HELP -Tired of Walking back to Trailhead -4 broken freehubs this year- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

New question here. HELP -Tired of Walking back to Trailhead -4 broken freehubs this year

I own a great Fuji Wendigo 1.1 and ride mostly in New Jersey, specifically, I spend most of my time at Chimney Rock or Jungle Habitat. I went through 3 freehubs on the stock wheels that came with the bike (formula hub) and recently, within the last month, purchased a set of "rolling darryls) from surly. i put about 5 rides on the rolling darryls and this morning blew out the freehub at Jungle Habitat. Beyond the frustration of the freehub breaking, the 2+ mile walk back wasnt all that fun either.

I have read through the threads, researched online and have yet to truly find a recommendation for a hub/freehub for a fat tire that can last. it seems to be the pawls that are failing and frankly not enough contact points. i have never broken a freehub on a road bike nor on my old 26er. Is it the width of the hub for the fat tire, poor engineering by just elongating a regular MTB hub....i dont know. Anyway, looking for feedback and partial ranting.

As an aside, my LBS has been great.

Again, any feedback greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbfisch23 View Post
    I own a great Fuji Wendigo 1.1 and ride mostly in New Jersey, specifically, I spend most of my time at Chimney Rock or Jungle Habitat. I went through 3 freehubs on the stock wheels that came with the bike (formula hub) and recently, within the last month, purchased a set of "rolling darryls) from surly. i put about 5 rides on the rolling darryls and this morning blew out the freehub at Jungle Habitat. Beyond the frustration of the freehub breaking, the 2+ mile walk back wasnt all that fun either.

I have read through the threads, researched online and have yet to truly find a recommendation for a hub/freehub for a fat tire that can last. it seems to be the pawls that are failing and frankly not enough contact points. i have never broken a freehub on a road bike nor on my old 26er. Is it the width of the hub for the fat tire, poor engineering by just elongating a regular MTB hub....i dont know. Anyway, looking for feedback and partial ranting.

As an aside, my LBS has been great.

Dt Swiss big ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    Yep. DT Swiss or Hope.
    I like turtles

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    going to Jungle Habitat tomorrow, crossing fingers...

i agree with the above, formula hubs are mediocre. DTswiss or i9 minimum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not Hope, still a pawl hub, nice eye candy, but breakable.

DT Swiss are tough because they are not pawl driven, drive mechanism is unique and strong. Chris King would be good, but they don't make fat hubs. Onyx are amazing, but they're heavy and expensive.

Once you have those expensive wheels built and you add a Mastodon, all you need is a good frame and you'll have a custom fatty

since 4/10/2009
    At least you have a thru axle on that frame, from what I can tell. That will help.

Hopes are better than the mediocre hubs you have now, but impossible to say if they would fix your problem.

The problem is the hub width. The wider the hub gets, the more likely everything will be to flex. The problem really happens where the freehub mechanism meets the hub shell. That's your weak point. At least on the Hopes (no idea about what you have), there's the axle running through the whole hub (and freehub). #2 in this diagram. Lots of hubs are designed this way. But that's the piece that flexes (and your thru-axle or QR - since the QR is a smaller/weaker piece, it allows more flex). Since the hub shell and the freehub are different parts, they move a touch relative to each other when the flexing happens. AFAIK, this flex happens on all hubs. It becomes a problem for fat hubs because of the width. Some designs can work better with this movement than others. DT and Onyx have a different design than Hope and I9 (whose designs are very similar), and at least from what I've seen on the interwebs, are holding up better for others who have had problems.

I have 177mm wide Hopes on my Bucksaw and am doing well. I've replaced the bearings (all of them, though the freehub bearings were really the only ones in need of it) once after about 1500mi or so. I am also not a person who is hard on hubs historically. So I have a bit more wiggle room.

mtbr member
    I own a great Fuji Wendigo 1.1 and ride mostly in New Jersey, specifically, I spend most of my time at Chimney Rock or Jungle Habitat.

I ride the same area. Get a DT Swiss 350. If you want it built right, I would go to Hilltop cycles in Summit and ask for Jim V. He builds a ton of fat bike wheels and knows what he is doing

All fat, all the time.
    DT Swiss or onyx.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Dt Swiss big ride

Second.

Hope doesn't use quite as good of a mech and is nice if you want colors, but when you want the mech to work and want simplicity, DT Swiss is where it's at.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    +100% DT Swiss big ride 350. I gave up on Hope.... & no problems since. I just make sure I clean & light grease it once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    I know it matters not on a consumer site, but I'd be happier recommending DT is they would straighten out their MAP pricing.

