high end fat bike purchase help.- Mtbr.com
    rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

high end fat bike purchase help.

I want to upgrade from my mukluk to something much lighter with a bluto fork.

i have been looking at the echo, don't like what i hear about the rims though.

I was also thinking a beargrease carbon might be good, but would then need to get a bluto put on it.

where i live we do get snow, but not usually a lot and then it doesn't stick around long most of the time, so not sure if i should even worry about not being able to run the bigger tires.

I have a mukluk now, so have been limited on size with it too, i did put a bud on the front this last winter and was impressed, so makes me wonder how good it would be to have a big one on the back too.

other issue i have concerning rims, is that i have had 2 flats so far on the muk running split tubes, i get such big thorns around here that they go clear through the tire and out the rim cut outs! i am thinking a carbon tubless setup is the way to go for me, what are my options?

summary:

1- carbon wheel options that will support a 215lb rider?
    2- carbon frame options that support the bluto?
    3- could i just buy an echo frame/fork and build it myself? or would it be too expensive? i have never done this but always heard it's cheaper to buy bikes already built.
    4- would the echo or beargrease be sturdy enough for a 215lb + rider?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Twin 6 Ti?
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

ebnash
    1- All the carbon fat rim offerings will support your weight, as long as the wheel build is sound. I don't know of any carbon wheelsets that exist other that HED, but technically those are custom built.

2 - The Borealis Echo and Pivot Les Fat Frames are built around the Bluto geometry. Not sure about the Beargrease.

3 - Buying a complete is always cheaper, but you are not able to select every component. If you are particular about components, it is wiser to do full custom build, but pricey. I would guess that a carbon frame/Bluto/Carbon Wheel highend custom build would in the neighborhood of 8K-9K. Your one option for a complete that meets your listed requirements is the Borealis Echo XX1 with HED wheel option. Since Borealis no longer has the Carbondale Wheels, they will will supply HED Big Deals for the 2K upcost making that bike around 8K.

4 - Any current Fatbike carbon offering will hold up to a 215lb. rider. I am riding a Pivot Les Fat and I am around 250lbs. and riding technical dirt terrain agressively.

Honestly, if you're happy with the Muk, I'd just build a carbon wheelset. Nextie's are rated to 200kg, so I think you're good there.

banned
    Mar 2015
    215 nekkid? Don't go plastic. At your weight get something reasonably light that is strong and provides a nice ride like a good steel frame. Ti is kinda flexy and many ti frames ride kinda meh compared to a nice snappy steel frame. Plus ti frames crack/fail quite often compared to other frame materials. I'm 165 and cracked my ti IF. Lynsky's die all the time. 2 guys i know who weigh the same as me have cracked more than one lynsky each.

Upgrading your wheels is sound advice if you like yer current bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Honestly, if you're happy with the Muk, I'd just build a carbon wheelset. Nextie's are rated to 200kg, so I think you're good there.
    Best advice IMO.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Agreed
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    just an fyi, simple1 hates all materials except steel. I would ignore anything he has to say about carbon, but his experience w/ Ti sounds legit.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by simple1 View Post
    Plus ti frames crack/fail quite often compared to other frame materials. I'm 165 and cracked my ti IF. Lynsky's die all the time. 2 guys i know who weigh the same as me have cracked more than one lynsky each.
    The IF surprises me, but there Lynskey? I'd be more surprised to hear about one that hasn't broken. Has to do with using crappy offshore inferior quality ti tubing, and I've little doubt their process which is designed around speed and volume production, doesn't help either.

Pick a good builder, and I doubt you'll see many failures. I have a few ti frames, (old school, not ABG built) Merlins, a Titus, and they've served me well for many many years of hard use.

Moral of the story, if you want ti, don't be a cheapskate.

And I'd double, triple, whatever, down and say yes, upgrade the wheels if you want to lighten the ride. Not like you're 120 lbs soaking wet, a 1/2 lb lighter frame will mean jack squat other than a lighter wallet....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

aka bOb
    Hmmmm, if I remember right Rog broke an IF ti and had a couple of friends break Lynsky's and also likes white. Rog also hates everything but steel and says ti is flexy. Is S1 Rog?

