fat, all the time.
    Interesting, nice machine work to get all that working together. I have to wonder though, at some point it would be cheaper to lace in a new hub....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    How's the Hauck adapter working for folks? Steve Hauck tells me they're making an adapter for the Borealis hub that will be out soon (by x-mas)- are people having success with these? Any drawbacks?
    The Hauck Adapters have been working great for me, I originally got the the adapters for the Hope hubs for my 29+ wheelset.

I have been testing the prototypes for my Borealis hubs and they have been working great!

mtbr member
    I had a bearing fail in my fatsno after around 50 miles. Other than that, I've had no issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Interesting, nice machine work to get all that working together. I have to wonder though, at some point it would be cheaper to lace in a new hub....
    Depends, I had the old Hope hub laced up already. The Hauck caps were $60. My shop made the center sleeve for a 6 pack of IPA. So cheap for me and I didn't need to rebuild my wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    The Hauck Adapters have been working great for me

I have been testing the prototypes for my Borealis hubs and they have been working great!

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catlander fatsno sleeve.jpg 
Views:	970 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	936517This is the sleeve my shop made for me. My Fatsno is the old model as it doesn't say FDS on it. The Hauck caps nest properly into the ends of this and there is no side load on the bearings. They also machined a rotor spacer from a old alloy hub shell.
    SRALPH, is that axle split like Dsrt Taco's above or is there another way your shop got around putting the bearings on its center sleeve?

I have an older Hope Fatsno RDS(rear disc spaced) front hub and I am considering a Carver Trans Fat 135x15 or the new RST Renegade Fat Bike fork 150x15.

I have the 2012 Mukluk so I am restricted to 1 1/8th steerer only.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    SRALPH, is that axle split like Dsrt Taco's above or is there another way your shop got around putting the bearings on its center sleeve?

I have an older Hope Fatsno RDS(rear disc spaced) front hub and I am considering a Carver Trans Fat 135x15 or the new RST Renegade Fat Bike fork 150x15.

I have the 2012 Mukluk so I am restricted to 1 1/8th steerer only.
    The sleeve isn't split. They pulled the bearing out of one side and then presses it back together. still working great and no bearing issues

mtbr member
    where can i get a set hauk website seems to be offline.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordie View Post
    where can i get a set hauk website seems to be offline.
    QBP has this kit: HU2123

Hope Fatsno 15x150mm Front Conversion Kit
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    awesome thanks tons!

mtbr member
    qns will the HU2123 with the older hope fatsno?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

fatsno 15x150 to 135mm QR conversion

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Mine are the newest version and the tube stays in for the Dundee (pre Hauck) 15mm adapters. Not sure how to tell the difference by looking at them. Mine was also a 15mm hub to begin with so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    I just got the 15x150 fatsno hub and was wondering if there is a conversion kit to go back to the 135mm QR that my OEM fork is.
    If so, should I lace the hub differently if I'm thinking of doing this.
    It appears that if I lace this up with the spacers for the 150mm then any spacers I use for the 135 setup, will make the disc be in front of the caliper location and thus I would need an anti shim(im screwed)...
    Anyone done this, or have any helpful advice? I was planning to lace up the hubs this week until i realized i should consider the QR set up too.
    Thanks for your help.
    D-

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I believe you need a 135mm Fatsno which can then be converted to 150mm. I don't think you can go from 150->135.
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
    The "new" front hubs have "FDS" or "RDS" etched into them under "Fatsno" to specify disk spacing.

My hubs don't say anything under the fatsno. What does that mean? Can I still convert them to 150?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think no, but you can try

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    My hub has no markings (FDS or RDS) BUT... the inner tube has an ID of about 15.5mm. Anyone think I can get away with just HU2123? Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    just try it