Hookworms vs Floyds? Anyone here run both?- Mtbr.com
    -bustin punks

Hookworms vs Floyds? Anyone here run both?

Looking to grab a set of pavement tires for my Mukluk - has anyone run both of these back to back on the same bike? Obviously the Hookworms are a "lower" volume tire in comparison - but in terms of "fun" factor, urban riding, etc do they give up a lot to the Black Floyds?

Thanks y'all....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i like the hookworms on mine -I thnik the advantage is that they cost so much less

but will lower the bike as smaller profile

used mine on Large marge rims
    Last edited by cozz; 03-16-2012 at 01:10 PM.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I'm curious as well...

Can the people that have experienced both please also tell on wath rims they were used ?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I have both, but haven't tried on the same bike. I'll do that.

From what I remember the Hookworms are slightly less forgiving, but still very comfortable for a slick tire.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    On what size rims did you use them ?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Large Marges, both. I haven't ridden the Hookworms on the new bike.

Thinking on it a bit, I can echo that the Hookworms make the bike sit lower, which is obvious enough. Didn't seem like a bad thing, makes you reach your tallest gear slightly easier.

One impression the Floyds leave: they roll very well, and you'll get more "those tires are huge!" exclamations than normal because of being in a more populated place than a MTB trail or what have you. (I do like riding it in a nearby neighborhood that is almost void of bike traffic, I try to do cycling advocacy by being a nice guy when riding.)
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    What about the 26"x3" Kenda Flame tires?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think the only advantage of the Hookworms is the price. The Floyds are lighter and have the volume of a real fat bike tire.

I have a pair of Hookworms that I occasionally run on Large Marges. I actually prefer the Endo over the Hookworm on paved/dirt roads. If I'm gonna run fat rims I want a tire with sufficient volume. If I did more road or gravel riding on that bike, I'd be buying a pair of Floyds to replace the Hookworms.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    on my pugsley with large marge rims, I have tried both. Floyds are faster and more comfortable. The hookworms are indestructible. I would chose big apple 2.35s before I chose the hookworms, they are more flat resistant than floyds and are faster than the hookworms.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    From what I've seen the 2.35 Big Apples aren't quite big enough to work well on Large Marges. The Apples flatten out so much it doesn't look like there's enough volume to run comfortable air pressures.

For the same reason I don't think I'd run Hookworms on Rolling Darryls (or anything bigger), especially when there is a real fat tire option out there.

mtbr member
    Endos are a pretty good paved/hardpacked tire. With all the folks wanting to upgrade to Nates/H Dus you might be able to score some cheap Endos?

I've done 75kms of paved riding in one go on Endos and didn't mind how they rolled.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Have you tried the BF's and compared tem to Endo's ?
    I did, and believe me when i say that they make a HUGE difference when riding on paved roads.

-bustin punks
    I've seen the 120 tpi Floyds at 1050-1100 grams.

Anyone have the 27tpi versions on their scale yet?

mtbr member

my Flames on 80mm rims... and believe me it rolled pretty fast and easy... on asphalt more than enough traction... and weight much less tha the hookworms plus i never damaged one even on rough and sharp edges... a thing i can't say for the hookworms i tried...

PLUS!!! they are really cheap...

...more aerodynamic handlebar...i even did a alley cat with it... you can roll pretty fast on them!!! even fixie guys get impressed...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibor View Post

my Flames on 80mm rims... and believe me it rolled pretty fast and easy... on asphalt more than enough traction... and weight much less tha the hookworms plus i never damaged one even on rough and sharp edges... a thing i can't say for the hookworms i tried...

PLUS!!! they are really cheap...

...more aerodynamic handlebar...i even did a alley cat with it... you can roll pretty fast on them!!! even fixie guys get impressed...
    Where did you get that frame...
    I'm really digging it...

Members who have read this thread: 0