Fat & Single
    I'm 165 and cracked my ti IF. Lynsky's die all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    The IF surprises me, but there Lynskey?
    Im 205lb, ride a steel IF, ride a Ti Carver fatty and a plastic Chi fatty, the more I read simple's posts, the more I reckon its a sock-puppet for someone trying to steal Mr Copperfield for #1 red medal count. Please investigate his IP addy... you don't own a Independent Fabrications, Lynskey and all that shit, then only discover MTBR this month, then be a pain in the ass...
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

Fat & Single
    3rd red chicklet given simple1.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    yes, i do love the way the muk rides and handles. i just don't know about spending almost as much on wheels as i did the whole bike? if i put a bluto on it and carbon wheels, wouldn't it about cancel each other out and still weigh the same?

I spoke with borealis about the hed wheels, they said they wouldn't support my weight. He said they're made for under 200lbs and riding groomed snow trails only.

I would like to get the bike under 30lbs. my muk weighs 38.8lbs with frame bag full of tools, inner tube, saw, etc

aka bOb
    Rotational weight and weight that well doesn't rotate are two completely different things.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    hmm, i was just looking at frame weights between mukluk, echo, and carbon beargrease.
    muk - 4.63
    bg - 3.61
    echo - 3
    that really isn't that big a differance. Where do people get these builds from that are less then 30lbs? some even claim to be less then 25lbs.

I do agree about rotational weight savings helpling a lot. My muk rims weren't drilled when i got it, i drilled them out and it was very noticeable.

I am starting to wish i would have taken the bluto upgrade on my fork recall now - i had always had it in my head to get a higher end bike rather then dump a bunch in the current one though.

banned
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    just an fyi, simple1 hates all materials except steel. I would ignore anything he has to say about carbon, but his experience w/ Ti sounds legit.
    I've owned carbon (scott and trek) and cracked one when i tipped over in a very techy rocky area. seat stay pretty much shattered. Alu woulda dented, Ti woulda come out unscathed unless i smacked a weld, and steel woulda scratched, nothing a bit of nail polish wouldn't cover up.

banned
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Im 205lb, ride a steel IF, ride a Ti Carver fatty and a plastic Chi fatty, the more I read simple's posts, the more I reckon its a sock-puppet for someone trying to steal Mr Copperfield for #1 red medal count. Please investigate his IP addy... you don't own a Independent Fabrications, Lynskey and all that shit, then only discover MTBR this month, then be a pain in the ass...
    oooooh this innanet is serious bidness for ya ozzy! find the culprit! find the imposter! lol

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    hmm, i was just looking at frame weights between mukluk, echo, and carbon beargrease.
    muk - 4.63
    bg - 3.61
    echo - 3
    that really isn't that big a differance. Where do people get these builds from that are less then 30lbs? some even claim to be less then 25lbs.
    Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner. So many people see the weights of these carbon complete bikes and get the gotta have googly eyes. Your right the frame helps some but in the end it's the crap ton of money in parts they stick on the carbon frames that makes just as big of difference as the frame. Not many can see this, it's impossible to replace a 5 pound frame with a 3 pound frame and the bike automatically weighs in at 6-7 pounds lighter

Fat & Single
    Don't clog up good threads with your crap, hardly serious as I don't come here so much any more, just had a slack night and a few beers and find your nonsense on every thread.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner. So many people see the weights of these carbon complete bikes and get the gotta have googly eyes. Your right the frame helps some but in the end it's the crap ton of money in parts they stick on the carbon frames that makes just as big of difference as the frame. Not many can see this, it's impossible to replace a 5 pound frame with a 3 pound frame and the bike automatically weighs in at 6-7 pounds lighter
    so what rims should i consider?

Fat & Single
    ^^^ spot on Bob, carbon forks, carbon cranks, carbon wheels (tubeless), carbon bars, post, seat, 1 x something and down to the little things like brakes, grips, rotors and all that stuff.

IMO the wheels and tyre choice make the biggest difference.

A 36lb bike will only be 2lb heavier than a carbon bike given all the above.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i would probably need new hubs too, which ones? i am thinking it be a good time to upgrade the cassette to an 11sp too and go 1x for some more savings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This would be an interesting link to check out...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/wor...uk-943531.html

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i already have carbon bars on the bike, i do run a thudbuster though which is pretty heavy, but needed, hurts my back to much to ride without it.