I'm able to make my full (still less than "retail gouging") price on their higher end offerings, but have to take a 20% haircut on my standard margin to even come close to MAP on the 350 series.

Contacted DT to ask about that, and was met with "yawn".

I prefer brands that actually support brick and mortar shops ability to make a living, while still providing a solid product.

Hope does that, and still provides a great product so both consumer, and builder win, not just "the brand".....

That they offer stainless freehub bodies now, just means when their less that premium bearings crap out a year or so later, $30 in Enduro Max and you're off and running.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Goodness, are those Hope hubs pretty, too!

mtbr member
    As mentioned, DT Swiss Big ride is the answer, and not crazy expensive.

If you want to spend ALOT of money, then Onyx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    thanks for all of your input. still working on warranty issues with fuji for the original rear wheel and with surly on their hub. in the interim i purchased a DT swiss big ride 350 hub and surly rim for the rear. keeping fingers crossed

again thanks

turtles make me hot
    Once you ride with that DT Swiss/ Surly wheel you'll never go back to the other one.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just to clarify Surly Rolling Darryl's are just the rim and have nothing to do with your broken freehub issues. Formula hubs are used in many wheels, and are often branded for various company's. "Salsa" hubs that come on many of there bikes are nothing more than a formula hub (and to be clear, these are in no way associated with Formula brakes).

I'd be curious to know how you are breaking them. What part is failing. There are a variety of reasons why hubs fail and there are many good hubs out there as others have mentioned. Hope, DT, Onyx are all great options, but maybe the cause of failure is the rider as well. Just because DT/Hope work for me and the way I ride, doesn't necessarily mean they will work for you. Riding style, terrain, condition, MAINTENANCE!! all affect how the machine will treat you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not sure if anyone will see this but I have a Wednesday (1st run) and the rear hub is a formula. I am now on my third set of internals for the hub (if you count what it came with). Both times I had it replaced the shop said it was the pawls/springs. Both time it happened I was pedaling up hill nothing too crazy and on climbs I've done plenty of times before. Honestly I know Surly has to make certain compromises to reach their price point but they are also known for their tank-like quality and it's kinda weird that a super main part of their bike seems prone to failure. Still only ride surly and love everything about them but no one is free from criticism.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Not all who wander are lost...

"Chigs dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I'm a happy hour hero!

turtles make me hot
    ^^This is why I buy framesets and not complete bicycles. I always spec my own wheels.
    I like turtles

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    ^^This is why I buy framesets and not complete bicycles. I always spec my own wheels.
    Exactly, I like to spec everything personally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not all of us have that luxury

"Chigs dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I'm a happy hour hero!

All fat, all the time.
    Well you have the option to put a different hub in if it keeps failing.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shkenblke View Post
    Not sure if anyone will see this but I have a Wednesday (1st run) and the rear hub is a formula. I am now on my third set of internals for the hub (if you count what it came with). Both times I had it replaced the shop said it was the pawls/springs. Both time it happened I was pedaling up hill nothing too crazy and on climbs I've done plenty of times before.
    i have the same bike. had two sets of the stock wed wheels with formula hubs. yes, i broke both. NEVER. AGAIN.

now it is Swissy hubs or a definitive long walk back to the car...

I.. ride mostly in New Jersey, specifically,... Jungle Habitat. ... the 2+ mile walk back wasnt all that fun either.
    been there, done that, literally...
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

since 4/10/2009
    Not sure if anyone will see this but I have a Wednesday (1st run) and the rear hub is a formula. I am now on my third set of internals for the hub (if you count what it came with). Both times I had it replaced the shop said it was the pawls/springs. Both time it happened I was pedaling up hill nothing too crazy and on climbs I've done plenty of times before. Honestly I know Surly has to make certain compromises to reach their price point but they are also known for their tank-like quality and it's kinda weird that a super main part of their bike seems prone to failure. Still only ride surly and love everything about them but no one is free from criticism.

1. all hubs flex, and those with weaker axles and quick releases flex more
    2. fatbike hubs flex more (wider hub spacing, fatbike hubs are not built any stouter than non-fat offerings, it's physics)
    3. some subset of riders are harder on hubs than others through some combination of rider weight, power output, and riding style
    4. some hubs are better able to withstand riders of the previous category than others. they tend to be more expensive, but not all expensive hubs are equally up to the task.

