Help with tires (been gone a while)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Help with tires (been gone a while)

Hey all, I've got a 2013 Mukluk shamefully collecting dust as I've been riding other stuff. It's mostly stock, including the Unholy Darryl rims that weigh something like a metric ton I think. As standards continue to change I've hesitated to put much money into upgrades.

I've got a chance to pick up some relatively inexpensive tubeless ready wheels and an upcoming birthday. I jumped on Google to look at what is currently around for fat bike tires and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

I'm looking for something that plays nice on dirt but rolls relatively fast as I will be riding to and from the trails. We only get decent snow like every other year so that's not a big concern. I'm not sure I can clear much more than 4" out back with the 2x10 drivetrain.

Surly Edna caught my eye, not sure of clearance on my frame but it would definitely fit up front.

Terrvail Coronado looks like it should roll fast(ish).

For reference, I've got some Fat B Nimbles now, they are mostly fine but I don't think they are officially tubeless friendly. Also some old 27tpi Nates that came on the bike which have tons of grip but feel like boat anchors.

Are there any current favorites for hardpack riding/exploring?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Actually, my FbN work VERY well as tubeless. I bought a set of ground control 4.6s for my other bike for summer and one was very difficult to get set up and the other was wire bead and damn near impossible, as in it took days to get it on (oops, didn't mean to buy a wire bead). I use the FbN on my lighter fatbike that I race gravel with, but those tires work very well tubeless IME. Got at least two seasons on em.

They are really skinny for "fat" tires, but that works well for my summer purposes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had the same Mukluk. Great bike. Clearance is indeed limited. Around here the Van Helga is popular as an aggressive summer tire, and Jumbo Jim as a fast rolling tire. I really enjoy my summer combo of Jumbo Jim tubeless on Mulefuts. I used to run the Unholy + tubes + 27 tpi Nateís on my old bike. That was a crazy-ass heavy set up.

Iím not sure how wide the Edna is, but a D5 rubbed badly on the 2x10.

turtles make me hot
    I recently built a fat bike for a friend with Alex Blizzerks in 70mm and Surly Ednas. I was super impressed with the both the rims and the tires. I'd bet that combo fits in a Muk.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good info guys, thanks. I may try the FbN tubeless if that is working for others since I already have them.

Will look at the Jumbo Jims and will research more on Ednas, I'm a flat lander so I don't really use the small ring up front so clearance may be less of an issue for chain line at least. Just don't need to rub the frame on corners.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Lots of good dirt tires should fit just fine in your bike. No need to stuff something overly fat in there. Me? I live in the mountains and rarely need big gears. I only ever used the big ring on the 2x10 for commuting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CanmoreBruce View Post
    Lots of good dirt tires should fit just fine in your bike. No need to stuff something overly fat in there. Me? I live in the mountains and rarely need big gears. I only ever used the big ring on the 2x10 for commuting.
    Your logic is perfectly sound. There's no practical reason for larger than 4" on hardpack dirt I can think of...

However I have a habit of seeing how fat of a tire I can shove into my frames. It makes no real sense, but I enjoy it, which is how I ended up with a fat bike in the first place. I may just try an Edna up front or something, the fork will easily clear it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well in that case, go wild! Iím no stranger to stuffing tires in chainstays. But be warned, it can get expensive. Thatís how I ended up with a 2018 Mukluk with a 197mm rear end.

Edna looks like a good tire. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ended up picking up a pair of Ednas. Was going back and forth between several things but eventually hit the "buy" button with those in the cart. The front tire actually seated with just my floor pump, never had that work before. Back tire needed a shot of air from my soda bottle "compressor".

Need to get rotors and a cassette on there and probably adjust the brakes as I'm assuming they won't just magically line up for me.

Hope to eventually ditch the 2x9 (thought it was 2x10, but nope) and go 1x at some point. The Mukluk will ride again...

turtles make me hot
    If you're gonna buy a drivetrain, don't sell yourself short and get ten speeds. Compare prices on 11 and 12 speed stuff too.
    When I built my Krampus it didn't cost any more to make it 1x11 than 1x10. A month later, I put GX Eagle with a Sunrace cassette on my friend's bike and it cost minimally more than my 11 speed stuff.

You're gonna dig those Ednas.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm going to attempt to keep as much of the current drivetrain as possible, just ditch the granny ring and replace with a narrow wide up front. It's pretty flat here and I generally ride a single speed so gear range isn't much of an issue.

The real point of the project is to get better at doing my own upgrades/repairs. I don't have much experience aside from changing flats. Also as a new(ish) dad having something to wrench on is nice down time when I can't ride.

I'm probably going to be installing things wrong and/or asking a lot of dumb questions in the near future.