Fat & Single
    You can buy a set of Nexties, decent spokes and Hope Fatsno hubs for less than $1000.

aka bOb
    so what rims should i consider?
    It really depends what and how you ride, do you need/want wide rims or a in the middle 65mm width? Even though you are a little bigger feller I would prolly look at the 65's being you don't get much snow and you want a lighter bike but just my 2 cents. Also as ozz has stated take a peep at the Neties, they have their little flaws but overall a good rim for the cash.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdog800 View Post
    This would be an interesting link to check out...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/wor...uk-943531.html
    nice read, the guy ended up with a new bike in the end though! sounds like he lives where there is more snow then i have. a lot of the advice given was also talking about not having through axles. What is the difference and should i be concerned with that too?

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It really depends what and how you ride, do you need/want wide rims or a in the middle 65mm width? Even though you are a little bigger feller I would prolly look at the 65's being you don't get much snow and you want a lighter bike but just my 2 cents. Also as ozz has stated take a peep at the Neties, they have their little flaws but overall a good rim for the cash.
    we do get snow, but not tons of it. most of the time it's 2-3 inches, we may get a 5-6 inch snow a couple times a year too. Most of the riding i do is off the beaten path. I ride fairly hard and love tech stuff. we don't have many rocks around here but lots of logs. i know my current rear rim has a dent in it which is assume is from hitting logs at speed with probably too low of psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I run whiskey 9s are am assured they are bulletproof

I do plan on running my yampa with HED all summer though not in the Rocky rooty in part because i can't run a bluto on a medium, though I might think of a lefty at some point but it means rebuilding wheels

I brought the mutz from 38 to 32 pounds and its a different bike with lighter wheels. Carbon and steel and totally different feels, and I am starting to learn how much

Nothing like a good test ride! Though I personally like to jump in first, then adjust and tinker

Lamere makes some really nice light weight lefty fatties
    Might be next if my yampa is sold

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    I run whiskey 9s are am assured they are bulletproof

I do plan on running my yampa with HED all summer though not in the Rocky rooty in part because i can't run a bluto on a medium, though I might think of a lefty at some point but it means rebuilding wheels

I brought the mutz from 38 to 32 pounds and its a different bike with lighter wheels. Carbon and steel and totally different feels, and I am starting to learn how much

Nothing like a good test ride! Though I personally like to jump in first, then adjust and tinker

Lamere makes some really nice light weight lefty fatties
    Might be next if my yampa is sold
    borealis told me i would break an hed rim in 2 weeks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    That unfortunate on the HED

The Whiskey 9s are much stronger, and i have no concern running them hard in the rock gardens near me

Definitely check out the Foes Mutz, is an absolute blast to ride. If you live in the boston area I'm more than happy to let you try mine out, and then you can call Dan up at likin bikin and have him built you one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    3rd red chicklet given simple1.
    4th

I want to upgrade from my mukluk to something much lighter with a bluto fork.
    yes, i do love the way the muk rides and handles. i just don't know about spending almost as much on wheels as i did the whole bike?

I would like to get the bike under 30lbs. my muk weighs 38.8lbs with frame bag full of tools, inner tube, saw, etc
    I had always had it in my head to get a higher end bike rather then dump a bunch in the current one though.
    I am thinking it be a good time to upgrade the cassette to an 11sp too and go 1x for some more savings.
    nice read, the guy ended up with a new bike in the end though! sounds like he lives where there is more snow then i have. a lot of the advice given was also talking about not having through axles. What is the difference and should i be concerned with that too?
    OK, here's my $0.02.

Buy a new bike. You are way to far away from what you want with your current ride (which sounds like a sweet ride).

You're looking to drop serious weight, be able to run fatter tires, a Bluto, 11 speed and thru axles.

There's no point doing all that to your current bike (even if you could).

I suggest you take the $1500 you have saved, sell your bike, and start new.

Buy a complete with as close to the specs that you like, then change what you want over time.

If you can afford the Borealis but don't like the wheelset, then sell it new, or have your LBS swap them out for you.