So, if you're a rider described in point 3, you have a few things you can do.
    1. ride bikes with narrower hubs and/or thru axles
    2. change your riding style
    3. lose weight
    4. spend more money on a hub that's more robust.

Some of those are impractical for everyone all the time. Some will take time to change, still leaving you in the lurch with less robust hubs.

Everyone has the ability to do this. Buying the bike in the first place is a luxury. Maybe it takes you longer to save the money you need to do this so you have a bike that's built how you want it. So what? I saved for several months to build each of my last 3 bikes exactly how I wanted them. I worked extra hours. I did odd jobs. I sold stuff I had and didn't use much. I also found places I could save money. I bought some stuff used. I found deals.

You know what I've never had on any of those bikes? Parts that broke because they weren't up to me or my riding style.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was referring to always building up from a frame. It is much more cost effective to buy a complete bike. Would I live to build all my bikes from the ground up per my choosing? Hell yeah I would, but I can't. It sounded as if all people should do that and if things were lost in translation then my bad.

I'm a happy hour hero!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    3. lose weight.
    Wait... its called a Fatbike.

Is this a "seriously funny" contradiction like riding a "stationary bike" as your "full-time hobby" or have I "clearly misunderstood" the "political correctness" of a "genuine illusion" that is "hidden in plain view"?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by k.b. View Post

Is this a "seriously funny" contradiction like riding a "stationary bike" as your "full-time hobby" or have I "clearly misunderstood" the "political correctness" of a "genuine illusion" that is "hidden in plain view"?
    It has fat tires. Nothing about it requires you to be a fat *** to ride it.

Death from Below.

since 4/10/2009
    I was referring to always building up from a frame. It is much more cost effective to buy a complete bike. Would I live to build all my bikes from the ground up per my choosing? Hell yeah I would, but I can't. It sounded as if all people should do that and if things were lost in translation then my bad.

It's not more cost effective to buy a complete bike if you have problems with insufficient parts failing frequently because they can't handle the riding you do.

heavier riders are going to break more parts. parts that are strong enough to withstand heavier riders aren't always going to be the ones equipped on bikes that are built the way they are to achieve a price point. not everyone has weight to lose, but losing some weight can be cheaper than buying new parts. if we're honest with ourselves, most could stand to lose a little (myself included). like leduke pointed out, it's called a fatbike because of the fat tires, not because of anything about the rider. they're generally not built any stronger than any other bikes. and because the hubs are wider, they're often more prone to failure.

All fat, all the time.
    We chose to not have kids, so I spend that on bike and Jeep stuff

I buy a lot of clearance, discounted, year old etc parts when building up bikes, or even use stuff in the parts bin.

I don't like walking out, longest one was 8 miles in Pisgah. Not fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Humor is a funny thing. I use it as the antidote to overthinking.

"Whoosh. What is that noise up above our heads?"

since 4/10/2009
    Humor is a funny thing. I use it as the antidote to overthinking.

"Whoosh. What is that noise up above our heads?"
    Sometimes, failure to pick up on the humor has nothing to do with the reader

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Must use more Smiley's we're pretty grumpy and dense around here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I heard that millennials don't have as great a sense of humor as the boomers. They get their dopamine from claiming victory in internet debates.

Guess that is better than obtaining a sense of euphoria by eating donuts - and then getting too overweight to ride your Fatbike!

turtles make me hot
    My friend's daughter calls fat bikes "fat guy bikes". I guess SHE thinks you have to be fat to ride one.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I9. Never had any issues. Robust. Expensive and worth it in weight. And sound

since 4/10/2009
    I heard that millennials don't have as great a sense of humor
    You underestimate my age and overestimate your humor.

mtbr member

For what it is worth, the last 4 bikes I've purchased were all built from the frame. My fatbike cost me less than a stock wednesday with past grupo XT parts, RF turbine crank& seatpost, BB7 brakes while the hubset is comparable. The Wednesday is a better frame in my opinion, but it is possible to build on a budget and get what you need.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Sometimes, failure to pick up on the humor has nothing to do with the reader

But put it in:

and the hilarity is undeniable.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecheesehead View Post
    but put it in:

and the hilarity is "undeniable."
    fify

All fat, all the time.
    I heard that millennials don't have as great a sense of humor as the boomers. They get their dopamine from claiming victory in internet debates.

Guess that is better than obtaining a sense of euphoria by eating donuts - and then getting too overweight to ride your Fatbike!
    That could be true.
    I snuck into GenX, I like good jokes. keyword good. witty and sometimes crude, like family guy.