Help With Mukluk Front Derailleur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Been looking for similar answer. From what i have read here i understand that a 10 speed derailleur will not work well with a 9 speed crank.
    Seems 10 speed or 9 speed front shifters will work with either 10 or 9 speed front derailleurs though.

Supposedly the 10 speed derailleur does not push the chain enough to make a clean shift on a 9 speed crank. Vice versa for 9 speed derailleur on a 10 speed crank.

Also, from what i read here, the movement (amount of throw-less or too much) is a function of the derailleur and not the front shifter.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7254872

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)

More info here.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member

Help With Mukluk Front Derailleur

Okay, I searched the forum, I swear! Still need help:

I've decided to skip the Moonlander and build up a "Crawler" Mukluk with GFS 80mm rims and BFLs. I will be using the Origin 8 Sub Compact crank with either 22/32 chainrings or maybe 22/36 for a 2x9 (or 2x however many I can use without tire rub) setup.

My question is... what front derailleur should I use? I see all of the SRAM High Direct Mount derailleurs seem to be 10 speed. Will these work for 9-speed chains?

If any of you guys have experience with this crank and/or derailleurs for a Mukluk please let me know. My frame is on the way and I have never laid eyes on a Mukluk in person before... so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My 2012 Mukluk 3 came with a sram 10 sp front derailleur. Its stock drive train was 9 speed (w/ 24/36 and 12-36).

The only rubbing on the drivetrain was against the tire while on the 24t and on lowest 2 cassette cogs. I could do 36/36 w/out any problems. Hope thats helpful!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess View Post
    My 2012 Mukluk 3 came with a sram 10 sp front derailleur. Its stock drive train was 9 speed (w/ 24/36 and 12-36).

The only rubbing on the drivetrain was against the tire while on the 24t and on lowest 2 cassette cogs. I could do 36/36 w/out any problems. Hope thats helpful!
    How do you know it's a ten speed front? Salsa specs look like a standard x7 three speed for 9 speed. This 10 speed crap has made it confusing. I bought, incorrectly, a 10 speed xt e mount front derailleur. The labeling is poor on this stuff! That's why I ask.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Why not just use the 9 spd shimano derailleurs that were used on the Muk 1s? They're cheap and work with sram shifters, if that's your preference.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    How do you know it's a ten speed front? Salsa specs look like a standard x7 three speed for 9 speed. This 10 speed crap has made it confusing. I bought, incorrectly, a 10 speed xt e mount front derailleur. The labeling is poor on this stuff! That's why I ask.
    On my Mukluk 3, the front derailleur says "SRAM x7" and "3x10" on the outside of the derailleur cage.

of course, the Mukluk 3 also comes with gripshifters, which allow me to trim the FD, so that might resolve the issues with shifting quality you've read about--my front shifting feels fine.

mtbr member
    SLX (for 9sp triple)
    rings 20+36. Works nice

mtbr member
    but gonna to buy double SLX in future.