I was in a similar position, i bought a KHS 3000 as a first fatty (dip the toe in the water) to see if i liked it.

I thought about upgrading it (carbon fork, wheels etc), but would still have wound up with a straight stereer, a rear QR, and unable to run the fattest tires.

I cut bait and just picked up a Mayor Bluto....gets me to a starting point MUCH closer to desired end product than the KHS did, for not too much price difference.

What about something like a Framed Alaskan (pick your model) then add a nice set of wheels?

Chinese Carbon? Full builds start around $2000 USD with carbon wheels.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    chinese carbons don't do the bluto do they?

i was looking at rim options:

current wheel=1.9lb
    whiskey no=1.2lb
    nextie 65=1.1

That doesn't seem to be much savings for the amount of money. I guess i would be able to lose the split tube though, so thats almost another 1/2 pound per wheel.
    I guess it all adds up, so by that token if you start with a frame thats over a pound lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There is also some potential saving for weight depending on the tires you are running.

When i went from Mulefoots, with tubes running 27tpi Nates, to Whiskey, tubeless 120tpi Van helgas it was a 6 pound difference (same hubs so that is not a factor)

mtbr member
    W
    my muk weighs 38.8lbs with frame bag full of tools, inner tube, saw, etc
    How much does it weigh without the extras?

I personally would start with the weight of just the bike. Then figure the weight savings be doing the wheels, tires, fork, etc. If that cost is more than 60-70% the cost of a new bike, then consider your bike options. If it's less, then upgrade the muk.

OTOH I'm 235 lbs. My main bike could easily be 4-5 lbs lighter, but it's nice knowing the extra weight goes into stronger parts....

mtbr member
    oooooh this innanet is serious bidness for ya ozzy! find the culprit! find the imposter! lol
    and banned.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

ebnash
    A few thoughts on some posts made here.

Not hard to have a sub 30lb fat bike when you combine carbon frame/fork and go tubeless.

I have a Pivot Les Fat (26-27lbs. including bottle cages and spare pump) with only changes made below:
    Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8 Tubeless with 300ml of Stans
    75mm Loaded Stem
    Specialized Henge Expert Seat
    Stem mounted bottle opener
    XTR Race pedals

Agreed that Carbon frameset alone does not shed many lbs but when combined with tubeless weight conscious tires, carbon bars and post, it's pretty easy to get under 30lbs.

I weigh 250lbs and have ridden this set up hard over boulder strewn singletrack at speed and nothing has blown up.

I can't comment on Carbon wheels cause I don't have them but HED rims do concern me being single wall and all. I have heard stories of flexiness and they are really expensive.

The reality, though, is that my bike above is in the 5K range so the OP'will have to spend considerably more money to go full carbon as I am running the stock Mulefut/Salsa Hub wheels.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i'm getting analysis paralysis!

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
    A few thoughts on some posts made here.

Not hard to have a sub 30lb fat bike when you combine carbon frame/fork and go tubeless.

I have a Pivot Les Fat (26-27lbs. including bottle cages and spare pump) with only changes made below:
    Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8 Tubeless with 300ml of Stans
    75mm Loaded Stem
    Specialized Henge Expert Seat
    Stem mounted bottle opener
    XTR Race pedals

Agreed that Carbon frameset alone does not shed many lbs but when combined with tubeless weight conscious tires, carbon bars and post, it's pretty easy to get under 30lbs.

I weigh 250lbs and have ridden this set up hard over boulder strewn singletrack at speed and nothing has blown up.

I can't comment on Carbon wheels cause I don't have them but HED rims do concern me being single wall and all. I have heard stories of flexiness and they are really expensive.

The reality, though, is that my bike above is in the 5K range so the OP'will have to spend considerably more money to go full carbon as I am running the stock Mulefut/Salsa Hub wheels.
    whether i upgrade what i have or go all new, i want solid carbon wheels. as i said earlier, i have had two flat due to thorns going out the rim holes.

ebnash
    whether i upgrade what i have or go all new, i want solid carbon wheels. as i said earlier, i have had two flat due to thorns going out the rim holes.
    Understood. Not to be argumentative, but thorns like you've described in your original post will most likely still flat a tire when mounted on any solid type rim.

Either way, if you have the funds, I think you will always be happier with a full build of your own choosing. Good luck and have fun with it.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    not with stans. i have only had flats then the thorns go through the tire and out the rim holes

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I sold my Ti Muk and got an Echo and am very happy with the new ride. The Turnagain rims are heavy and don't play well tubeless. I've decided to ride them for a while, until (I hope) we have more selection / cheaper options for tubeless ready rims. I ride in snow at least 4 months a year, so the Turnagains will become my winter only wheels and I'll probably get a 50mm 29+ wheelset for summer riding.
    Even with the boat anchor wheelset, it is a blast to ride. My other bike is a Ti El Mariachi that weighs considerably less and is a great bike, but it sits in the garage, largely unused these days.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    I sold my Ti Muk and got an Echo and am very happy with the new ride. The Turnagain rims are heavy and don't play well tubeless. I've decided to ride them for a while, until (I hope) we have more selection / cheaper options for tubeless ready rims. I ride in snow at least 4 months a year, so the Turnagains will become my winter only wheels and I'll probably get a 50mm 29+ wheelset for summer riding.
    Even with the boat anchor wheelset, it is a blast to ride. My other bike is a Ti El Mariachi that weighs considerably less and is a great bike, but it sits in the garage, largely unused these days.
    both my skinny bikes are for sale. the fatty is just too much fun! so, i assume you like the echo more then the muk you had? What stands out on it over the muk?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    both my skinny bikes are for sale. the fatty is just too much fun! so, i assume you like the echo more then the muk you had? What stands out on it over the muk?
    It's lighter than the muk (although I did have a Rohloff on the Muk, so that made the back wheel ridiculously heavy) and will fit a 5" tire in the rear. Also, the muk would not take a Bluto. I also like the Echo's geometry - longer top tube, slacker HA, short stem, wide bars.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    It's lighter than the muk (although I did have a Rohloff on the Muk, so that made the back wheel ridiculously heavy) and will fit a 5" tire in the rear. Also, the muk would not take a Bluto. I also like the Echo's geometry - longer top tube, slacker HA, short stem, wide bars.
    you must have had an older muk. mine will fit the bluto, the ha on my muk is slacker then the echo too, 68.5 vs 69.8. top tube is the same.
    i guess what i need to determine is if i would have that much more fun on an echo then i do my current bike. i have a ton of fun on the muk, only time it holds me back is on longer hill climbs - which is why i was wanting to drop weight. i think the bluto would add to the enjoyment too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    you must have had an older muk. mine will fit the bluto, the ha on my muk is slacker then the echo too, 68.5 vs 69.8. top tube is the same.
    i guess what i need to determine is if i would have that much more fun on an echo then i do my current bike. i have a ton of fun on the muk, only time it holds me back is on longer hill climbs - which is why i was wanting to drop weight. i think the bluto would add to the enjoyment too.
    I had an older Muk. I love the Bluto - it simply allows me to go faster on rowdier sections of trail downhill. If you're not riding in snow the 5" tire in the rear doesn't make that big of a difference. It makes a huge difference for me though as I'm frequently riding horribly soft snow. My buddy was the guy who started the thread on whether or not to get a new bike, or put gucci wheels on his older Muk, and I know that the 5" tire compatibility was a big part of his decision to get a new one.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    starting to sound more and more like i should just upgrade current bike. our average yearly snow total is around 20" and it's rare that we get snow and it sticks around for more then a few weeks. i have had the muk for 2 winters now and the tires got me by pretty good.

rth009
    May 2010
    starting to sound more and more like i should just upgrade current bike. our average yearly snow total is around 20" and it's rare that we get snow and it sticks around for more then a few weeks. i have had the muk for 2 winters now and the tires got me by pretty good.
    If you only have 20" of snow annually and you have the newer generation Mukluk with alternator dropouts and bluto compatability, you should keep the Mukluk you have and get some nexties, expertly-laced to quality hubs and a Bluto (or wait a bit and see if a next generation Bluto is announced). Later generation Muks with alternators have good clearance for a 170mm frame.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    based on advice here and also from my lbs i am going to upgrade the muk. i am getting whiskey rims laced to industry 9 hubs and a bluto. i am going to put an xt 10 speed cassette on (has a 9 speed now) and either a new 1 x crank with 28t or just get a 28t to run on the stock inner spider. zee der and xt brakes.

I sold both skinny bikes and will be able to do all these upgrades and still have money left over for some new summer type tires

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity, why do you NEED the Bluto? Maybe I haven't been on fatbike long enough, but I feel like once you get your tire pressure dialed in you don't really need travel in the front as long as you're not descending super technical stuff at a high speed. Not saying anyone is wrong for wanting one, but if I were extremely concerned with weight I would be doing anything I could to talk myself out of a Bluto.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i am hoping it will help the tire follow the trail better in the rough stuff instead of bouncing. i know a guy who is full fat around here, he actually switches between rigid and bluto depending on the trail he is riding.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you NEED the Bluto? Maybe I haven't been on fatbike long enough, but I feel like once you get your tire pressure dialed in you don't really need travel in the front as long as you're not descending super technical stuff at a high speed. Not saying anyone is wrong for wanting one, but if I were extremely concerned with weight I would be doing anything I could to talk myself out of a Bluto.
    Best part I ever put on my fat bike hands down. Fat tires do not equal suspension and adjusting air pressure is for traction and float not for cush. Sure the fat tires smooth out the trail some but the uncontrolled rebound can get bouncy. I run my front around 12psi in the summer and let the fork do what it is there for, very fast and corners like it's on rails.

mtbr member
    Best part I ever put on my fat bike hands down. Fat tires do not equal suspension and adjusting air pressure is for traction and float not for cush. Sure the fat tires smooth out the trail some but the uncontrolled rebound can get bouncy. I run my front around 12psi in the summer and let the fork do what it is there for, very fast and corners like it's on rails.
    I wouldn't count on tire pressure acting as suspension, but I got rid of most of the bounce and chatter on singletrack type riding by dialing in my tire pressure... There seems to be a sweet spot between bouncy and too low where it affects your handling on fast stuff...

Like I said, not saying anyone is wrong. I've never ridden a Bluto before, just looking at it from a weight perspective. I can't talk myself into wanting one because most of my local trails are techy rock garden style riding and that thing weighs a ton. My arms are too weenie to be lifting a 20lb front end all day long.

aka bOb
    My bike only weighs 26 pounds with a Bluto. Oh and I don't have an arm issue

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    i just added a Lefty and I'll echo BOb's sentiments: adding 100mm of travel is the best mod I've done to my 9:Zero:7, hands down, better than tubeless, even. my rigid fork weighed 1240g, my lefty weighs 1420. My bike is still under 32#s. My trails are super techy, with tons of logs and rocks. Rigid, I could gingerly pick my way through them, but there was always a lingering fear of ending up in an oral surgeons's office if i went OTB into a pile of rocks. with a shock up front, 67.5 of rake and 100mm of travel, going through rocky descents is a completely different experience.
    this is an easier descent:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    i just added a Lefty and I'll echo BOb's sentiments: adding 100mm of travel is the best mod I've done to my 9:Zero:7, hands down, better than tubeless, even. my rigid fork weighed 1240g, my lefty weighs 1420. My bike is still under 32#s. My trails are super techy, with tons of logs and rocks. Rigid, I could gingerly pick my way through them, but there was always a lingering fear of ending up in an oral surgeons's office if i went OTB into a pile of rocks. with a shock up front, 67.5 of rake and 100mm of travel, going through rocky descents is a completely different experience.
    this is an easier descent:
    x3 my lefty upgrade made a HUGE difference in the bike.

mtbr member
    I think using the fatty as a year round bike (rather than just for snow/sand) justifies the Bluto.

I'm trying to sell my HT 29'er and plan to use the Mayor year round.

Bluto for summer/trails, carbon fork for winter.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post

Bluto for summer/trails, carbon fork for winter.
    That was my plan as well but after running bluto in wi winter its staying on for all seasons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That was my plan as well but after running bluto in wi winter its staying on for all seasons.
    I feel the same way. Rigid is fine when the trails are smooth, but the hikers tend to make the singletrack bumpy until the bikes have time to smooth it out. Control and comfort is worth the weight to me.
    Laziness Breeds Efficiency

bigger than you.
    I'm selling my rigid fork, i'm not going back.